Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Darkest Auer posted:

Unless you go to a hospital that specifically caters to foreigners they will just tell you to get out, doesn't matter if you're dying or not. You might have a chance to get some treatment if you have a Chinese friend with you, but then again, if you go to Number 888 Nongmin Hospital the doctor will say that diabetes doesn't exist, you just need to get your qi in order and give you a huge bag of random medicine, some of which might contain actual medicine instead of asbestos and tiger penis.

I've heard this but it cant be always true.

I get a prescription that's totally not for some life or death thing and not too common. I just go to the bigger hospital in this city, I showed them my bottle from America at the front desk, said "I need this" and they filled it without asking me questions or actually talking to a doctor about it. Now I go back every few weeks with the old box, ask for more and they do it. Maybe if I said I actually needed an appointment with a doctor I would have been turned away but "please give me this drug I already take it" isn't always a problem and doesn't need more than very basic Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Fojar38 posted:

Not sure what it has to do with the topic at hand though.
Really?

Hey I was wondering, in somewhat recent history what are some tragedies committed by Chinese people against non-Chinese people? Off the top of my head all I can think of is the February 28th incident, but I don't know how many people killed in that were Taiwanese natives. Tibetans and Uighers are the obvious ones but they would be "Chinese".

Maybe there aren't any, but I have a feeling there are. I'm wondering cuz I was told some "white people are essentially violent towards others, also other kinds of Asians are essentially violent towards others, but Chinese aren't." stuff.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Redmark posted:

I mean a quote like that isn't exactly hard to counter so I don't think it matters? Not sure what you're really looking for.

China has objectively started fewer wars than US and Russia but obviously that can't be boiled down to just "peaceful". If you're just looking for aggression there's the Sino-Indian and Sino-Vietnamese wars I guess.

I'm not trying to counter it, the actual conversation wasn't worth my time. I was just thinking about it. The argument assumes essential characteristics to races, and was that all races besides Han Chinese naturally commit atrocities towards other races. And the evidence is "look at all the atrocities this people have committed, and this people, etc. But Han Chinese would never do that to non-Chinese people." The person who said it was very fuzzy about what it means to be Chinese. I thought "Is their evidence even really close to right?" because of 228.

I wasn't really considering wars, tbh. Wars are too defensible.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

R. Guyovich posted:

neither you nor that other guy know who my "immediate peers" are and are just making wild assumptions based on what i've said here. i repeat: gently caress off.

Yeah but, come on, come on man.

Maybe you have the worlds most honest and educated buddies but odds are they're all bullshit, right? I don't think you're wrong about the social credit stuff but I think it's funny how you're like "Yeah I asked my buddies it's nbd."

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

oh ok

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

There's an aging painting of that dude painted by some opium addict up in someone's attic.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

R. Guyovich posted:

and you are doing the exact disingenuous reading of my posts you claim i do with others.

The way you act like such a stereotype, what else do you expect people to do? How do you want to be read, I'm really not following.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I dont get it so is the social credit stuff not real, actually a good thing, the same as America, or are we moving on to hot water?

It's kind of hard following all these hot takes.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The thing that gets me about the social credit score

When they made the choose your own adventure one it just felt like a pain in the rear end every time I had to choose, I just wanted to sit back and relax. And I forgot I had subtitles set to Chinese, and that made all the choices Chinese. They give you so little time to choose it was just all stressful. So I didn't finish it, all that videogame poo poo was boring.

But that one where that girl is in a village and everyones trying to kill her and shes trying to escape but in the end you find out everyone is an actor and it's like an amusement park thing to torture her every day because she murdered some girl. But they make her have amnesia every day, that was good. poo poo, that's spooky.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Telsa Cola posted:

I will die on the hill of that quote not applying well if you try to break things down or use it as a blanket statement.

For instance, do you consider the traditional methods of applying willow bark as a pain reliever alternative medicine or medicine?

Thats not to say that the method of action described is either nonexistent or complete bullshit, but there is a poo poo ton of things out there that get discounted as TCM or other traditional medicines despite the plant or whatever having well documented chemical effects. Willow bark, ephedra s, etc etc.

Its actually a huge issue in several anthropology fields.

Isn't that literally a case of the quote in action though? It's a traditional medicine, it works, so it becomes medicine. Now you buy it at walgreens.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Telsa Cola posted:

So you agree that some parts of TCM, such as the traditional usage of the sweet worm plant, are actual medicine then. We are on the same page then.

This isn't really a point in favor of TCM or alternative medicine in general though. The plant is effective medicine for a reason that has nothing to do with its TCMness (I'm making that a word it's what works here.) There is a framework and theory to TCM, and it's probably not real. If a plant that it used in TCM does work to treat something it isn't because of TCM, it would have worked just the same in Ayurveda or if given by a chiropractor. It's a less extreme way of saying homeopathy can treat dehydration and so that is support of homeopathy as a theory.

Ritual is extremely important though for people's mental health I see where you're coming from there, but I'm not sure that fact supports the conclusion you're trying to make. Or at least I don't see how it does.

Telsa Cola posted:

Edit: I strongly encourage people who have access to scientific journals to actually read up on this, there is a large body of literature that focuses on Native American traditional healing methods, how they perceive health and well being, and how the medical community could better their patient care and service to these communities if they at least understood these communities concerns. This type of stuff ties into why the medical community by and large sucks at dealing with any communities who are not educated white people.

You can cite some of it I read this kind of thing sometimes, but you cant really expect everyone to just go looking for it. Anthropology isn't a small field that's an easy Sunday reading.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Trammel posted:

It sounds like the "God of the gaps" argument.

Imagine we spend the time and resources to examine every traditional medicine practise and substance, extracting out all the scientifically reproducible findings, refining the beneficial parts down to exact dosages, and incorporating it in to standard medicine worldwide.

What's left?

It's not, and hes not exactly wrong but it sounds like you're talking past each other or not having the same kind of conversation.

Traditional medicines and rituals do not cure any cancer. But, people from different cultures can show psychological symptoms differently. This is on a more fundamental level than "I believe in this God so I believe if I feel stressed I think praying will make me feel better" but more like Japanese people regardless of belief or education showing more physical symptoms of anxiety than Americans, something more resembling a physical illness even though it's not. That was just the example a professor I had would use, there's more to it.

And so kind of in the same way people from different cultures might respond in unexpected but important ways to things that might otherwise be nonsense. Doesn't mean they work to treat illness, or that they're actual medicine, but they can still be important since "wellbeing" and "physical health" are not always very different, and it's fundamental enough to their culture that it's not just that they gotta get educated.

But there's definitely a line between "traditional cultural practice" and "snake oil." I don't know exactly where to draw the line but I think TCM has really crossed over into snake oil a long time ago. TCM actively harms people, TCM prevents people from getting actual real treatment, and in 2019 I don't think there are many people who get anything of value from the ritual part of it (since you're just getting it from a doctor anyway and Chinese people do use real medicine for the same things.) Except maybe acupuncture, that cup thing, and uhhh, hot water?

Maybe a better example is holy water to Catholics, holy water is free (anyone selling it is definitely selling snake oil. You're not supposed to, it's available to anyone for free.) It's a ritual behavior Catholics use that helps their wellbeing in a way real medicines can't and aren't even trying to, and Catholics are not (usually) against actual real life medicine anyway.

I think this is what hes getting at, but maybe not understanding what TCM is and what its role/marketing is in China now.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It's much more complicated than that, being anxious at the doctor is going to look different depending on the person's cultural background. White Americans aren't some neutral blank slate either, they have their own baggage influencing how they present disorders and what they respond to. The whole "panic attacks feel like a heart attack and so people go to the hospital thinking they're having a heart attack" thing isn't universal.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261757858_Cross-Cultural_Aspects_of_Anxiety_Disorders

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022395618303789?via%3Dihub

But I'm not gonna argue against medical doctors showing more compassion and care. In America minorities do get worse care. When we're talking about TCM in China though the doctors giving out the western medicine are the same or not very different from the doctors giving out TCM. And, even in countries where the group with the traditional practice is a minority, the solution is mostly increasing awareness of the patient's culture and using their cultures values as a part of the treatment. This is a pretty specific paper but I think of a lot of it fits other situations too.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4589258/

I'm looking at this as a psychological issue. Because I think that's what culturally sensitive treatment is and also that's all I really know about, I don't know too much about anthropology (which is why I asked the guy for some stuff to read.) I still think actual medicine is the only thing that's gonna treat cancer and that there's a whole lot of snake oil out there. But I don't think all traditional medical treatments are either real medicine or snake oil.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I don't know if my reading was right, but when I read "liberals" here, in these conversations, I'm not reading it as "the center left people in America" but "pro-capitalists, not leftists." But maybe people aren't using it that way and I just hang out with too many way left people.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Mantis42 posted:

I've heard they even snatch Uyghur babies from incubators and toss them on the ground.

God wouldn't you feel lovely if they actually are? lol

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah I had a case of that fever that gives you really lovely opinions last week, too. It's really going around this year.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If China was, would they be?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

whatever7 posted:

Guy could vwey well be dead tomorrow. I am just leaving your quote here justifying killing someone, in the worst way possible. And you are too dense to know what's the issue. Are HK radical all this dense?

I defended the police who shot the 2 guys who tried to take his gun too. Would you burn me if I argue with you face to face?

You were literally wishing violence on the people of Hong Kong what, a couple months ago? Like, everyone called you out on it, you kept at it.

Of all the people to say that, you're the last one who it would make any sense coming from.

I don't even think it's ok to torch the guy. But when it's the side you don't like to suddenly change everything you believe is such bullshit.

You know you're completely full of poo poo, right tino?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

It's the usual framing you get from the west where the enemy is both inscrutably too strong and too weak at the same time.

Do you have any thoughts on similar narratives made by Chinese media/education?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Despera posted:

"Why wont you spend more time and effort debating flat earthers?" isnt a take that will save you from your lack of a spine.

The flat earthers here are more like the ancient internet just trolling flat earthers, except less funny. Flat earthers actually (I guess?) believe something and are consistent in it. It's really obvious if you've read this thread for a while that half the people you could call genocide deniers don't have any real belief they're debating besides picking a specific side. There are real issues worth talking about with media narratives that come up a lot that, instead of getting argued, just get ignored when it's inconvenient. People yelling "manufactured consent!" because they read the wiki on Chomsky or something then posting articles doing the same thing from their "side" that are even more obviously pushing a narrative.

Flat earthers went from trolling to crazies buying into it. Sucks that SA is playing a part in the same thing with something that matters a lot.

We're supposed to argue in good faith, this isn't good faith. There's so much of it it's just driving sane people away from the thread, Ardennes and other mods don't seem to care about that, I guess? Like look at what just happened, argue in bad faith all you want as long as it's not a "hot take" that gets too meta.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

LimburgLimbo posted:

I was reading through it, and it cites US reports and various Falun Gong websites and not much else from what I saw.

I've only looked through the citations so I cant say it's a good article or not but, really? Both of those exist as citations but I'm looking at it right now and aren't the majority.

It doesn't make any sense to lie about something we're all looking at, I have no idea how you're missing what's there.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

stephenthinkpad posted:

To be fair 2 of them dropped (dead?) inside the hospital.

Edit: ok this is the most Annihilation inspired image yet
https://mobile.twitter.com/ezrandez...-quarantined%2F

There are a lot of rumors going around that aren't accurate, last I heard about this specific video from someone in Wuhan, it's not Wuhan.

I guess maybe that could be the rumor and it really is Wuhan. But, I'd be suspicious. It seems to go with that other fake message that was going around telling people the air force was gonna spray down the city.

I don't even know if you can disinfect a city for a virus like that. Wouldn't any disinfectant that would kill a virus also really gently caress up people if it was just blasted over everything in the air? I could be wrong there, though.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I dont think theres any way to democratically pick a good IK at this point because the genocide deniers have ran off anyone who even gives a poo poo about the topic.

Whatever, gently caress it, nuke the whole thread I dont even care.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

this thread, like the venezuela thread is a needed item. No discussions is worse than allowing deniers to speak their mind. I am not a denier, but I understand the need to allow opposing voices to be heard.

I dont give a poo poo either. If they weren''t so god drat hypocritical, let the deniers exist. But the people that post obviously don't believe in anything because the standards they use for saying one thing in the thread they completely ignore when saying another thing.

Is it so much to ask for real leftist discussion about states crafting narratives to convince people of whatever? This is about to be my meltdown, I swear to loving christ why does no one care about this?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The striking thing about that, outside the politics of the situation, is that it took him about a month to die.

We haven't seen that many deaths (taking the official numbers at face value, which I don't) but we haven't seen that many recoveries either. Not much time has passed yet since it started really spreading.

Could be that it kills the olds quick, kills everyone else slowly.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

it was probably just a bat dude

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Randomly demanding which Chinese philosopher is the best (Mo btw) .

I'm just scrolling through I got too much poo poo going on right now for an effortpost but, wtf?

Not even close guy didn't even fly around on a magic cloud

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Just stop doing separatist things like having a beard.*

lol you are insane

* Literally one of the many reasons for getting disappeared

*Stops drinking and smoking, wakes up handcuffed to a bed with a loudspeaker blasting something about east Turkistan*

this is ok

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

unbutthurtable posted:

who here speaks any kind of chinese language or has lived in china

Do you need something or is it just a kinda general question to get a feel of the thread?

I studied Chinese for a year at big local state university that I've probably already given away in other posts, and I've been living in China since then.

I think stephenthinkpad is a native speaker. There are probably a few others I cant remember.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 10, 2020

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

For what record?

I guess apparently the dudes a perv, according to someone on twitter or something. But I'm not sure where the line is for doxing and stuff, or where something should stick to pms with mods, etc.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Oracle posted:

it was basically generic Velveeta.

There’s a reason poor people holidays prominently feature Mac and cheese.

lactose intolerance says ‘lol no’

Many cheeses are naturally low in lactose and absolutely fine for lactose intolerant people. The cheeses that went into government cheese were, I'm pretty sure, low lactose cheeses (cheddar was the main cheese I think, and cheddar is super low in lactose.)

And modern velveeta is a ways off from the old government cheese. But 80s velveeta was pretty close. Modern velveeta isn't even really cheese. Still loving delicious though.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think it's something like when reagan pretended to be a cowboy but just the reverse

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Mantis42 posted:

I'm sure it's the media that makes the average Chinese person like the CPC, not the fact that their parents and grandparents lived in unbelievable poverty and they live in a life of material security that wasn't thinkable even during their childhood. If only they didn't read People's World, they wouldn't know to like the organization that literally built their entire village new homes last year.

Honestly, I don't really think so I don't know too many people who really know all that much or give a poo poo about that. Like people know it in a vague sense, but it's like the history version of 'eat your vegetables there's starving kids out there.'

I don't really even know too many old people who like to talk about it.

But the media and the political education? poo poo that has big, big influence on what younger people think and say about their country.

That and when old people do talk about it it's usually not a perspective that lines up with the one you get in political education classes or from the media, and I hear the latter a lot more from younger people than the former. 'I had to eat bird poo poo during both Henan famines' doesn't make for a good CCTV story.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 2, 2021

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Benagain posted:

wait these forums are blocked on the mainland right? don't we have forum rules against people breaking laws? we need to immediately ban anyone who says they're posting from China.

It's not, but since it uses some google stuff it can be slow to load if you're not using something to block google domains.

Privacy badger does it pretty easily.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Owlspiracy posted:

not worth it

I feel like this is really the conclusion most people on SA have come to, lol. You do not even say a word about Xinjiang unless you're ready to have a dozen really angry, really strongly opinionated people assume a whole lot and just blow the gently caress up on you. It's like, you could go to stormfront and argue against nazis or whatever, and you'd be right, but is it worth it?

But since this seems to be the conversation we're having in every single China thread these days, what's the deal with the leaked Chinese documents that were released a while back about procedure in Xinjiang with the camps and all that? I mean, no one seems to reference them, but I read what was available a while ago and the big take away I got from them is;

The camps exist
They are not prisons according to the party, therefore the people in them are not criminals/haven't necessarily broken any laws
Their detention is of an unspecified length, the conditions of their release are unclear
They're, obviously, all Uighurs.

And, yeah I'm not going to bend over backwards to defend that. If the Japanese internment camps in America in WWII were morally indefensible concentration camps (they were) then, well, this is too, right?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It's a kinda messy dorky sentence but it makes sense. It's not some unparsable mystery.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Stringent posted:

I guess if your assumptions are in line enough with the author that may be so, but to me it was pure nonsense.

Uhhh, no I don't think so

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

fart simpson posted:

i was counted in the latest chinese census. they came by my place last fall after work and asked me to fill out some basic demographic info and then came back a week later and asked me to confirm again that it was all correct. hope this helps

I just had to do mine over the phone, the lady was actually really friendly it was kinda nice.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Varinn posted:

I feel like you really missed the second wave of reporting on the "social credit" system. It's not real, and where it is real its basically the same poo poo as our very lovely credit system, or whatever awful services landlords have you register for you.

Saying that its good that other countries can't get access to technologies because it would disrupt the Utopian Peace brought on by america, and referencing an anime to make your point is batshit, dude.

What? They literally yell about it every time you get on the train.

You can just like... look up your social credit score.

Edit: They were just going on about it the other day here when they were making everyone get a COVID test. Going down every hall saying you need to take it immediately or it will negatively impact your social credit score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

https://www.metro.us/didi-and-jd-com-workers/

Seems relevant, DiDi and JD, two of the largest e-commerce companies in China are forming worker unions. There is still a question of how effective unions are in China, but that may change in the future as well.

Awesome

quote:

Didi’s union, announced on an internal forum last month, will be initially managed by employees at its Beijing headquarters and will be guided by the government-backed All China Federation of Trade Unions (ACTFU)

Well :/ so much for that