Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

eames posted:

GTX 1660ti is the most power efficient card by some margin, 20% ahead of Pascal. 1070 performance at 1060 power consumption.
That chip shrunk to 10/7nm would be great for laptops. I hope they extend the GTX line for value oriented customers and improve the RTX line as a luxury product, rather than forcing it down everybody’s throats.

Came into this thread because I don't follow the business of video cards and wanted to see if anyone had any insight as to what the release of the 1660 would do to pricetags on RTX cards. I'm looking to get a 2070 and someone said to wait a bit and see if prices drop at all, but I have no idea if this person knows what they're talking about. Is it possible that RTX pricetags could actually go in the other direction- should I buy a card sooner rather than later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Taima posted:

Sure. Frys has been issuing 20% off your entire cart coupons, with restrictions- usually the first 40 customers who ask for it specifically, that day. If you signed up for the emails, you'll get informed when that happens. Sometimes it's every weekday, sometimes it's on the weekend.

I just signed up for their promos as well, you can find the coupon Taima's talking about by clicking the "Click here to shop all weekly deals" link towards the bottom of the welcome email.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I bought an RTX 2070 for GPU rendering, but I got a discount code for a game, and even though I'm not really gaming on my PC much I thought what the hell.

To redeem the game, I need to go through Nvidia's Gaming Experience software. I wasn't really interested in installing this. Can I install it, download the game, and then deinstall Gaming Experiencing? Or am I stuck having to keep Gaming Experience installed to play the game?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

VelociBacon posted:

Do you mean GeForce experience? It's also how you get new drivers and most people have no (serious) issues with it. Yes you can uninstall it after.

Yes, that's what I meant- posting from work and relying on my terrible memory. Thanks.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Cavauro posted:

Installing the drivers is extremely straightforward. That poster who works in rendering probably just doesn't want any bloat and doesn't happen to know what GeForce Experience is

This is it. I know how to install drivers on my own, I don't need a program that does it for me, and I definitely don't need something making changes that may or may not break how my software works. Does Geforce Experience operate automatically int he background, or does it ask before updating the drivers?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

LRADIKAL posted:

I just did the web cam from DSLR thing... My Lumix can connect via WiFi, but it's a low quality stream. You need an HDMI capture card. As far as I can tell, there are three types. Ones in eBay with limited capabilities 1080p@30 fps for 16$, old used full frame 1080p ones for a hundred dollars, and very expensive 4k versions. I ordered a cheap junk one, they get mixed to bad reviews, but we'll see.

There's also this from El Gato.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do people actually use laptop GPUs for anything other than games, which mac already doesn't have, and is going to have even less of in the future?

CG artists and scientists use them with mobile workstation laptops, not for terribly heavy work- you still need beefier desktops and server farms- but for smaller tasks that can be worked on while traveling.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My willingness-to-pay has maybe gone up a little bit, but it's secondary to my ability-to-pay. I also tend to have a good idea what goals I am trying to achieve with my hardware, and try to have the most cost-effective approach to reaching them. I spent more on my 2070 Super than I have spent on any single computer component before, but my goal was to be able to drive 1440p at the highest graphics settings and it meets that goal.

It's both ability and willingness that's changed for me. The first computer I got was when I was making $18k yearly on a grad student stipend in 1999. Having a proper salary now means I can afford a greater range of parts. But my needs have also changed for what I'm doing with the machine, so that's probably a bigger driver in terms of what I'll put down for. Since I'm not gaming, whether or not I buy a 3000 series (and when) will depend on the numbers those cards put up for GPU rendering. Since that application scales with the number of cards, it may make more sense in terms of price/performance for me to just add another 2000 series.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mercrom posted:

Can consumer GPU's do NVLink memory pooling?

I have no idea what that is, I don't know technical stuff. I'm using Redshift for rendering, it uses every GPU in your system, so you don't have to swap out when you upgrade, you can just keep adding cards to get better render times. I'm running it with a 780 and a 2070.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
In looking at the past few pages, I see a lot of folks anxious to buy immediately. What's the logic in buying a card immediately at release as opposed to waiting later? Is it worries over stock selling out, or are prices anticipated to get worse after launch?

I'm not in dire straits for a card but was thinking about adding a 3070 or 3080 to my existing 780+2070 setup for GPU rendering, only I just bought an OLED TV upgrade so now I'd like to wait until later in the year or even until January or February.

Also since I'm stacking cards in my case, I've tended towards blower designs. What's my best option for cooling if I'm concerned about multiple cards in the same case?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
At some point I'll be looking to add a card, either a 3080 or 3070, into a case that already has two other cards. If I remember correctly they're not making blower versions anymore, so what model would be the best choice for a use case with multiple cards?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Subjunctive posted:

The FE is half blower, probably your best bet. Yours is not a scenario that gets a lot of attention in the consumer space, though, post-SLI as we see now.

Are FE limited edition? I've never paid attention- will it still be possible to get an FE edition if I'm waiting for well after post-launch when I don't have to bot or anything to get a card?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
What do the prices look like for the 3090 through the EVGA stepup program?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

CerealKilla420 posted:

I think people are just less likely to build a PC on their own when it is much more cost effective these days to just buy a pre-built machine.

How is this possible? I would think you would always save money building it yourself since it cuts out the labor costs. Does it simply come down to the current market on the one component, the GPU?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s entirely about GPUs. Prebuilt manufacturers get price breaks on GPUs and they have availability. So you can get something now, at a reasonable price. If/when GPUs stop being supply constrained, building your own PC will again be more cost effective

I was pricing workstations at Puget Systems a month or two ago and they still seemed to be charging +10-20% of the base retail cost of the parts, so I suppose that doesn't apply to more niche builders, only to the larger system providers?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Xaris posted:

UPS is definitely a great peace of mind.. The price difference to spring for a beefcake boy vs a lower cap one wasn't very much so I sprung for the 1500VA.

I asked about UPS in the PC parts thread but never got an answer, maybe one of you guys can help me.

I've got a beefy power supply- 1500 or 1600 watts- that I got since I was planning to keep adding GPUs for rendering. The Cyberpower UPS I'm looking at is rated at 1000W. For someone who doesn't understand electricity at all, what would be the issue for plugging my computer with its 1500W PSU into a 1000W UPS. I've only got a 780 and a 2070 in there now, so I don't think I'm drawing north of a 1000W yet, but if I added one or two more cards, would the computer not be able to run at load while plugged into that UPS?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Buff Hardback posted:

I mean you're only safe to pull 1500W (in america) from the wall anyway, so I'd hope you're not pulling that sustained anyway

it's also highly unlikely you're drawing 1500W anyway

What I'm wondering about is if the computer, with 4 cards, pulls north of 1000W and is plugged into the 1000W UPS. What would happen?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

I've never used Antonline before and don't know where they're based, are they fine for doing business with US addresses?

That's not a bad price for a 3070 bundle is it? Is 3070 a "bad" card? I can't remember which cards aren't worth getting. (I know any card you can get your hands on is worth it in this market, but I'm doing fine with a 2070 and have the luxury to keep waiting.)

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BonoMan posted:

Question! I do GPU rendering and have a machine with 3 x 2080s in it. I have a slot for one more.

I have another 2080 or I can put a Quadro RTX 5000 in it (that's just hanging around unused)

Currently I use Octane, which won't use the extra VRAM I'm told, but also will be using Redshift soon which apparently can.

But is there potential hiccups with introducing a different-but-still-RTX card into the setup?

I don't think so? I have a 780 and 2070 rendering with Redshift. If you look at the render benchmark thread in Redshift forums, there's all sorts of folks rendering with patchwork card setups. Only wildcard here is that you're mixing a Quadro with gaming cards, I still don't think it matters but worst case scenario is Redshift just wouldn't see one during rendering, you wouldn't be blowing up your machine or anything.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 18, 2021

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Alan Smithee posted:

the 3070ti FE seem to keep dropping in surprise bulks at BB locations at random

if you are still desperately seeking a card and want to know if there's one near you lmk where you are

I'm in the LA area would love to know.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Alan Smithee posted:

louisiana or los angeles

Los Angeles

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Best Buy had some online FE drops recently that were apparently quite easy to get if you were paying attention. It seems there's no real bot competition anymore since the ebay price for these cards have gotten too low to make scalping worthwhile, and miners aren't hoovering up GPUs anymore.

Are these predictable in any way- any particular day/time?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I seem to remember the 4070 and the 4070Ti were so close in specs so it wasn't worth buying one of the models given the price difference, but I can't remember which model was the one to buy, can anyone confirm?

Also are all Nvidia brand cards Founder's Edition? There's one on the Best Buy app that is Nvidia but the box picture doesn't say Founder's.

edit- this is for rendering, I don't care about game performance

Listerine fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 5, 2022

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Assuming you mean the 3070/3070 Ti, the one to buy is the 3070. If they're almost identical in performance, then it stands to reason that you should just get the cheaper one, after all.

If the card itself is manufactured by Nvidia, then it is a founder's edition. The "founder's edition" branding isn't displayed prominently on the box or the best buy store listings, it seems, but this is an FE, for instance. They all have that same general design, with fans embedded into a large heatsink and no tacky plastic shroud.

Doh, that's exactly what I meant (but I'd certainly take a 4070 tomorrow if I could!).

Thanks!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Does Best Buy limit how many GPUs you can buy now?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

I don't know what their in-store purchasing policy is, but online you're only allowed to order GPUs for pickup, and only one item per GPU, though you can order multiple different GPUs at once.

Turns out it was my credit card company that put a hold on my card when I tried to buy a second GPU, of a different model, several days after the first purchase. It was weird because I did the automated step of verifying the charge with the card issuer, but they still kept the block in place until I called in and talked to a person, so I couldn't figure out which entity was actually blocking the purchase. I guess credit company's are still dialed up to 10 around GPU purchases and related fraud.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm about to pop a couple new 3000 series cards into my computer to replace my old 780 and 2070. Just a little nervous since it's been forever since I swapped parts in. This would be the correct cable to plug into the adapter right? It has VGA written on it which is throwing me for a loop for some reason, but that's the only 8 pin cables in my PSU's kit.

Also is there any market at all for a 780? I'm guessing since they ended driver support I might as well throw it away?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Yes, that is the cable. And you can probably get $50 - $100 for the 780 on ebay. People are still buying it for that much since the equivalent-performing GTX 1650 costs like $180 new still for some stupid reason.

Would ebay be the safest way to resell?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What wattage is your PSU, and which 3000 series cards did you get? I know you're not using them for gaming, and am not sure what kind of power draw you can expect from rendering, but I figured it was worth asking.

1600W, I've got one 3070 and one 3060Ti.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Cool, I would think you're more than fine there. Just thought I should ask.

I appreciate it, I was pretty sure I'd be fine but the spot check is reassuring.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
So I popped these two cards in, and the fan is going hard on the 3060Ti, and looking at the temp in both Geforce Experience's performance monitor and in Windows Task Manager, it's in the 80C range.

I'm using the 3070 to drive my monitor, and this is at idle. I can revisit my case's cooling situation and add fans but why would the 3060Ti be operating at 20% when it's not driving any monitors and I'm not using it to render?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Cavauro posted:

is the fan assembly of the 3060 Ti right up against the back of the 3070?

3070 is above the 3060Ti, so its fans are blowing down onto the 3060Ti, but I spaced them out so there's an empty PCI-e slot between them. So two slots of empty space in between the cards. I could move it down one more slot I suppose, but the 3070 is not running hot and fan is barely moving on that card.

Look at the power consumption in the Geforce Experience's performance panel, or in hwinfo64 or something. What's it at?

See the screenshot. This is about 2 minutes after booting up, the only program I have open is Firefox.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Welp it was Folding at Home. I haven't used it in over a year, haven't opened it or assigned it any new tasks, and I couldn't even tell if it was working on anything, but that was the process that had the GPU cranked up. I don't know why it would come alive again just because I swapped out cards

Thanks so much, both cards dropped to ~40C drawing 5-10W in the Geforce app shortly after uninstalling FaH.

Both are Nvidia cards in a Cooler Master II Ultra Tower Case, with the stock fans- a 200 mm in the front, 140 mm in the back, 120 mm on the top, and 2x 120mm on the side by the lower hard drive cage.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

I figured it would be something like that, and I'm glad it wasn't a sneaky crypto miner.

I still think 82C for 148W on a 3060 Ti Founders edition is kind of alarming, but maybe F@H was hammering it in a way that heats up the GPU more? I'm looking at that case, and it seems like the GPUs should at least have plenty of room to breathe. That's also a lot of fans, though the positioning of them is a little odd and not conducive to great airflow (nothing you can do about it, that's just how the case is built). But if everything works well during the normal, intended usage of those GPUs, then I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm also glad it was something relatively benign, but man I have no idea what FaH was doing, I did a few render tests with subsurface scattering settings cranked up and neither card got as hot as the 3060Ti yesterday.

These cards are dynamite though, rendering in 1 minute what used to take me 9. I might regret it when the 4000 series drops but I think I'd rather have the bird in the hand then gamble on being able to get the new cards at launch, after being stuck using a 780 in my rig for the past two years.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just tried to catch up on something like 400 posts in this thread, which I scanned through admittedly on the quick side, and I'm not sure I'm following all the comments on the economics of the near future, with inflation/recessions etc

I was thinking of buying a new computer sometime Q1-2 of 2023, would it be better to buy now, or to wait? Are components going to become more expensive due to increased scarcity?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I might order a new computer soon and I'm going to see if I can order it without a graphics card, since I have a couple 3000 series cards that are only a few months old which I could move over; but if the vendor won't sell without a graphics card- or if I decide the hell with it and order with a 4000 series card- which should I avoid, the 4070 Ti or the 4080? I haven't kept up with which is the better value, in terms of price/performance. I'm interested in the Cuda cores for rendering, not gaming performance.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Your best bet is either getting a prebuilt with the lowest tier GPU possible or perhaps one that uses an APU (NZXT used to sell their Foundation line that was like this, but unsure if they still sell them), a used one with the card stripped out (ebay has a lot of these). I'm not really aware of any system integrator that would sell their machines without a GPU out the door.

The place I'm looking at has fixed options, I'm going to call and see if they'll build one without a card- they invite custom requests on their site. But, if I do have to select a card, I need to choose between 4070ti or 4080 (I'm not shelling out for 4090). So my question is between those two options which is the best price/performance?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

VostokProgram posted:

Is this for work or something? A prebuilt is going to add some disgusting markup

I'm buying it personally, but I found a place that itemizes the cost of each part, they're on par with buying them myself through Amazon/newegg. The build fees come out to about $150. I find that to be completely reasonable.

I hadn't thought about the RAM, that's a good point; I haven't hit an issue with my 3070 yet so it's sounding like 4070Ti may probably be the way I lean.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

K8.0 posted:

You can take for granted that any place that is only charging you $150 to build is selling you some lovely parts. Doesn't mean it will necessarily affect you, but buying a prebuilt PC is never a deal or anything close to it.

What exactly are you doing with this system? Optimizing specifically for your use case is probably very worth it, whether this computer is going to make you money or not.

I'm doing digital modeling/animation/rendering, video editing/compositing/encoding. I was looking at one of these with the 7950X: https://www.centralcomputer.com/titan-mini-1.html.

I thought most of the parts seemed fine, I know the case/boot drive have been recommended here before and I'm familiar with the processor- wasn't sure about the RAM/power supply, was going to ask about those options as well but was curious about the GPU question first as that's the biggest expenditure.

Jeez. Not sure the jump from 4070ti to 4080 is worth the extra $ for what I'm doing now, but that's pretty significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

K8.0 posted:

I'm not sure where you did your parts shopping but you should swing by pcpartpicker, you can pretty much copy and paste things into the search bar and click add and yeah... you're paying a decent premium there, plus you could probably save money in a few places (you almost certainly do not need a $700 motherboard).

Ok I'm really confused, I understand the point about saving money by swapping parts like the motherboard- which is certainly fair and I'm certainly going to do more research on parts (just realized the RAM is RGB which I do not need at all); but I ran these components through PCpartpicker and just did again after your post, and the computer store prices are very much the same as what I'm getting out from PCpartpicker. The largest price difference I'm seeing is $40, and on both those parts, the computer store's prebuilt comes in lower than the price I'm seeing on PCpartpicker.

I mean this isn't really that important but I'm just not seeing where this company is marking up the components?