Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
That's a brilliant free kick, I can't remember the last time I saw something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Any idea what channel these games are on in America, if any? I'd love to catch some of these matches on TV and maybe convince bartenders to put them on.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

Fox Deportes is the best channel for the US. Here's a list for all other countries.

Oh nice, I'll have to start tuning in. Thank you.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Great post Vinestalk. I think one of the best things about the Brazilian league is it's relative instability in terms of "big teams" compared to the European leagues. I remember not that long ago that Flamengo was close to being relegated, and if Im remembering right there was a time that Fluminense were in the third division. My wife's family are all Flamengo supporters so I shamelessly throw my plastic hat in for them.

Adriano was only recently released by Corinthians, mostly for being a fat piece of poo poo who didn't care. What a waste.

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but a lot of Milan speculators are thinking that Seedorf is going to go to Brazil next year. There were supposed negotiations going on with Botafogo, but that rumor's disappeared. It'd be cool to see him in a league that's so vastly different from the Italian Serie A.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The thing with Forlan is that he's overpriced for his age and he came off of a poo poo season with Inter. Inter isn't going to sell for much less than what they paid and Nobody in Europe will want to spend that much on someone who was poo poo (and injured and old) all season. A Brazilian side signing him would give him a chance to start over in a totally different league and playing style. I bet if he goes he'll score a shitload of goals.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Im glad Santiago Silva is getting a chance again. He really didn't fit in with Fiorentina's system at all. You can tell he missed playing in that video, even if it is in an insane way.

About Forlan, does he play as a sort-of-midfielder for Uruguay? He was definitely being deployed as a top line forward for Inter. Maybe that's why it wasn't working.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dias posted:

You don't know how much it warms my heart to read this.

So, anyway. If for some reason you don't wanna watch Libertadores matches, there's going to be a very, very boring game between Grêmio and Bahia for the Copa do Brasil quarterfinals - 9pm GMT -3:00. Grêmio is up 2x1 and plays this game home, so there shouldn't be many surprises, although my fuckin' team loves to break down in spectacular fashion, so who knows. If we go through, we play Palmeiras in the semifinals, facing Big Phil, one of the best coaches we've ever had. That would be a classic match, actually, since Grêmio and Palmeiras had some insane games in the 90s, like these Libertadores quarterfinals with Palmeiras almost making up a 5-0 deficit from the first game.

Does Kleber play at all for you guys? I remember he had a thing with Scolari at Palmeiras that made him get the hell out last year. I haven't heard a thing from him since, I basically forgot about him until you mentioned this match, looked it up and now he's on Gremio.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Caceres playing in a back three is weird - shouldn't be in the midfield on the wing? Seems like a waste.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dias posted:

Eh, I'm actually in favor of that. South America as a whole has spent way too long just giving away young prospects to Europe, keeping only the bad and/or old players on their leagues. At least cough up a LOT of cash if you want our really good players. Plus, it gives them more time to mature instead of going to Milan, getting caught in the nightlife and loving everything up.

Brazil just began playing the U.S. Mutant Ninja Turtles or whatever that silly acronym means. There's this kid that's playing for Inter right now, Oscar, which a lot of people think is one of our best young players and I...eh.

ninja edit: and Neymar just scored a penalty kick.

On the plus side the new Juan, who also plays for (the other) Inter, looked up for it. And Rafael was awesome.

Nice to see Pato playing for more than 4 minutes and scoring at that :unsmith:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Have any of you guys seen the documentary The Two Escobars? It's about Pablo and Andres and how the worlds of drug trafficking and Colombian football collided during the 80's and 90's. I really enjoyed it but Im wondering if there were things that went missing or were otherwise glossed over as it was presented to American audiences.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dias posted:

Also, Botafogo hiring Seedorf. That's also quite ridiculous.

Is this actually happening? I haven't read anything official yet.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

Yeah. Botafogo went all out for their website: http://www.botafogo.com.br/

Dias posted:

Yep. Confirmed by Botafogo a couple hours ago. It's gonna be great when Seedorf commits suicide after having all his good passes and plays wasted by Botafogo's stupid strikers.

Ah that's great, thanks.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Corinthians winning this trophy means that Milan still hold the title of "Club with the most trophies, including a bunch of poo poo and worthless ones" so that kind of makes me happy.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

tbp posted:

You mean international, right? Because Rangers or like, some Northern Irish team has a billion league titles

edit: I mean continental but I don't know if this makes any sense still

Im not even sure what it means, to be honest. Berlusconi came up with it a few seasons ago and it's plastered all over everything Milan puts out now.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Some things never change.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

hecko posted:

Ganso MIA like in most the time Santos plays against a good team. Neymar is so fast but gets outmuscled too often.

Kinda glad Milan didn't sign Ganso now. From what I've read he's been poo poo for months at this point.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

325 million and its still hosed; that's incredible. Is it down to cronyism and super low bid contracts and the usual poo poo or is it more sinister?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Some talk in the Brazilian media about possible harsh punishment against Corinthians, as apparently their supporters did something that caused the death of a 14 year old kid in Bolivia.

So that's how they're keeping Pato functional.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Corinthians game is interesting with no fans. All you can hear is the coaches yelling at the players.

http://www.rojadirecta.me/goto/maxdeportv-canal1.blogspot.com

Edit: Can't wait to see goal celebrations. :effort:

The leagues I follow are no strangers to empty stadiums or closed stadiums and I always find it interesting to hear the players shout at each other. It's especially good when they don't speak the same language.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

El Hefe posted:

Yeah and looks like I jinxed it because he was promptly subbed off, poor Pato he's just so broken.

He literally cannot last a full game, it's insane.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

He's been in every game so far in the Libertadores. Scored 3 goals now? He's been solid, and got the starting job from Emerson after the first or second game. We'll see if he's hurt or not.

Edit: I hear Corinthians fans! :dance:

Im happy he's scoring and playing but I feel like it's only a matter of time.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Drogadon posted:

hahaha that's just terrible, poor Pato

Looks like he took some tips from Robinho.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

surrender posted:

Seedorf with a wonder goal against Gremio today - he's still got it, but unfortunately he had to limp off before the end of the match. Also, they showed Renato Gaucho's daughter in the stands and uh wow

I'm on my phone but people should look this up. He beats two defenders and puts one right in the top corner. Lovely goal.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dinho :unsmith:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

surrender posted:

Is Dinho the first to win both the Champions and Libertadores? Good for him :unsmith:

Dida and Cafu have done it too. I don't know any others, though.

E: Tevez, duh.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Colombia have so many good players though. Do they have a poo poo coach that they win in spite of or something?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Jo: great brazilian striker or greatest brazilian striker?

I thought he was pretty decent last night? I mean the goal was a tap in but still. He created a lot of space for Neymar.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

professor muthafukkah posted:

So the Brasilerão just finished, and Fluminense managed to get relegated. This puts it amongst the few clubs that won their league one year and got relegated the following. Congrats.

Man that is incredible. I feel like this happens more often in South America since teams get torn apart by European clubs when they win anything and have to start over. So no Fla-Flu next year then.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

I guess not only the 90s, huh?

For those of you not following the Brazilian league: Fluminense is likely to avoid playing the second division due to extra-field maneuvers (the third time Flu would avoid serie B in about 17 years due to extra field crap). Why? Apparently Portuguesa, a tiny team from Sao Paulo, used a player that was suspended in their last match, which would make them lose just enough points to fall behind Flu. And the circumstances for that are shady as gently caress, for the surprise of no one:

- Heverton, Portuguesa's midfielder, went to judgement on friday. Portuguesa's lawyer claimed that he was suspended just for the one game that he had already served, so he played on sunday. On monday, Portuguesa got an official notification that Heverton had been suspended. The fact that portuguesa only got the official word after the game shouldn't matter, claims the representative for the Brazilian sports justice court (pre-judging the case before it even came up to him), because they had a lawyer present on friday (who, again, told portuguesa the punishment was only 1 game, already served, not 2). To make matters worse, Portuguesa's lawyer wasn't actually hired by Portuguesa, but appointed by CBF.

But I guess it is only a massive coincidence that it is Flu again that will likely avoid relegation based on that, huh?

This is shady as hell, are Portuguesa going to throw a fit like they should?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

So unrelated to the shady dealings of post-championship relegations, did Pato really win the equivalent of "biggest flop" of the year? I read on an Italian website that he won the Brazilian equivalent of the Bidone d'Oro.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Ronaldinho is staying with Atletico, Elano is going to Flamengo, and it is uncertain what is going to happen with Scocco and Forlan. Rumors are Forlan is going to Botafogo and Scocco is demanding a raise or more playing time. In extra field news, a district attorney for Sao Paulo state has sued to overturn the loss of points by Portuguesa, and unless something dramatic happens the likely result seems to be that they will have to change the formula for the Brazilian league.

So what happened to the Ronaldinho to Besiktas thing, was that a hoax?

Also I can't imagine the uproar when the league changes it's relegation/promotion formulas.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

In other news, Sao Paulo had a practice match against the USMNT and beat them 2-1, which wouldn't be remarkable if not for the fact that the US soccer federation tried to ban Sao Paulo from divulging the results (which came out anyways).

This rules, but surely both teams but out a second or third choice side.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Half of Cruzeiro got absolutely shamed by that second goal. Nice vision by the players to setup that final touch.

Also Defensor's stadium looks tiny.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

How often do Mexican teams get this far in the competition? I was surprised to see Santos Laguna and Leon in there.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

The best they've ever done was when Guadalajara reached the finals in 2010.

Magrov posted:

Chivas reached the semis in 2005, 2006 and the finals in 2010, America reached the semis in 2000, 2002 and 2008, and it's not really unusual for a mexican side to reach the quarter finals (tijuana did it last year).

Edit: oh, and Cruz Azul lost to boca in the finals in 2001.

Thanks guys. Seems I underestimated them.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

and once Elano got hurt there really wasn't anyone he could put in to try to create some offense.

But Mascherano plays for Argentina? :newlol:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Robinho back at Santos. It's like 2002 all over again.

is this confirmed

IS THIS CONFIRMED

PLEASE

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Portland Timbers vs Boca or River or Penarol or Flamengo or Fluminense or anyone oh god pleaaaaaaaase

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I imagine this competition is mostly a battle between Honduras and Costa Rica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Came here to post about Honduras - Belize, loving lol

Also I didn't put it together that they were playing this in the USA. Do they always do that? Seems like it would be less travel if you did it in the actual countries that are being represented.