Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Did :pgi: ever get DX11 support out for full release yet? If not (of course not), when? :haw:
They claim DX11 is done, but they won't release it until after UI 2.0 is done, much like every other feature they have promised.

In GPU news, there was an Anandtech article a few days ago about the AMD Kaveri APU's documentation showing that AMD was considering a GDDR5 option. Given that the PS4 uses GDDR5 memory, and AMD is experimenting with it in their PC APUs, could we see laptops with dual DDR3/GDDR5 memory in the future? Would it even be worth it for a low end gaming solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The best part is that if you search "valve" in Google, that site is the top result. Top tier right there.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This fun little article came out a few days ago:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/08/directx-12-tested-an-early-win-for-amd-and-disappointment-for-nvidia/1/

DX12 made an AMD Radeon R9 290x perform just as well as an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti. Is this just a limitation with NVIDIA's hardware or are they just doing something like translating DX12 calls into DX11? I guess this finally shows just how terrible AMD's DX11 drivers are.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Has anybody been able to fix issues with a stuck P2 P-State in a GeForce GTX 970? I have an MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G and I know somebody with an MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 100ME and both cards have the same issue where the P-State gets stuck and the core clock drops to sub 1000 MHz speeds.

The only way I've discovered to temporarily "fix" the issue is the disable/enable the driver in Device Manager.

I discovered my card had this problem when I ran the Steam VR test and it came back as "Capable". Once I fix it and it goes into the P0 state, I get full clocks and get a "Ready" status.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

and the 970 isn't a subpar experience with the Rift, I'm thinking it would be better to go that route and save the $300 in the near term.

Oculus Home should only sell games that work on a GTX 970. That is the baseline spec for the Rift and they won't sell anything that won't run on it. Just buy the GTX 970 if you want to play VR games on the Rift.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hamburger Test posted:

I think that's the issue I have been having, for a very long time - certainly before W10. It doesn't happen all the time, but once it starts happening a settings change that makes the driver reload or a reboot is the only thing that will make it go back to normal.

Do you have an MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming card? It sounds a lot like an issue that myself and others have experienced with that card where it gets stuck progressively downclocking itself until you restart the driver or reboot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
For anybody who owns an NVIDIA card and are planning to get the Windows 10 Creators Update in two days, I would HIGHLY suggest you do not install the 381.65 drivers, especially if you have a laptop. Myself and many others are finding that the 381.65 drivers in the latest Windows 10 update causes BSOD boot loops. You have to system restore yourself back to an older version of the driver. Apparently 381.65 breaks a bunch of things.

Make sure you are on an earlier version before you update and make sure you make a new system restore point before attempting newer drivers.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I just want to point out that not everybody is running into the bootloop issues with the NVIDIA 381.65 drivers, but because many people ARE, it would be in your best interest to protect yourself JUST IN CASE.

So just to be prepared, make sure you are on the 378.92 or earlier drivers BEFORE you attempt the upgrade (these drivers work for me). After you upgrade Windows 10, create a new system restore point. Then attempt the 381.65 drivers. Make sure you reboot after installing them as it is a bootloop problem. They will work until you reboot. If they fail for you, Windows will attempt to boot and crash a couple times, then it will bring you to a repair screen. Under the advanced boot options will be a choice to rollback to a system restore point.

That will be the best order to do things to avoid any potential issues.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

spasticColon posted:

So either the Creator's Update in Windows 10 or the newest Nvidia driver broke something because now output dynamic range isn't working over HDMI. Rolling back my video driver to the previous one fixes it so I'm guessing it's the fault of the newest Nvidia driver?

Yes. With WDDM 2.2, Windows is now in control of HDR. Anything that made use of NVIDIA's HDR API no longer works. The 381.65 driver will use WDDM 2.2, so you need to use an earlier version if you still want to use NVIDIA's HDR stuff. NVIDIA claims to be looking into possible solutions.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
A website did an SSD endurance test. A Samsung 840 256GB SSD logged its first uncorrectable error around 300TB of writes. It failed around 900TB of writes. The Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD lasted until around 2500TB.

I don't give any poo poo about writing to my 840 Pro. I have a pagefile enabled, I let Firefox/Chrome write poo poo to my HD all the time. I have 19.96TB written over 1201.25 days worth of power-on hours. That is about 16.6 GB of writes per day. Round that up to 20GB per day. After doing the math, the hard drive should technically out-live me. You should be replacing your SSDs with future-tech before you realistically run out of available writes.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

spasticColon posted:

Output dynamic range over HDMI still doesn't work for me under Win10 Creator's Update with the newest Nvidia driver so is there a workaround for this? I didn't see one in Nvidia's release notes for the new driver.

Are you talking about HDR stuff like with Mass Effect: Andromeda? Just one of the things that are broken on NVIDIA's WDDM 2.2 drivers.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Unlikely. I am pretty sure NVIDIA claimed that Windows does HDR now and so their new driver doesn't do it. But then they claim to be trying to find a solution, so who the gently caress knows. I'm just happy that their hotfix driver lets my laptop boot this time.

EDIT: Looks like G-SYNC is also broken with the latest drivers.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

sauer kraut posted:

For borderless with multiple windows active? That might be on Microsoft, too since they're trying to control variable framerates (in addition to their fine job with HDR) with wddm 2.1+

If it happens in exclusive fullscreen it's on Nvidia yeah.

Not entirely sure. People are claiming G-Sync on Win 10 CU is causing flickering and screen tearing issues. I haven't been able to test myself because until just recently, the WDDM 2.2 drivers would prevent my laptop from even booting.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, Linus Tech Tips got a legit GTX 1060 5 GB card from AliExpress, so it is possible to get actual stuff from there. Just don't buy the thing waaaay under MSRP.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Harik posted:

wait, what? There's no "near objects" in an oculus rift, it's all just pixels on a screen mostly-equidistant from your eye. At most you could blur out everything away from a radius from the point the lens is focusing on, no matter how virtually "far away" they might be.

E: I work on this stuff (HMDs), but I do the electronics, not the optics.

The Oculus Rift Half Dome prototype has motors that control the distance of the screen to your eyes to adjust the focal depth of the display. Eye tracking lets it see when you are looking at something near your face and adjusts the physical position of the displays to change the focal distance.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The latest nvidia drivers broke ycbcr 444 and I have to use 422

Honestly it's the small, stupid poo poo

There has been a lot of this stupid poo poo in the NVIDIA drivers lately. Like problems with GSYNC displays not working properly or messed up colors on HDMI-out to TV or the drivers uninstalling themselves after your PC idles for a while or...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

Never noticed literally any of that, not a single one of those symptoms (edit: or any of the ones you've claimed previously, literally zero problems on any of my GSync panels in the last 4 years, on 3 different uarchs). :shrug: I've especially never heard nor seen a GSync panel having flickering problems, ever. And in principle, GSync displays should be the most-validated displays on the market. Maybe your Windows installation is just broken as gently caress? Or, is not on the Deferred Update Channel?

e: but reading your post history, if you are actually using Borderless Windowed, you are exposing yourself to needless pain, as always happens when you add a couple extra layers of drivers just for funsies. If you are running borderless then you are adding a couple Windows layers to the picture too. But past that, it really sounds like Personal Problems.

It's a laptop GSYNC display and I always run games fullscreen when using it. It is a known problem that occurred with the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update. I just now checked the megathread for the issue on the NVIDIA forums and their customer service rep, as of 3 days ago, posted that it will be fixed in the next driver update.

Glad you don't run into any problems, though, buddy! Too bad lots of other people do!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

repiv posted:

A new standard was just announced for connecting VR headsets using a single USB-C cable: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...er-Devices.html

That pretty much confirms the earlier rumour about Ampere/Turing having a new output specifically for VR.

It says these have a USB 3.1 data channel. The maximum cable size for USB 3.1 gen 1 is 2m. Gen 2 is 1m.

Is the cable filled with repeaters or something? This doesn't sound very standard.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

tehinternet posted:

I love hearing the “oh I got a Mac because they’re SO much better at video,”

I haven’t kept up with it since that was vaguely true, I assume that a PC with a 2080 and an i9/Zen 2 would poo poo on whatever a Mac can roll out now

Well, Mac video editing is pretty much Adobe Premiere after Apple neutered Final Pro. And at that point, it's just about differences in hardware, and PC land gets you a lot more powerful hardware at the Apple price point.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I had one of those higher end CRTs that was released during the twilight years of the technology and I kept it for as long as I could. Sadly it started to fail and I had to replace it. I am so jealous that some people have 1440p and higher CRTs.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

HalloKitty posted:

It's also not out yet, but it's true that it probably won't find a huge audience.
Sit down, static VR is just crap, and a decent VR setup requires space, and ideally should be always left set up, because setup and calibration is just tiresome.
It can, however, be a great experience - room-scale that is.

Just because it supports sit down doesn't mean you can't move in-game. Standing VR also works just fine and you can play pretty much everything that way; most people have enough space to move your arms around without hitting anything. And most headsets use inside-out tracking and don't require you to set things up around your room anymore. You just put it on and the cameras recognize your play space, which means you don't have to set up your boundaries every time.

The thing that works against VR is that you need a gaming PC with at least a GTX 1060 / 1070, plus $400 for the headset. That is still a decent chunk of money for people.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

axeil posted:

Another stupid question: I'm getting an HP Reverb G2 whenever they come out which is why I'm targeting something heftier this replacement cycle. Is a 3070 going to be sufficient for that or do I need to go up to the 3080? I only have a 1080p monitor.

Baseline VR for that headset is probably going to be a GTX 1080. So yeah, it will be sufficient.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

buglord posted:

Why didn’t Nvidia make LHR nerf all crypto? Does each crypto tax the card differently? If ETH is gutted, something else will get propped up a year later right?. I guess there’s lots of good reasons for this, but my GPU knowledge is minimal outside of boobs on shroud = higher FPS.

It most likely nerfs crypto by looking at the algorithms the card is running and identifying that it is probably doing crypto hashing. But people may be able to get around it by un-optimizing the math. I'm not entirely sure because I don't know the math involved, but changing the sequence of events, or just injecting math work that does nothing at all, may make the algorithm different enough that it doesn't identify it as Etherium.

And yes, other coins are not affected because they are running different hashing algorithms. And yes, when Etherium goes proof-of-stake in a year, people will probably find another dumb crypto to prop up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been thinking about finally replacing my NVIDIA GTX 1070 with the AMD RX 7900 XTX (assuming it turns out to be good). Is there any sort of general consensus on decent AIB partners for AMD cards? Or would it be down to just "pick whoever you can find"?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The fact that THIS is not properly engaged is probably why we get failures. It looks like the cable is plugged in, but then you try to force your side panel on because your massive loving GPU just doesn't quite fit in your case and you slide your panel into place and the friction of the cable against the side panel yanks the cable out at an angle and now your GPU is burning.

Hopefully cable revisions can help in the future.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 16, 2022

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I was really hoping the R9 7900 XT would finally be my upgrade for my GTX 1070 but apparently AMD drivers have been utterly broken for VR for a year at this point and nobody really talks about that. It really sucks. And I just can't accept paying $1300 for an RTX 4080 so my GTX 1070 is just going truck on for another generation.

EDIT: At this point I should probably look into re-pasting the cooler on my GPU.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BurritoJustice posted:

If you're fine with 7900XT levels of performance you can get a 4070ti. It's a hundred bucks cheaper and the same performance per dollar in raster performances, but you get better RT and VR will work properly.

I completely forgot the 4070 Ti became a thing. Its something I'll consider.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kazinsal posted:

calling it now, the 7090 will be $2999 and people in this thread will still loving buy it and call it a bargain

Just you wait. AMD has chiplets now so they can make a $10,000 GPU with 40 chiplets. It will come in its own dedicated tower and you have to run an extension cord to your kitchen so you can unplug your stove and use its 240v outlet but it won't matter because AMD will be the KING and will revolutionize the next generation of graphics. It will be so far ahead of the game that NVIDIA won't be able to compete anymore and you can bet it will be a struggle for gamers find the time to stop masturbating over it and drive to their bank for a loan.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Double sided polygons means double the price

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

repiv posted:

so it's only for evaluating how a windows game might perform on mac, but it performs noticeably worse than a native port, so it's not even useful for evaluating performance really

it seems completely pointless for the purposes apple is sanctioning it for

the HLSL to MSL compiler they put out is somewhat useful for developers who want to go ahead with a native port, at least?

I wonder how much of that is coming up with workarounds for poo poo like Metal not supporting geometry shaders and all the other things it can't do. You gotta find new ways to re-implement that and a general solution probably isn't very fast.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I stopped trying to make yuzu play my ToTK because of the weird pixelated lines that darted through most of the landscape, apparently because I'm on a RDNA 3 gpu. Just gave up and played it on my switch like Aonuma intended

I gave up on all the Yuzu issues and just switched to Ryujinx. I would rather things work and play at a stable 30 fps than constantly fight with issues.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The fun thing about the Ryujinx and Yuzu is watching how many problems they have with modern GPUs. Ryujinx is having endless issues with how poo poo MacOS is for graphics and Yuzu just released a massive blog post about how terrible Vulkan drivers are for mobile GPUs.

The Yuzu blog post was actually pretty interesting because I never knew that somebody actually made a library that lets you rootlessly override the graphics drivers on Adreno 2xx-6xx GPUs with Mesa 3D's custom Android driver. You can literally have your program swap out Qualcomm's lovely broken drivers with something functional. It is also pretty darn hilarious to me that the Android driver ecosystem is so bad that people have to resort to this.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It's interesting how Yuzu's May progress report claims that the RTX 4060 Ti performs worse on emulation than the RTX 3060 Ti. They claim that using the 2x scaler (to render games at 1440p) basically saturates the 128-bit bus and tanks performance. And the GDDR6 RAM can't keep up with the bandwidth.

I wish somebody would actually benchmark that. I've only seen people re-posting the same news articles and not actually trying to verify it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Shipon posted:

Win 11 is a great OS married by some stupid annoying UI changes for no reason except presumably to justify some UI teams' jobs I suppose, I truly hate the new Start Menu and File Explorer

I hate it so much I actually purchased a start menu replacement.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, since AMD finally fixed VR with RDNA3, I ended up caving during the Amazon Prime sale and picked up that overclocked 7900XTX that was $200 lower than normal price. I had really wanted an RTX 4080, but, like, not +$400 +$70 (Starfield) prices. The RTX 4080 already wasn't really worth it.

I guess I now have to figure out if my 850w power supply is good enough for it. And I need to find the box to see if I even have enough cables. With my luck I'll get it and won't be able to use it for another week.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

It’s literally an AMD-sponsored title, are you saying there is no devrel work for a sponsored title?

If there was "devrel work", it was probably fixing a whole host of other stupid poo poo BGS was doing and not focusing on if a low impact item was actually high impact for NVIDIA. AMD would be making sure stuff worked on their hardware, not making sure NVIDIA hardware was nicely optimized. I'm going to guess that because of differences in architecture, AMD isn't hit as hard as NVIDIA is over this particular instance of sloppy code, so it was probably left alone. I'm more inclined to blame BGS for this rather than AMD, knowing their history.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm kinda hoping Bethesda does scRGB HDR and then says, "See, this is why we can't do DLSS3 FG!" I want this story to get even more fun.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

my understanding of what's to come with FSR is:

1. they've already released HYPR-RX, which is supposed to be their latency reducing tech to compete with NVidia Reflex. It allows a game to run Radeon Super Resolution (driver-level FSR1 upscaling), Radeon Anti-Lag (frame queue management) and Radeon Boost (dynamic resolution scaling) all at the same time, in an effort to keep frame rates up, and input latency low, during busy scenes. These three features already exist in the Adrenalin drivers, but they can't all be used at the same time, except under HYPR-RX. Notably, HYPR-RX is only supported by RX 7000 cards (and later).

2. FSR3 is frame-gen, and it's going to work on most cards, even old and non-AMD ones, if the game officially supports it.

3. there's going to be a driver-level frame-gen implementation, but it's only going to be for RX 7000 cards (and later).

there's still a level of, shall we say, "gatekeeping" here, since even though AMD is bragging about their frame gen being available to """everyone""", the latency reduction tech that's supposed to make it more bearable is only going to be on their latest cards.

As well, the frame-gen that can be used on "every game" (which not even DLSS frame gen tries to do) is also only going to be available on their latest cards. That said, I personally think this one is less of a big deal if only because you probably wouldn't want to throw frame gen on everything anyway

You got skipped over, but I just want to point out some things:

1. HYPR-RX is just a dumb marketing thing. All it does is enables Super Resolution, Anti-Lag, and Boost with a single button click in their software / overlay. You can just manually enable them if you want, and they can be used all at the same time. The only thing that can't be used at the same time with all the rest is Radeon Chill.

2. Correct. FSR3 is frame generation and requires developer integration with the game engine to work. It will work on older cards.

3. Correct. A driver-level frame generation tech that will support DX11 and DX12 will come later and only support 7000 series cards. This is separate from FSR3 frame-gen which requires devs to integrate it with the game.

4. FSR3 comes with latency reducing tech. Anti-lag and Anti-lag+ are driver-level latency reducing features. Anti-lag+ is 7000 series specific tech and needs per-game profiles to be created by AMD. However, nobody knows how well the built-in latency reducing tech in FSR3 performs. For all we know it could perform just as well as Anti-lag+ since it would be built into the game and not bolted on at the driver level.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's not exactly driver level integration if the game has to be individually catered for then, is it? 🤨

You can force it on for any game.

EDIT: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-30-afmf-tech-preview

quote:

* AFMF may be enabled for any DirectX® 11 and 12 title such as Cyberpunk 2077 using the per-app settings within AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™.

* AFMF can be automatically enabled using HYPR-RX or using the Global Graphics Settings toggle for these select titles;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

I figured that the FMF list was some set of exe names that can be edited in the binary, or similar.

The list of "supported" AFMF games is just the games that work when you enable the "HYPR-RX" preset or enable AFMF in the global graphics options.

You are able to force AFMF on for individual games via the per-app overrides.

So, global setting = pre-tested games. Per-app setting = forced on for any DX11/DX12 game.