Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

skoolmunkee posted:

That sometimes happened to me and I believe it was because the game couldn't connect to the EA servers or some nonsense. Even if you don't do multiplayer you should have 50% at least, but for some reason they decided that if you've not checked in you get zero. I don't even understand why they did that, it's so ridiculous that you can't even play single player without going through EA.

Anyway, try doing the usual. restarting the game and whatnot.

The simple explanation is they want to know what you are doing with the game and when and on what. The amount of data being mined by every company out there in the world is mind boggling. NPR was running a story this weekend how within the next five years companies that handle "big data" are going to become a vital part of every day business due to client companies having more data than they know what to do with.

HardDisk posted:

I just got ME2 and started a playthrough and :zaeed:, the FemShep is ugly compared to ME3's FemShep.

Is there anything to tick off when you are importing the save in ME3 to use at least the default ME3 FemShep face?

Also, I feel that the missions in general are better in ME2 than in ME3.

I wish you could use the ME3 Femshep face in the previous games. But from what I've read she's a unique texture or overlay that can't be duplicated. Instead you have to make close approximations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What is the Indoctrination Theory?

It's bullshit and is nothing but the fevered dream of fandom.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Named my useless quarians "Flotilla Thrilla" and "Geth Apoligist." My krogan battlemaster is "Urdnot Bubba."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I wish I could end lovely situations like a krogan would. You know, a headbutt and a thundering laugh.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

I liked the part where I shot things and used space magic on things. Sometimes I use space fire and then use space magic on that and it makes things explode, which was pretty great!

Also I hosed half the crew.

Only half? What is this the academy?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Speasking of femshep from ME3, can anyone explain why they went with a redhead. Didn't a blonde version win the fan vote leading up to the release?

Well there is also the issue of the game engine doing a really lovely job of making blonde hair. One of the writers even put it in the expanded canon that blonde hair had been disappearing from the gene pool to try to hand wave it. But we do get to see Kahlee Sanders who is blonde in ME3 during the Grissom mission.

Hah, get this poo poo from the in game codex.

quote:

Kahlee is of average height and build; her most notable feature is shoulder-length naturally blonde hair, which, as a genetically recessive trait, has become a rarity by the 22nd century.

"Our engine can't do it so now it's a rarity!"

I did vote for the blond originally because it looked interesting. But red head Femshep has been the default since the first game.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Liara explains in Mass Effect 1 that Asari are technically genderless. I had a whole paragraph in really carefully worded English, but I dropped my phone, and it doesn't really matter since Liara seems OK being addressed as 'she' so maybe she identifies as female and I'm actually being transphobic in labelling her as neutral :iiam:

What's really interesting is that there's a bit of fluff dialog (i think it's the stag party in the bar on Ilium) that implies that they only look like attractive humanoids to us - to Turians they look Turian, to Salarians they look Salarian and so on.

Yeah that was the writers taking a piss at the creepy fandom. Also Liara is identified as female because Asari started as blue space elf fan service. Plus in ME3 there were some pretty nice portrayals of LBGT characters made by the writers so in that facet it's fairly progressive.

But a Games thread about Mass Effect isn't the right place for this kind of wide discussion anyway so it would be better off in another thread or D&D before it bogs the thread down in SWJ shitposting.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

None of this matters anyway because female Shepard is canonical and public opinion can get hosed :colbert:

See? The Commissar knows what is up. Who are you all to defy the will of the Emperor?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Even though at their root the Asari are kind of a creepy, fan-servicey idea, over the course of the trilogy they manage to do some interesting things with them, and the Asari cast is actually pretty varied-- we meet Asari nerds, tough Asari cops, cutthroat Asari businesswomen, Asari diplomats, Asari soldiers, Asari knights errant and Asari serial killers-- and I feel like their inclusion in the game led to more female characters (and queer characters!) than we might have gotten anyway, but trying to pass them off as a representation of trans people because of a bunch of sciencey mumbo-jumbo that's basically just the technobabble explanation for how an all-female species might exist is giving them way too much credit.

Yes the writers that weren't up the Star Child's rear end made some good stuff with the Asari down the road, especially in Citadel or side quest areas.

Rincewind posted:

Mass Effect 3 there's a decent number of LGB (no T, though :smith:) characters

What do you mean no T? There are plenty of Turians. :v:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoy that Male and Female Shepard are equals, and for the most part not treated differently by any of the characters in the game (with some exceptions; romance options of course, and there's that merc recruiter in Omega that offers femshep a job as a stripper).

I've been thinking about that though; was Shepard actually written neutrally, or does female Shepard just kind of do manly things (right hook right hook right hook) while also being a woman?

Kibayasu posted:

There's a couple of minor differences I know of, outside of the romances that is, one of which isn't even Shepard herself talking. In ME2 when you go to rescue Garrus on Omega, the rear end in a top hat mercenary recruiter directs you toward where strippers sign up (despite the fact that Shepard is wearing full body armor and has a plethora of weapons strapped to her back). Then in ME3 Shepard has a small bit of unique dialogue with Eve. It's not great dialogue but, much like "FemShep," its a nice sentiment.

In this instance if you take the renegade option Shepard pulls out her pistol and says she bets hers is bigger than the merc's which makes him laugh and respect her more. :black101:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Agreed, he should've offered MaleShep a job as a stripper as well.

"Those assless chaps might really work for you, Commander."

"I should have left you with the nuke..."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

You don't really need to do a bunch in ME1 as a lot of the side quests that were going to matter ended up being forgotten. Plus if you miss anything you can fix the ME1 save in Gibbed before moving on to ME2.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm still pissed you never got to bring that up in your first meeting with the Council in 3.

:turianass: We are being annihilated by the Reapers on Palaven
:shepface: Ah yes, the "Reapers." I thought you had dismissed that claim? :yosbutt:

You actually can and the Turian Councilor calls you petty for saying that.

"Yeah dude I'm the petty one for reminding you that we could have saved billions of lives."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

reagan posted:

Nazara is from Legion's ME2 dialogue, anyway.

It could be easy for people to miss this because you usually need to do a mission to progress dialog and Legion shows up pretty late. If you GIBBED him in you get a lot more opportunity to speak with him.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Just a reminder to people who are new or old there is a goon irc channel for #masseffect on synirc.net. It's mostly goons bullshitting about whatever now but we still all play multiplayer and talk about krogan keggers.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Psion posted:

what up half-price buyer. :hfive:

all that's left is From Ashes but I have to admit to myself, what else am I gonna spend my ten Xbox dollars on ever? Probably nothing.

From Ashes gets you Javik. You need to experience Javik.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Psion posted:

Personally I would rank Kasumi above Arrival. It's a lot more fun, and Kasumi is cool in ME3. Arrival doesn't do poo poo except explain the transition into the first sixty, seventy seconds of ME3? big deal

In my cycle, half-price DLC was considered a delicacy.

Kasumi is awesome. She's the opposite of what you would have expected going in. And her squad ability is pure murder on mobs.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

They'd just turn this into Firefly: The Game, and the LAST thing Bioware writers need to be doing is giving themselves more excuses to ape Joss Whedon.

gently caress Joss Whedon in general.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Behold pure :effort: the likes of which should be shamed endlessly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrpV9rCxtZU

And behold :effort:'s "official" soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFNnxQPaXWc

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Draile posted:

I love Wrex in Citadel but someone seriously screwed up his power options. He doesn't feel like the Vanguard NPC at all. Stimpacks?

He isn't a vanguard though. In ME1 he had biotic barrier, warp, throw, and stasis along with fitness and weapon skills. That would have put him in line with what ME1 vanguards were but certainly not what they became. In Citadel his skill mix is closer to a sentinel.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

It was cool enough that they gave us a boss fight with charge but look how much it had to be scripted to keep things from going bad. Maybe in ME4 they can come up with a fix and throw more charging npcs in.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Kasumi owns and I think some people hate her because she wasn't some kawaii space ninja cliche. :colbert:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

JawKnee posted:

When I first played ME3 I thought they'd changed Wrex's VA and Mordins. Second/Third playthrough I decided Wrex's was the same, but Mordin's was different. Legions is so heavily changed I can't be sure, but they definitely changed either the tones the VA was allowed to speak with or whatever they used to change it because it flows much more smoothly. It's uncomfortable as hell given how ME3 treats the Geth.

The writer who was responsible for the Geth's who lore in ME2 wasn't on the writing team for ME3 hence the drastic change. As far as voices go Wrex is voiced by the same actor while Mordin's had different voice actors in ME2 and ME3. It's possible the guy doing Wrex's voice decided to change it up or couldn't hit that certain tone anymore.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Utritum posted:

Something along the lines of it was indeed considered, yes, but it never made it to the final version of the script:

That sounds dumb as poo poo. Then again the whole synthesis story and how hard they pushed it was dumb as poo poo as well.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

So today in #masseffect irc I discovered that I'm a bad person.

quote:

(11:35:00 AM) Trast: I never buy the hamster.
(11:35:06 AM) GenericOverusedName: you monster
(11:35:08 AM) FuzzyFreaks_: YOU MONSTER
(11:35:09 AM) Axe-man: you.. monster

The best part is in the time stamps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Yeah, Ashley always seemed to be really disconnected from the crew, also she was very annoying in me 3. I think that is why, because of course, she has to be conflicted that she was almost shot. When you know of course my paragon stowed his weapon after like 1 second. I didn't even think he was targeting her at all! I thought he was trying to get a udina shot. :v:

Ashley certainly was written badly as the series went on. In ME1 there were things to dislike about her but they were at least plausible as character traits. By ME3 you could wipe out an entire Cerberus hit squad and save a litter of kittens and she's still questioning which side you are on.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

It's possible they would make a FemShep movie. But it would be terrible.

That is mainly due to video gamers being terrible.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Last I heard Legendary Pictures owns the movie rights to Mass Effect. They have a reasonable track record for big bombastic movie concepts which Mass Effect would fall into. They might even be able to pull off a Femshep version depending on the casting. A male lead Shepard is much more likely though just given the nature of action films and gamers in general.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

sassassin posted:

You're supposed to resent his presence and hate that he's even considered on your level. It's really well worked, and a hundred times as effective as the bland reaper/cerberus "threats".

Did you write Kai Leng? Is this a Bioware parachute account? Kai Leng is a terrible villain unfit for even the shittiest anime.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Kai Leng? I mean, everything ever said about him is essentially true...but I just don't give a poo poo. He's not a good character, but he doesn't detract from my enjoyment of ME3 in the least. That said, I also enjoyed the ending to ME3, mostly. I'm in this weird camp where I see everything the internet says as true, it just doesn't stop me from enjoying stuff when I'm actually playing it.

Killing him is certainly rewarding. But not in the same way beating an actual, challenging villain would be. It's more like killing that one fly that keeps buzzing by your ear.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

I'm going to reserve judgement about the next Mass Effect game until more details and story/gameplay trailers come out. There's just not enough information to either get excited or to decide to pass for me yet.

Right now whether or not they are going to have an updated multiplayer on launch is going to make a big difference for me. ME3's multiplayer was tacked on from an abandoned stand alone online fps Bioware tried to make and it still turned out really fun. Then they did a full year of free updates where they put out a lot of cool weapons and classes.

But gently caress Collectors on London forever.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I never really got how come it's a bigger deal and a more crushing loss when Reapers invade Thessia than any of the other planets they've invaded throughout the game.

Thessia is a "big deal" because it begins the downward slide of plot devices and hocus pocus the main writer wanted which leads up to the end of the game. Also it is the planet of sexy blue space elf waifus so I'm sure the Bioware forums were devastated.

Now Tuchanka, that planet is where the party is at.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Look you all are being cranky and missing the true goal of this new game. To boldly explore a new galaxy and sexually harass new species for the sake of hilariously awkward cut scenes.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I don't get why you guys are upset about a Johnny Cash song in a teaser trailer. Some of his songs were straight up apocalyptic. This was probably just Bioware trying to conjure up an idea of the frontier without dipping deeply into the folk and early country music that would be more appropriate but considered un-hip for the E3 hipster techie crowd.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

So my prediction is that there are two main characters, a male and female. You can play and customize both.

Well maybe not prediction, but it'd be cool. Switch up between missions from being a vanguard to infiltrator, have one be paragon and the other renegade, etc.

Not sure I personally like the idea of having two main characters. Now being able to run missions major or minor as one of your squadmates would be a cool feature. How fun would it have been to play as Wrex?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't want the trilogy with just new graphics. I'd only replay it if they updated ME1 and 2 with 3's gameplay. And also if they put charge in ME as a power.

Charge already screwed things up in the ME 2/3 engine so I can't imagine what it would do to ME 1.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Geostomp posted:

So the story is that this apparently huge ship was launched before the end of ME3 to side step the RGB issue, isn't it?

I'm hoping they just ignore the RGB/Starchild all together. No one would complain about that hand wave.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Noirex posted:

I'm still so attached to my Fem Shep that just her voice makes me all :3: And that beautiful Vigil theme at the end got me all teary again.

Also, neckbeards are crying bitter tears and claiming that feminazis have taken over Bioware and ruined Mass Effect :supaburn: - http://miyku.tumblr.com/post/132742497777

Anything that makes neckbeards hyperventilate is okay with me.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Zoran posted:

No. That happened because lines were recorded before the ME2 team decided to go with 2 discs and segregated the recruitment missions.

Wasn't it less a decision and more that the Xbox needed two discs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I will be honest about my Andromeda expectations. If it turns out to recapture a lot of the magic the trilogy had when it did things right I will be very happy. But right now my big demand would be a fully realized multiplayer that built off the success of the ME3 MP which was mostly tacked on from a failed stand alone game.

All krogan MP rounds always left me in awe and laughing my rear end off.

• Locked thread