Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
As a person who used both, the rtx one is much faster and does colored lighting through glass. Though Sonic's renders much farther as he is able to fall back to normal rendering when you go beyond path tracing range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Does Java support Vulcan or dx12? I honestly don't know

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

2060 KO are a way to make money off 2070 cards that had a defect in manufacturing. They turn off some parts of the card to make them functional. So it is weaker than a true 2070 but the chipset and ram etc are the same.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Well it is a beta

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

You could probably get some awesome render speeds in blender though

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anyone know if Nvidia RT cores are any good for offline (not real-time) GPU raytracing like for visual effects/animation rendering? Seems like the current crop of raytracing renderers are using CUDA so I’m not sure if the optimizations in the newer RT cores really helps in this application.

Blender 2.82 has optix for cycles path tracing as an option. And it is pretty good, though it takes time at the beginning of the render to set up the render kernal. Not all features are supported yet but I have not noticed it. Way faster than cuda rendering was.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

while a general model apparently works fine, I don't get why they couldn't do even better scaling by training a network specific to the game (taking temporal data into account DLSS 2.0 style)

A weird thing with nueral networks is that the more general a model gets, the better it tends to get. Probably because it can use way more training data.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

And if they don't want to be running steam at that moment?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Lockback posted:

Wasn't that a xbox 360 red ring solution too?

Gave us 7 more months of life for our last tv.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Indie development time is going to get sped up when they don't have to worry about wasting time on their few work PCs to build lighting.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Funnily enough, this means cheap tie ins to CG movies will probably look fantastic as they can take the laziest approach possible and just toss the models in.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Graphics are cool and all especially with the new Unreal Engine but doesn’t anyone want destructible environments? They haven’t improved since the original Red Faction and everything in Battlefield is pre-determined map elements.

Lighting is the major roadblock for destructible environments, and the new lighting seems to be built to handle destruction well

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Lockback posted:

Link to the footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3o0XtrnM8 for a more on rails segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfVTVMBr3gk for more just general gameplay.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Well most of the reflections during the gameplay segment a[[ear raytraced with no screenspace artifacts. That floor is really pretty.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

That link is to the same video that is on the top of my post... complete with both having 4k.

4k of the gameplay showcase has sadly not shown up yet.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

repiv posted:

In terms of which APIs expose RT hardware? DX12 yes, Vulkan yes through an Nvidia extension and soon through a cross-vendor extension, CUDA yes, DX11 and OpenGL no.

Sony usually roll their own APIs so it's probably something custom in their case, that's all under NDA and nobody is talking yet.

The PS5 tech breakdown says they are using Vulkan's Ray tracing API that was finished up quite some time ago.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

canyoneer posted:

In the original Tribes, there was a cloaking device that turned you completely invisible for a short amount of time. The invisibility effect only rendered on hardware accelerated graphics, so people running in software mode would just clobber all these people who thought they were invisible

That make me think of Gunz: The Duel where if you turned down the effects smoke grenades were easily seen through. So of course almost everyone played with effects low.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

The more complex the geometry, the longer it takes to build the bvh structure each frame, which is a cpu cost.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Turned on gpu scheduling a while ago and noticed no major difference in usable game performance.

But I noticed a huge jump in performance of things that are kind of pointless. The FFXIV main menu went from 250+ to just under 400. Even when rendering my character model in the character select I am now at over 300 fps. This all goes away once I am in-game and getting the normal performance. Turns out there is no situation where memory scheduling on the CPU is a bottleneck that isn't already well beyond the 165hz of my monitor.

Nothing important about this just thought it was amusing.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

so my 2080 super is now a paper weight... I kid of course but drat that makes me feel like a fool buying it early this year.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

shrike82 posted:

The numbers in the article mix usage of DLSS and RT so doesn’t seem true

Doom has neither of those and they showed amazing gains there

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

That is for some really dumb loving

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

There was recently a ue4 developer stream where they showed off how easy it is to get threw Nvidia branch with dlss. This is going to open up three number of potential indies that will be using it.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

DLSS 2.1 also I think allows for arbitrary resolutions to reconstruct from. Instead of either 1/2, 1/4 or whatever the other percantage was.

They made a big deal that it will work with dynamic resolution systems so a game can shift the resolution as needed and DLSS 2.1 will bring it the rest of the way to native.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Rinkles posted:

my biggest pet peeve with current lighting technology that ray tracing should solve is how flat and dull textures suddenly look when you enter a shadowy area

Unfortunately that is global illumination which fixes that. And that is legit the most performance expensive effect with RT.

Though rtxgi which uses raytracing to calculate lightprobes in real time rather than per pixel seems to be rather performant if their ue4 stream is trustworthy

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

unfortunately you do lose that near perfect Ambient occlusion proper RTGI generates, Also indirect shadows are going to be way less accurate, but we have gone so long without indirect shadows even existing that I can see most people being willing to sacrifice that.

The infinite bounces thing is just a recusion loop using the previous frames results, and can be done with RTGI, but it introduces lag in light changes. Heck Lumen for UE5 which is Raymarched has indefinite light bounces.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

https://youtu.be/k7FlXu9dAMU

The flood gates have opened

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Also max settings control is something to not really play at for certain settings. Volumetric lighting for example runs way faster at high with no discernible visual difference.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

For those goons that actually care about Fortnite performance, I did some games earlier.
2080 Super
1440p with Gsync max RT settings on Performance DLSS ran anywhere from 54-75 fps during gameplay. During 3d menus, it goes well over 100fps.

Obviously performance is not at the 100+ that people like if they are competitive. Luckily I am not that good anyway and it stays in my Gsync range nicely so it is all smooth as butter. I was able to get the same performance in balanced mode when I had reflections set to medium as they were by default. So If I did want some extra frames I would lower that backdown. There are I think 5 levels of reflections settings and it appears to be purely a roughness threshold rather than a samples per pixel change.

Honestly, I can't imagine turning these settings back off as Global illumination alone makes the game so much more attractive.

All my screenshots turned out as poo poo though so you will have to take my word for it.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

New Nvidia driver just dropped. Time will tell if it fixes the crashing issues you people are having

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA finds a new algorithm to improve video compression by three orders of magnitude

Looks to be a special case for headshot type scenarios rather than in general but still, that's impressive.

Since it uses a reference image... Could you use a prechosen episode of you nice and clean/ well dressed etc, while your current self is in a disaster state?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

AirRaid posted:

Guys you're missing the big thing here.

Fortnite gets lots of people using RTX, true, but RTX being a UE4 feature means a whole ton of devs who were going to use UnrealEngine anyway will have access to it. That's the huge thing down the line. Ease of implementation is key and it being rolled into one of the biggest, most commonly licensed engines will see a lot more games adopt it.

Ummm they have had access to it for a couple years now. Ue4 had it as a feature rather early

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

You are mad that some people like VR?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

awhile back the Razzlecore pbr pack was broken by a beta update, Emissive blocks stopped emitting light. I wonder if that ever got fixed or if they just expect people to only use rtx in the prebuilt worlds.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Twibbit posted:

awhile back the Razzlecore pbr pack was broken by a beta update, Emissive blocks stopped emitting light. I wonder if that ever got fixed or if they just expect people to only use rtx in the prebuilt worlds.

Hey, apparently they changed the file format I just learned for emissive textures, but they still link the two un updated texture packs on Nvidia's own site. One would think they would have fixed that before getting out of beta. Anyways this pack supposedly works to fix it.

https://mcpedl.com/vanilla-rtx/?cookie_check=1

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

That looks like taa and ssao ghosting as well.

I thought we left ssao ghosting behind with ue3 though.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

repiv posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1089130/announcements/detail/2903097291402265207

Quake 2 RTX works on AMD cards now if any Big Navi havers want to try it

But not on my 2080s that it used to work on... Let's play driver or update game

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

repiv posted:

It defaults to using the official Vulkan RT extension now which is only supported by the new NV and AMD drivers released today

There's a launch flag you can use to force it back to the earlier NV-only extension if you really need to

Nothing sticks out at the moment, but there's quite a few upcoming RT games where the only thing we know is they have RT but not what they're using RT for

Witcher 3s nextgen patch will probably have the same suite of effects as Cyberpunk I guess

I was using the new driver

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Reinstalling the driver fixed it.

The denoiser improvements combined with the temporal upscaler make a much cleaner image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

They both have terrible cpus so that might be bottlenecking them. Also old architecture is not as effecient as modern gpus