Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

LeafHouse posted:

It's fine by me! That'll put us around 12 people (assuming my goon friends who didn't sign up on the spreadsheet come) which seems like a pretty good number to me. My apartment isn't huge but can surely accommodate everyone. Seating is limited though so be prepared to stand haha. I think adding what you're bringing on the spreadsheet is a good idea. That way people can easily see what sorts of styles are represented and plan accordingly. I'd like it if people steered away from every day stuff and tried to bring something pretty special, not that it needs to be all walezbro or anything.

Is 12 people locked in stone? I originally did not put myself on the Excel because I expected to be out of town for work, but plans changed and I'd like come. I could maybe talk Shane to coming too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I just figured out that I work literally two blocks away from the Revolution Kedzie brewery. This is both good and bad for me/health/pocketbook. I did waltz in yesterday though and they still have a ton of Mean Gene and Straight Jacket.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I had a Brett pale ale at their brewery bar when I was visiting my family during Mardi Gras and it was downright fantastic. The low expectations for such a beer might have jaded it, but it was delicious. Their fruit sour was equally as good.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

NOLA is for sure the best brewery from that area that i've tried, so i know they make some good beer, but i had no idea they had any kind of a sour program. too bad i won't get to check it out this summer as the friends we used to visit there moved to Jacksonville, FL

True dat, when I walked in and saw it (amongst other weird things) I had to try it. Their IPA and red are above average, but nothing to write home about. They seem to be doing weird experimental stuff at the brewery itself though that is new and tasty. It really has a hard time convincing people though because of the standard, crap southern breweries out there.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

CHICAGOONS (or I guess anyone who wants to come in for it): A buddy of mine has an extra for the Saturday night FOBAB session. Any takers? Let me know ASAP.

Sent you a PM.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Millions posted:

I actually work at Sun King, hope you enjoyed!

I just moved to Louisville from Chicago and stopped at Sun King in Indy on the way down. I had never been before, and had wanted to try your stuff for a while. I was super disappointed though with the take away coolers - all the Osiris and IPA was well over a month old. Is this normal there? I'm not super picky about date (although 2 day old Anti Hero is amazing), but I was surprised something would be that old at the brewery.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Millions posted:

Yeah, on the sales team we're embarrassed by that too. We just reached statewide distribution a few months ago and have been prioritizing the freshest stuff going out to accounts. We're in the process of making some big production changes, so the cooler at the brewery should have fresher stuff once we work the kinks out. Sorry about that!

Makes sense, I can appreciate that logic - congrats on being able to distro that far now. I enjoyed the stuff I got so far, but look forward to trying some super fresh. If I wasn't driving I would have tried the taps.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Goose Island announces more BCBS infected. Refunds on prop and regular.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160715/BLOGS09/160719858/goose-island-recalls-two-more-stouts?utm&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

At this point, Rare has to be infected right?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Has anyone gone to the Shelton Brothers beer Festival before? I know it travels each year, but I wonder if it's worth the money or if it has just been a shitshow in the past.

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/festival/

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Merkin Muffley posted:

Anyone here going to be at the Shelton Bros festival tonight? If you see a skinny dude with a red beard wearing a grey/blue button up, come say hey! It might be me!

I was there and it was ok. I got to try everything I wanted to try, but the venue was a poo poo show in terms of how they set it up. I love copper and kings, but they had too many people in too small of a space. It's also pretty bush league when some breweries ran out literally within 10 minutes of the doors opening.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

air- posted:

Final bump :beerpal:

I'll go with 55

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Podima posted:

Oh hey I should have posted this awhile back, but my wife and I will be in Japan for the next week and a half. :toot: We'll be in Tokyo (Shinjuku/Shimbashi), Osaka, and Yokohama. I know there are a few people who head out that way frequently - any recommendations? We already plan to hit up all the Baird taprooms!

Popeye beer bar is the obvious choice. Yebisu has a cool museum, but it's a bit out there on the train. They do have beer jelly, which is one of the single oddest things I've ever eaten.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Compusaurus posted:

Beer always tastes better if it has a faint taste of plastic.

Bonus points if the baggy previously held graham crackers!

Home made randle.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I didn't realize how much New England IPAs were a thing now until yesterday.

Picked up the Rhinegeist/Pipeworks collaboration Astro Dwarf. I liked it a lot. It was the first NEIPA that I've had that was actually called a NEIPA, although "hazy, floral, juicy" IPAs have always been some of my favorites.

I had it recently. It's hazy, but I wouldn't call it emblematic of the style. It's much more a pipeworks IPA than anything else.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. First went to Hopleaf in 2009 and then returned in 2016 when some friends moved to Andersonville — wasn't quite as awesome anymore for those very reasons.

I love a good cb&j, but man do I hate they no longer have la chouffe on tap.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

In Chicago briefly on business. I lived here for 10 years, so have some favorites I already bought to bring home (driving), but there is a lot of random new poo poo on the shelves from the area. Any of these companies I should actually buy?

P.S. I can't believe Finchs is still in business.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

I generally stick to Rev, Half Acre, and Off Color because I'm that dude.

But I generally enjoy Maplewood's stuff, especially their pale ales. Marz does good things even though the price point is higher.

Are you in the city itself or burbs?

In the city itself, but I'll be driving around the city/south suburbs today. I hit up Half Acre and Revolution's breweries for stuff to take home already, since they were my favorites back when. Amazingly, Marz and Off Color actually distribute to where I live now (Louisville, KY).

I'll look at Maplewood. There is just so much "Chicago" poo poo and I haven't kept up with the trends.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

Actual beer talk: Anyone familiar with local options around Paducah, KY? Any KY breweries that distro that might be worthwhile?

I have no idea about that part of the state. Louisville has some decent options, Mile Wide is particularly good, and so is Gravely, but I have no idea if they distro that far west. Against the Grain is fine, but you can get that in Chicago. Country Boy has some surprisingly decent beers, including their sours. That said, decent beer is few and far between here in KY. We get a ton of distroed beers here from all over the US, but they rot on the shelves. It's definitely a whisky state, as Compusaurus joked. GOT ANY PAPPY??!?!?!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Compusaurus posted:

They still have (a lot) at the brewpub to go.

Rev also moved on to Crowlers from Growlers (at least at the brewpub) for whatever that's worth.

I also found a bunch in the north burbs this week. Lincolnwood or Skokie binnys had a ton of coffee eugene (and often have good stuff sitting on shelves).

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Merkin Muffley posted:

I'll also shamelessly plug my restaurant, Sartre OTR, here as well. We have a few really nice basque ciders in bottles available (which I think would be right up your alley, its all apples and funk) and the food is pretty ace as well. If you decide to come check it out let me know, i'll hook you up. Plus, after your nice fancy dinner you can head upstairs to the Rhinegeist taproom and crush some more ciders!

I'm going to have to check this out. I live in Louisville and go to Cincinnati a few times a year (last time was for the saints game). Looks nice!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

I finally ran across a four pack last weekend and I agree. The barrel isn't nearly as prominent this year. But also remember that last year had like 20% vsoj blended in so it was actually a different beer...

Also, as good as it is, its fame is based on being as available as it is for the quality. I'd never put it on the Great/King Henry level.

I got SJ last week at the Touhy/Lincoln binnys in lincolnwood. Definitely still easy to find in the near burbs.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I'm going to be in New Orleans for 3-4 days next month. I know that NOLA isn't really a big 'beer town' per se, but are there any bars/breweries/beers I should be on the lookout for?
We'll be staying at the edge of the quarter, probably won't have access to a car other than Uber.

I don't need to add anything to the details already provided, they are all solid for breweries and bars. I'll just throw this out there:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/entertainment_life/food_restaurants/article_e5dac42c-3baa-11e9-8901-f756dd0388e7.html

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

wait, oh my god. I kinda brushed over the previous posts about them because it was like a world salad of beer bullshit...but I just actually heard about the megaman glassware place and their resale prices. That is loving bananas and what the gently caress is wrong with people (repeat for almost everything in the US right now)? I can't even believe that poo poo and I'm the rear end in a top hat that just got back from Seattle and domed endless Holy Mountain, Freemont, Floodland, etc tapes.

Dutch Tulips

I read some articles and their facebook - that poo poo is bananas.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

technically, we're only shipping in VA and DC, but i've been making exceptions for my internet and irl beernerd friends. we set up two online stores- one for pickup and delivery, which has everything we have in stock, and one for shipping, where we wisely limited the options to certain amounts of bottles and cans. if someone were to use the former, throw in a big enough tip to cover shipping, and leave a note to pass the order along to me, i would be happy to accommodate. i wish we had more lagers in cans, but the Italian pilsner hasn't passed the forced diacetyl test yet, so that's like a month away.

oh, getting even more hype for MXICN LAGER- which we're brewing in the next few weeks- since Mike from DSSOLVR is designing the label for us.

Very cool.

I've been drinking too much Mile Wide here in Louisville. They seem to have definitely sped up their releases with more variety/less of each beer made. They are probably our best local brewery, but they can't make anything dark (except an amazing coffee porter) to save their lives.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Need some help beer goons. Anyone seen 2018 Bigfoot on their shelves nearby? I'd gladly pay for it, shipping, and your troubles to complete this vertical. No idea how I missed it .

https://imgur.com/a/NePctHv

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 5, 2020

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Gonna be in Omaha, NE for a week. Any beer goons know of any brewery worth checking out while here?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Athletic Free Wave is one of the best NA beers I've ever had. It's only 70 cals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Athletic Light is 25 cals and not bad at all.

Hopefully getting bought out by a megacorp won’t gently caress em up because I love their stuff.

Did they buy all of it? I thought Keurig was just a minority stake.

Either way - I do like Athletic but wish they were cheaper. $11/sixer for NA beer is a bit brutal.