Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're in Europe you might wanna use Tele2s Speedtest service since they offer 10Gbps anycast servers well-distributed in Europe (although if you're in the US and testing up to +1Gbps, the bandwidth delay product from the US shouldn't be an issue).

Also, while it's a popular option for reasons I'm not entirely sure about, you may want to avoid using iperf3 - since is designed intentionally to be single-threaded because this design doesn't run into some of the issues that the Linux netstack has with multi-threading.
There's also a bunch of minor differences that you're probably unlikely to run into, if you just want to see some numbers.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, the New UI is completely unfinished to the point that I've reverted to using the old one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The problem with expecting all of those features is that DFS is the only one that's required by law (because of the 5GHz ISM band intersecting with radar) - so ODMs will cut out anything that isn't required by law to produce a cheaper product so they can make money on the margins.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since the APs have to have power, it always seemed easier to me to use PoE.
In addition to that, I blame CCIE Wireless for knowing too much about 802.11 to the point that I don't trust it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Are there any services you're accessing which are IPv6-only? If not, I can't see that there's a good reason to spend the money - especially when you can setup a tunnel to Hurricane Electric in order to get IPv6 for free.

Alternatively, if you have a server with IPv6 and ssh access, you can ssh -D 1080, then configure your browser to proxy via SOCKS5 on localhost:1080 and tell the browser to send DNS over the proxy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Now I'm down a rabbit hole of optimizing your wifi youtubes.
As someone currently not even sure about the location of the CCIE Wireless laminated cert, I can tell you that this way lies madness.

Hint: Unless otherwise specified, access points are omni-directional and beam-forming for the 5GHz ISM band is gonna be a lot more useful to you than trying to ensure that it has "the right orientation".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

What? That's bullshit, even for Cisco.
I mean, unless you're hanging it off the wall like a clock, it really is omni-directional.

EDIT: The Unifi controller even has a floor plan diagramming where you can indicate wall width and material and get signal attenuation approximation for wall if you upload a png of a floorplan of your house.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 4, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I guess I'll have time to do this on paternity leave right?

edit: For a question, now that I have a full Unifi setup (controller/APs), are there any built-in tools that would help me optimize my wifi setup/AP locations/etc? Or should I still use something like Netspot?
Once you set up the floor planning with wall material and thickness, you can press a button called "Auto Channels" and it'll do some nebulous optimization.

Whether it's any good is anyone's guess - but that's true for any auto-optimization.

Martytoof posted:

I was just tooling around the UI community site and I think I saw several people say their APs orient outward from the top but honestly I have no idea what that means in actual signal terms. Lots of research for me to do.
I'm not sure what it means either.
Is there any indication that they know what they're talking about? :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, egg aaaaaall over my face. :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Be right back, buying fiber that can carry PoE.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I use mikrotik routers because scripting your own dyndns updater is "fun".
On the off-chance you're not aware, afraid.org works via HTTP POST and they even offer to generate a cron script for you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of switches, are 6 port 1GBaseT NICs still a thing, like it used to be with 6-port 100BaseTX NICs?
Because with netmap(4) in FreeBSD, I'm pretty sure it should be possible to do in-kernel switching for up to 36 ports (ie. 72Gbps bi-directionally, which I remember it topping out at on at-the-time old hardware some number of years ago) on a standard motherboard with five daugherboards, while using the NIC on the motherboard/CPU for WAN.

EDIT: Apparently it is, and there's even a SFP model.

EDIT2: Now I'm thinking about how this could be used to build an all-in-one router+switch+database+fileserver+mediacenter+workstation virtualization monster.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 13, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Anyone buying into mesh has amde their own bed and can sleep in it for all I care. This is my professional opinion I also give at work.
It's not opinion, it's fact. :smugbert:

Cyks posted:

I don't know what the cost on those are but I'm not sure what you are going for over just installing a hypervisor and running everything on it. Just get a 4 port nic off ebay for <$30.

Except for the switch. Just a dedicated switch; they are cheap.
The idea was whether it's possible to do everything networking in software, so that everything can be combined into one single machine.
I didn't say it was a good idea.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

My ISP came to my house and replaced my fiber modem, while he was at it he also threw away my own network router and replaced it with their own. It's faster and better he said (to my SO, I was at work). So when I come home I see the new router and sure enough have ludicrous fast internet by my standards now, something like 475mbps down and 100mbps up for 29.90 a month. But it sorta left me with a bad taste that they replaced my own router with their own and then locked me out of it. So I can't put in my own DNS to use a pi-hole server for the local network.

I guess I could just install my own router after theirs and route the home network through my own router anyway. Just bugs me.
Dual-NAT is a pain; check if they do bridging.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Unifi Security Gateway I have does it, and that's super low-end (only capable of doing 1/1Gbps because of the ASIC included next to the CN5020, which is really just a 500MHz MIPS64 SoC with 512MB RAM and 4GB storage), so I imagine there's lots of gear that does it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kivi posted:

Would something like this https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/poe-injectors/poe-injector-4-port-gigabit-802.3at-af-mode-a work with 2.5GbE too? I can't use switch because some of the stuff is on the WAN side (outdoors 5G box) and some of them are on the LAN side.
The function of 802.3af is to supply 48VDC on pair #2 and #3 or #1 and #4 respectively whereas the bandwidth of a given link is determined by the base frequency, with both 802.3ab and 802.3bz using 100MHz signaling and only varying the bits per hz/symbol rate by switching the line coding.
So I don't immediately see how a PoE injector can interfere with that, but on the other hand only 802.3bt explicitly references 802.3bz.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wireless fiber is the new hotness!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

Thankfully it was classified as an "installation" issue so I didn't get charged for it. The tech replaced the ONT with a fiber outlet and changed out the previous router with a "BGW320-500", so I think I got an upgrade. I'd like to use my own gear, but the WiFi (4x4ax) outclasses my AP (2x2ac) and I don't have a router that can take an SFP module, so maybe I'll rework my setup instead.
It might have more MIMO channels but unless you have gear that also has that many MIMO channels, or have enough devices that one radio is too little, you can't take advantage of it.

802.11ax has its own set of problems:
This one is mostly for for battery-powered devices, but the fast fourier transformations and forward error correction are always active and computing them require considerable amount of power.
There's also the issue that it's primarily designed for many simultaneous low-rate data transmissions whereas typical web-browsing consists largely of few high-rate data transmissions.
OFDMA is also inheritly more subject to inter-cell and intra-cell interference, which means that if you're in a highly congested area and your neighbours have 802.11ax setup as well, the closer you get to their cell the lower signal strength you'll have unless the base stations are talking to each other which they won't be, since they're on separate networks.
This is further complicated by the use of higher frequencies, which get worse and worse at penetrating any building material as you approach the upper end of the ISM bands.

Also, radiation patterning might be better, although there's really no way to know that except to plot it - but at least it's one of the areas where there's still a good correlation between the manufacturing cost of a device (which is always very low for CPE, which are built down to a price) and the result you get.

If it was me making the decision, I'd probably stick with your old AP, if you know that one works well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KS posted:

Nor is it any better if you’re just using streaming services. 4K streams top out at 40mbit. Even 4K Blu-rays uncompressed are doable on mediocre WiFi.
Tell us you live in the sticks without telling us you live in the sticks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KS posted:

Yeah fair, not in the sticks but on 3/4 of an acre and my spectrum looks like this.

If you're in a highrise, early adopt 6E I guess.
A single page ago I was posting about how bad 802.11ax is for highly contented spectrums.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Is it actually a common scenario to have so many rogue networks around that even 5GHz won't deliver acceptable performance? Between poor penetration for a lot of building materials and the number of available channels, I haven't ever seen that personally but I'm also not trying to implement Wi-Fi in high-rise apartments.

A quick search indicates that most housing in the US is detached single units so if that's your standard for "in the sticks" you're going to see it a lot.
Well, admittedly I live in the sticks too by this definition - but even if the signal attenuation of the 5GHz spectrum won't impact detached single units, zoning regulations might change as a result of detached single unit building being highly uneconomical, on top of which the US isn't the only market that wireless networking is used in.
In addition to that, the 5GHz band is an ISM spectrum so there's no reason to believe more devices won't take advantage of the unlicensed nature of that up to the legal limits - so even if it isn't crowded right now (which is an untested hypothesis), it probably will be in the future because there's no point at which airtime availability in the ISM bands has outpaced the number of new devices being added vs the number of old devices being removed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Are things like Adguard and pi-hole complete DNS replacements or do they pass through normal requests to a primary dns resolver like Cloudflare?
In order for them to be ~true~ DNS replacements, they need to include an authoritative name server daemon like BIND or nsd (from the people who make unbound, if you're familiar with that).

So far as I know, both use dnsmasq which is just a caching DNS resolver and DHCP daemon.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'd be interested to hear from people who've used TP-Link+Omada - it's a self-hosted central controller like Ubiquiti has with Unifi, and supposedly TP-Link or at least their business line is far better than the old consumer gear they used to produce.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bobfather posted:

I know TP Link is a big company, but I'm very unimpressed with the engineers that work on their Deco line. Hopefully the Omada crew are better.

To summarize my qualm: Decos, except for the feature-limited M5 model (and only that model only with a beta firmware), cannot be manually routed. By default, all nodes prefer to connect to the main unit that plugs into WAN. Unfortunately, this can result in scenarios like the below, where node A bypasses B and wants to connect to C, the main unit, despite getting low signal and 10mbps from that routing versus high signal and 200+ mbps from routing A - B - C. Tis really stupid.

A ---- B ---- C
Yeah, wifi meshing just... isn't.
Like, it's not a technology that exists.

PR people will try to sell it from time to time, but it doesn't exist in any way-shape-or-form that they promise, and what you get is a mess that won't ever work reliably unless you baby it to the point that you're spending a considerable amount of hours doing signal calibration a week, or if you live several hundreds of meters from anyone and only have the individual access point airtime sharing timings to deal with.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 31, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cyks posted:

I have an EAP610 and I appreciate that it’s more available than the UAP-6-lite and it allows for web configuration (No Omada controller needed, even for advanced features) but drat is it huge in comparison and the lack of DFS is kind of a bummer. There’s always a chance that it might be available in the future but the truth is supporting our regulations just isn’t the primary focus. From my understanding even the 660HD and 620HD don’t, but the EU firmware does. And the forum support being largely one account that will “pass on suggestions/questions” isn’t great either.

I’ll stand by their smart switches as I personally think they are the best in class for price. I’ve also had pretty good luck with longevity of their consumer routers and the EAP225 is very reasonably priced. I just personally wouldn’t invest any considerable amount into their products at this time.
What do you mean DFS is lacking? That's required for devices operating in the 5GHz ISM band, because otherwise the AP can interfere with radar.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Icept posted:

Lol for real? What's the point then (genuinely curious)?

PPPoE requires AAA, but implementing and maintaining AAA is a huge amount of work which isn't worth it unless you're gonna charge customers coming and going (ie. both when they use any bandwidth, but also if they exceed quotas).

Since that's a good way to become very unpopular as an ISP, most of them have given up unless they have an actual monopoly.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

Does the Dream Router use hardware acceleration for routing?

The ER-X achieves that routing speed by utilizing hardware offloading, which effectively removes the CPU from the routing process (it doesn't but the load is significantly reduced). Removing the offload means that it uses the CPU for routing, and that tanks the effective speed.

If the Dream Router isn't using any hardware acceleration for routing, then 800mbit is understandable for that kind of CPU. Not saying it's great, just that the performance matches with the hardware being used.
All Ubiquiti gear uses ASICs for their routing (and IDS/IPS), as does basically anything you can buy nowadays (anywhere from the low-end MIPS routers, made a decade ago to brand new multi-Tbps gear); you can't do anything like the speeds they're claiming, purely in software, at those CPU frequencies.

Handling packets is a very well-scoped issue (*), so doing it in an FPGA or ASIC is not just easy, it's also become incredibly cheap.

*: It's so well-scoped, the BSD Packet Filter has been a virtual machine for it since the early 90s when it was invented.
Weirdly, though, BPF nowadays gets used for kernel and userspace tracing in Linux, for reasons that defy all explanation other than: dtrace is CDDL and some lawyers think that GPL is compatible with CDDL.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 28, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You have one of two options:
1: A RIPE Atlas probe (it's free if they approve your request - usually it's no problem to get approval).
Atlas is a internet measuring system whereby RIPE collects and publishes all the anonymized connection, and if you participate by hosting a probe, you earn credits to be able to set up your own measurements (in addition to the ones automatically performed by RIPE in order to provide the basic functionality).
2: Setup smokeping.
This is a lot more work - in addition to setting up smokeping itself, finding servers to ping arbitrarily that won't oppotunistically drop your data like a lot of internet routers and public endpoints (like DNS servers) will, is no small task.

Those are pretty much the only tools that're universally recognized for this kind of thing - but if your ISp is lovely enough, they might refuse to even acknowledge the data generated by either, in which case there's pretty much nothing you can do other than keep going through their script and demanding to be escalated to a higher tier.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

The ISP is Comcast. Sooo, yeah. Their (in)ability to provide stable connections is a prime reason several friends of mine have skipped off to other services. Sadly their market-monopoly tactics can make that a challenge in many areas.

At best you can try removing your router and connecting straight to the Comcast box temporarily and seeing if you still get the drops. If so, as BSD says, not much you can do other than bitch at them and hope they figure their crap out eventually. Or see if there's another ISP available in your building.
I was checking the Atlas site for other things and noticed that Comcast is sponsoring them - which is hilarious. :v:

VelociBacon posted:

I'm one of the dozens of people that live outside the USA, the ISP is actually 'Shaw'. It might be the same infrastructure. I've heard horrible things about Comcast, this is our version of that evil.

Apparently there is an xb7 modem that the tech is bringing today, maybe that will help!

The RIPE atlas thing sounds interesting. I'll read more about it but from an InfoSec perspective I'd want to have root control over anything I'm plugging into my network, just to ensure it's not an unintended vulnerability.

e: looks like the probes actually do have great documentation with source code/APIs on their site. Can even use command line, neat.
As far as I remember the situation in Canadia, Shaw and Bell Canada have a duopoly where they don't serve the same areas, so you're effectively hosed for choice as much as a lot of Comcast customers are?

What's the actual connection you have; DSL (via the phone line, can be variants like ADSL or G.Star), DOCSIS (via tv cable, which is a shared medium like wifi is), or fiber (can be to the last mile with copper the rest of the way, or fiber to the home)?

I'm an infosec guy too, I wouldn't recommend Atlas probes if I knew them to be poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I feel like you can get whatever ISP at pretty much any address here (in a main Canadian city), it's mostly about whether fiber has been ran to your building or not. In my case I'm in a building built in 1999 and my connection is over DOCSIS. I was typing this out on my phone and my internet connection dropped again, with the new modem displaying the LED debug code for 'upstream registration'. Guess I'm escalating whatever on the ISP side tomorrow.

I've ran multiple scans with malwarebytes and windows AV and have found nothing. The ISP tech seemed to know more or less what he was doing from the hardware side and suggested that it could be malicious code on my pc affecting the modem. I've never heard of someone going after modem access after they have the ability to remotely issue commands on a machine in the LAN so I dunno how much I believe that.
Yeah, if you've got any kind of DOCSIS, since it's a shared medium you might have a chat with the other people you share a CMTS with, to hear whether they experience anything like it - if they do, you know it's a bigger issue than the ISPs are making it out to be, and if not you've pretty much isolated it to your own setup.

If they're suggesting malicious code going after modem access, they're absolutely going through a script since there's basically no point in doing that.
Anyone not spearfishing can make much more money mining buttcoin on your equipment than trying to blackmail you, anyone spearfishing is likely to not bother with small stuff like that, and anyone attempting identity theft won't be trying to alert you to their presence.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 30, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

movax posted:

feed my itch to have every possible slot populated and in use.
Huge :mood:

Does the machine have a SIM slot, or are you planning on using eSIM for the WWAN NIC?
You should probably also figure out if the WWAN modem is supported in FreeBSD, as the vast majority of the ones on M.2 or mini-pcie aren't - since almost all new WWAN NICs use the proprietary standard caled QMI (which is barely supported on Linux, let alone anything else - so maybe the best option is to pass it through to a Linux guest which can then bridge it with a virtual NIC you've got connected to your router guest OS).

As for memory negotiation, I have at least one piece of gear at home that refuses to boot with CL16 memory, but will boot just fine with CL17. :shrug:
Maybe dmidecode can help figure out memory training?

If you're doing Proxmox, I hope the system has SR-IOV support as that makes virtualization of NICs much simpler.

It's a super sweet system, though - would love to see some networking benchmarks done on it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 16, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

movax posted:

Nah — the WWAN slot is physically not present / I’m not sure it would work if I soldered a connector on it. No one seems to make a LTE 2230 modem, but it seems like a GPS module might exist (lots of 2242, not a lot of 2230 sadly) from a few random companies. Or I’ll design a board for some u.blox module in 2230 and FOSS the files.

Either way I’d probably pass the device to a guest VM / Linux VM as I don’t think FreeBSD is as strong as Linux when it comes to GPS integration.

Not sure if the desktop chipset / Rocket Lake does SR-IOV, but don’t think I need it if I just give the whole T520 to OPNsense.
Yeah, it's a real bummer to source WWAN modems in general.

There's good news on the gps front, astro/gpsd works well - at least when I tested it with the Sony Ericsson F5521gw that was in my T420 for years before the HSPA network closed in Denmark.
Also, PPS_SYNC has been in the kernel since October last year.

Currently I have a Intel XMM7360 WWAN NIC in my T480s - but as is the case with ThinkPads, some of the devices are firmware locked and I don't think the T480s firmware has been hacked yet.
Unfortunately it isn't supported yet in FreeBSD either, so I may have to throw NetBSD in a bhyve guest and use PCI passthrough and bridging there at some point when I get around to it.

As an alternative to QMI, there's always MBIM - which has been making a bit of progress lately.

The advantage of SR-IOV is that it makes one device appear as anywhere from 16 to 64 devices attached directly on the PCI bus, depending on how you configure the virtual functions.
Each one can be used with a separate guest by the hypervisor (or as a FreeBSD jail network device), without a need for the typical vSwitch configuration.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 18, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Volguus posted:

Is there a network card/chip with SFP+ ports that can negotiate at 2.5Gbps?

Explanation: I live in Canada and I have Bell FTTH with their HomeHub 3000 modem. I pay for a 1Gbps plan. I would like to get the 1.5Gbps plan, however, to make use of it I'd have to use the HomeHub as the actual router as well and that's not acceptable. Currently I have a normal PC as the gateway and I bypass the modem with plain and simple ppoe, while being plugged into one of the network ports of that modem. The optical cable from outside goes into that modem via a SFP+ transceiver that apparently can be removed and plugged into whatever SFP+ port you like.

Therefore, I'd like to buy a 2 port SFP+ network card, a switch with one (or more) SFP+ ports and improve the overall internet speed in my house. If the switch would have 2 SFP+ ports I could even connect one to the downloads machine for instant linux isos. But, from what I could gather from the internet is seems that:

- The HomeHub 3000 optical port negotiates at 2.5Gbps. Not 10 like normal chips.
- All SFP+ ports cards that I can find can only negotiate at 1 and 10 Gbps
- There are cards (like https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/details/ethernet/700-network-adapters/x710-network-adapters.html) that can do 2.5 but apparently only for RJ45 port not SFP+.
- There seem to be adapters out there that convert from optical cable to RJ45 but none of them seem to say if they negotiate the optical port at 2.5Gbps or not
- There are threads on dslreports that have patched Broadcom drivers for FreeBSD (well, pfsense) that apparently allow a card with that chip to connect at 2.5Gbps, but I'm not sure yet if I wanna trust those. Plus I run OpenBSD on my gateway, but I guess I could downgrade to FreeBSD if I had to.

What am I missing here? Is this the state of FTTH and there's nothing I can do until Bell does whatever it is they do on the other end and can negotiate at 10Gbps? If that's all there is ... well, it sucks.
2.5G Ethernet over RJ45 is an intermediary technology, to repurpose existing copper, rather than having to pull new cable which would make sense to do as fiber which can do 10G+ - so it doesn't make sense that it'd be part of SFP+ (and I sure don't remember it being part of the specs, from the two decades working as a network admin).

I would also be entirely unsurprised to learn that Broadcom makes these available to ISPs to help with vendor lock-invendors offer customers the best solution.

If you go the SFP+-to-RJ45 route, please remember that you still benefit from having fiber around the home if you're doing iSCSI or any form of very latency-sensitive network stuff, since SFP+ has an order of magnitude smaller latency than RJ45.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you just need regular website access and not something that involves streaming, the SoftEther VPN Project from a bunch of folks across multiple years at University of Tsukuba, Japan is completely free.

If you need to stream content, please pay for any number of semi-shady companies that specialize in avoiding streaming blocks that do logging despite claiming not to, because that takes up a large portion of bandwidth of free and legitimately useful VPN services and will eventually get the hosts blocked by the streaming companies anyway.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KS posted:

You have another problem here which is pppoe performance on BSD is hot garbage thanks to this 2nd source. You will have trouble hitting 1 gbit let alone 3. You may want to avoid Intel. Just be forewarned it's going to take experimenting.
It looks to me like they're using ppp(8) which is also known as user-ppp and exists because it's not exactly trivial to rootcause ppp issues in kernel-space unless you really love dropping to a debugger.

The user-space daemon above is really meant to be combined with ng_ppp(4)/ng_pppoe(4) via netgraph(3), with the idea being that you figure out how to configure ppp using user-ppp along with a call script, and then transition it to using net/mpd5 as described here (and many other places).
It can also do multi-homing, which is how people did +256kbps on ISDN back in the 90s, which is when netgraph was create.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 3, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I upgraded my ISP to Sonic, and the technician installing it told me the cable and outdoor box they used has 10GBps. Now I’m not sure what I would even need that level of speed for, so is it worth it to buy a bunch of cat6 cable for my home devices? What actually gets better with 10GBps that I don’t already get at 1GBps?
I'd say the real benefit to 10Gbps FTTH is if you can get it terminated in your own server via a GPON-capable SFP+ module, and from there share the connection with other machines also connected via 10G SFP+.

LRADIKAL posted:

Is there anything really useful with 10gb internet that doesn't break terms of service? Many (most?) devices trying to stream that much data will be the bottleneck, rather than the connection, and if that's not the issue, there's probably not a lot of sources of that speed either. It would make sense to give a whole apartment 10GB and divide it from there...
Realistically you need multiple connections to satuate 10Gbps.

While it's possible to use tools like pkt-gen (part of netmap - available in FreeBSDs base system, and as a module for Linux), it's up a level of traffic that you're not gonna see unless you already need more than 10Gbps for business use-cases.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hed posted:

Top of the page seems relevant… I got two UniFi 6 Pro APs to replace my old Ubiquiti frisbee that does b/g/n.

Do I need the controller software if I’m just trying to run two APs with multiple VLAN/SSIDs in the house?

My current setup is a trunk port to the existing Unifi WAP, with two VLANs for my two SSIDs. I would be fine just continuing this setup but things I’m reading online claim that going from one WAP to two I should use the controller. Obviously I’d need to feed more VLANs (including management one) to the APs.

What do I actually gain by running the controller software or not? I don’t have any ubi stuff other than the WAPs. I can run a VM on proxmox but not crazy about the fragility of another thing that needs to be up for the APs to work.
The controller being always-online is required if you're doing WPA2 Enterprise (ie. it hosts FreeRADIUS for AAA), if you're doing guest-hotspot with TOTP, or if you've got a captive portal on a (guest) network, if memory serves.

I don't believe that Ubiquitis own AP roaming spec requires the controller to be running, but it could be that it's required for 802.11r.

It might also need to be running for automatic device updates, but since you can host it on Windows, macOS, Linux, or one of the BSDs, it's not really that big of a deal if you've already got a homeserver.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 15, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It looks like you have DVB-C over DOCSIS, so if Reed-Solomon codes can't cope with the error rate, it's typically because the copper is old, if all other equipment has been replaced.

Scratch that, not with those frequencies, and not if you're in Usania.
Still, if the error correction that's used is Reed-Solomon (used in everything from RAID, CDs, DVDs, BluRay, DVB-C/S, ATSC, WiMAX, QR codes and many other things) or newer, and it can't cope, there's something wrong with the medium it's being sent on.

EDIT: It is using Reed-Solomon, so tell them to replace their lovely copper and stop claiming "everything is good on their end".

EDIT2: Oh, also I forgot how far DVB-C goes nowadays:

699MHz is still outside the range you'd find in any European network though, so I wasn't completely off-base.

EDIT3: The fact that the EMI is spread over such a big part of the spectrum suggests that you should maybe also contact your local signal authorities, because there shouldn't be that much noise, and those parts of the spectrum are probably not allowed to be used at power levels enough to affect shielded copper.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 25, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Service provider support personnel will claim that the problem is not on their end, because they're hired to read from a script that tells them to say that if all other troubleshooting steps have failed.
They've got your money, and for the vast majority of people they're the only option, so they don't need to worry about providing good service.

If you think this is a problem, talk to your local politicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If an ISP does GPON, you can get SFP(+) adapters that have GPON stripping built-in from FiberShop.