Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The composition on this image is really strong. It makes the performer seem little, and makes me feel the kind of loneliness that a lone musician can feel on a large stage with a bad crowd. The slightly dilapidated piano and chair add character, I get a sense of the venue and its charm. I know its been discussed, but for what it's worth I also find the light in the upper-right corner distracting.

Chinatown Sign 3 by incarnatedao, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

There are a few things I like here. The framing is great, and I like the subject manner. I also like the contrast between the title and the content, springtime usually conveys newness, brightness, and something uplifting while the photo shows wilting, drooping petals (although depending on how you look at it I can also see them as blooming, which is what I think is going on). One thing that I don't understand is the color and saturation choice. It dulls the content without, for me, adding another dimension to it.

I went to the Sackler and Freer Galleries in DC today and got these:

ananda by Tian He Ma, on Flickr

bodhisattva by Tian He Ma, on Flickr

hindudeity by Tian He Ma, on Flickr

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

First of all, the colors are amazing considering this is unedited. However, while I like the idea of the photo, I'm not a big a fan of how it turned out. Framing the busted window in the center works well, as that is the subject so to speak. The framing around it, though, feels claustrophobic to me. I'm not sure if it would have been a better to have gotten more of the building, but I wonder what it would have looked like if we could see more of that nice blue sky in contrast to the earthy sandy house in the frame.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I really like this shot. For me, what's important about the photograph is the subject, this fellow. And what's important about him is how he has chosen to appear to us. His face just oozes character, and then you have his dress which just adds more layers. By getting a shot where we can appreciate both, but without being a straight on "portrait shot" I think is fantastic. This is the kind of shot I would point to when talking about taking "character portraits" outside the context of close up shots on faces.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Nameless Dread posted:

Yeah, i played around with it and much preferred it lightened up. The bottom left doesn't bother me, but i would dodge everything else a little - don't worry about being "too liberal" with processing.

I sometimes do "too dark" stuff so i wanted to do do something lighter. Is it lighter or just plain boring?

Ares by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Ares by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

ares bw jpg by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

The first photo I think is the strongest. Great lighting, great subject, and the way you have her in a slight S-curve really complements her. The second photo the lighting doesn't work as well, you lose her features under the light. I don't like the black-and-white photo at all, you washout her beautiful skin tone.

Looking at the third picture in post preview, if you had showed me that picture without seeing the first one, it's actually pretty strong.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

This picture is existentially terrifying, and I can't quite put my finger on why. It's just so bleak, like a still from an indie movie about a philosophy graduate who can't get a job other than at a convenience store, and I'm not taking this piss, I'm just at a loss to describe how visceral a reaction I had to this photo.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

The Worst Muslim posted:

New guy with a DSLR (day 2).

Got a lot to learn but I'm having a ton of fun.

edit:

I think I like the colour but it may need to be cropped (according to a friend). I think I need a tripod.

For me, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at, or to put it another way, what makes this particular view of this particular point in space at this particular moment important. The lines are kind of all over the place, with the wall of straight lines in the background and the logs/tree in the foreground. The greens are a great color though, and shine nicely next to the bark.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

nescience posted:

just got a DSLR, not sure on what I'm doing.

Including reading the OP!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

nescience posted:

Apologies; I edited my post to add a critique (I don't even know if that's a critique?). Tbh I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, I read the OP but it seems a bit daunting. Did I break any other rules? I read the height limit rule but I figured [timg] tags would suffice. Also is there an even noobier thread? I didn't see any in the first page of Dorkroom.

That's a critique, mostly. And no worries, I was just bustin' your chops ;).

My main problem with this photo is the framing. You have the contrasting lights, from the earth and from the sky, but the lower left corner doesn't fit in there nicely. Also, yeah the height is weird, at least on my tablet. It makes it hard to see the photo as a cohesive unit, as you have to look distinctly in two places, and the photo isn't composed to do that like a diptych.

Also, newbies are welcome, but try to read through to learn about what critique is, and what we look for. I'm a novice, and some of the pros here are really good and helped me learn more.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

Mt Gravatt by ASB, on Flickr

Ok, has the best composition of the three, well balanced.

Bad, not well composed, too busy, no subject, little geometric interest. Colours don't work. Feels like it's leaning to the right.

Good, but weighted to the left. Should have panned the camera right a little.

The first one works really well for exactly the same reasons the other two don't: line and subject. In the first photo, the subject is clear, we know what we're supposed to be looking at, and it's interesting. It's partially interesting because those sharp lines intersect each other in an aesthetically pleasing way. But you seem to have gathered most of that from your self critique.

I would want to see the first photo punched up a bit, play with the levels or contrast or something to suss out some more hues. It's fine the way it is, I just wonder what else it can look like.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

They are my photos that hes critiquing but thanks.

I agree that the containers are the weakest shot of the 3 but I really liked the colours on the day. The sun came out of the clouds and everything was so vibrant in a neighbourhood with colours like the other 2. A shame I wasnt good enough to capture it well, there was a green forklift and skip that I wanted to include too but I couldnt get the framing right.

The parking shot, Ill play with it when I dont feel so sick but I was trying to make it look as it did in real life.

My bad, I thought he was quoting your asking for harsh critique because you put it so well. And I forgot you posted those. That wasn't cool, I apologize.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HNasty posted:

Untitled-40 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Not quite sure what happened to the focus here but I think it looks cool. Fuji 400H

The top third of the photo is just dead, boring space. The green arrow doesn't add anything, either.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

SuperSix posted:

Mum gave me her camera after she gave up her newest hobby after 2 months. I'm gonna refrain from critiquing others for the time being seeing that my knowledge consists of reading couple of OPs for the time being. So following the thread, I'll try to say what I think i messed up on in these photos.

Lucky for me, my first week with an SLR camera there happened to be a car show.

1. Not sure about the composition on this one, i really just tried to capture all the brown colors in the cockpit

2. I wanted to get more of the car in focus as well as the kid (depth of field thing I've read?). The kid was really cute so I regret not getting a better angle when he was facing me, but I'm still really shy taking pictures of strangers without asking.

3. I read about the "rule of thirds" so I tried to get the Maserati badge on one of those axis and make it the main focus.I think I messed up on the left side of the badge, there's too much texturing due to post processing. Definitely didn't notice it in LR but its more evident after i put it on flickr.

I think I have a bad habit of overdooing it during post-processing. I'm having issues identifying how much is "too much" in regards to editing a picture. But I had tons of fun and I'm already looking forward to other events.

Don't take pictures of other people's kids without asking, if that's what you mean.

First picture the first 1/6ish is weirdly dark, and so the picture is framed jarringly from that. Also I thought the colors were too muted inside the cab, and had to look at what brown you were trying to show case.

Number two I just don't like, there's no action, just the back of two people's heads and a car that's weirdly framed. From the photo the car has no movement and so the photo falls flat. The color on this shoot is very nice.

3 I don't "get." It almost looks like you were going for a "commercial" shot, but the dark blacks obscure parts of the picture.

I have been negative BUT I think this is actually a good start, your sense of framing isn't bad at all and I think with some input you'll get better at what to look for in post.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What I like about this photo is the framing and how she is actually in the air and not touching the ground.

Are we looking at the same picture that girls foot is planted on the ground.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

xzzy posted:

No it's not, the foot has no visible shadow. If her heel was down there would be one.

Now that you mention shadow, I see both, but you're right she's off the ground.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

What's the cause of the light distortion (not sure what to call that light blue) in the first 1/3 of the photo? It really detracts from what is otherwise an interesting portrait.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I'm not a fan of the composition. There's too much sky, I think. You should keep some of that nice blue for contrast with the houses, but there's so much sky the houses get lost.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

For the most part I like the framing. Good colors, too. Also, excellent use of depth of field.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I don't really see how this is anything more than an Instagram dinner pic with a faux-artsy filter.
This looks like it was taken with one of those instant cameras they have now-a-days. If the blur were just the person in movement it might have worked. Otherwise I don't think the bowling hall should also lack focus.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Edit:lol im a dope

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 24, 2017

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Use your big beautiful eyeballs to really look carefully at what's happening here

edit: lol

everyone post more, god!!

I do have beautiful eyes, thank you for the critique. :bigtran:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Yeah, that flower really kills the simple architecture of the bridge, it's really distracting.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I really like this one! The water is fantastic, my biggest complaint is that the rocks lose their definition as they get darker. Perhaps brighten the rock formation and keep the water as is?

Edit: To clarify, I meant trying to brighten only the very dark portion of the rock formation.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 17, 2017

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm seeing plenty of definition on my screen in the dark areas.

Apologies, I guess my monitor sucks. :shrug:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I like the composition, and his facial expression gives this piece a lot of character. Down on the bottom, though, is that someone’s head, or a finger? Either way it draws your eye away from the subject.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

quote:

This is easily the strongest of the three. You capture the architecture well and the color palate is pleasing. My only negatives aren’t anything you can control, like contrast, because of the medium you’re using. Great job; for what it’s worth I really like this!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Hot drat you made that wood grain look gorgeous. I'm not sure I like the blue light you get from the kindle. I don't like guitar pictures as a category because everything's been done but they way you captured what makes a Gibson beautiful makes this one a-ok.

Beautiful. It looks like someone could use this for a horror movie, call it "Ursine," and put the title between it's legs. Very atmospheric.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I like the mood of the piece, it’s initially appealing. However, I find it dissonant that you’re so close to being symmetrical but are slightly off. It doesn’t have to be symmetrical, but if you’re gonna make it so close you ought to make it so.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

President Beep posted:

I think I get what you’re saying. Because his head’s a bit off to the side?

e: Oh, the hands too.

Yeah I noticed the hands right off. I should be clear, this piece is successful in many ways, my comment was nit-picking to make it more successful.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

This is definitely my favorite of the three. The shape of the signs is nice, and the aesthetic of the signs themselves is pleasing. Good work, this is the kind of photo I’d put on my wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Medieval Medic posted:

after going over 300 pictures of which I feel I can -barely- salvage 4.

This is totally normal, by the way. It just means you're getting good at editing.

I LOVE the colors on this one, and the movement of the water is beautiful. Easily my favorite of the ones you posted. The greens are so sharp on the left, and they dull as they transition into the earthy browns. Excellent job!