Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I wish I was working on something so I could post something awesome. But a combo of being too poor to buy supplies, finishing up my last semester of school, and the one con I go to being canceled this year, there is nothing on my plate. I'm itching to work on something though, so I've made a few sketches of a chainmail armor I want to make eventually, and of the judgement armor from WoW. I also really love this fan art, but so does everybody it seems.

Fan art

Chainmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Rocketwitch posted:

How many conventions do you visit in cosplay per year? And do you make more than one cosplay per year?
I'm really interessted in cosplay habits of others.

I've only been to BlizzCon, so one con and one costume per year for me. I've been wanting to get to ComicCon and/or AX but I always miss the tickets or am too busy in the summer to be able to go. Also, my last projects were quite large/expensive, and I didn't have the funds to go to more than one con. Hopefully that will change once I'm no longer a poor student.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

RazorBunny posted:

Does anybody know of a place that sells elf ear tips that aren't made of latex? I know they can be made from a lot of different materials, but the only ones I've seen for sale are latex. I have a latex allergy, and even the coolest costume isn't worth spending the next few days peeling off chunks of my ears.

If all else fails I guess I can try to mold my own with silicone or something.

This is just something I want to be able to keep in mind, the costume may never happen, but my friend and I are hoping that after we build my Joan of Arc and her husband's Commander Shepard, we can move on to other armors, and the Elven armor in LOTR is pretty darned cool.

A cosplay friend/acquaintance of mine makes elf ears out of leather. The only drawback (in my mind) is they are on a headband. I think she made a tutorial for them. If you like I can give you her info, or try to find that tut.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Pagan posted:

Has anyone here built armor, or used pepokura files to build armor using fiberglass?

I've made chainmail armor, but people don't usually refer to chainmail when they say armor, so I'm probably of no help.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

RazorBunny posted:

Related, I'm thinking about selling off some of my spandex suits.

If you decide to, I hope you post here. I may be interested depending on what you have.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

RazorBunny posted:

They were all made back when I was pretty skinny, but with the exception of my Catwoman suit they're all standard spandex and will accommodate a larger frame (within reason). I'm 5'6"-ish, and the suits are measured for 34A-26-36 or so.

Still not sure if I want to part with them. On the one hand, I don't think I'll ever wear any of them again, but at the same time it's hard to let them go.

I have a comics-style Catwoman (shiny black PVC) that will probably need new gloves, a plain white suit with a mock turtle neck and stirrup hands (from my Barbarella), a Speedy (Green Arrow's sidekick), a Sinestro Corps suit with metallic gold rather than yellow, and a plain black long-sleeved legless cotton-lycra leotard I wore as part of a Raven costume.

The Catwoman is bodysuit, gloves, and separate cowl. The Sinestro Corps is bodysuit, gauntlets, and arm band. The Speedy is bodysuit and a homemade cape. They were all made for me by Loreen of Spandexwear.com (who I 100% recommend for your super suit needs :))

I'm just an inch or two taller than you, but otherwise I have identical measurements to the ones you listed. I'd be interested in the cat woman suit and the black leo if you wanted to sell, but I also don't really have the money to buy anything until aug/sept so no worries if you decide not to.

I understand that feel about not wanting to part with stuff. I had to trash parts of an old costume when I moved and it was hard. I never even wore the part with the costume, but because of all the work I put into it, it was hard to see it go into the garbage.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Anyone else get hit by the giant FB cosplay page purge today? I am reconstructing the shattered pieces of my friends list and will probably spend the entire night tagging myself again :(

Is that what it was!? I guess I was too, then. =(

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

I'd personally probably do EVA foam (yoga mats, craft foam) before I did wonderflex, especially on a budget. Wonderflex works just fine but I didn't totally love it when I used it for my 40k outfit. I plan on using up what I have left from that project but I probably wouldn't buy more.

Why weren't you impressed? It looks like a pain to work with, but I'm thinking about getting some for my next project as I don't think EVA foam would be supportive enough for what I need.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I used Wonderflex recently too, it is unbelieeevably easy to work with

However, it's not super strong all by itself, plus if you leave it in the back of a hot car or in your garage (as I discovered:smith:) it will start to soften and deform.

McPantserton posted:

Having to ride to a convention with it in the trunk was really stressful, I kept worrying I'd get to the con and just have a pile of flattened plastic.

The easy to work with is reassuring, but the other statements are not.

Ashcans posted:

Could you use something to reinforce and set its shape? Like, I dunno, coat the backside/interior with fiberglass resin or something similar? That way you could get the benefit of the workability and then fix the shape when you were done.

I don't know about them, but the whole point of my choosing wonderflex was to avoid using fiberglass.

It looks like I may end up going with leather after all.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

StarCraft. I'm gonna be a lady Space Marine, bitches. :black101:

Awesome. I've been thinking about doing a D3 Wizard, but I'm not sure I'll have the funds for a costume this year. :(

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Nessa posted:

So I have a crafty question. I have a pair of sunglasses that I need to alter for my costume. I need to add some width to the arms so that I can paint little rainbows on the sides. What's a good way for me to do that? Currently, the arms are just wire.

I was looking for a pair of shades that I wouldn't have to alter, but it was hard enough to find the pair that I got. Big aviator frames are mostly what's in style now.

Paperclay would probably work for this. It's clay that's made out of paper pulp, like paper mache, but finer. It air dries, so you don't need to bake it like other clays. Once dry it can be sanded, sealed, and painted.

In other costume-related news, BlizzCon was announced today. Guess that means I need to decide soon if I'll go for the Wizard idea.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I've committed to doing a Wizard and I'm now at the point where I need to pick fabric. I've already ordered some swatches, but they haven't arrived yet. I'm really worried I'm going to pick the wrong thing and it'll look bad.

How do you all choose what type of fabric to use?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Suitability, accuracy, and interest.

These aren't hard and fast rules, but they're ones I absolutely live by and have worked wonderfully for me for the last ~25 years.

That's good to hear, as that's basically what I've been doing. Now I can't wait for my swatches to arrive! The down side of needing a particular shade of gold. Ah well.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
How do people weather fabric to make it look dirty and used without using dirt and messing up the piece? I also kind of like this look, are the black details drawn on with sharpie?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Squarely Circle posted:

Watered-down acrylic paint is great for this.

Xaerael posted:

There's dozens of ways.

Thanks for the help. I've got to alter the piece a bit first, but I think I'll be on the right track after that.

I finally found my camera charger, so hopefully I'll get some progress pictures up in this thread soon.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I'm almost done with the 'under layer' of my costume. I need to make sock garters (or find black socks with gold stripes), finish the boot cuffs, and weather the blue skirt (thanks for the ideas, folks). The boot cuffs in the picture were a test; I've remade them, but haven't attached or painted them yet. I've also made the brown leg harnesses, but I totally forgot to put them on.

Making the scrolls.

Testing how to make the design on the boots.

Gold and red fabric. Haven't decided on black fabric yet.

What I've got so far.

What I'm doing. (Or hoping I can pull off...)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Angstronaut posted:

This is pretty sweet concept art! D3, I assume?
Also for the boot details maybe you could try cutting out the pattern in gold lamé/vinyl and sew them on like in the last picture.

Yeah, it's from the art book.

Good idea. I wasn't sold on any of the results of my test.

Jehuti posted:

This is kind of weird question but how do you start to do cosplay? I've never really done a big art and craft thing before and I'm kinda of at a loss on where to begin. I'm thinking of doing Isaac from Dead Space. How do you guys figure out what you're going to need?

I make it up as I go along. Tutorials and forums are great for research, but there's nothing like just diving in. The only other advice I have is to break everything down layer by layer. Start with the base-most layer and work outward. Works for me, anyway.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I've used Kryolan aquacolor in the past. It's a solid that you use with water and paint it on. It's really easy to apply, they sell a fixing spray as well, and it all washes off with soap and water. I decided against Ben Nye because I didn't like the texture of the stuff I tried. It felt really greasy and sticky going on, and they didn't have the shade of purple that I wanted anyway.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Now my problem is, I've never made wings before. The real challenge, though, is how to attach them to myself without having huge, visible straps going over my shoulders or around my waist. Does anyone have any advice or experience they can share? All I will be wearing is a strapless bra to support them with, can something be created that could be held up by a bra or will I have to use clear straps? Would it be possible to only use one clear strap and have it hidden by her one shoulder drape thing?

I haven't made angel wings, but I've tried dragon wings twice. I still feel pretty inept at it, so take my advice with a grain of salt. My main issue was weight. The wings were too heavy for the harness I made because of the way I had to do the straps so the harness was hidden. It still looked fine, but it hurt to wear them all day. With feathers (or fabric feathers) weight is less of an issue, but because you have even less space to hide the set up than I did, you might run into the weight issue as well.

I think you're on the right track as far as those clear straps go. Bring an extra strap with you or rig two onto the same shoulder if you're worried about their load-baring capabilities. You could always alter the top a little and make it a corset or bustier type thing and rig the wings into that. It would probably be more sturdy. Otherwise, I'm not sure just a strapless bra would be enough. I'd add a clear strap on the other shoulder at the very least.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
After discovering that my gas stove can be used in place of a heat gun (which I don't own) I made some great progress over the weekend. Once I got used to cutting the thick foam mats everything came together pretty easily. The left shoulder will be the hardest part of the costume, so I'm leaving it for last.

I tried the watered down acrylic paint suggestion to weather the under skirt and it seems to have gone well but I want to do it more with some darker colors (or maybe less watered down) before I call it done. I also got fabric last week, and hope to do a mock up this weekend.

Socrates wants to know what's going on in here?

Just cutting a second, third, and fourth belt. Turns out four was the winner.

Next up: bracer pattern.

First go didn't work so well.

Second one went so well, I almost finished it.

Made more progress on the shoulder I started the week before. Teeth cut in and lower jaw made.

And the upper part attached. Needs detailing with thin foam still, and the skull needs more work.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
How do you all attach horns to things/foam? I've been looking around, and it seems like most people like velcro straps, but I failed to make a 'slot' for the strap to go through at the base of the horns, and I'm not sure how else to attach the velcro. I was going to cut a slot in the foam, jam the base of the horn in and use lots of hot glue, but I'm worried that won't work (be durable enough) and I'll have to remake the horns and the bracer. They're hollow, and they don't need to be removable, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I was supposed to go on a hiking trip this week, but I had to cancel it due to air quality (there's a bad forest fire nearby where I was going). I did not cancel my vacation time though, so I stayed home all week and worked on my costume. And got paid!

Did a make up test since I got my wig a while ago.

Last night I put everything on that I had. Only missing the top and the left shoulder. Still need to put finishing touches on everything, but it's all mostly made.

Framing up the left shoulder.

Closer shots of the belt and right shoulder.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
My brother no longer wants to attend so it turns out I've got a (1) BlizzCon ticket to sell. I'd like if it went to a fellow cosplayer, so I'm posting the offer in here. I'll still be attending so you can either come with me on Thursday when I pick up my badges, or Friday morning I can pass it off to you. If anyone is interested, PM me and we can work out the finer details.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Blizzcon is now over, so I figured I'd share my final costume since I did post some progress here. I don't bring a camera anymore (impossible to take pics while in costume yourself) so I'm still trying to find shots of myself. This is one of the better ones I've found so far, as it shows everything.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

LingcodKilla posted:

You need a pro shoot with that one.

I'm already talking to a photographer to do just that :)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Joann's. They sell them in basic rainbow colors and a few others, and I'm certain I've seen yellow before. Won't be high-quality or a perfect fit, but they have 'em.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Are you covering the whole thing in sculpey, or just that hilt area? Paperclay dries lighter than sculpey in my experience. Just a thought.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

What do you use to cut the foam? You have such clean lines, it looks great!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McKilligan posted:

You're looking at about 3 weeks, or at least 40 hours of work there. Truth be told I almost don't know what to do with most of my free time now.

I'll probably replace the belt, as I weakened one section of it a little too much by accident and don't want it breaking on me.

The above post reminded me I wanted to comment on this one as well. Did you end up doing anything with the belt where the rings attach? In the image it definitely looks like you need more rings attaching the mail to the belt. Those few rings may warp/bend/break open if all the stress of the mail is on those alone.

Not sure what to do with all your spare time huh? After my first project (for a cosplay as well) I took up mailing as a hooby. Now I mail more than I costume haha

dogstile posted:

How many rings, out of curiosity? I'm getting into chainmail like, tomorrow. I'm curious to how pissed off i'll be come september.

That will vary drastically based on what ring size you use.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Getting ready for BlizzCon! Is anyone else here going?

I was done with the dress a few weeks ago, but need to finalize a few things (new necklace, change bracers, underwear problems, another small pouch). Tried on my everyday boots with it, and decided they looked better than the shoes I had made for the costume, but that I needed a prop. So yesterday I sprayed some foam on a stick. We'll see how it turns out.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

my cat is norris posted:

Does it really look like that in the game? I thought there was...more to the skirt.

It's looking great, though! Good luck with the scythe!

No, I had to alter it. The goal was to use only material I had on hand, and I ran out of fabric. The only thing I bought were the chains for the skirt (and foam and stick for the scythe).

Thanks! I got it carved out yesterday and I'm paper mache-ing it today.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Silhouette posted:

Take a cue from WETA and make PVC chainmail.

http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-Chainmail/

There is also these if you don't want to mess with sawing pvc to make rings:
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=219&cat=Engineered+Plastic+Rings

They're paintable/dyeable, already smooth, and snap (or glue) together.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

10 Beers posted:

So, I have a question about something that was brought up earlier. Some cons don't allow guns of any kind? Even if it's a solid piece of plastic or wood?

Correct. Every con will have their own rules as to what kinds of props are allowed, as well as what kinds of materials those props are made from. Always check the dress code/costume rules before attending a con!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Chainmail pants should be attached to a sturdy belt. As to how to keep the weight down, it depends if you're set on using metal, in which case, use aluminum to save weight over steel, and if not you could use plastic rings.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

When are you going to make it to BlizzCon?

I'm in full swing working on my costume for this year. Decided to go for it, this fan art I've drooled over for years. Pant/ies are completely done, base for the top is done, sleeves are done (minus trim). Starting work on the armor and props now.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

Ugh I don't know, maybe next year? I want to go so bad, once Arthas is done I'd bring him and my StarCraft marine too if I could and it would be so great. I used to make fun of people who did 100% Blizzard stuff but it's looking like I'll be doing a Diablo outfit this winter too. IT'S ME, I'M THE ONE I MADE FUN OF.

What is that fanart from? It looks super familiar. I love that hourglass, a cosplayer I follow made one recently out of worbla and the cup parts of 2 plastic wineglasses and it looked so cool! The armor part is looking awesome so far, keep posting!

Hopefully next year you can get tickets. I'd love to meet you in person, you make awesome stuff.

The fan art was posted on the WoW site something like 5 years ago, and I've been in love with it ever since. I just got some plastic wine glasses today, actually. Gotta figure out how to use my fancy new dremel now :D

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

We finally figured out properly gravity-defying attachments for the stupid huge shoulders that work really well, so that's awesome!

Tell me your secrets!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Thank you! You never really get to see the underside of other people's costumes that much, and it really helps me see things I didn't think of before.

My problem is I have no breast plate to attach the shoulders to. Right now I'm leaning toward balancing them against each other and put them on over my head, but I have yet to mess around with it. Working on the staff right now.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

TwystNeko posted:

The method I can afford is mod podge. It works, but can be finicky, and sometimes it doesn't coat well enough.

In this case, it didn't quite coat the area enough, and I've got this happening:
https://goo.gl/photos/oQWeqbK4WJ57ZnXE7

How many coats did you use? I've never heard of using mod podge on pink foam, but I use it on EVA foam all the time. I do no less than 3 coats, so I'd image it takes a few more to do pink foam which is more porous than EVA. In your image it looks like those areas didn't get enough mod podge to become fully sealed, and so the paint soaked into the gaps and left that texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Blizzcon is around the corner, but I've been pretty bad at remembering to take progress pictures this year. Most of these parts I've worked on since, but I worked on the circlet today.

Circlet:

Boob swirls:

Chest Plate:

Skirt:

Staff:

Hourglass:

What I'm doing: