Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I live in Portland, and have a set of M-Audio Studiophiles you can play some games with to to see if you like the "flat" frequency response. (I picked them up for $150 used, but they are definitely not for sale). I play games/watch movies/etc, and the flat frequency response means things sound the way the creator intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have found the best solution for bad recordings on good speakers is to turn it down (I imagine treating the room would do the same thing). Once you do that, the flaws are something you listen to and appreciate as part of the recording rather than irritants. Past a certain volume, it seems like flaws in the recordings are amplified many times over by weird room acoustics. It took me a really long time to learn this, because I loving love loud music.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I've used one of these for years now, with a variety of high(ish) end sound systems (powered monitors, b&w shits, two sets of magnepans, some Dahlquist DQ-12's, that sort of thing) and it sounds great. Far far far better than my noisy-rear end onboard audio.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441729948&sr=8-3&keywords=behringer+usb

Headphone output seemed fine, but I wouldn't use it for speakers (you won't be getting a volume control with this one)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KillHour posted:

I would challenge you to ABX them because what you're saying is extremely unlikely to be anything more than placebo.

Computers are noisy beasts inside, I'd not be shocked if the cheapest USB sound card is worlds above the best onboard motherboard sound money can buy.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KillHour posted:

Any decent motherboard has shielded audio components now. My Behringer equalizer introduces more noise in the signal chain than my onboard audio (or at least it did until the onboard audio poo poo the bed).

Oh good to know. Shows how old my computers are I guess!

Also, fwiw, my behringer EQ (feedback destroyer) is noisier than the noisiest onboard I've heard. Thankfully that only EQs the subs where I can't tell any bit of difference.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's a good set of speakers for the gaming desktop in my bedroom? I don't have a dedicated sound card, my room, and my desk in particular, are pretty cramped so I'd prefer something smaller, and as far as budget I'd like to stay under a hundred - maybe $150 if I'm underestimating how much good speakers cost for this use case.

I'm going to get a ton of stick for this, but I have had the Series II version of http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companio...=bose+companion and have been very happy with them for how little space they take up.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Crescendo posted:

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I appreciate the response.

I didn't know if it was a tall order or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

My $100 Bose Companion 2 2.0 speakers are small, look nice, and sound good if you don't turn them up too loud, and they don't annoy neighbors at apartments with thin walls.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

garfield hentai posted:

Looking for a recommendation for speakers to hook up to a laptop in a conference room. Music doesn't have to sound good, but we'd like voice to come through loud and clear over lovely terrible Skype or whatever we'll use

Requirements:

Reasonably portable
No subwoofer to lug around
1/8" jack, no messing with speaker wire or RCA cables or anything that's more confusing than a completely brain dead "plug the pluggy part into the computer hole"
Under $300

Speakers? The Bose Companion 2's are loving Skype *champs*. No microphone or anything but skype voices are on point more than any other computer speakers I've heard.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I dunno 50-100? I might just say gently caress it and replace them with AV-32's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-Companion-2-Series-II-Computer-Speakers-great-condition-/291970552610?hash=item43facd1322:g:QAsAAOSwA3dYT0Vr

or similar. i've got AV30s in my bedroom and sitting at a small desk the companion ii's don't leave me very disappointed. plus small and look nice.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So my old pair of M-Audio AV40s died, I'm trying to decide on a replacement. I don't want AV42s, I've heard they are quite a step down from the old AV40s in overall quality. I am looking at the Mackie CR4 speakers as a replacement but some of the negative reviews worry me, stuff about the internal amp overheating which sends up a red flag for me as far as long term reliability goes. There are the PreSonus Eris E4.5 but they seem way overkill and are also $50 more, but the quality seems to be there so I'm pretty sure they will last a long time. I listen to a lot of music and I am pretty finicky about audio quality, to give an idea I had a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set up before the AV40s and I was never really satisfied with it. Also I don't have the room for a subwoofer these days so I have to get a 2ch system, if I could get something smaller than the AV40s but that sounds just as good for under $200 that would be perfect. Anyone got any recommendations?

Find an electronics repair shop and have your AV40's repaired. It'll be way cheaper than new speakers, and they won't break again if they use high quality replacement components.

I bought a set that had been repaired, sold them to a friend and he's still using them with no issues and much happiness

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't think that is possible, it was a power surge that killed them and they smelled very strongly of burnt electronics.

That sucks, I figured it was the common failure of under-specced parts.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Break off the ground prong or use one of those cheater plugs. Solid chance that’s your issue.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

How are the M-Audio AV32 for a pair of PC speakers?

I do not have a DAC / amplifier etc...

Not great. How much of a consideration is size?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

space marine todd posted:

Yeah, too big. I'm talking really small; I have KRK RP5s for proper sound at my desk. I just need good enough sounding small speakers to toss next to my projector (which has a 3.5mm out).

I have gone through lots of audiophile poo poo in my proper stereos (several Magnepans, several B&W, Infinity Kappa, Dahlquist DQ20's, Thiel, more I can't remember for speakers, the good NAD stuff, Parasound, McIntosh, bunch more electronics, and a couple pairs of good powered studio monitors) and the $100 Bose Companions have been staples on my computer this whole time without many real complaints other than some hiss. They work pretty well regardless of positioning or what you're feeding them plus they look nice with no visible LEDs and have great connectivity (dual RCA inputs that are mixed in at the same time). I can't recommend them enough for situations when you want Just Some Speakers.

If you want to spend more and have a remote, the Bose MusicMonitors are less than half the size and are legitimately fuckin' amazing as long as you realize Bose is playing tricks with your brain to make them sound the way they do. I demo'd them for a few weeks during my dubstep phase, the psycho-acoustic tricks they pull are crazy.

Side note: I don't particularly like other Bose stuff, their reputation has been earned over the years and only their stuff that uses DSP sounds good to me.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 16, 2020

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I have a pair of Simple Audio Listens that I bought probably 5 years ago for around $170 USD on Massdrop. I don't have any complaints about their sound quality or volume (I'm not the most discerning when it comes to sound in general though, yet they're plenty loud and clear throughout my room), but they do tend to shake my desk when they're playing something particularly bass forward and they're rather large on my desk. I was wondering:

- Are these speakers actually well regarded? I bought them when Linus Tech Tips was the extent of my knowledge of "audio" reviews and didn't realize threads like this existed as a resource.
- If they aren't, how much would a "worthwhile" upgrade of a pair of smaller profile speakers and a dedicated subwoofer cost?
- If they are/there's little reason for me to spend money on replacing them aside from their physical profile, would picking up a dedicated sub and putting it on the ground alleviate the shaking, and what are the subs I should be looking at in their respective price break points?
- In general, what are decent USD price break points for computer speakers that are clear, maybe a bit bass forward, and loud/clear enough for a roughly 13'x13' room?

Sorry if the questions seem scatterbrained - I've got a little more experience with headphones due to commute and open office environments, but I haven't had to think about computer speakers since I bought these.

You MAY be able to put an isolator pad under them but looking at the design maybe not. It would definitely look odd. Looking around my apartment, the cork things from Ikea that you put pots on may work ok and look less bizarre than actual monitor isolation pads.

Honestly, I think they look pretty cool and if they sound good to you I’d leave them be. I skimmed a few reviews and it sounds like they’re not garbage-tier or anything.

If you’re near the Cleveland area and want to sell them, I’d happily buy them. I’m planning to move my computer speakers to the bathroom and wouldn’t mind something like this for my desk.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Isolation pads are so loving important with bookshelf speakers. It's a night and day difference and costs all of $20.

His speakers have these stand-looking things built In, it may look weird with pads under them.

Otherwise, I agree 1000%.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Does your TV have headphone output that is controlled by the TV volume control? If so, any computer speaker set would do you well. I’m partial to finding a pair of Bose Companion 2’s for this, partly because it looks less like you just slapped some computer speakers up there, partly because the interface is flawlessly executed with zero lights anywhere, and partly because (IMHO) they are fabulous at voice reproduction. Used sets are pretty cheap if you don’t want to spring for new.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't realize those dongles had DACs in them. I thought there was some goofy analog pin in the USB-C spec for that. That just sounds silly in retrospect.

You’re describing how DVI to VGA adapters work so it’s not entirely a crazy assumption :-)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't quite see how rhythm games have different latency requirements than you'd have in music production.

The rhythm games can compensate for lag, music production you're listening to your voice/music/whatever in real-time.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

If Outdoor Speaker Depot has any of their Trevoce subs on sale still, they're a great shout. Sealed boxes with two passive radiators and user-controllable DSP via iWoofer built into the amp. I paid well under $200 shipped for mine and its brilliant paired with my Fosi SP3 on my desk. I split the output of my Atom Amp+ to the speakers and sub for volume control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

fletcher posted:

My Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 have served me well for 20+ years but I think they are ready to be retired. Sounds like something is wrong with the sub and all the connections are pretty shoddy from wear and tear. Size is an important factor and I want to stay around the same size as the current ones (8.5 x 4.2 x 5.7"). I'd be connecting them to an ADI-2 DAC. Mainly to be used for listening to music when I'm tired of wearing headphones all day. Not too sure on the budget yet, ideally something that laststhe next 20 years. Bonus points if it doesn't have a volume knob or any inputs on it, since they won't be needed anyways. Also if it doesn't have any big holes in it that will collect cat hair. Most of the active monitors I'm seeing are a bit too big for my desk. The Genelec 8010A & 7040A seems like a high end option that meets all the criteria, not exactly easy to pull the trigger on at that price point though. What are some others to look at?

FIIO SP3. Love these little things, they kick assssssss. I split my DAC’s output to a sub and use it to control volume.