Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

runwiled posted:

It would probably be more hilarious and chaotic, since they'd assume that everything would be a cakewalk and get lulled into a false sense of security.

The problem with this special was indeed too much scripted malarky and not enough emphasis on CARS. You know? That thing the show is about?
I'd be curious to know why this special was so heavily scripted compared to others. Were the production team on more of a leash this time? Were there worries over safety? Are the gang just getting too old? It's annoying that we never really get answers to this, and I imagine most of the idiotic masses loved the poo poo out of this special and thought it was all spontaneous and crazy! (!!!!) Have we got any ratings for this special compared to others?

This pretty much is exactly it. Unlike any other specials, this special was more focused on promoting Britain in India than anything doing with cars. They slyly put in something about having a budget limit, and got some British cars, but that was it.

The rest of the episode was just full of randomness and very, almost, blind driving around. What was their end goal, the Himalaya's? Other than that, we had to sit through some pretty uninteresting moments (train ride, party, etc) during the show till they eventually did some car stuff, but that ended way too quickly.

I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't more about cars, them driving around in lovely cars on those terrible roads and breaking down all of the time like the Botswana episode, but I do truly believe the production team was held back by the BBC too much. It still had some pretty hilarious moments and definitely didn't make me hate the episode at all, just disappointed with a handful of things that happened during it.

I can only believe that season 18 will be fantastic, back to the more funny car show we all know and love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

cloudchamber posted:

What are you basing this on?

My own crazed opinion.

To me, just like the middle east special, they had no reason at all in being there except to be in a politically interested area and instead of tromping around and being more worried about the cars/end goal, they are more worried about doing more of these silly staged challenges and fluff that make these episodes pretty darn boring.

They should have stuck them in three, thousand pound cars and sent them along the whole way across India to a final destination of Tibet or something, with all of the funny bits happening along the way, except they had great cars and rode a train for half of their journey, with a random race happening before then and a stupid party after their train ride.

Don't get me wrong, there were funny moments that did appeal to me that made it bearable, and even watching the episode a few more times it shows that the three presenters are really what makes the show, but still it wasn't enough to make it a memorable one, unlike episodes like the Vietnam special, Botswana or Bolivia and even the first American trip was great.

Everything was planned in a way that it makes me feel they had it written out and looked over by their higher-ups in the BBC, and re planned in a way that would make the show partially appeal to its viewers while not being the usual Top Gear in a country and making a general mess out of things.

Foehammer007 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 4, 2012

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress the special, I just bought my ticket to the greatest show on Earth :)

I'm all giddy with excitement!

Take pictures, if you can, otherwise I hate you, lucky bastard. :unsmith:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

quote:

I give this man props for being in control of one of the biggest shows in the world, yet being connected to his fans enough to address them (and this isn’t the first time). Big egos in Hollywood are as common as rug burns on assistants’ knees and I don’t think many of them in control of a show this big would take the time to talk to the fans, but Andy does. He sees how passionate people are, how much we love this show and that we all just want it to be as good as possible. No one is rooting for its failure, and when the show is good we would follow Wilman and the trio off a cliff with cult-like devotion. The fact that he admitted he didn’t love the special shows how small his ego is, and how much he cares. He’s a fan like us. We’ll be here for the next one Andy, don’t worry.

Cannot agree more with the person who posted this on that link.

Also, did they spend all of their money making the series or something? I mean, it's Top Gear..

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
What an episode, I was sad to see it over so soon! Then I remembered that the episode was almost over when I had to sit through that very awkward and silly SIARPC session, I felt like the only reason he was there to was to promote his car and to "try it out".

Otherwise, very impressive I cannot wait till next Sunday. Massive improvement from the Christmas Special :3:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
No complaints this time around about the episode, it was enjoyable to watch and very entertaining. Glad to see SIARPC wasn't terrible this week.

I am surprised they haven't made a Chinese version of the 458.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
That was a great episode, though I was surprised to see Jeremy so against explosions and crazy stuff, like he was during the VW Commercial he made with James. Ryan was great too, he wasn't suffering from a hang-over or anything which was nice.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I just watched TGUK season five episode six. I miss episodes like this.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
They better be more than one season of TGUK next year. :colbert:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Mister Kingdom posted:

They just signed up for three more years.

I know, but that does not stop from the BBC only pushing for one series a year like this year (I know Olympics but they love saving money don't they?)

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I just watched James May in Space, it was brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJahZkYAmW8

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

Nah, that was James' Fiat Panda. They ruined the Sandero they gave him in the episode where they went to Romania. He never even got to drive it more than a few minutes.

Yeah, it was kind of sad because he seemed to be really pissed no matter if that whole scene was set up or not.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

17 and especially 18 were pretty weak series, in my opinion. Yes the earlier seasons are good. Very early seasons? Not so much. But for the me, the meat of the series is ~9-15.

I guess I could agree with that, though I would probably say for me the "meat" of the show would be 6-13 or something, I enjoyed the simpler times of TG, but honestly I am not too picky at this point, I want new episodes. :colbert:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
They record on Wednesday if I am not mistaken, also I cannot wait!

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

grover posted:

The Bentley rally was every bit as awesome as it looked in the previews. Goddamn, that looked fun!

For real, and I was surprised James actually started to get better at calling out corners.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

drunken officeparty posted:

Nooo Dick Winters can't be the slowest :ohdear:

I support them having a snow board, and seeing more dudes racing in the snow.

Also, this episode was fantastic, I really enjoyed it and hated how soon it was over.

:saddowns:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

webmeister posted:

All in all I'm glad Top Gear is back, and it looks like we're in for a pretty good season.

This is all that matters. :3:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

The truth of watching rally in person. :saddowns:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

burtonos posted:

I think BBCA is running this season of top Gear starting Monday. I wonder what the edits will be like.

lovely, as usual. Any word on what tomorrow's episode will be? I want to see their Nile River thing.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
That was such a great episode, I think this series is completely on the right track.

I'd probably have the Aston out of the three, simply I love that blue color with the black rims and the fact the LFA, even though much quicker, has such a small fuel tank, I just do not understand it!

The Viper would be fun for being a nut in though.

The SIARPC was also as good as they get.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

m5ind posted:

Nope, I was laughing like mad at it. He can have such a strange walk.

I smell an avatar coming on...

A shame its not the gif. :downs:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
The actual gif works, but not his avatar. Oh well.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
What's this Sundays episode supposed to be about, do we have any word yet?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

According to Wikipedia:

"The team engage in a race from Wembley to the San Siro stadium in Milan, with Jeremy in a Shelby Mustang GT500 while Richard and James use the pan-European rail network. Jeremy is out on the test track in the new Toyota GT86."

:woop:

I am excited to see the GT86 as well, we saw a bit in the Worst Car in the History special, but wasn't too long on the car.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Anals of History posted:

One of my favorite TG bits was James and Richard trapped together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ftrk9cjJgw

James won something! :woop:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, the SIARPC is quite good this week, if you usually skip it, I'd give it a chance.

Amy MacDonald. :swoon:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

I think it's the first time he's lost while driving a car, though, so maybe that's it.

You are correct, it is the first time he lost vs public transport.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

webmeister posted:

If Jeremy actually picked that car, he's a complete moron. If it really was as close as they made out, a car where he didn't have to stop 500 times for fuel would've won the race!

He had a budget, and I am sure he just picked the most BHP in a car for that price, wound up with the Mustang, then had to deal with all of it's crap, but all of that power for that cheap! :stare:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Deedle posted:

I was surprised by the tiny fuel tank in the Mustang. I'd have expected the designer to realise the thing would use 20l/100km and fit a 90l tank to compensate. My Twingo only has a 42l tank, but at least it does get over 800km of range out of it, 240km is just sad that's EV-territory.

I was also surprised by the tiny fuel tank in the LFA last episode (2). I mean, I understand why they would do it on that car, but at 350k, I would be expecting a bit more. :colbert:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
From this,

to this,

James May, getting things done.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

b0nes posted:

Also Clarkson grinning was creepy.

He really likes R8s, and even more now that this 25 year old does.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
So, who do I pay to play car rugby, that was great.

Also, I would love to see an next day shot of the pitch. :thumbsup:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I guess the last episode when they go to Africa is that Christmas special? I hope not, I do want more TG. :colbert:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

dundun posted:

Was really looking forward to the review of the new Range Rover, until it turned into another "drive a range rover through a desert" challenge, which has been done about 3 times so far by Top Gear in recent memory. Hell, it was only the last series when James drove the Evoque in an almost identical setting. Does Land Rover pay them to review the vehicles the exact same way every time to prove they haven't gotten too posh, or are they really that hard up for ideas? If they wanted to demonstrate what the range rover is capable of, they could have at least made it funny/entertaining by tackling suburban environment obstacles, while splicing in the hill climbing scenes for contrast. Then again, Land Rover might not be too keen of Top Gear making fun of their target market.

Yes, he did drive the Evoque through Death Valley, but this was not just some sand and a bit of rocks, it was actually done really well, plus the cool truck he had to race that kept..trucking along?

But not everyone is going to like it. :cheers:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Sockington posted:

Think if Hammond did all the writing for TG. :3:

It would be all about Top Porsche

eunos posted:

I think Hammond was a radio DJ before he became a top gear host, although according to wiki in 1998 he was also a tv presenter for motorweek. He's been doing top gear for a decade. So unless there's some hidden racing background that I'm missing, it just goes to show that a "normal person" can stand toe to toe with long term motor journos, given some motivation and time.

I get what you're saying, to a point. I would argue that none of the TGUK hosts "know how to drive" at least in the context of being a professional driver. They're talented amateurs, better drivers than myself certainly, but none have the skill of Tanner. And that's what makes TGUK so magic - all 3 hosts are similar in talent to each other, so they function well together as a team, there's not one person holding the others back, and vice versa there's not one person who's so head and shoulders above the others that he's being held back by his partners.

They're all pretty even steven regarding who tests what. Hell, Captain Slow did a top speed run in the Veyron, and Hammond drove the infamous drag car that almost got him killed. It's not all Jeremy Jeremy Jeremy.

I haven't watched too many episodes of TGUS, but while Richard, James, Jeremy are all close on the racing level scale to each other, I would imagine Tanner wins anything having to do with driving, while the others are given wins to just help the show? :iiam:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, that was kind of stupid. As of right now, that's only 660 pounds. They should have gone for two to three thousand.

The did do a 100 pounds car challenge, they bought three used cars and drove to Old Trafford and back. S4E3, I believe. Which sucks for :911: you know, if that is the case.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Some gifs I found of the latest episode.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I'm glad to see James actually win, it was an intense foot race I suppose. Great special, and nice to see they will be back soonish.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Drakkel posted:

I loved that pose James did when his car made it off the raft immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Clearly, James has a really good work shop in that Volvo of his.