Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
rFactor 2 just updated a bunch of stuff - cars and tracks. Maybe it's because I still had the original release of the historic formula cars and tracks, but I noticed a massive improvement in survivability when I hosed around on Monaco. It's still ungodly hard to trail-brake heavily in spots like the chicane after the long tunnel, or the final hairpin, but it sure is a big bag of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I was flabbergasted at how terrible my framerate was on the new Silverstone. With practice, I can now drive the Corvette somewhat reasonably without flying off the track too often, but it's an awfully difficult car to include in a demo. I still can't drive any of the Formula cars at all.

My favorite rF2 cars are the Historic F2 cars - you can kick the tail out without too much trouble for slidey goodness. The historic F1s are terrifying - massive power with next to no grip and more body roll than a 70s Cadillac.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I wish I had gotten into PC racing early enough to get into the pCARS beta... it looks like a great change of pace from rFactor 2 and Race07.

Now that I'm done with school and moved to a new place, I can finally start looking into building a rig for my Fanatec CSR. I have a general idea on what I want to build, but I'm not quite sure how I want to go about the design process. I plan on using 5-ply 1/2" wood (the same that i use for speaker cabinets) and 2x4's. Is there any design or building advice from those of you who have built stands for your wheels and pedals?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Have you put any time into Live For Speed?

Not yet. Isn't that essentially Race07?

I can't wait to get my wheel to my new place - the new dev-endorsed rF2 community track looks like a lot of fun.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ISI just released the Howston G4 and G6, which are based on the Lola T70. They're a helluva lot of fun to drive around - the back end is very playful. My first few laps in, I flirted with the wall just a bit. Bonus points if someone can figure out what I was listening to when I recorded the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzUCKWNTyQ

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is RFactor 2 technically released now? Or is it in some sort of perpetual beta? I can't tell from the website.

It's technically released, with many updates and additional content in the pipeline. They are both creating new content, and updating old content. For example, their latest program update added support for some new suspension modeling features that will be utilized in their upcoming car releases, and they will also be updating the old cars to utilize these features also.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Why is it so hard to make a good rally sim? Was there some kind of one-in-a-billion genius working on RBR? If yes, where is he now? Hiding in some monastery high up in the Himalayas, guarding his secrets? There hasn't been a good rally game in ten. loving. years. Just remake RBR already and add driving aids like every simmy racing game does these days.

I'm angry. Angry about racing on gravel.

I would drive the poo poo out of RBR, but I can't get force feedback to work with it on my Fanatec.

I thought RFactor2 was supposed to have some offroad racing originally... maybe something will come out of that eventually. Going by their current development rate, I expect a demo in another decade or so.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

There is an rFactor 2 demo.

I meant a demo of offroad racing, I bought rF2 before the current demo was released. I think point-to-point racing may happen in another year, but I think off-road will be split into another product, if it happens at all.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Download the Logitech drivers, boot the wheel into PS3 mode, and then select the wheel as a G25 in the RBR settings. Works for my CSR-E anyway.

I'll give that a shot, thanks! It will probably work just as well with my CSR.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 26, 2013

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is a good recommendation for a wheel I can use on a PS3 (maybe a 4?) and PC? I saw the G25 on Amazon for $200, and I was hoping for something a tad less, like 100-150

If you can stretch your budget for the G25, I'd say do it. Alternatively, wait a couple more weeks to see if it will go on sale for Black Friday shenanigans. The couple of extra bucks spent is worth it, and if you are like me you would not be happy with a lesser wheel than that.

This is assuming that it is compatible. One reason I got a Fanatec is so I could use it on XBox360, as Logitech wheels were not compatible.

E: if the G27 is in your price range during Black Friday sales, seriously consider it. The more you use a wheel, the more you will want a wheel that is even more awesome.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 7, 2013

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks to you guys, I'm gonna snag AC tonight. If I have two unfinished racing games (AC and rF2) that's sort of like having one complete game right?

I'm looking forward to the M3.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That's a great deal on a solid wheel.

I'm probably going to get a JEGS seat and slider brackets from Amazon for my wheel rig, at first glance they look decent enough for the low price. Prices escalate quickly for anything better, and local parts yards charge an arm and a leg for fart-filled moldy old car seats.

Any other ideas for sliding seats for around a hundred bucks?

EDIT:

I also just figured out how to turn off ABS and traction control in Assetto Corsa cars when you can't turn them off through the game menu: Ctrl-A and Ctrl-T. It makes the E30 so much more fun when the ABS nanny gets out of the way.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 25, 2013

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

How much do you guys use heel/toe with your wheels, and how long did it take to learn it? My seat will be delivered tomorrow, so I should have my cockpit built pretty soon and I can start learning how to properly heel/toe. Currently, my knees hit my wheel every time I try so I use auto-blip like a scrub.

Assetto Corsa's auto-blip isn't as forgiving as rF2, I never lose the back end under braking in rF2 but it happens every few laps in AC.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Oh god, heaven, it has arrived in my life...

http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/4364/AC_UP42013C-8.jpg

Gonna blast around tonight.

To me, it feels slow as hell in the corners with the stock tires. It still looks quick in the replay, though. Modern street tires feel better, but I haven't tried the semi-slicks yet.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Joined, and I approve of that picture.

I've been putzing with the challenges in AC, and to me, some of them are a lot more challenging than others. I got the Gold in my warm-up lap for the E92, but couldn't get any of the medals for the race-spec BMW.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

Going from code masters games to proper Sims will blow your mind. Loading times are a couple of days shorter for a start....

Someone hasn't played rF2.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Are you referring to load times? I went from a 7200rpm drive to an SSD and loading times are exactly the same :shrug:

Yup. I noticed a big jump in responsiveness for most applications when I got my SSD, but not with load times. AC has much better load times than rF2, but to be fair the rF2 courses have much more detail.

In other news, one hour until the Kunos announcement, I'm guessing an official Assetto Corsa release date.

Edit: nvm, they just announced it. AC is getting the 'Ring and a 10-car DLC.

link here

Laser- scanned Nurburgring will be awesome, as will a user - chosen dream car pack like the Forza Jalopnik car packs, but it all comes down to the price they will charge...

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 24, 2013

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I wrapped up Version 1 of my cockpit this weekend. It's based on the Simul8r mkII plans.

The wheel was too high, so I lowered and angled it, but that made it too low for my angled seat rails. Next will be to install the seat rails, tilt the seat back a bit, and raise the tabletop to compensate so my knees don't get splinters. That together should improve the pedal geometry.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Essobie posted:

Nice. I see you went with screws instead of glue. I watched the Inside Sim Racing guys put one of those together and the whole time I'm cringing because they were using plumbing glue on that (and the poo poo dries in like 4 seconds or something).

How much do those chairs run, anyway?

That chair wasn't much, I think the chair and sliding mounting rails together were about 60 bucks or something. It's rough on the back, though - adding a thin pillow next time.

This doesn't fit through an interior doorway in one piece, and I knew I would be tinkering with it, so I used screws. I ran out of juice in the drill, so I didn't get three screws in any of the joints like I will eventually, but it's still really stable. I was somewhat able to drift for the Assetto Corsa challenges, and I have been using heel-toe in AC and rF2, neither of which I could do before this setup.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Assetto Corsa:
Anyone bothered with many mods? This one has a kind of AI in it so you can lap with company!
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/special-event-with-ai.1461/

Lots of stuff, mainly skins here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/assetto-corsa.1/?order=download_count

AC is supposed to get AI in Friday's update.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That's the impression I have gotten, for example they just posted about AI on Facebook yesterday or something. We'll find out soon enough.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Assetto Corsa updated.

AI enabled for all cars and improved, and collision model improved, among multiple other things, but no new content. The best part? YOU CAN LOOK BEHIND YOU NOW!

It drove me nuts not having the ability to see what the stupid AI were doing behind me.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

If you really want to be a pedant, it would probably be most accurate to call it a single-stage rally or a point-to-point race.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

The Lotus is such a fun car. However, the AI seems to be even more inept than usual in it.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

For those of you who hadn't bought it yet, like me, F1 2013 is 75% off through the weekend. You can also play it for free through the weekend if you want to try it out.

I hopped in, got the game and all the DLC for 16 bucks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

After playing it a bit, yeah it's not great, but it's worth the few bucks so I can play online with friends who can't handle a proper sim.

The force feedback is pretty crap...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think I have the retro expansion, might need to look into that.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

If you haven't downloaded the new Panoz roadster for rF2, do it. This thing is a lot of tail-happy fun.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

So these might be fun also: http://rfactor.net/web/2014/03/27/kart-preview/

DW12 and Indy are due out before the 500, going to be a great few months for RF2.

Yesssss

I don't want to have to wait until November for Project:Cars, but rF2 and Assetto Corsa will help me through.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

365 Nog Hogger posted:

It is a Sim with a capital S, physics-wise (my wheel came with GT5 and it is clown shoes in comparison) but currently doesn't have tire wear (only temp) or things like ignition and engine failures (except due to improper shifting, dropping two gears at full throttle will kill most of the engines in the game).

I disagree - it is a pretty solid sim, certainly more of a sim than LFS for example, but it feels a little bit arcadey for me in comparison to rF2. It's really easy to save a bad slide or overdrive the car without much consequence.

Still fun as hell, though - I'm going to try out the new cars for most of tomorrow afternoon.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Quote is not edit.

I would say it's a lowercase-s sim.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I completely agree, the Camaro is a bit better though. I mostly drive the historic cars, but the roadster may be my new favorite.

If rF2 had Assetto Corsa's cars, I would be very happy. Even better, just give me a Cortina.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

:siren: Assetto Corsa multiplayer next Friday :siren:

Been waiting for that for a long time.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Wow, that will more than do for me. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a game but maybe Assetto Corsa can break that habit.

Iirc, it's still discounted until its full release. Buy now - they are on build 0.9x now, they may put out a 1.0 soon like rF2 and update more from there

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

What's the go-to shifter right now? I've got Fanatec CSR wheel and pedals now, with no shifter. The CSR shifter set is at a great price point, but it seems too low of a price compared to the ClubSport and Thrustmaster shifters. Would the CSR be a decent option until I do a full cockpit upgrade in a few years? Are there any other options in the ~$100 range?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I have the CSR wheel, the pedals and the shifter set. Of these I only regret the shifter set. It feels cheap and you have to do some home-made modding to get it to stop being annoyingly loud.

Edit: This weekend I dusted of the wheel for the first time in a year since putting my 360 and Forza4 away. I tried out Assetto Corsa and I think once that's released properly I need a 3-screen setup or preferably a Rift. The FFB is amazing compared to Forza4, although the "weight" seems to vary wildly from car to car. The differences seem a bit pretty extreme. Is or will there be a way to save FFB presets per car?

Well, many real cars feel different from each other... a modern GT racer will have a very different feel compared to an old M3. I use the same settings on all cars except for drift cars, which have their own setup with only 600 degree steering and other tweaks like that. I haven't noticed anything so extreme that I have needed to adjust settings in AC.

rFactor 2, on the other hand, needs each car to be tweaked for me to feel comfortable with it. Each car's settings are saved and recalled automatically, though.

On the shifter note, I think I'll hold off for the moment and see if the Thrustmaster TH8RS goes on sale for a hundred bucks again. I think it's safe to say the ClubSport shifter won't be going on sale ever, knowing Fanatec...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Maybe I just got to get used to it a bit more, but at 80 FFB ingame (100 on the wheel) turning the E30 is real work while the E30 Group A feels like a feather.

Edit: There is no way to get into Project Cars at the moment, right?

Looks like I'll need to do some more racing today... for science! :science:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

The standard E30 M3 is noticeably harder to steer, yes. However, I don't notice any clipping or anything with my wheel. I've got my wheel at 100 and the game at 1.0 gain, so slightly higher settings than yours. The E30, iirc, didn't really have much power steering help, so that's realistic. If anything, you could set up a preset on your wheel with lower FF for those couple of cars that have less assistance. I don't know how you set yours up, but I've got two setups saved for rFactor 2, and two for Assetto Corsa.

I still haven't hopped on the iRacing train, but one of these days I'll sub up and destroy everyone's SR when my computer decides to switch focus to another program.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I really really wish I was able to get into the PCars beta, I think I missed it by a week or so. I just downloaded the rF2 version of the Ring from VirtualR though, and the spectators made bonfires!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Played around with Assetto some more and finally figured out my issue with the FF (this is on my CSR) after realizing there's an FF meter in the "Pedals" UI element. Turns out the E30 Group A starts clipping somewhat seriously at 100% gain and sits comfortable at 90%, while the normal E30 sits right at 60% and beyond 70% is pretty much permanently clipping in every corner, at which point it feels like a constant strong counterforce with no further information left. In fact, those clipping thresholds seems to be consistent for all production (~70%) and race cars (~100%) I tried. So either 60% is where it should be for my wheel and the race cars are supposed to be that light, or - my guess - it's a byproduct of road vs. race tires?

That's a FF meter? I was wondering what that was.

Why would they have so many cars set up to clip the force feedback level so easily by default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Maybe it's something on my side? I do have the latest driver and firmware though, so I wouldn't know what else it could be. You have a Standard CSR too, right? Does yours show the same behaviour?

Same here for setup, I just didn't realize there was a FF meter - that's really useful to know. Mine clips also, but it hasn't really gotten in the way of my driving. At maximum cornering force, I can bounce off the FF clip indicator.

I'm turning my gain down a bit to see what happens. I don't want to turn it down too far, though, and lose too much sensitivity when FF is less active.

• Locked thread