Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Speedball posted:

You know what those "DC Nation" screenshots remind me of?

Bizarro Comics. Anyone remember that?

edit: ...what the heck is up with the Black Panther cartoon?

Ugh. The "animated" comic one? I hate all of the animated comics. I just can't watch them, they all feel so cheap and terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I was quite happy seeing Throg!

I just.. wish I'd have seen more of Beta Ray Bill. I've always liked him.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

TwoPair posted:

Has Ultimate Spider-Man gotten any better? I gave up on it a while back for just trying too hard to be funny, but the animation was really good.

There was an episode where Mesmero made Spidey swap brains with Wolverine which I thought was funny. If anything because Spidey couldn't control the claws and stabbed himself repeatedly.

...I could just be very easy to amuse. There was also an episode with Throg.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

McSpanky posted:

Whenever I hear something like this I wish Bruce Timm and Michael Jelenic would manifest and beat the offender senseless.

Why? They got Justice League: Unlimited made just by showing Cartoon Network the toy line and how many new characters they were adding when CN was looking to cancel, because of how much the show cost to produce.

of course, Spidey could be far less.. blatant about it. I did like the BatB episode where he used his Street Louge, though!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Okay, I so dig Thunder and Lightning. That was awesome. Amethyst seems a bit anime to me, but it still looks really good. Just about all the shorts they do with DC Nation have been REALLY fun.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
What? No love for ULLLLLLLLTRAAAAFOOOOOOORCE!!!!?

Fantastic Four show would also have cameos thing when a giant world threat would pop in, Spiderman or Daredevil would swing by saving people the FF apparently didn't have time for.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Yeah, that was really embarrassing to watch. High pitched, loud stupidity.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

achillesforever6 posted:

Which is sad because Will Friedle is usually a much better voice actor than that.

Sometimes even good voice actors get REALLY terrible voice acting directions. It's not their fault, they're just doing what they need to to get paid.

I'll throw Brent Spiner in with this as Joker, he was really good as Puck in Gargoyles.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Teen Titans Go is growing on me a bit. It can be funny sometimes, but.. when they fired Beast Boy, that was a pretty funny episode all the way around.

Also, I'm happy there was a call out to Howard the Duck and Devil Dinosaur on Ultimate Spiderman. I'd be happy to see them animated. Honestly, I'd love a Spidey show that was more like Brave and the Bold, where he just teams up with random people.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
So. Teen Titans Go..

Raven makes the best faces, when she has evil coming out of her mouth. I didn't know she was part Canadian.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

ToastyPotato posted:

In other news, am I the only one left watching Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man? I have actively avoided Agents of Smash.

No. You aren't.

I'm still iffy on Assemble. It's mostly fight the dudes, but the characters are still at their most base. Hawkeye quips on occasion, and doesn't really do anything else. At least in EMH, he was kind of a dick. Hulk got a bit here and there to just show he doesn't smash.. but, most of what he says is still smash-related.

Smash is kind of bland, too. Red is Angry, Skarr is dumb, A-Bomb is Seth Green. It's a lot more spacey than I figured it would be, but when you have a team of hulks, I suppose tossing Batrok the Leaper, or The Wrecking Crew at them isn't enough. Though having them struggle against Taskmaster would be an interesting change.

I did like the GIANT SIZED Ultimate Spider-man episode. I can kinda hope Ultimate Spider-Man becomes more like BatB, by having Spiderman team up with more of Marvel's unknowns.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
So, Stan Lee has a new project.. after Gems such as Mosaic.

It's a cartoon where Stan Lee finds 7 aliens, who've crash landed in the desert and he teaches them how to be heroes while making comics out of them.

It.. doesn't look.. very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCnN48vMhY

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

gfanikf posted:

The new Avengers isn't so much bad, but dull as hell...it is really bad when you then watch an episode of EMH and you're like "goddamnit why didn't this get a season 3?"

That's pretty much it. It's like going from Teen Titans directly to Young Justice. Aside from the new Avengers aren't angsty.. they just all feel so shallow personality wise.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Hulk/Iron man video they put out.. it just looks kind of bad, visually.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

achillesforever6 posted:

That's kind of unfair to Young Justice its not that bad and beside the Brent Spiner Joker, the voice acting was pretty solid.

It would have been better without all those production/episode delays. I was more talking about the energy of the show. EMH and Teen Titans were a bit more high energy. Going straight from those to something slower, is a bit more of a drag.

There were some parts of YJ I didn't mind, but it did like to drag it's storylines out, slow storylines and a mismanaged production schedule were brutal.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

RevKrule posted:

Disney's not as much an animation house as an IP house that does animation. 90% of the poo poo on their channels is put out isn't good in the least in terms of animation, it's just the IP behind it that drives viewership.

Gravity Falls and those new Mickey Mouse shorts have wonderful animation!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
So, in the latest Avengers Assemble Hawkeye and Hulk encounter the Mojo-Verse. Mojo just doesn't have the insanity of the old X-Men cartoon version.

I really wish they'd go all out and hire Paul Heyman to voice Mojo.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Kingtheninja posted:

Was Longshot in the episode? He was (for some reason) my favorite X-man.

He was not. Which is a shame, because there haven't been any really good animated mullets on TV since the last time Longshot was on the X-Men cartoon, or the Iron Man cartoon.

And if they wanted Brock Lesnar to do a voice, Heyman-Mojo could have always swiped up StrongGuy for his arena/series/show. Or Spiderman's Rhino so we could hear the screeching, "GORE GORE GORE!"

Edit: I'm thinking about this fantasy casting way too much now.

PicklePants fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 11, 2014

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
...If there's one thing I now want, from a Spiderman Cartoon, is for them to re-do Iron Jonah from the newspaper comics.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
So,I learned that the image comics The Rat Queens is going to eventually get a cartoon produced around it.

If they can keep it as violent and silly as it was before.

I have no idea what channel it could go on. Hopefully HBO or Cartoon Network (Hell, if they can show KingStarKing.. Superjail and whatever)

http://comicsalliance.com/animated-rat-queens-could-be-on-the-way-to-your-tv/

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Timeless Appeal posted:

The real impressive thing about EMH is what a big deal they made the villains. Kang, Ultron, and the Kree aren't just threats. They absolutely outclass the heroes. The heroes feel like true underdogs and it make their victory feel so much more earned.

I Doom, when he met the Avengers, just smacking them all around. It didn't matter that the Avengers had overwhelming numbers over him. Doom was just that bad rear end.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Anora posted:

I'm trying to figure out why he thinks PP Spiderman would know what happened to his PP Spiderman, when he just stated alternate reality.

If there's anything Ultimate Spiderman is known for, it's good writing.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
...Disney REALLY has a crossover between Ultimate Spiderman and the live action Disney show Jessie?

...I.. wha?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: Also they summoned a tidal wave for no reason, and decided to attack on land instead.

Was that in the actual story?

Maybe it was just a power move, like Venture Brother's The Monarch makes, "No, No Black Manta. We have to show them that we mean Gigantic Tidal Wave Business!"

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
That's Tim Drake as Red Robin. He got himself a superhero sponsorship.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

ToastyPotato posted:

Is it still being written like an 80's toy commercial though? Because I got up to whatever the last hiatus was before they started showing episodes again, and even though they introduced a seasonal plot arc, it was still obvious that the writers were still in that mindset.

Yeah. Good Guys always win. Bad Guys always lose. There's not really much tension in the fighting, there's not really idea to the fact that The Avengers might not win once.

The Black Order got chumped because the Avenger's powers didn't work they same as they did on earth! Crystals in the air, meant Tony could blast harder. Or Hawkeyes ice arrows worked better.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Man.. Brent Spiner as Puck in Gargoyles.. just felt so much more alive. It was such a let down to hear his Joker.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Yeah. Like the Thunderbolts thing could have gone on for an entire season, having them pop in and out, doing stuff in the backgrounds, talking about it in other episodes while they do one shot stuff. To just kinda blow their wad over four or so episodes seems like a waste of a really fun idea.

It seems like the writing team isn't planning for anything beyond what they're doing right at that moment. At least the first bit, mediocre as it was, had set up Hyperion and the Squadron. It just seemed like they were just grabbing for another Super Team to fill in a place holder slot, to wait for something bigger to happen.

Beetle seems to be their crossover person, having bigger roles in AA and US, without just being in Clash of Champions? At least for more then one episode.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

site posted:

E: did Hank pym really become a mega douche rear end in a top hat in the comics like he does in emh?

Ahahhahahahahaha.. Oh god. He's more of an douche in the comics. I think everyone agreed that the cartoon Pym wasn't even nearly as terrible as comic Pym. Every attempt they make to, "Fix" him usually just falls flat. The Ant Man movie has the best version of him. He's an rear end, but at least it's kind of understandable.

They all at least shared the blame for Ultron in the cartoon. He also didn't didn't commit any domestic violence.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm also re-watching BTAS and in like the sixth or seventh episode, Billionaire Playboy Bruce Wayne is using some cheap rear end disposable razor to shave.

Also, I never realized Alfred's voice actor changed after the first three episodes.

Hey, rich people just don't throw their money away on things. They gotta save it and be thrifty.

Plus, it's not like he had a Dad to teach him.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Oh snap.. is has the Red Lantern cat in it.

More Lobo! It looks pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
As I was reading this whole thing about The Killing Joke, my eyes growing wider and wider.

Then I get a Facebook message from my friend, "I just got us tickets for the theater showing on Monday!!" ..Yay? Aw man.

On the brighter side, Justice League: Action looks great, AND fun. I can't wait for fall.

Looking at the cast..

I'm a little sad Brad Garrett won't be voicing Lobo.

After Young Justice, I'm glad Brent Spinner won't be playing Joker, but will instead be playing Edward Nigma. That seems to be a better fit with him.

Looking at the Wiki, it seems like we're getting Hal, instead of Guy, John or Kyle. I'd prefer John, but I just have mostly never liked Hal (the exception is the GL cartoon that was killed off too quickly.)

• Locked thread