Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Squashy Nipples posted:

poo poo... Here I was, hoping that it was just the first two that I had met. :(
Such legs though, man.

It is. Aside from their hideously malformed and destroyed feet, if you dont get one thats too tall and too skinny you can find great looking ones. I am married to one who looks drat good naked, with amazing legs, great butt and a solid upper body. How I lucked into this I do not know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Roux-thickened sauces taste like flour if you don't cook them for 20 minutes.

20 minutes? 10-12 for a blonde roux, which doesnt taste like flour at all.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Sorry you don't know what flour tastes like I guess. Next time you make a roux-thickened sauce, pull some of it off after 10 minutes and the rest after 20-30 and compare them.

I guess not... I have always gone 12 minutes on the roux and then moved on with the sauce. Never had any complaints. I will try taking longer next time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

every time I read this thread title, I read it as 'new thread putrification time'

Taint chat.... Your version is more correct.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

SubG posted:

Yeah, I've used USAA for lots of other poo poo, just never for their mortgage services. I know from previous discussion that a surprisingly high number of the rest of the GWS inner cabal seems to be USAA members as well, so I figured I'd ask. One of the reasons being that I've had nothing but good experiences with them, but one of the stories that got mentioned in here was about someone getting grief for a car claim or something like that, so...just asking.

I used to work there. The banking side of things is fine, they are cmoparable to other lenders, although since its not a public company they can decide to be as safe or as risky as they want (protip: they play it pretty safe).

They pride themselves on being a great customer service company, but they are running on fumes right now. The old atmosphere there is gone and the its just "SELL SELL SELL, gently caress our members. Sell them poo poo." Its kind of sad. Its one of the reasons my brother and I left there. They brought in an outside Exec, Bob Davis, and he destroyed the companies culture. His follow up, Joe Robles, seems to think the same way Bob did. So dont be surprised if the service beigns to fall off in the next few years as they outsource drat near everything now.

But you should be just fine for a mortgage.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

doing my second-ever attempt at peking duck. did the whole 9 yards pricking and scalding the skin, hung it using a meathook (hilariously the first time I've really used my meathook for anything other than hanging bags of onions, despite owning it like 3 years), lacquered it with vinegary sugary glaze - and it's in the fridge drying the gently caress out.

hope this time turns out a bit better than my last attempt - last time was fine, but the skin wasn't very crispy, and it just tasted like roast duck - not like the divine poo poo that comes out of my favorite cantonese places.

if anyone has any cooking tips, now is the time to chime in.

Did you separate the skin from the meat? Normally they blow air inside to inflate it like a balloon, but you can kind of run your hands along the meat unde the rbeast like a turkey to get at least the crispy breast skin.

My buddy uses a motorcycle tire mini travel compressor, they are like 40-50 bucks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I can't speak for restaurants, as I've not really worked outside of the hotel environment. But most people that work for hotels are lifers. They're there for the guaranteed raises, and benefits. Our waiters have been here 10+ years. Hell, our busser is salary capped at $20/hr, AND he gets tipped out by the waiters at the end of the day.

So yeah, restaurants are totally different and I'm really dumb, I'm just relating my experience to the situation.

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say you should tip better.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Kale is good but chard is the tits.

Everything is better if it uses chard instead.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp. A coworker asked what I was eating and after I told her it was an Iranian dish, she asked in all seriousness why I was eating "terrorist food" and walked off.

:negative:

I want me some loving terrorist food. I might have to run down to Kohinoor for late lunch today. Mmmmmm...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Steve Yun posted:

This might be right up your alley

https://www.facebook.com/WeWantPlates

That's pretty funny.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Then the plate looks crowded. I don't want it to look like I shoved everything on the plate.

Everyone who hates not circle plates please don't come to my place. I have triangle plates because I was on a budget and that poo poo was on massive sale (because no one wants them!) which worked out perfectly for me. I think I paid like. 62 cents each for 10 inch triangle plates.

Don't judge me!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

62 cents for plates?! I hate you so much right now. I have these circular plates that have an acute triangular rim, with one corner being lifted a bit. They look nice in my restaurant. They're $26 each. You suck sir.

Your plates are probably much nicer than mine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Xoidanor posted:

Eagerly awaiting someone to do the wild boar version of this dish.

I could possibly do a venison version this fall....but I'm going to need a way bigger plate.

I wonder if doing it with a suckling pig as a special would freak enough people the gently caress out would be worth it. Serve it on a trash can lid to piss off the no plate people as well.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Casu Marzu posted:

And that is a good opinion

Heathens!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, I wouldn't want to eat that every day, but it's kind of fun to have a silly meal now and again.

I thought it all looked like fun to eat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Speaking of mid-tier restaurants, is there some kind of weird trend with not giving people water by default anymore? Its driving me crazy the amount of places I'm going where apparently that's just not a thing they do.

Water conservation, yo. Also they don't waste a glass on you if you don't ask for the water.

Drink and Fight posted:

Campari is loving awful however.

This is wrong. Campari is good in wonderful drinks like a boulevardier or negroni!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Drink and Fight posted:

Campari is vile and awful and literally the worst thing I've ever drunk. You Campari-likers are insane.

I mean I'm not down to just chug it straight but it's an excellent flavoring agent for cocktails. (Fernet Branca is my amaro of choice for chugging)

Or just shove it into a mix of fresh squeezed OJ and some soda water.

loving brilliant!

I mean I understand that some people won't ever like it. It's bitter as gently caress and too much of it can be overpowering if you don't like it. I actually like it though so I'm good to go.

I have other things to be ashamed of not liking. Like squash. I hate loving squash. It has to be prepared by myself to my exact texture specifications for me to enoy it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Drink and Fight posted:

Nah I've had negronis and I've had it just in oj but that awful bitter aftertaste is detectable no matter what you try to cover it with. A negroni with aperol is delicious though.

And for the record I mostly drink bourbon. And I love broccoli and sprouts and other "bitter" veggies.

Bourbon is my joint. I'm a Bulleit rye and Eagle Rare fan. But I also stock Basil Hayden's, Blantons and my go to mixer The Old Overholt (which is the loving tits) at my house.

Have you ventured into barrel aged rums? There are some fantastic 16+ year rums out there for dirt cheap.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Manjula is a straight badass.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scientastic posted:

I contend that white asparagus is inferior to green asparagus in every respect.

I concur.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I will wage the crusade for the glory of Campari and the great book of negroni and boulevardier until the good drink calls me to its side for everlasting glory.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Chumps. We in the Seguin Steer Queers got our Bandido approval so now we can wear our bottom rocker.

We are 1% for real now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Bought a lamb neck tonight and now it's braising away in the tagine with dates and other delicious stuff.

I'm happy. Good Memorial Day.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

serious kitchen remodel would involve: a fridge that takes sheet pans on a rack, a 24in flat top, 4 burners, a combi oven, a 1500W microwave, 2 deeeeeeeeeeep sinks, and a commercial dishwasher. and a deep freezer with racks on a roller system.

Uhh.. Triple sink, best sink.

Also seconding my next house will have a loving floor drain and that white indestructible plastic poo poo on the walls.

Also no cabinets. Just steel tables with wire racks. Kitchens don't need to be loving pretty. They need to be able to be hosed down with a god drat pressure washer and not care.

Edit: also where in your plan does the deep fryer go?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bartolimu posted:

With the exception of pr0k's, mothers do eventually wear out. You should be able to get a few batches out of it before that happens, though.

Ahh a well placed pr0ks mom joke, it has been a while since one came off that well.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

SubG posted:

Yeah, that's a basket. And my point is that you're not getting anything out of putting produce in it over just stacking it or some poo poo, apart from presentation. Which I don't particularly care about. What I want is something that works more like those stackable plastic storage bins, only wire or something like that. Or I don't know what the gently caress. I mean I garden and I subscribe to a CSA thing and all that so I probably have somewhat more produce lying around on a regular basis than average, but it still seems like there ought to be better countertop options than the usual holds-a-couple-oranges-and-an-apple things.

Corner shelving unit!

http://www.amazon.com/ORE-International-NS2-32-3-Shelf-Bathroom/dp/B00A34GP0C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FVQNQDBQBNCXQDS1QRG

This one has adjustable heights for things. Yeah it's for the shower normally but who the gently caress is going to know that? We are putting a larger one in our kitchen in an unused corner for storage of poo poo I don't want on my counter all the time like the kitchenaid and various appliances.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

SubG posted:

That product page is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. There's exactly two sizes of the thing, and they don't stack or anything. I mean I'm not saying they're bad or anything. But I open my pantry and I've got modular shelving and cambros in a bunch of different sizes that neatly tetris together. I go out to my garage and I've got modular draws and cabinets and a loving pegboard where I've got a half dozen different kinds of hooks and attachments and so on for all shapes and sizes of poo poo, from tiny rear end wrenches to bigass k-body clamps, and I've got random shelves hooked up to the same system. But for some reason for my kitchen counter---where space is way the gently caress more at a premium than just about anywhere else in the house---I've only got things that feel like half-assed kludges.

It's not a big deal or anything. But every once in awhile you see something that, if you're looking for something like it, you know right loving then that that's the thing you're looking for. And I'm just sorta fishing for something like that for countertop produce storage.

Dude I linked you adjustable corner shelves. They rock.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Phummus posted:

Dear LJ,

In a lot of ways, this is a difficult post to make, but why the hell not. As of this morning, for the first time in approximately 10 years, I no longer fit the medical criteria for obesity. Since Jan of 2014 I've been on a path to being healthy. While I still have a ways to go, I'm 80% to my goal, and have crossed the threshold from 'obese' to simply 'overweight'. I still need to drop 20 or so more pounds to be at the lightest adult weight I've seen, but this time I'm not doing any fad nonsense. Eat right, exercise a ton. No big secret.

</livejournal>

drat good job dude! I took a weight loss short cut by accidentally getting appendicitis and not really eating for 3 weeks. And for some reason I never eat when I'm in the kitchen, I just nibble on everything.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What the gently caress... Wheez was my Seahawks TFF buddy. What the loving gently caress.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Squashy Nipples posted:

I just had some loving amazing raspberries. The cherries are fantastic right now, too. Make something with cherries.

Pickled cherries with confit pork belly is pretty loving good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

The internet is a strange thing. I've known most of y'all longer than I've known most people that are actively still in my life :kimchi:

When are we going out for beer and how close are you to Torrance?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

not very, I'm in Moreno Valley. I'm down to beer tho

Jesus. Isn't it hot out there?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

hella. cheap rent though

edit: wait, didn't you come from texas? I remember having a discussion with you in IRC about whose AC bill was higher, lol

Yeah that's what I couldn't imagine living in SoCal in a hot area.

And yeah my highest AC bill was 350 bucks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

al-azad posted:

God invented casserole for a reason.

You know speaking of casseroles zucchini goes great with mint. Never knew that. I leaned something.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

not very, I'm in Moreno Valley. I'm down to beer tho

We can beer in Long Beach. There is a decent place on 2nd. But really the Torenace breweries are tearing it up.

Or I can go closer out there... I can brave the heat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sweat poteto posted:

Olive oil & rosemary ice cream very good. Up there with habanero & strawberry.

Any other recommendations?

I like olive oil and black pepper.

There was a place back in San Antonio that did thyme, honey and lavender. Also very good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I got the entire command staff one of the
ships here at fleet week drunk as gently caress. If the captain acts ridiculous on camera tomorrow at 6am you can thank me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

bleh, 2nd rental in a row now where we've been nice and settled and then the landlord calls and wants to sell our house. On the one hand, it's kind of nice, my commute is an hour right now and it'd be great to cut that down. OTOH, we haven't really been all that frugal since I got an adultjob so we don't really have much of a downpayment saved. Two landlords wanting to sell is leaving a really bad taste and we kinda just want to buy this time. Esp because both of us are in more long term positions. So now I guess we have to figure out where between Pomona and Loma Linda is a nice area to live that isn't going to be crimeland (San Bernardino, Colton, Fontana) and isn't going to be a ton of money (Rancho Cucamonga, Claremont, Chino Hills).

sigh tldr adulting is giving me anxiety

current landlord did say she would be willing to sell to us, but our current house has had so many plumbing problems and gently caress my current commute

Corona?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

it's an option, that commute would suck for the wife (Loma Linda) though.

If the commutes going to suck go ahead and move to the South Bay where the weather is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

FirstAidKite posted:

Ew

I don't know anything about unflavored, unsweetened yogurt, I don't even know what it's generally used for, but a soggy, greasy, tall multi-egg sandwich that drips sauces everywhere just does not sound good, especially with sauerkraut (tho that's more because I just don't like sauerkraut).

Just regular plain yogurt is good.

That sandwich on the other hand is not good.