Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FCKGW posted:

and violent crime has been dropping nationally every year since 1991. which is what he said.

Depends, some places like Baltimore and yes Detroit its been going up, up, up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Frogfingers posted:

Of course there's risk involved, Blade Runner was historically a bad bet from a business perspective. But it lives on beyond the red line in the accounts. Chasing that magic is just a cynical move that anybody should be able to see through by now.

This isn't something I'm even absolute about, I watch the Evil Dead series since its essentially the same thing, but I have to ask why are they putting this out now, unmotivated, after an eternity. The director is enough to make some hopeful, but after all the poo poo Hollywood is putting out breathlessly trying to keep their properties fresh, I'm certain this will be a Terminator Genesys more than a Terminator 2.

I suppose its a dumb ideal, but it already seems like it's heading in that direction. Hollywood, the established studios, are only making a handful of titanic films, and the tide recedes further before every wave crashes. I think the future would be in crowdfunding, or at least a more professional, or mixed version. Movies have run their course for cultural dominance, and you can see only more and more niche properties are being made. If people are putting up money in advance in numbers, you can use that as a straw poll for the kind of business it will do, whether broad, niche or just a handful of freaks who like this thing toomuch. Cinemas will definitely become hobby places, like bowling alleys and karaoke bars now that streaming services come into ubiquity. That leaves basically no room for money in distribution, other than residuals coming in from those streaming services. That's just the background of my hot take, apologies for this dumb derail.

Yeah, you need to see the Hitchcock interviews done by Truffaut. Being down on a movie because it exists to make money ignores the reasons why movies are here in the first place, and the space afforded by creators to make something and truly new.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB95KLmpLR4

Really, and every Fincher movie in perpetuity I guess.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 29, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is timely the word to use here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RzDilRIuw

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

If you haven't seen Prince Avalanche, he essentially is Jack Black in that. And it's terrific.

Hirsch has probably the best quality ratio for projects outside of Paul Rudd (coincedentally), and I don't know, Matthew Mcconaughey.

Which is still of course dwarfed by Daniel Day Lewis, but it's a lot easier for that to happen when you only made like five movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

Also those of you who haven't watched Hirsch & McConnaughey in Killer Joe should get on that stat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpvzmvFHTM

Fav movie of that year. And it was a great year for movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

I dunno about McConnaughey. He did some crap in the 00s. Solid since around 2010 though for sure.

Since the McConnaughey-saince, which started with Lincoln Lawyer, it's hard to find a bad movie in the bunch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Speaking of bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqi5AReIkcw If the girl isn't the only survivor I just don't know what to say.

I like it, it seems to be aware of how awful the male lead is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This movie looks so awful. :/

What the hell! This is so awesome, I love the premise.

Been alot of positive things coming out of this production. Not gonna see the trailer, wanna go in blind. When's it coming out?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

^^^^Now you've done it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjtdOqTmrA
This looks pretty good. Totally thought it was Tom Hardy in a zombie movie for a second though
The true story of Percy Fawcett, as directed by the dude who did We Own the Night. Never saw that

Why do people insist on trying to make Charlie Hunham a thing.

he's not, he's been an inscrutable blond man-slab since Undeclared.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pretty lame. You would think they would have good action in a kung fu show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

Goldie Hawn is very fake. That's not a face that has aged naturally.

She just looks like an old lady to me.

Horror of horrors, I know.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

f#a# posted:

Whatever you do, do not click the link to go through to the YouTube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzggK5DRBA

Uh I'm seeing scenes straight from the movie. That seems like a dumb way to adapt it.

edit; Liked what it was going for, felt like the ending dropped the ball (also plot).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Terrible dialogue, terrible kid from Gods of Egypt. Just gonna watch the battle scenes in youtube in a year I guess, like the last couple.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

The Deadpool ad before Logan was like a subtle "let me remind you who's really responsible for your Wolverine movie".

So is it a teaser before Logan or is it a mid credits teaser? Wondering if I should stick around after the movie like its a Marvel movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I actually laughed a couple of times, a good sign if a trailer can do that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Didn't this movie happen already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVOnByRE74Y

edit: I see I'm not the first one to notice, but I'm really just joking. Just cuz there's a couple of movies addressing a belief system believed by millions but relatively unknown by most Americans shouldn't be a cause for stifling them. I just hope that Pixar can actually tell a story that entirely works, instead of Del Toro's attempt which was good at parts, but he cannot handle emotional climaxes and coherent characters arc effectively since, I don't know, Pan's Labrynth? Or maybe Hellboy 2....

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 15, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rahonavis posted:

Wasn't the whole point of the original movie the fact that Draco is the last dragon?

I wish, that trailer was heinous. You can't even pretend to have prod values for 30 seconds? Or good acting?

e: The dragon looks like Puff

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

f#a# posted:

Better paced, plot-heavy trailer for Edgar Wright's Baby Driver. Looks like his most professional outing yet, I'm ecstatic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvJJnoWIPk

Jon Hamm as a bad guy heavy is my everything.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

That's the best trailer I've ever seen.

The reviews haven't been kind, so it might be the best version of it. Would love to see Theron go up against her former castmate Keanu sometime tho.

The best trailer of the moment though is that Thor one. It's the most rewatchable one I've seen since Fury Road.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FoneBone posted:

I wouldn't call them glowing, but what?

All you have to do is scroll down, the praise is mostly for Theron.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

porfiria posted:

I think they're just like 10 quadrant-y. They're hard enough action for teenagers but they're not so violent or sexy you can't take your family. The Rock has his own fanbase. There are some decent female roles and there's a lot of talk about familial responsibility and relationships. The cast is ethnically ambiguous and pretty brown but I don't think the movie reads as, like, "black" to foreign markets or anything (slash maybe Hollywood is wrong and the world just isn't that racist).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I saw Kingsman on a market research dealy screening last month. If I the first one was a 9.5/10. i'd give the second a solid 8.

The cut I saw had filler dialogue, missing scenes, and missing visual effects though. Excited to see it again in a few months and see how the final stages of production better it.

I found the first film mildly distasteful re its political slant. Is this one as reactionary as the first one?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Peanut President posted:

What are you talking about?

Do I really have to get into it? There was a level of nastiness, from the beginning scenes of gunning down and torturing Afghanis, to the celeberation of jingoistic and reactionary values, to the bad guys being effete liberals concerned about climate change, that reminded me of action movies I used to watch in the 80s, just way better shot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I would say that the establishing shot and narration: Of an old man holding a baby over a pit filled with children's skulls as the narration explains that the spartans dont accept physical imperfection or sicklyness; Is atleath some evidence of them being considered les then great by the film itself. All the rest of the film does use shot compsition to place them as the difiant righteous underdogs, but is still the biased re-telling of a spartan himself.

I guess the doubt would be: is knowlege of that bias enought to justify filming its subjects as good and grand ? Is it irresponsible of the film maker to not go further with the implications of what the spartans actually are?

300 is probably the most popular movie of the alt right. Racist doofuses are currently gathering in Berkely dressed up like actors in a Snyder movie as we type.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Missed this reply... and yes.

The booking on that show regularily suprises me. Must be crazy to book, but it does make the three person being interviewed dynamic at the same time fun. Wahlberg being drunk is good TV.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kinda lame that you have a movie set on an Indian reservation starring white people though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Why do the English feel the need to raise their voices like 2 octaves when putting on a fake American accent?

Except for Damian Lewis!

It's def a type of Southern thing where its so southern it sounds dandy-ish. Its pretty great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'm unfamiliar how DNA evolution works but maybe as an exercise someone should invent an alien without DNA or based on carbon.

I mean we already have organisms at the bottom of the ocean that are built on arsenic: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/02/AR2010120204183.html

ANd we've already built silicon based lifeforms: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/researchers-take-small-step-toward-silicon-based-life

THe universe is truly a crazy place, just look around here

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

anticake posted:

This was proved false by the way. Also wasn't the bottom of the ocean it was in a lake in Califonia. Also also wasn't arsenic based life it was still carbon based it just appeared that the organism had swapped phosphorus, an essential building block of life, with arsenic. It hadn't, though.

haha ok

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Trying to imagine how ill-fitting the music will be at the end of the trailer for To Kill a Mockingbird (2018) guest-starring Johnny Depp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bCLPwzSC0

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's especially crazy if you post popular science articles with misleading content without having a clue what you're talking about.

Yeah someone already owned me on that welcome to a couple of days ago.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol the comments (i know i know) consisting of sad losers saying the male lead is too ugly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Ryan Gosling ugly? first i've heard of it

Haha meant that movie by William H Macy and featuring Kate Upton. A bunch of internet nerds angry that she should could do better. And I have posted twice about it, a good use of time all around.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Spielberg sucks, his popcult event sucks, and it is now apparent why he was shilling for lovely motion-gaming tech some years ago. loving tourist.

????

Seriously no idea what you're trying to say here.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Super Fan posted:

The Shadow is one of the worst movies ever made

You're a barbarian

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still catching up with the thread so this is probs late but this is def the kind of schmaltz I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjanGQ0ip4

Like a weird sequel to Frances Ha, esp when Under Pressure starting playing

edit: Millers Crossing! Am I doing it right?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 28, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Reminds me of A Simple Plan, so right there that means I'm interested.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

International trailer for Thor: Ragnarok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_UdORKgx6Y

Dr. Strange is not English why? That accent is still dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Because the cool dudes who created him said he was an American living in Greenwich Village. Why they casted Benerdict and why his accent is iffy is another question.

IDK an English baritone intoning about the Eye of Agaroth sounds cool to me, like something you'd find on a Pink Floyd album.

Make him English!!!

#SpeakEnglish

wait

• Locked thread