Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

32GB 9.7" HP Touchpad is $219 today on Woot. There's an early build of CM7 for this tablet I think so it's a pretty great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

golgo13sf posted:

I don't know about you but my time is worth at minimum $50/hr.

Holy poo poo I guess I pay myself a LOT to play video games and mess with my phone, then!

Is that tax deductible?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Macys posted:

Well, I imagine that trying to take pictures with a 10" tablet might be a little unwieldy and silly looking.
I spotted this guy taking photos of his daughter's xmas recital. I thought he looked like a huge idiot.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Viewsonic Viewpad 10s is $235 today on Tiger Direct via eBay. There are at least a couple HC ROMs for this and maybe some ICS work in the pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewSonic-10%22-WiFi-Internet-Tablet/320840004836

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Don Lapre posted:

Arn't these the ones with the absolute horrible screens?
No clue just thought I'd mention it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Don Lapre posted:

Glass is only a little over halfway up Mohs scale. Also it's not what's on your fingertips that scratches glass, it's what ends up in your pockets or bags.
For what it's worth my kids can find something harder than any tablet/phone screen within seconds. I put a screen protector on everything.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If that Nexus tablet has an SD slot I'll definitely replace my Fire. Looking forward to more info on Wednesday.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hamelekim posted:

Why bother with android then if it won't have expandable storage? That is one of the major positives of android tablets. I'm not stuck paying 700 dollars for 64GB of storage, and can double that relatively cheaply, and remove/transfer that storage whenever I want.

That's pretty much a deal killer for me, no removable storage.
That's what I'm thinking too. 8GB on my Kindle Fire is extremely restrictive and there's really no reason to consider replacing it if the Nexus tablet won't have a way for me to put my own storage in.

And Google wants to pull an Apple and charge $50 for another 8GB of flash? No thanks.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Man I was really hoping they would not charge an additional $50 for 3 bucks worth of flash memory but yep. The wait to replace my Kindle Fire continues :(

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Polo-Rican posted:

Thank god someone has finally broken the unbreakable $500 price line.

edit:
Kindle Fire doesn't count.
If you're being facetious I can't really tell. iPad2 is $399, the Asus Transformer Prime is $380, the Motorla XOOM is $370, Toshiba Thrive is $399... and those are just the 10" tablets.

7" tablets go for around $200.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Chas McGill posted:

Do you reckon it would be good for reading comics on?
The fact that "CMX-HD" which are the very high resolution comics from comiXology are only available on the iPad 3 would lead me to say no. All tablets are pretty good for reading comics but until there are some Android/WP8 tablets with 250+ ppi then stick to a retina device.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 the lightest 10" Android tablet? I have a friend looking for an ultra lightweight one.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm eyeballing the TF300 for a comic book reader because my iPad 1 is just too heavy. Is it still considered the best of the bunch for 10.1" tablets under $500? Does anyone know if Jellybean will come somewhat quickly to it?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

IT Guy posted:

At this point I would just wait for the Infinity. It's going to start at $499 for the 32GB version and comes out in the next two weeks sometime.
I forgot it came out so soon, thanks. Unless comiXology plans to bring the CMX-HD retina comics to the Infinity I won't have a big motivation to spend the extra $125 but I'll keep my eye on the reviews.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vagrancy posted:

Out of curiosity why have you ruled out the iPad 2/new iPad? Either of those would also solve the weight issue, but with less of a switching cost.
It's mostly because I hate Apple and their ecosystem but pragmatically it's because 16GB is way too little storage for a "retina"/HD tablet where single games and apps can take up over a gigabyte each. The CMX-HD files are also about twice as large as normal comic files.

So I figure an Android tablet with 64GB of storage will cost $400 (TF300) to $525 (Infinity) where a 64GB iPad is a completely ridiculous $700

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Have they ever launched a product smoothly? I mean really.
If it's like other Google launches the Nexus 7 will be in beta for 30 months

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yes I'd really appreciate it if we could not fill the thread up with Nexus 7 shipping updates so that my post about when my Transformer Infinity ships isn't lost.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Geno posted:

Can we complain about paying $13 for shipping because we didn't know it would be sold in B&M stores (presumably) near the same time it's launched?
In my state it would be about $23 of tax so if you bought it from an online retailer and paid $13 shipping you still save :10bux:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bonxai posted:

Are there pre-orders for those up anywhere? The Transformer Infinity I mean.
I haven't noticed any. I'm pretty much committed to buying my Infinity from Amazon since I'll be using gift cards so I hope they have it on the 16th (the supposed launch day).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

For some people (like me), the cool thing about the Kindle Fire is that you can stream Prime video which is basically like Netflix. You can also check out ebooks for free from the Kindle Owner Lending Library which you can't do from any other tablet.

That being said, the app store has most of what you'd want with the downside of having updates be delayed because they need to be approved by Amazon. I'm sure there is stuff missing but you can sideload most apks including ones not in the Amazon store so it's not a huge deal.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Went ahead and put AOSP Jelly Bean on my Kindle Fire; what's up all you scrubs waiting for the UPS man :smugdog:

So far I'm highly impressed with 4.1.1. I have spent so much time fighting with and hating Froyo and Gingerbread that this has been a really significant improvement in user interface, speed and usability. I now have no hesitation in my plans to pick up a 10" Android tablet (provided it ships with JB)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mystery Opponent posted:

How's the battery life been after you did that? I did the same thing and I think that the battery drains much faster on 4.1.1 than on the stock ROM.
So far it feels like I'll have shorter overall battery life than stock but not by much. Tablets have pretty impressive battery life in general so I doubt it'll annoy me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bob A Feet posted:

What does "rode hard put away wet" even mean??
Not to derail and I'm not entirely sure you're serious, but it refers to a horse who is ridden hard and put in the stall while still sweaty.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rastor posted:

A few retailers will now let you purchase the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T:

Amazon
Usually ships in 3-4 weeks? Fuuuuuck

edit: Amazon says this thing has a hell of a hard drive:

quote:

Hard Drive
Size: 32 GB
Type: Serial ATA
Speed: 100000 rpm

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 15, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well I bought the Infinity. I wasn't able to choose overnight Prime shipping; maybe that will change once they have a firm release date. Hope this mofo gets Jelly Bean soon :ohdear:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

theultimo posted:

Even with ghosting issues, the nexus 7 is infintimsilally better.
I think you mean infinitely better. And yes these cheap rear end tablets just aren't worth saving $70 compared to the two tablets at $200 that are actually good.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Speaking of unboxing videos, here is the world's worst:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/always-unboxes-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700/9742-1_53-50127631.html

Apparently this lady thinks Asus is pronounced "Uh-soos" and this video cuts directly from the Infinity in the box to the Infinity charged up, powered on and in her hand. There is literally not 1 second of unboxing shown.

Also she says "the weight is 1.3 pounds... so it's a little heavy :rolleyes:" and then less than 1 minute later she says how thin and light it is.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 16, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Fister posted:

I, for one, will never get over it :colbert:

I wouldn't mind it if they put 32 gigs or more of memory and that seems to be a sentiment of a lot of people. The 16 gigs on the galaxy nexus is just baffling.
This is exactly how I feel. Flash memory is cheap as gently caress and 8GB in the base Nexus 7 is quite frankly insulting, almost as insulting as the $50 it costs to get the additional 8GB which costs the manufacturer maybe $2-3. It's a huge markup on a cheap component and it comes straight from the Apple playbook.

averox posted:

According the the Tech Report podcast Asus is apparently pronounced Uh-soos... As in pegasus. Some rep or something from Asus told them how to properly pronounce it. I still pronounce it A-soos.
Tech report (and that cnet lady) would appear to be wrong, here is how you pronounce it: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/17/how-to-pronounce-asus-video/

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Amazon just changed the delivery date of my Transformer Infinity from Aug 14th to July 19th (this Thursday). I guess this means they should be in stock at various places this week for anyone interested. Now back to your regularly scheduled Nexus 7 shipping discussion thread.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

Calibre would have to support MTP. No nexus device on 4.x works with USB mass storage.
Man. I realize it's some kind of mandated "elegant solution" from a very important Google engineering team but gently caress not having expandable storage and gently caress not being able to see your device from your computer. I can't imagine this is a benefit to the consumer at all.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Because if a device is actually as big as the DPI reports, you don't have 5-8" thumbs to reach to the middle of it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TooLShack posted:

So mine was shipped out and it appears the UPS driver dropped it off at the wrong house or lost it. I checked with all my neighbors and they didn't get it, UPS says it's delivered and told me to contact Google. I had mine shipped preconfigured with my google account, does that lock the Nexus to just my account? Been on hold with Google for the past 45min, I hope I can get a new one shipped to me.
Man, this sucks. Sorry to hear it. I hate to use your experience as an example but this is why people should always have things shipped to their work. UPS treats businesses a LOT better than residential customers.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TooLShack posted:

I work from home....
Ok well the point is don't have your tech toys shipped to a house. Unless it's via USPS and you have a neighborhood mailbox with locking package area.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

mesc posted:

So, I have a Transformer Infinity that is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll be out of town starting on Tuesday and I was really hoping to get a dock before my flight.

The dock I ordered from Amazon alongside the tablet is still scheduled for 1-2 months, and while I know that the Prime dock is apparently usable as well, is there any reason why I wouldn't want to buy that dock for the Infinity?
Actually the Prime dock has a slightly larger battery and is forward compatible so unless the color doesn't match or some aesthetic thing, I'd get the Prime dock for the Infinity.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hooray thanks UPS lady

First impressions: light, well constructed (all 4 sides of screen are attached HEH) and I quickly loaded a comic book up which looked amazing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shadowgate posted:

What widget is that you are running?
That's just how the TF700 looks out of the box, I hadn't done anything but enter my google account and took a pic. They are Asus widgets.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I really want one of the cheap fake leather folio cases, but there are a million different ones on Amazon, half of them appear to be the same thing, and there's no telling of any of them are higher quality than the others. I'm trying to wait until some people get them and report on quality, but I don't want my N7 to get damaged in the mean time. It's so pretty. :(
In many years of buying cases for various items I have found that a vast majority of them are the exact same cheap Chinese poo poo from the exact same Chinese factory, only with varying price tags. I have seen entire pages of eBay listings with the exact same case from 10 different vendors. The good news is that it costs very little to try out a couple of cases.

e: I'm currently looking around for a case for my Transformer Infinity and they all look pretty much identical and bad :(

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 19, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

BobbyDrake posted:

I already have a Kindle Fire, but drat, I want a Nexus 7 so badly. I rooted the Kindle, but I'm returning it to stock cause I don't like the battery life with the ROMs I've put on it, and I'm also gonna unroot it, in case I need to do a warrenty swap out on it. I just don't like how closed in the Kindle's OS is. Would it be worth it to sell the Kindle and get a Nexus?
You can get about $80 for it from instantsale.ebay.com which means you could probably get $120 on eBay or Craigslist. Seems like $80 is a good trade up.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

atehist posted:

I know I'm stuck with a broken and useless piece of poo poo device. I'm not even going to bother trying to deal with Asus/Google as literally no one would believe me about a screen breaking on its own.
I think a case could be made if the damage was from temperature, like if it sat in the sun or on top of an A/C vent or something. Certainly worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have noticed that some apps in 4.0 and higher will dim the home/menu/back keys and the clock/notification area into little grey dots when you're doing something fullscreen. Kindle, Netflix and Dark Horse are a few I have noticed doing this. Its helpful cause they are not only less annoying but also less likely to burn in the screen. Is there a way to force other apps to do this too? Or can it only be controlled by the app itself? Specifically I want comixology and perfect viewer to dim the software buttons while in reading mode.