Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Final Blog Entry posted:

How long do you all feel is ok to store crowlers in the fridge? I had never heard of Barriehaus until they were recently mentioned in here, I'm going to be over by them today or tomorrow so I figure I'll do a curbside order for the weekend and maybe a bit beyond. I just don't want to end up with more than I can drink while it's still good.

I feel comfortable having a crowler way longer than a growler, 3 weeks to maybe a month tops is where I'm willing to go

I've been to bottle shares where people opened them at 6 to 8 weeks and they were fine, but very much ymmv :iiam:

https://thetakeout.com/how-long-do-growlers-and-crowlers-stay-fresh-beer-1829868109

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

Yeah theyre fine for a couple weeks as long as the place filling them isn't completely incompetent

Also see the labels on The Answer's crowlers lol

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Jealous of that Maltika and Maibock

Sounds like those styles will be fine for a while in a crowlers

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Scarf posted:

It's my favorite time of year... Tis the season for German beers!

If you've got access to a CostCo, be on the look out: Ours had 24-bottle cases of Hacker-Pschorr's Oktoberfest Marzen for $25.

Aw I usually see Paulaner at mine, will double check this weekend

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

like almost every new brewery that's popped up in Houston over the past decade or so, they certainly had some growing pains.

Have generally liked most of what I've tried from Eureka South, and hearing some good things about New Magnolia who is also in that neighborhood and it will be nice for Houston to have a good lager focused brewery

Sigma is the only brewery where I've been so put off after taking a sip of a beer, to the point where I closed my tab, then discreetly walked into the bathroom to dump my beer and leave.

Also totally unimpressed with places like Ingenious, B52, and Urban South (who I believe was opened by former B52 staff) that are just cranking out bad haze and fermented fruit juice

air-
Sep 24, 2007

That also sounds like Deep Ellum, Four Corners, Karbach, Buffalo Bayou - all places who focus on selling out/being acquired and fast expansion over making quality beer

Texas also has Altstadt which is a passion project coming from old money media tycoons and they have this brand new, very nice brewery in Fredericksburg. I got the wrong first impression from them, but they're cranking out lots of kickass German beers and they're high on my to visit list since it's not a long drive away from me... hell I might even do it this weekend. Their alt is the best I've had outside of Germany.

air- fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 11, 2020

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Same with Kirin (and therefore New Belgium)

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/sep/10/amnesty-investigation-links-brewer-kirin-to-myanmar-military-crimes

air-
Sep 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

This is one of those things where I wonder how much of it is the beer changing (different quality in scaling up? lower quality ingredients?), how much of it is me changing (changing palate, preferences, also just getting old), and how much is the industry changing (baseline idea of a style or substyle shifting as other styles/substyles take prominence).

I really don't think in 2012 I would confuse a Stone IPA and Heady. Today, maybe I would because of any or all of those reasons.

Had fresh cans of Heady and Focal back in August and I think they're more bitter compared to the typical modern hazy, which to me isn't a negative... and they def get props for not having biley hop burn (unlike the bad modern hazy beers, aka just about all of em)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

nullfunction posted:

Might have to go get one to include in the box for the BIF. It can't be any worse than their flaming hot cheetos sour, right?

Right?

I sent out the pickle beer last year, gotta pass the torch :hai:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Looks like these are my local choices:

Alpha King
Barbarian Haze
Gumballhead
Lazer Snake
Permanent Funeral (100 IBU, 10.5%) :wow:
Zombie Dust

Zombie Dust and Gumballhead straight from the source are great when fresh :cheerdoge: tbh I'm not too familiar with them outside of those two classic flagships and Dark Lord

air-
Sep 24, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

We should really get a Chicagoon share together once that’s a thing again.

Its been way too long since I've been to Chicago :hai:

Sent first tracking number to my bif... still have some other releases I'm waiting on and my fridge is too full, figured might as well split up the shipments

air-
Sep 24, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Next up, Lift Bridge’s Commander.

A very thick BBA barleywine brewed with cardamom. At 12.5 percent, a sipper. My girlfriend loved this! The cardamom is very subtle and counters the sweetness of the bourbon barrel nicely.

gently caress yes, Commander is such an underrated BA barleywine :vince:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Box just landed from internet celebrity and there's so much variety in styles/abv! Very excited about the BA barleywines :shittypop:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Any recommendations on stoppers to keep large format 750mL beers after you open them? I've got a bunch of The Bruery beer that is too strong to easily drink in a single day, let alone a single sitting, and with a pandemic on, it's not a good time to try and invite friends over.

I found a few champagne stoppers on Amazon, but it's hard to tell if they're really the right product for the job, or of they'll work on low-carbonation stouts or imperials.

If I'm not drinking a 750ml in one sitting, I will pour the remaining beer into one of my 500ml growlers and try to finish the rest within a few hours later - though I've never tried keeping it overnight since I know I'll drainpour flat beer

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

New tech idea: a really lovely paintball gun. It emits CO2 at a low pressure and you can use it to purge growlers/bottles at home.

Hmm Macgyver a soda stream???

air-
Sep 24, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

I just bought a LUKR czech side pull beer faucet. Completely unnecessary but I don't care.

Slow pour pics please :stwoon:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

highme posted:

I’m in Denver for the week, any newer breweries (~ 5 years) I should check out? Currently have some Bierstadt, Odd 13, and La Cumbre (from ABQ) in the parents’ fridge. The big rear end liquor store by them doesn’t have any Our Mutual Friend apparently.

Black Project should be newer? Not sure but throwing it out there since I know my first time trying their beer was in the last 3 or 4 years

Have heard Baere (located across the street to TRVE which is OG almost coming up to 10 yrs now), Ratio (a block away from OMF), and Cerebral via word of mouth

air- fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 6, 2021

air-
Sep 24, 2007

highme posted:

We've gone out to dinner twice once Sushi Den and once to new(ish?)

Excuse the derail - how was that? Was always curious about them and seeing you went twice must mean something good!

I have another buddy heading to Denver over memorial day and he was asking about recs, but I remember really liking Izakaya Den... just that I haven't been there in over a decade

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

That was me. It was my reaction when Sirotan responded to you saying that beer is not pokemon. I just had to create the avatar then. My photoshop skills are nonexistent so I reached out to SA Mart.

Amazing :allears: it might have been on the trading thread?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Philly: Not Tired Hands - https://www.brewbound.com/news/tidal-wave-of-sexual-harassment-allegations-and-toxicity-in-craft-beer-industry-lead-to-terminations/

Human Robot: the haze should be avoided and it's all loving disgusting, but the lager/pils kicks rear end... even recently saw they installed a Czech side pour tap :allears:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Going on a road trip next week, looking for food and brewery recommendations for:

Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, Lexington. We'll be in Chicago 3 days, everything else just one day.

Midtown Detroit has locations of Jolly Pumpkin and Hopcat about a block apart from each other. The shawarma at Bucharest Grill is one of my all time favorite foods and I have dreams about their garlic sauce. Also liked basically every Detroit style pizza place I've tried - been to Jet's, Niki's, and Buddy's.

danbanana posted:

Keeping Together

Finally got to have a bottle share and opened Thoughts Without a Thinker, what a phenomenal saison :allears:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAJYmq0pQhj/?hl=en

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Hub Dirt posted:

Any other recommendations for Fall time backyard sippers that aren't one of the 400+ Octoberfests? My heart broke when Victory stopped brewing Moonglow and now it looks like Bell's Best Brown is gone as well. Celebration is like the only beer I get to look forward to now.
v Sorry, South East Pa.

See if any of your local spots are doing fresh/wet hop ipas

air-
Sep 24, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like Other Half but I haven't had much besides their collaboration beers lately because I've been taking a bit of a break from NEIPAs.

Anyone have any Marzen recommendations? I kinda skipped out on Oktoberfest entirely but now I'm starting to regret it. Think I'm gonna go pick up some 'wurst and pretzel buns.

Location?

Out of the wide distro ones can't go wrong with the German marzen/festbiers like Hacker-Pschorr, Ayinger, Weihenstephan

National US distro: SN, Bells, Sam Adams

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Had a Live Oak hefeweizen this week and it probably is the best Hefeweizen in the country.

:bisonyes:

gently caress I'm gonna miss live oak so much

air-
Sep 24, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

I'm headed to Austin Tx next week for the Formula 1 race and I haven't been there in about 6 years. What's new or what's worth going to these days? This does not have to be confined to just breweries. Places with great food, atmosphere, outdoor space, etc are also ideal.

I'm staying in on the east side of Austin, near 12th and Comal but really any locations is fine. We have a rental or can uber.

I left Austin this summer, though hey you're in my old neighborhood and there's a ton of stuff in the east side within walking distance or a quick drive.

Few key things to note about every Austin brewery (well, for the very good ones)
Outdoor space is a given - just about all of them do this right
Expect at least a top notch, if not world class lager/pilsner. Try as much as you can.
Depending on your timing, vast majority of breweries are closed on Mondays.

--

Gonna put beer in two tiers:

Must stop destination worthy:
Live Oak: The ideal first stop after picking up your rental car and they're the brewery I miss most, would even argue they are the best brewery in TX. Get the pilz, hef, oktoberfest or Primus (whatever seasonal), the smoked beers, and enjoy hanging out along the flight path.

Oddwood: Likely the closest brewery to where you are staying and it would be a great second stop if you were to start at Live Oak then continue down Airport blvd. Expect tart/funky saisons here and of course their pils/lagers are fire. Free play old school arcade games and a Dreamcast if you're into that.

ABGB: Some of the best lagers in the world are made here. Excellent for live music if there happens to be someone playing too!

Hold Out: Another essential stop and they were my favorite spot to have food at a brewery. Their lager program is comparable to Live Oak/St. Elmo/ABGB. Many breweries will only have a food truck while Hold Out has a full on restaurant with a chef/kitchen staff.

St. Elmo: Can't leave Austin without trying Carl kolsch. Former Austin Beerworks brewers left to open St. Elmo and have become a local powerhouse brewery. Any lagers/pilsners here are gonna be awesome. Crosby is a top tier fresh hop strata ipa which should be in season right now. Spicy Boys is an awesome chicken/sorta Asian fusiony truck (get the roti and curry). Also check out the Still distillery if you want cocktails just a short walk away!

Meanwhile: Very huge and gorgeous outdoor space. You can tell a ton of money went into this facility. They brought in former brewers from Breakside and it is clearly meant to be a destination brewery for everyone, from beer nerds to casual beer drinkers. Noteworthy since they have two year round flagship beers that are old school west coast ipa's (one they call SD style and one Pacific NW style) and they also occasionally brew English styles which is super rare these days. Multiple food trucks including Distant Relatives which is one of the best bbq trucks in TX. I always tried to go on off hours and avoided weekends since it is the most family friendly brewery in the area (the outdoor space is so huge where they even have a playground and a football/soccer pitch)

Pinthouse (especially the Ben White location): These guys are basically printing money off Electric Jellyfish, which is the top selling beer in Austin. Opened a super nice new facility. Known for hazy ipa's and barrel aged/adjuncty stouts. Its fresh hop season and I bet they still have the fresh hop Green Battles, its one of the best ipas made in TX.

Jester King: At this point it's purely for the location tbh and I hate to say the beer has gone heavily downhill since Averie left. Realistically I doubt a tourist coming for F1 would have time for a visit here since it's a big distance/time commitment

--

Very good beer and worth the stop, if you find the time:
Zilker: my old neighborhood hangout, just check the taplist first and see if its up your alley.
Austin Beerworks
Draught House

--

Non beer things:
Sour Duck Market is very closeby, was my neighborhood bakery which I regularly hit up.

Not a coffee person, though coffee nerd friends love Figure 8, Try Hard, and Fleet in the neighborhood

Cuantos Tacos: taco truck in the neighborhood which I hit up very frequently. Do not miss their saturday only al pastor special and make sure to order a side of beans too

Granny's Tacos was my go-to for breakfast tacos and unlike most places where you'd want to have two tacos, one taco here will be extremely huge

Do not sleep on the food court at the Mueller HEB which is a huge grocery near where you're staying. Can easily get good bbq, katsu chicken curry, chicken biscuits and so much more

Bird Bird Biscuit: speaking of chicken biscuits, this is also super close to you

You're probably not gonna get anywhere near Tiki Tatsuya during F1 weekend, would be great if you can make it work though I think your odds are not very favorable.

Micklethwait is world class bbq right by where you're staying. They are particularly known for awesome sides and bread made in house. Should easily be doable if you show up right when they open.

Get a kolache at Kerlin bbq's trailer.

Nickel City is a faux dive bar with a pretty good tiki program, def worth a stop as well.

Avoid Easy Tiger no matter what anyone tells you - they went super corporate and it's basically aimed for tourists who don't know any better

air- fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 11, 2022

air-
Sep 24, 2007

obi_ant posted:

You still in Texas?

Moved to NYC and loving not having a car anymore!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

fuckpot posted:

I'm heading to Germany and Prague this October for what is essentially a food and beer drinking tour. I'm heading after Ocktoberfest as I'm not a big fan of the hustle and bustle and just want to stroll around at my own pace. Excitement about the trip has overcome me like I'm a little kid so I'm youtubing and googling like crazy. I'm pretty sure I'll have all the obvious beers and locations covered. Just wondering if there's any less obvious places or beers it'd be a travesty to miss out on that may not come up in my searches. I've got three nights in Munich and Prague and am also visiting Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Berlin and Hamburg.

edit: oh and I like/am willing to try any beer if it has a solid rep. If I was to have a preference it would be towards lagers and pilsners. But like I said, any beer any place.

Make time for this and please brag about it
http://www.unetickypivovar.cz/en

https://youtu.be/_qsMpypWlfA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

i'm still disappointed that the only decent and easy to find saison in my area is a $20/4pk saison dupont

Ran across Apex Predator recently and it was about similar price - would gladly pay that for Dupont