Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Sheldrake posted:

I need a movie poster font nerd's help. What's the font on the Tree of Life poster?

Also, to contribute, one of my favorite posters:

I know this guy also did work for MAD magazine, but those dialogue boxes are ripped straight out of my dad's old issues from the 70's (best gift 10-year-old me ever received.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

uPen posted:

Almost all of these look a little lot off.

It's like her head is directed straight forward, but her face is out of line with her skull and pointing just to the side.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Mondo Goonies poster:

I know that's supposed to be gold, but it really looks like One-Eyed Willie's mouth is full of bees.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Alhazred posted:

He acted circles around everyone in Kill Bill vol. 1

But he doesn't show up until vol 2. Unless :thejoke:.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

And the only movie where you can see Paul Winfield consumed by a ravaging horde of cockroaches, or maybe a blanket with shreds of paper on it, "Damnation Alley":

I swear to you that special effects in the '70s were not always this bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjiOb8WZoEo

I loved this movie as a kid but totally forgot its name. Thank you.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

DKWildz posted:

Mike Mitchell - The Iron Giant

How Freudian. :pedo:

Rahonavis posted:

This poster's pretty neat, but the text up top just throws me for a loop every time. I'm guessing the single common element in all three films is the company that did the 3D effects?

If this movie featured the music of Strange Advance it would bomb horribly but make me the happiest man on earth ever.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Blocked in America :argh:

Try any of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsxpBksDvwk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jAK6hSyXDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTNkRLfKLYc

It's Worlds Away by Strange Advance, a mostly forgotten Canadian synth/prog band from the 80's.
(We Run, Home Of The Brave, and Alien Time are a few other good songs of theirs.)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

This just arrived in the mail today.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

jet sanchEz posted:

Out of curiosity, where did you buy this? I ask because it is missing the rest of the quote and it really changes the tone of the whole thing.

I goofed and bought the Australian version by accident.

Since it's my favorite film, I'm tempted to just buy the 'normal' one and hold onto the one I have as an Aussie novelty.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

I wasn't a big fan of this when it was first posted here, but recently they've displayed it in my local theatre.

I have to it's a lot more impressive in person when it's given a backlight. It illuminates the florescent bulb in the picture in just the right way and gives the whole poster a lot more character and depth that would be missing if it were simply hung up on a wall or presented as a image on the internet.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

I give it half a point because not only is that the coffee scene where De Niro and Al Pacino get chummy and have coffee together, the poster also portrays the final gunfight between their characters. Ever play an old video game where your tank or soldier is a circle with a dot sticking out of it? That's what I see in this picture. The coffee handles are "turrets", where De Niro and Pacino are aiming with guns drawn, playing a game of cat and mouse, and the word HEAT is that white shack that separated them on the airstrip.

It's not worth defending, but that's at least what I see.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

Awesome new building ad for Game of Thrones

I see a woman with long, black, wind-swept hair.

jet sanchEz posted:

I like this idea too and I know I have seen some examples of it but I cannot for the life of me remember any that are not part of a huge ARG. Can anyone think of any?

Prometheus had a few promoting products from Weyland Industries.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

quote:

Ponypool confusion

Considering Ponypool 1 was about unnatural and infectious language that turned its victims into zombies when they tried to make sense of it, that poster almost nearly working but not quite makes it absolutely perfect.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

That exclamation mark on the end really messes up the way it sounds in my head.

Highwaaay tooo the Twilight Zone!

Take you right intooo the Twilight Zooone!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Chieves posted:

Here's another Into Darkness poster that is almost as visually interesting (although not as cool overall IMO) as the Spock one:

I wish it was crisper- the blur kind of ruins it.

I can't wait to see Kirk escape from the cranberry swamps of Planet Ocean Spray(tm)!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Canned Panda posted:

I hope not, because my wife would have some major explaining to do...

On a thread-related note, here is the best VHS cover for Deep Rising:

The name for this translates to The Grid.

Below that says: Rob Bottin - Creature Design, in case anyone was curious.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Hewlett posted:

The poster I really hate is this one:

SLO NO MO

It didn't help that, right after I saw that terrible-rear end tagline, a woman walked by, saw the tagline, and stopped her husband to show her how hi-larious the tagline was. They both laughed uproariously, repeating it to themselves through laughter before moving on.

"Well at least this one has a different face."

And then I saw the reflection.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Last night I dreamt I saw an old 70's slasher poster, probably because of seeing these.
All I remember were the taglines:

"Aw Hell! He'll probably kill everyone!"

"He's evil!

They're young!"

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

The tagline for this fails to make any grammatical sense, no matter which way you slice it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xO7RwTV4k

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Not sure what counts as special edition but I'm going to post these anyways:

Memento

Reservoir Dogs

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

That is not De Niro. Stop lying to me.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Rahonavis posted:

And a later poster that is slightly more indicative of what you're in for if you watch it. Holy poo poo, that cast list... :cry:

Why would they photoshop out the cow's udder? Isn't that what's supposed to make cows "funny"?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Not the weirdest thing Loki has done honestly, I mean he was the mother of Odin's warhorse

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Where do you think Mike learned all his skills?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

I was kinda hoping it was just going to be Paul Giamatti in a goofy rhino suit:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Without knowing anything about printing or the business, would it be that farfetched to offer second-run printing using more traditional/lower-quality printing methods so that the collectors get their higher-quality, limited editions and the rest of us get something that's not as great but still looks nice on the wall?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

How do we know that's a man's skeleton? :crossarms:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

This is the first I've realized it's 'inch' not 'itch'. Only having read the wikipedia article... it made sense up till this point. :shlick:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Red_Museum posted:

I feel like I first saw the trailer for this years ago.

Was it this trailer?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Despite it being the norm, I bet they took special care to make sure the names were over the wrong actor/actress.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Fat Lou posted:

That one is good, but this one is the best one. Like, holy poo poo. I have loved this shot ever since I first saw it. You have the reflection of the strip club lights in the form of a cross overlaid over a evangelical christian overlaid with storm clouds. SERIOUSLY, THAT poo poo IS AMAZING.

All I can see is a nerd getting blasted by lasers during a lightsaber fight.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

You watch Walking Dead? Ew.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Sweet poster though.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

Judging from the look on his face, Prime is hung like an elephant.

From a railcar-mounted industrial crane?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Transformers 4 IMAX poster

I hope this is the one where they finally reveal that Jason Voorhees is secretly a Decepticon.

(Or an Autobot???)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

This was the poster they were handing out in my theater (Calgary):

Apparently there was a tie-in graphic novel, which this art is from.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Same here. :argh: The original Joni Mitchell version isn't much better either. I usually love hippy songs, but not that one.

rawillkill posted:

I personally really like this poster

Mega size:

My eyes got bored and gave up half-way through so at first I read it as YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT TIL YOU GOT THIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

VagueRant posted:

EDIT: the source is http://beautifuldeath.com/ (definitely spoilers)

If you go to the site and click on each poster you get to see all the fan submissions.

You know you want to.