Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I'm catching up in the thread, but I just realized - after all the effort to add more/any female marines to the game, why is Bella referred to as Bella, when as far as I can tell every other CM is referred to by their surname?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Traveller posted:

So I'm gathering that what a lot of people want is a remake of the ZX Spectrum Alien game and I can't blame them.

I first played it (on the Spectrum, too) at my uncle's house during some weird family crisis in the 80s. We'd just arrived after a long car journey where my sister was sick multiple times and we had no idea what was going on, we were with my evil grandmother and my uncle had no idea what to do with us until I saw the Alien novelization on his bookshelf. I remember nothing else about the time I spent there other than that game, and the terrifying xeno graphic that would show up as I wandered around trying to find that blasted cat. I think I was about 9, and the Alien universe was the most familiar thing to me at that time and place. I love that game.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Deleuzionist posted:

Gorman of the year.

YAWAA (of the year)

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

ChickenHeart posted:

I especially enjoyed the part in the DLC campaign where Hicks and what's-his-face-colonist-dude somehow manage to drive an engineering skiff to Fury 161 with just enough time to be around to watch Ripley swan-dive into that vat of molten steel. It's made even better by the fact that the developers never got around to implementing complex facial animations for the characters so the dramatic shot of Hicks' head panning to follow Ripley's fall ends up looking like he's watching someone drop a pizza on the floor.

In somewhat-less lovely news, the entire soundtrack to the game got posted on Soundcloud. There were many, many things wrong with this game, but Kevin Riepl absolutely nailed the music. Without the game itself, you can actually notice the use of tracks from Aliens and Alien 3 throughout the entire thing.

I haven't seen it yet, but now I'm definitely going to make sure I see that DLC.

It was a lead works, not steel :spergin: - do they call it steel in the game?

blackguy32 posted:

Playing Aliens: Colonial Marines and seeing some of this new information makes me appreciate Alien 3 a lot more than I used to. And I liked Alien 3 quite a bit.

Holy hell, is a lot of this stuff fanfiction poo poo simply because they can't let certain characters go.

I really liked Alien 3. Hated the idea of it at the time because ALIENS and MARINES and FLAMETHROWER-TAPED-TO-RIFLE, but it might be my favorite Alien story.

Amanda Ripley is a terrible idea, especially as it's going to have to retcon her death somehow (I can't think of a way to get her in a room with an alien that isn't terrible, but however they do it W-Y will almost definitely end up murdering her with "cancer" to keep her quiet, right).

I know people were upset with the amount of Dead Folks We Loved in Alien 3, but come on, guys, surely it's time to stuff all those corpses back in their boxes; poo poo's stinking bad enough here without digging up another.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Aliens are carcinogenic.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

ClownSyndrome posted:

I imagine it's been mentioned in this thread at some point before, but the ZX Spectrum Alien game looked pretty interesting for the time

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-10-alien-retrospective

It basically tried to mirror the movie, but a random crew member would give birth to the Alien and another would be the Android, then you have to move the crew around to different rooms to gather items (including Jones) to defend yourself and to escape

The Spectrum game was awesome at the time. It did mean the first time I saw the movie I was horribly biased against Jonesey, though.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I care about what Ripley's daughter was doing if it turns out she was sneaking around inside a pretty and well-made alien game. If.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

MUFFlNS posted:

It's about time somebody merged Alien and Red Dwarf.

I think they did that a few times already

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Xenomrph posted:

I disagree, while he was morally unhinged I think he was very much mentally in control, and I think everything he said he saw while an Alien captive actually happened the way he saw it. He wasn't just torturing people just because it got him off, he was using really immoral methodology to recreate what he saw in the hopes of better controlling and understanding the Aliens.

I'm not so sure on his story being completely accurate - I guess it depends on whether you take the novel(la, really) as true or not - in it, Church thinks to himself (by way of the narration) that he has lied to Crespi and McGuinness after telling his story.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Alien: Goatsim would be a nice stopgap.

I think the scariest Alien games I have played were ones where you had other stuff to do, and usually died super fast if an alien saw you. The Spectrum game was great for that.

There was a game on either the Amstrad or Amiga I think, where you took control of the marines from Aliens and moved them around a ship, all in first person view with little monitor screens for each of the marines.

Sometimes you'd open a door and an alien would walk past - you might have had a short window of opportunity to try and kill it, but usually almost straight after seeing an alien, the screen for that marine would cut to static, which was great for horror-type jump scares.

I think the thing those games had going for them was they were relatively short, and the alien encounters were (or at least seemed to be) completely random - it was never predictable so you never felt safe moving to any room or opening any door. The Alien(s) games these days all seem to want to be the movies so badly that they sacrifice good gameplay in favor of the storytelling. Amnesia and its precursor did so well because they had a decent mechanic that worked well in context of the games - and ripping it off would be a good idea for sure.

An Alien 3 game built like a 3D tower defense would have been interesting, and I think that works within the setting of the movie. A Colonial Marines game where the gung-ho FPS game was turned into something else after discovering that the USCMs were absolutely vulnerable (and therefore totally hosed) would have been so much better than taking an Aliens story and slapping it on a generic FPS.

I think having the xenomorph in Isolation wandering around is something that could go horribly wrong - who needs Alien Fudd lightly creeping through the hallways going "Sshhh! I'm hunting Wipleys!" The scariest moments (to me) are in disturbing it - coming across the alien finishing someone off, spotting it uncoiling in the shadows, hearing something in the vents - and when it gets you it is fast and savage. Some of the videos for Isolation look like they have at least the potential to capture that kind of feeling, so I'm not writing it off yet.

There's one section in particular where the player looks through a window and is possibly spotted. She retreats and backs into a corner, then notices the xeno has moved, turns around and sees death hurrying toward her down the corridor she thought was a safe route out of there. She turns to run, but it's too late. If that is representative of the experience of playing the game, then gently caress me it's going to be awesome. If instead it is exactly what happens in the game, then it's going to get very old, very quickly.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Sentinel Red posted:

Okay, who remembers Manhunt?

I remember it. I'd never played a stealth game before and I couldn't get past the first lot of guys by the trucks :( I like the idea of using extra peripherals but there needs to be a real advantage to using them to make them part of the gameplay, or they just become a hindrance that gets tossed.

I'd like to play Isolation as the Xeno, too. It's a pretty environment they have there and it's be a shame to not stalk humans while trying to avoid drawing enough attention that you get blown out into space.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Well those first ones you linked are pre-orders, so...

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Any idea when the NECA Ripleys coming out, Xenomrph?

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
P sure he says that at the end of the bluray commentary -and man that commentary was a let-down. He mostly spends the whole time explaining the plot. Mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Palpek posted:

Anyways, is there some sort of director's cut of Prometheus that makes it better?

What you need is called "more booze." I got slowly drunk on a train after a job interview and watched Prometheus. It all made perfect sense to the point by the time I disembarked I was really looking forward to the sequel.

• Locked thread