Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Ola posted:

Because it doesn't have a gearbox. It beats most supercars up to 100 mph in one gear. If they added a gearbox to it, different story.

Gearbox wouldn't help that much. A P85 has about 175 Nm @ 100 mph and 430 Nm @ 50 mph. If you would add a second gear that would double the overall gear ratio you would get 215 Nm @ 100 mph with some additional transmission loss and weight. An improvement, but nothing that would change the overall conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Ola posted:

It will help any car, ICEs or electrics, the math is the same. The torque dips when it starts running out of revs so you change the drive ratio, lose torque but gain wheel speed. It will lose the top speed race to a car with higher hp/drag because physics.

But because of the particular shape of the Tesla torque curve the benefit is gears small compared to the benefit gears provide in typical ICE cars. The phenomenal low speed performance advantage Tesla enjoys will not be there at higher speeds - gears or no gears - because ICE cars are also able to utilize their optimal rev range. It becomes just a question of power-to-weight. Granted, something like Charger Hellcat is needed to match the power-to-weight ratio of a P90D, but you can buy two of the Hellcats for the price of a P90D.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Oh, I had no idea that that existed. Do you know a lot about this? How much of modern car assembly is outsourced? I don't know much about this subject, but I'd be shocked if Honda/Toyota/other reliable car brands heavily rely on outsourcing assembly.

Valmet used to build Porsche Boxters and Caymans. Before that it was at least Saabs and Opel Calibras. At the moment they build the Mercedes-Benz A-class. They also did the short production run of Fisker.

Edit: Cars produced at Valmet Automotive:
code:
Saab 95  1969–1975 2,833
Saab 96	 1969–1980 65,887
Saab 99	 1969–1984 191,049
Saab 90	 1983–1987 25,380
Saab 9000 1986–1990 8,267
Saab 900 1978–1992 238,898
Saab 900 / 9-3 Convertible 1986–2003 198,032
Saab 9-3 1999–2003 7,789
Saab total 1969–2003 738,135

Chrysler-Talbot	 1979–1985 31,978
Opel Calibra	 1991–1997 93,978
Euro-Samara	 1996–1998 14,048

Porsche Boxster	 1997–2010 168,477
Porsche Cayman	 2005–2011 59,413
Porsche total	 1997–2011 227,890

THINK City	 2009–2011 1,794
Garia Golf Car	 2009–2011 2,192
Fisker Karma	 2011–2012 2,718

Mercedes-Benz A-Class	 2013–	
in production

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 26, 2015

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Anecdote: Local Tesla owner's club had an article of a taxi driver who has put 260 000 km (162 000 miles) on his 2014 P85 Model S. Non-warranty maintenance bills ~15 k€ (Charger, power steering, rear subframe, three door handles). One drive-unit replacement which was covered by warranty. The Tesla would need to run flawlessly for next 3 years for the fuel savings to offset the repair bills compared to his previous Volvo. In practice the cars are replaced every three years at ~350 000 km.

Edit: Fuel is $6/gallon and electricity 10 c/kWh around here.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 29, 2016

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but there's nothing to break in an electric car anyway right? Do it

According to local taxi owner who runs Tesla S it has been more expensive to maintain than internal combustion cars. 17 k€ in non warranty repairs (power steering, rear subframe, doorhandles etc.) on top of warranty repairs (drive unit replacement etc.).

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Model S is bland but well proportioned and handsome. With the Model 3 they are replicating the same design language but throwing away the well proportioned bit and the language itself is a bit more dated by now.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Is that bad for EV sold in five states? What where the sales targets?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The sole reason why Tesla greenfielded the Gigafactory alongside Panasonic is that no one could get close to supply for what they wanted - to get a handle on the scale here, Tesla's demands for batteries will equal the entire world 2013 supply. China might be ramping up itself but you are still talking about 5 years in the future before anyone has the capcity to volume supply for cars like Tesla is ramping up to - The Koreans and Japanese other than Panasonic due to the partnership with Tesla are in no position to get anywhere close. How is any other car maker going to get supply when Tesla and the Chinese are going to corner the market for themselves - and not just the batteries themselves, but the input resources.

The 35 GWh gigafactory is big, but it is by no means dominant player in the lithium-ion battery production market.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Are you looking for MY2013 cars? Because in NC 2013 Volts go for around $12k to $16k. Must be a Euro thing where electrics and hybrids are in greater demand.

Taxes. They seem to be 15-20 k€ around here with 50-100k miles.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think that Volt electric range can cover the commute of vast majority of peope and they can use all of it without any anxiety. It is not more expensive than full electric (more expensive the ICE though) and it hardly matters in the grand scheme of things if 10% of driving is with ICE.

It would be ideal car for someone in my position living in a house in suburd 25 km from city center and 25 km from work. I don’t even think that that is a small subset of car buyers. I’d say quite the opposite. Unfortunately GM doesn’t sell 2gen Volt here. None of the other PHEVs have the range to properly cover the commute.

Hyundai ioniq provides an intresting cost comparison as it comes with different drivetrains (tax free):
Hybrid: 18 k€
PHEV: 25 k€ (EV range 20 miles)
EV: 27 k€ (EV range 124 miles)

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 20, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
On the other hand, all non-engine components still require the same amount of maintenance. Anecdotal, but according to local taxi company Tesla S has required more maintenace and repair work than their ICE cars. Warranty (motor unit replacement) and non-warranty (rear subframe, power steering etc.).

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I don’t think any EV (or PHEV) makes economic sense unless there are tax incentives to ensure it. It is hardly a reason to object PHEVs over EVs.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 22, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

ClassH posted:

Over what time frame? I mean up front cost yea but total cost of ownership very well could be. Also new vs used would make quite a difference.

Any time frame I would assume. Might work with a very cheap used EV (Leaf with bad battery) on a short commute. Or something like Tesla X versus the high performance Bentley SUV or optioned G-wagen. Neither of which make any economic sense either.

Ioniq pricing I posted on previous page illustrates the cost of EV gear quite well:
Hybrid: 18 k€
PHEV: 25 k€ (EV range 20 miles)
EV: 27 k€ (EV range 124 miles)

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 22, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Cd on its own is not quite fair when used to compare cars from different size groups and layouts, because there are constraints like the size and shape of a human. Generally it is easier to reach a lower Cd with a larger car as there is more to play with in relation to the constraints. On the other hand, that room to play easily may result in larger area. So CdA may be more fair between different vehicle types, but both have uses. Also, the tip of the nose is not that important for Cd.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Jesus Christ what an argument. The shape of the nose doesn't determine if i3 or Leaf is more aerodynamic. There are no conclusions that can be drawn from the reported Cd to the influence the shape of the nose of each of the cars may or may not have on the overall drag. The Cd is much more sensitive to design of many other bits.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think ~63% efficiency is the record for a combustion power plant (combined cycle gas turbine) in electricity generation. A large diesel generators get up to 51%. F1 engines can also hit this in optimal conditions. Good modern, boiler - steam turbine power plants tend to peak around 48%. Of course if the waste heat can be used for example district heating the overall efficiency can be very high. I think passenger car diesels can reach up to 40% and gas engines 30-35%.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Saukkis posted:

When you are comparing engine efficience you must forget about the 30% value, because ICE motors achieve that around 1/3rd of max RPM and 2/3rd of full throttle. You can't use a normal car like that. If you want to run your car at peak efficiency your would have to start around 1500 RPM, do a powerful acceleration until you reach 2500 RPM, turn off your engine and coast until you reach the speed corresponding to 1500RPM. And then repeat until you reach your destination. Or maybe you could get close to the peak efficiency if you drive a Bugatti Veyron at 200 km/h. To drive at 100 km/h with peak efficiency would require a car equipped with a 500 cc bike engine, and not a powerful one.

This is true and also the motivation for the 9 speed transmissions and cylinder deactivation seen in modern cars. So the overall efficiency has improved quite a bit and is closer to the peak values. I don't have numbers though and it probably is quite sensitive to driving style.

At the other end in power plant scale the peak electricity generation efficiency is not really the whole story either. A modern fluidized bed boiler CHP (combined heat and power) plant is not very picky about the quality of fuel and can run on different types of waste streams. The heat can be used for district heating or on process industry. The overall efficiency is very high (>90%) and fuel can be something would need processing anyway or would decompose to CO2 regardless if it is used to generate power or not.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think that they said that currently Tesla is at $140/kWh and they hope to reach the $100/kWh mark. The $140 is quite well in line with the GM price of buying them from LG. Nissan gave up on in-house battery production because they couldn't compete with third party manufacturers. I think they also buy then from LG nowadays.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I forgot about the Kona and Niro. where i will go to the mat for Tesla is that they have by far the best sales model in the industry. when john q public walks in to a Hyundai or Kia dealership (which are loving dire places that have only just maybe started to climb out of the 10-year unlimited warranty cheap credit buy-here-pay-here buyer) that mother fucker is going to tell him to buy a Sportage or a Tucson or whatever. tesla has a huge advantage because they don't have a dedicated nationwide sales force of retards actively trying to convince customers not to buy electric cars. this is a big problem with the Bolt, too!

I still think we're at the point where Tesla's sales model is an advantage.

I will eat my hat if there are 100 battery EV only models that you can go out there and buy in 2020. Right now I count: 3, S, X, Bolt, Leaf, can you still buy a 500e? eGolf, Focus Electric, uhhh what else? That makes eight?

At least in non-US markets Hyundai Ioniq EV and Renault Zoe. Edit: gently caress, another page with much more complete lists..

Qwijib0 posted:

Looks like the norwegian price is ~36K USD for the base model, ~39K for the all-features model. It's listed with a 64kwh battery, but the US version is rated for "250 miles" at 117MPGe, which would require a 72kwh battery so I'm not sure those prices will directly translate. If they do, then it looks good.

Do these prices include VAT or other taxes?

El Grillo posted:

How many genuine competitor vehicles to Tesla's are either out or going into production any time soon? i.e. long range consumer BEVs. The only one I can think of is the I Pace. Apparently you can order one of those now, I don't know if they are shipping them yet though?

Not really genuine competitors as they are all cheaper than Teslas, but at least Bolt, Zoe, Kona, Niro, 2019 Leaf. I think all of these do at least 200 miles on a charge.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 18, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

They refer (in the Master’s thesis you link) to a “Nordic electricity mix”, but don’t define it.

Swedish electricity production is 1. Hydro (~45%), 2. Nuclear (~30), 3. Wind (~10), 4. CHP (~rest)

Very, very low carbon emissions altogether. It doesn't get much better than that.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is talking about sulfur and particulates rather than CO2

If the goal was to reduce CO2 emissions, there would be many more efficient uses for the money spent to buy something like a Model S. Tax incentives could also be used to promote electrification of things like city busses rather than luxury passenger cars. That would be much more efficient in terms of CO2 emission reduction.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Busses are used by a lot of people in many parts of the world and electric busses already in production and use have far greater impact than all the EV passenger car production combined. More than 100000 BEV busses are produced every year and each has much, much larger impact on CO2 emission than a passenger car. Busses are large vehicles that run 12-16 hours a day. Compare that to typical BEV passenger car usage. They also run in densely populated areas, which makes the reduction of particulate and NOx emissions particularly useful.

Of course there would also be many other more efficient uses regarding CO2 emissions for the money spent of luxury EVs, particularly in developing world. So it is a bit strange approach, if the goal is to save the world instead of producing admittedly cool cars. And the latter is a fine motivation for in it self.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

get your learn on, friend: https://www.transit.dot.gov/sites/fta.dot.gov/files/docs/PublicTransportationsRoleInRespondingToClimateChange2010.pdf

cliff notes:
on a per passenger VMT basis busses are already relatively efficient C02 producers compared to cars (roughly 65% of the emissions per pvmt). this accounts for the lousy average utilization of busses (26% occupancy on average).
passenger cars and light trucks make up the majority (57%) of CO2 emissions in the transport sector, which also includes OTR trucks, and airplanes. busses make up part of a small share of that total called "other"
there are already robust and aggressive hybridization, CNG conversion, and electric vehicle efforts in American cities

i loving hate the policy concept that small minded idiots push that unless you are doing The Optimal One Thing that it's a dumb policy, plus you're absolutely wrong about where CO2 comes from in this country. It comes from passenger cars. You might get some better immediate bang for your buck because emissions are higher on a per-unit basis for trucks and busses, but until you get meaningful electrification of personal vehicles in this country we are hosed from a CO2 emissions perspective.

A few things:
1. US is uniquely passenger car oriented compared to rest of the world

2. The price of batteries is so high at the moment that is only viable for expensive cars. Not enough cars are sold to have a large impact on CO2 emissions of all the passenger cars described by the emissions in the document you linked. When the price of batteries drops down low enough for wide spread adoption, it is easy to make electrified passenger cars as well. Just see Hyundai Ionig and Kona for direct comparison of the different drivetrains (Gas, Hybrid, PHEV, EV) and their cost. The EV versions are very expensive compared to gas/hybrid models. Typically EV's are also bought by people who do not drive that much, which further decreases the impact on CO2 emissions.

3. In busses, garbage trucks etc. EV is already cost competitive because of larger unit size and higher utilization, although the batteries are still the most expensive component. It would be better use of the expensive and limited production batteries in a bus or garbage truck. Putting the Model S batteries in a bus or garbage truck or mail truck has much larger impact in terms of CO2 emissions.

Up here in north where we use gravel of roads during winter and studded tires most the particulate emissions from road transportation are actually often road dust rather and engine produced. Going EV will not reduce these emissions. It may even make it slightly worse if the cars get heavier. Same goes for the noise. At speed there is little difference in noise generated by an EV and modern ICE passenger car. Most of the noise is aerodynamic and tyre noise.

That said, I do not object to production of passenger car EVs and I would like to have one, but at the moment I think it is more of a personal preference or luxury purchase.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are wrong on utilization. big heavy vehicles require a lot of energy to move around, and therefore a lot of batteries, and therefore quite a bit of time to recharge batteries when they are drained. if i am running a bus 14 hours a day, i don't have an opportunity to charge the bus since to build it to run 14 hours would require an outrageous amount of batteries. this is in large part why mild hybrid has been successful for busses. EV is not cost competitive on bus or garbage truck yet. if it were, people would buy them because fundamentally these are businesses with working assets where they need to make money. there's no vanity in garbage truck powertrains, and very little in busses.

More than 100000 BEV city busses are built every year and have been since 2016. City busses and garbage trucks travel at slow speed and in continuous stop-and-go travel which makes them ideal for electrification. A bus can quick charge at the end of the line stop in 5 minutes enough to run an 80 km route continuously in normal schedule. Same approach can be applied to garbage trucks. Thus, long term commitment to the investment (city level) is important for the economic viability. IIRC a BEV bus investment cost currently is approx. twice the cost of an ICE bus, but it should earn it back and more within the use period and the quick charge stations can support multiple busses as well as their replacements. This of course depends on local electricity and fuel markets, but there should be a clear case for the approach at least in Northern European market.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

.....5 minutes to recharge? No. 1-2 hours? Sure.

3 - 6 minutes for the Linkker buses mentioned byt KozmoNaut.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Most of that smog is from gasoline passenger vehicles and industrial/coal. Its part of why China is pushing hard for Nuclear, Solar, Wind, and Hydro as part of their 5 year plan.

To add, the coal is not just in powerplant scale, but also coal boilers in apartment buildings. These are very rudimentary and produce a lot of emissions are slow to change because of the large number of units.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

The most range I've ever seen out of an electric vairant of an ICE car has been 125 miles (e-Golf).

Kona has 300 mile range and looks identical to the ICE version. Most Konas are normal ICEs, but I would guess that electrification is accounted for in the design of the platform.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

If it was released simultaneously in gas and electric, then it most likely would have been designed to hold the big battery pack from the beginning. I was previously referring to taking an established car design, swapping out the engine for an electric motor, and cramming in the batteries wherever they'll fit.

Well the ICE Kona has been out since 2017 and the electric is just become available, but they’ve cartainly been designed simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

There is def a market for a 200mi range EV that has absolutely nothing special in it. As long as it's reliable, blows cold air, and is marketed to where people will know it exists.

I think this is Hyundai Kona, except for marketing. I guess they don’t need to market it more to sell the cars they make.

• Locked thread