Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Scott Conant has a very rear end in a top hat way of delivering his criticisms. I don't know why he's like that since he seemed pretty cool and nice on his 24 Hour Restaurant show.

I will always remember the episode of Chopped where the guy served him raw red onion. Scott was pissed as if the chefs where supposed to know of his hatred for raw onion. I know the producers want them to be over the top in their judging but come on man.

I am not "world class" chef but I enjoy some raw onion in certain dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

I don't know goon opinion - is Sweet Genius host the best host on food network? I say yes

It 100% is. I absolutely love Ron and the show.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I can't believe Justin won. I was certain the fix was in and that Yvan would win. I actually look forward to seeing his show.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I was watching Restaurant Impossible yesterday and noticed way too many times how much of the staff was trying not to laugh during the segments with Robert. What a sham.

Has anyone even watched Justin's show? I assume it comes on at dark 'o thirty on Saturday.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

axleblaze posted:

Cooking Channel reminds me alot of MTV2. It was launched when the original network realized it wasn't doing the thing they found the network to do. Slowly they realized they stopped doing that because it was getting bad rating so they just started rerunning stuff from the other network and eventually they became the same thing. Cooking Channel isn't fully far gone yet but you can see it slowly going in that direction.

I highly recommend Create TV. It has shows featuring real chefs doing cheffy things. Jacques Pepin, Ming Tsai, Hubert Keller, and Jon Besh to name a few. I have turned Food Network and The Cooking Channel off completely for Create, save Sweet Genius. That is the best Food Network show period.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

But does Create still have Steven Raichlen? I can't stand him at all.

Lydia Bastianich is pretty awesome though. The abosulte best Italian cook I've seen on television.

Well, yes and no. He was on nightly with BBQU and Primal Grill but they've ended it for now. My only guess is because the grilling season is "over." :rollseyes:

I am so glad that Sweet Genius is back.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

CrushedWill posted:

I grill and smoke a great deal. I resent the fact that they have a dude leading the BBQ cooking segments that looks like a child molester. As annoying as Flay was with his older BBQ shows, it doesn't come close in annoyance factor to me as "Creepy Uncle" Stephen.

He looks awfully weird, that is for sure, but his grilling techniques are on point. The only thing that irritates me is he, like all other shows with grills, is forced to schill for Weber. When they use a grill that isn't Weber they have to use a general term to describe it.

That is just me with my anti-Weber hate I guess though.

The Margaret Cho show is a good idea but gently caress I turned it off after seeing the stereotypes. They didn't even try to hide how faked it is.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Jamesman posted:

So Cupcake Wars is on and it's about magic shows and the guest judge is the god drat Max from Saved by the Bell.

Finally, Cupcake Wars validates its existence. MAX FROM SAVED BY THE BELL!

Why did they have him? That is just a weird choice for guest judge.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

LionsBelow posted:

Alright, so I think I'm officially allowed to talk about this now:

Sugar Dome (http://www.foodnetwork.com/sugar-dome/index.html) starts Sunday at 8pm. I'm on this show as a cake designer (my episode will be on February 17th...although I'm not allowed to say the theme). I have high hopes for this show. I will be the first to admit that cake shows are stupid played to death, repetitive, and generally full of nonsense. But this show seems to be a bit more genuine, and I'm hoping the pairing of cake artist, sugar artists, and artists artists will make it a really fun show to watch.

I'm excited to see what you guys think on Sunday. :)

Am I accurate in saying that I have seen Zakk Wylde in commercials for this show? If you cannot answer, I understand.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Timby posted:

It's hard for me to articulate how uncomfortable the whole thing made me. "If you act like a complete jackass to everyone around you, we'll give you a hundred bucks" skeezes me out on a whole new level.

Well, to be fair, they had the chance to earn up to $1,000.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Jamesman posted:

In those commercials, there's that one lady who says "I put the 'faux' in 'fashion!'"

What does that mean even? That makes no goddamn sense!

I believe it is the lady who reminds you every 30 seconds she is raising money for PETA. I have no idea why I cannot stop watching RVG. This show loving sucks and is even worse without uber troll Gilbert.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Mystery Diner's doesn't even try to appear real does it?

I don't understand why I am watching this hosed up show. Food Network loves me.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

axleblaze posted:

I thin I've defended Anne Burrel before in this topic, but my god she is horrible on Chef Wanted. She's just unpleasant, loud and often belittling.

One thing that irritates me about it is the audio quality during the cooking sequences. Either she is too loud or the audio equpiment is poor quality, but her audio crackles a lot when she is yelling.

Otherwise, I watch the show because...because I don't know why. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

axleblaze posted:

Last nights Restaurant Impossible really just drove home how fake that show is. They had an owner flip out and try and quit doing the show. After she stormed off and went home they started smashing up her restaurant anyways. Imagine if she actually wanted to quit doing the show and then found out they had smashed up her restaurant anyways? That concept is not something they would allow to happen.

I a pretty sure that if it were real the owner's would be signing something that basically relieves Food Network of any liabilty and that the show must go on no matter how big of a hissy fit the owner(s) throw.

DDD is ok in small doses. It is really hyped up though. I was in Connecticut for work training and on our way home (we drove), my coworker said we were taking a detour to try out this place that was on DDD because he wanted to try the duck hash that Guy orgasmed over.

So, we plugged it into the GPS and made our way there. While the breakfast items were numerous and all sounded tasty, it wasn't some mecca of breakfast hash that it was made out to be. My coworker could not find duck hash on the menu even though it was seemingly a feature item at the diner.

All in all it was a good meal but I can barely remember what I ate outside of a standard corned beef hash. The place was small as poo poo too.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

So, has it been determined if the contestants on Worst Cooks are actors or not?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

criscodisco posted:

Well drat, I wish I hadn't googled that. I've not seen Hell's Kitchen but know the basic premise, but when I read that sentence I thought that they had done some CGI work to fake someone having bacon in their skillet to make their dish more appetizing.

Can you link or spoiler what you found please? Every time I search CG bacon in Hell's Kitchen I get nothing that looks scandalous.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Timett posted:

Another night in a hotel for work and I flip the TV straight to a Chopped marathon. Seems like these things are always on. Has anybody ever had success with molecular gastronomy stuff on this show? Had anybody even survived a round where they attempted it?

I am not sure how much it counts but there was a chef who used agar agar at least once in his 2 tenures on Chopped.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Timett posted:

They are making a whole show based around the format of a Hells Kitchen finale but in a "real restaurant?"

Is that really a surprise though? They stole the Quickfire Challenge from Top Chef and turned it into Chopped.

If they do not bring back Sweet Genius I may cry. That is one of the best shows they have.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Haifisch posted:

It's harder to make elaborate sculptures nobody would ever actually want to eat with frozen yogurt than it is with baked goods. :v: (I'm also waiting for the frozen yogurt bubble to pop when people realize that they've basically turned a healthy snack into ice cream, and that ice cream is cheaper and comes in a wider variety of flavors than frozen yogurt)

I enjoy going to our local frozen yogurt shops but you are dead on about the price. Spending $12-$15 on frozen yogurt for 2 people is outrageous, but when all the ice cream shops have closed up except one highly overrated local institution that I think is utter poo poo, it is the only real place to go!

That and Dairy Queen.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Lord of the Bones posted:

It really feels like only Bobby Flay and that Deen boy can get 'new' episodes of a 'teach me to cook' sort of show.

Trisha Yearwood gets new shows as well. I at least give her credit because she seemingly cooks from scratch as much as possible.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

On another note: I can't decide if the Sandwich King obnoxious or endearing or both. I'm prone to not hate him for large swaths of his show, and then he'll suddenly seem weird and douchey just out of nowhere. It's like his personality has a time limit or something. Maybe I'm just bad at gauging the hateability of "celebrity chefs"... I don't hate Guy Fairy much, just for example.

I will watch his show because I love sandwiches, but I don't see too much that is innovative or different. As far as his personality he is middle of the road. Sometimes it feels like he is trying too hard to impress judges still which slows the show down.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Mystery Diners just does not give a poo poo anymore about pretending to be real.

The undercover diner is at the bar in a "busy" restaurant. Her mic pack is clearly visible inside her little sweater she is wearing and she just stood up, pressed her finger to her ear secret service style, and talked back to the CONTROL ROOM.

She has done it twice now. In a busy bar. Nothing suspicious.

EDIT

The new Alton Brown show does not look appealing at all to me. Looks like a clusterfuck mashup of Chopped and, uh, basically all competition cooking shows.

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 18, 2013

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

Ming Tsai, a guy who should have been able to walk into an Iron Chef job instead of go through the ridiculousness of NIC, is now doing infomercials for the Aero Knife. Sigh.

Got to pay the bills somehow. I wanted him to win that season so badly, but in the end it would no have mattered since every loving person wants to face Bobby Flay.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

But, you guys, Rodney is a singing version of Guy! What could possibly be wrong with that?

:suicide:

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I am not a fan so far of Cutthroat Kitchen, but I will watch it anyways. I can't quite put my finger on why I am not liking it, but there is something.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Why is it that Food Network seemingly gets a major hard on for having contestants from previous shows be on new seasons of challenge shows?

Das, a boring and forgettable contestant on NFNS, is now on The Great Food Truck Race. His truck is all about sliders! How original!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

When the one female chef said, "I want to win the title!" I cringed. No one gives a poo poo about the title, it is about the cash. Spend it wisely, and walk away with more than you would on chopped, plus you get a lovely title.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Wasn't there some drama surrounding her in real life around the time some of this might have been filmed?

She's a big bull dyke, so yeah she has some anger issues. She was sexually harassing employees though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Three Olives posted:

The best part is the price, you win a year's supply of whatever crappy snack food they were recreating. I like Goldfish, it's seriously probably my favorite lovely snack food but a year's supply? Is that like one of those giant boxes they sell at Sam's and a Tupperware container?

Typically when a company offers a years supply it amounts to a coupon for one free. I have seen some where it was set up so you got 1 item free for a week and the other was 52 coupons that gave you a free X.

YMMV

• Locked thread