Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Great OP, OP. In a nutshell, what's the difference between the 5xx and 6xx family of NVidia's cards (energy saving?)? I currently have a i7 2600 and a NVidia 550, which is not an ideal combination. But currently I don't really need a new card anyway. What't the next affordable thing that is more better than the 560? Or can't anyone say at this point. Sorry for the stupid/unanswerable question.

\/ Thanks a million and sorry for the oversight.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

And what about EVGA (might be a European thing)? Their stuff looks pretty slick. The EVGA Borderlands 2 NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti is tempting.

\/ Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 26, 2012

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Incredible. Suddenly everything seems possible.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Hi thread, I'm a bit confused about various models like SC, GTI and TI. Which one would I want if I wanted a reasonably good card (Nvidia 660)? I'm more concerned about stability and noise than performance. Thanks.

Wow, this is helpful. Thanks! Probably mixed up "GTI" in my mind somehow. Sorry about that!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 21, 2013

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Trip report: Coming from a MSI 550TI I bought a 2GB ZOTAC GeForce GTX 750TI and I'm happy as a clam. This thing delivered the little kick I expected of it and more. Admittedly I only play Street Fighter 4, Civ. 5, those Blizzard games and a bit of Counterstrike, but without Anti-Aliasing this is more than enough performance at 1080p. Also the fact that it only uses a maximum of 60 Watts is giving me warm tingles. I'm weird like that. :)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Lungboy posted:

First 1060s have started appearing: mini version here and standard version here.
Please excuse the dumb question, but why are there two versions?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

So I really can have a 980 with a TDP of 120W and 6GB RAM for 280$ now? Yes, please. This upgrade was worth waiting for.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Sorry, this is a bit of a weird question. Is there a list of recent Nvidia graphic cards that run silent (fan not running) when idle? Most cards seem hardcoded to spin at least at 40%. My Gainward 1060 6GB e.g. completely stops. Now I am looking for another NV 1050 4GB (or 1060) that does that.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

As far as I know Freesynch is AMD's implementation of Adaptive Synch, working with HDMI. I hope Adaptive Synch is possible with HDMI too and not just DP.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Be glad that Nvidia has chosen this largely irrelevant point in time to push something new out, so the next generation can be solid value again.
"Next generation" being the important part. Given that the next consoles are both based on AMD hardware and cross platform titles therefore won't support the new tech anyway, slowing its acceptance I'll gladly sit this one out.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

GeForce 417.71 Driver is out, featuring adaptive sync. Only works with Diplay Port though, as expected. Screw me and my 2 x HDMI Asus VG245H.
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Risky Bisquick posted:

I read a comment that AOC AG271QX is working with Freesync Greensync without issues :smuggo:

e: https://old.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ag5z8m/nvidia_freesync_monitor_testing_master_list/

Yeah, but mine doesn't have DP (if that's what you meant). Thanks though.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Hm, so far none of the 2060 cards have a zero-fan mode. Wonder when those will show up.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Hm, maybe next year or so, when they hopefully sweeten the deal with a HDMI 2.1 port.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

If I've got a card that's significantly louder than it is supposed to be (based on reviews), is there anything to tinker with or is it just an RMA thing?

Download and install MSI Afterburner and 1) undervolt the card 2) set a different fan curve. It is easier than it looks and makes a difference of almost 10°C with my 1060 on load. People here can help too (or visit the overclocking megathread). Or just sent it back.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

That's 2073600 (1920x1080) vs 3686400 (2560x1440) pixels, so around 1.8 times as many pixels to push. Add 144 hz which more than twice as many images than 60 hz and you'll end up with about four times higher performance requirements than 1080p@60 (would that be correct?). I'd go with a nvidia 2070 or higher for that. Decent screens like the Asus MG278Q can be had for less than 400$, so that would be a little less than 1000$ combined if you go with the inexpensive options.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 5, 2019

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

On the other hand Gigabyte's windforce cards always worked very well for me. Both are probably very good.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Taking a closer look at SotTR, RT means a huge hit to FPS, unsurprisingly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=ywDdjKIEzfQ

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

The only benefit would be slightly less heat (and electricity), but with a 1050 that negligible. I have a 1060 and have activated fast-synch in the Nvidia driver panel. If adaptive synch is not available for whatever reason this would be the next best thing.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I want to live in a cool cyberpunk future where my screen occasionally glitches out, shows artefacts or becomes blurry because I stream everything.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

double nine posted:

Which brings me to my bigger question, what's the significance of the brand? I'm thinking of buying an msi 1660 ti because it seems to be the "brand" with the best balance for noise and performance, and is relatively cheap (compared to asus, evga and some of the gigabyte cards). Is this correct?
Brand determines things like cooling (how much material is used, how big are the fans and how many are there), is the thing slightly overclocked, because "more is better" for most people (I disagree, it's maginal gains anyway), what additional software is included, is there a backplate or RGB, what power-connectors are used, is there a zero-fan mode, does it look good. Unfortunately most reviews do not really give a lot of these infos away, but personally I'd always go for the one with "Zero Fan Mode" and at least two fans. Gigabyte and their "windforce" series is pretty good here. MSI (not always) should be good too, as is ASUS. But I usually end up with Gigabyte.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

That's a sensible choice. Maybe the best option for 1080p as you don't pay for the near unusable tensor cores of the 2600 which is in a weird place. Might be the best value for money.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

whodatwhere posted:

Now that some non-blower 5700 (XT)s are coming out, are there any do's or don'ts in picking a particular brand? (keeping slot width in mind)

German reviews of the Powercolor cards:
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-08/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-test/
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-08/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-red-devil-test/

These seem really good.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

This site tells me a 1080 gets you 152+ FPS at 2560x1440 with high details already and a 2070 or 2070S would not get you considerably more. I'd take a look at your system first before buying anything else.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 3, 2019

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Latency? We have... negative latency.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

This is a good time to build a budget 1080p system for games.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Lockback posted:

I think the 480i --> 1080p was a way bigger jump for most people than the 1080p --> 4k is/will be.
Yep, or from 1024x768 to 1080p in computerland. Now I want to make the jump from 1080p to 1440p already but it's an investment of around 1100$ (screen and new graphics). A lot of money for not all that much gain. Maybe next year.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

That does look interesting and seems like an affordable alternative to those pricy (mostly) IPS screens. Thanks for that!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

The GPU Megat[H]read - destitute, lost in VR and in need of therapy

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Apparently my PC uses 234 Watts when I max out the AMD 2700 (non-x) and the NV 1060 using Furmark and some CPU tool. Given that a 2060 Super uses 70 Watts more I should be fine with my beQuiet 400 Watts PSU despite the recommendation for a higher wattage, right? I was thinking of getting a GALAX GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER EX (alt name: 8GB KFA2 GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER EX) that's why I'm asking.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 4, 2019

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

B-Mac posted:

Is that 234 watts a hardware or software reading? You’ll need to account for the rest of you system too if your just reading cpu and GPU power draw off software. Most likely you’ll be fine but it might be cutting it close with a 400W PSU.
I have this little device and measured it. In the end I'll still better go for a 500 W just in case. Thanks.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Following current trends and priorities those will likely offer 8k with RTX on in... 30 FPS.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Huh, this is the first time I can't uncheck the installation of the GF-Exp. Might just be me though.

AMD CES-Keynote in 90 mins incidentally. Maybe they'll have something interesting for the desktop users.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Cygni posted:

5600XT will be launched... if that interests you
There will be an exciting new architecture announced and it will have advanced raytracing with little impact on FPS. And good drivers. Just you wait.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Rosoboronexport posted:

Are there other GTX 1060 owners with 1440p displays, how do you manage with this combination, should I just skip updating the GPU? I'm aiming for upgrading the GPU when Cyberpunk is released in September.
Bought a LG UltraGear 27GL850-B in mid November and feared the worst, eyeing my old 6GB 1060. But other than a little loss in FPS that card holds up pretty well. Probably has to do with the games I played: World of Warships, Dragon Quest 11 (both locked at 60 FPS I think), CS GO is not demanding much and neither is Overwatch (140+ FPS on high details), even Hitman 1 & 2 give me 70+ FPS usually, which is very playable for a single-player puzzle game with occasional gunfights. Quake Champions ran at 120+ FPS on high detail when it finally loaded. I won't even mention strategy-, card- and adventure games. I guess if I went for lots of open-world games or Witcher 3, hoping to play everything maxed out I'd be let down, but the way it is I have a really hard time justifying the purchase of a new video card and it's all due to the VRR (Gsync) which works great. The card runs hotter than before admittedly, but If FPS drop I never really notice. Just my 2 Cents.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Always go for the native limiter for more vibrant colours and crisper edges imho. It's the one less limiting.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I was so ready to hop on the AMD bandwagon and get a Red Devil end of last year and now I'm glad I didn't.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Someone talk me out of moving from an RX580 to an RTX 2060 Super... please?

Seems like a reasonable upgrade? :)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Yeah but then I am dropping $400. QUESTIONABLE.
Well, you'll have about half a year of fun with it, ignoring leaks and promises of upcoming tech, probably. Then the real fun's starting and there'll be two new consoles, two new cards by both NVIDIA and AMD and things will be getting wild. So a few months of patience may be worth it. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Taerkar posted:

I've currently got a 1060 6GB version and it's really starting to show its age with certain things, pushing me to look to getting an upgrade. I'll be moving this card into my partner's PC so they'll get good use out of it, but I'm mostly looking to not spend too much. I'm thinking around $300 or so but I could go up to $400 if it's a good enough card to justify spending extra on it.

Right now I've got a 1920x1080 setup but I occasionally use a 4K tv for group stuff.

Might consider a Nvidia 2060 Super which starts at 400$ and is roughly 50% faster than the 1060 with 2 more GB of RAM. Not quite the jump it was from 9XX to 1XXX but noticeably faster. Below that I'm not sure it's worth buying a new card. Might want to wait a few more months to see what is being released.
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/com.../high/high/-vs-