Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I have an i5-7600k, 1060 6gb, and 32gb ram. Im really hoping I can squeeze 1-2 more years out of the cpu/board with a better video card. What would be the best fit for 1440 gaming at high to ultra (if that's even possible given the cpu)? My budget prohibits me from upgrading the whole setup but now that I have a 4k monitor I want to get as much out of it as I can while putting money aside for the future build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Mercrom posted:

If I want a HDMI cable for 4k 120hz with VRR do I just look for something with "Ultra High Speed HDMI™" on the box like this one?
https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2480/

That's pretty much what I did, although I didn't even check if the one I got off Amazon supports VRR but it most def is 4k 120hz.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

After several times of being in the checkout process only to have different 3070s sold out, I managed to snag an Asus TUF 3070. No confirmation email but my card was charged. It defaulted to store pickup at a location 40 miles away but I just mashed buttons as quick as I could so I don't mind the drive. Finally, the wait is over (hopefully).

Edit: will my current EVGA 600B power supply suffice or do I need a new one?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

DrDork posted:

Yes, there was one last Friday. Quantities are still limited, obviously, but I was able to grab one for my girlfriend without too much trouble. You do absolutely need to have a BB account with all your info already loaded and ready to go, though, and when the stock notice button goes to "Please Wait" or it tells you it needs "One more thing..." you need to NOT reload the page--just sit there and wait. If there're any left it'll eventually change back to the normal Add to Cart button on its own, at which point you mad-rush through checkout and hope you win.

Did this and I managed to grab a 3070. Took 3 tries all with different cards but it worked in the end. I mashed so quickly I selected store pickup so hopefully I get the email that it's arrived at the store today...

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

I got an email from Best Buy that my 3070 order is delayed due to fulfillment issues. If they can't get it to the store by Wednesday they will cancel the order. Anyone ever receive an email like this and still receive the card or should I just expect that its going to get cancelled because you know, best buy and all?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Starks posted:

I managed to get a PNY dual fan 3070. Is PNY generally worse than gigabyte/evga/MSI? They seem to have a good warranty but I’ve never heard of the brand and reviews for this specific card are scarce/nonexistent.

I had a PNY 1060 6gb for a few years. Never had a problem with it at all and would have no problems buying them again.

Edit: I should add that prior to buying the 6gb I bought the identical 3gb version, which I then sold to a friend after upgrading to the higher vram. He's had no issues in 3 years with his card, either. PNY was known to me as a memory and storage brand so like you I was a bit skeptical with the card but it turned out to be a good buy.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 27, 2020

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

air- posted:

Stuck on "Waiting for more inventory..." :sigh:

Be patient. I had this happen 4 times over the course of an hour or so and was able to get a 3070 last week.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

I have bought a GPU for everyone I know and I would like to open up my services to any interested parties. I'll f5 and monitor all the discords for you I until buy the GPU you want.
Same price no matter the gpu. $100 for me, you pay paypal transactions fees and shipping to you. Any of the goons who have used my services are free to vouch. To date I gotten 3 3080s to goons and 4 to friends.

If its on newegg I can probably get it, not only 3080s but any ampere and also 6800s. No payment due until I have it in hand ready to ship.
US only

PM if interested.

Sent you a PM.

If OP is able to snag me a 3080 I'll sell my recently acquired 3070 to a goon in need.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Lister posted:

While I'm not in need exactly, I'd be willing to buy your 3070 and then turn around and sell the 2070 super I got six months ago to another goon and start a hand-me-down chain.

Sure, I'll give you first dibs.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

hifi posted:

felt good with the card in my shopping cart for ten minutes until it went out of stock

Ten minutes is too long. You have to have personal and payment info already entered and from there its mash mash mash until it's done. I think from first mash to last mash I took less than a minute to get my card.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

I'm siding with the evil corporations because I don't see them putting out videos with ridiculous thumbnail faces.

I did get a laugh out of one that Linus made that has the requisite dumb face and the title "I'm done covering for Nvidia!". Uh, so you've been covering for them this whole time? Where's the integrity?!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

DrDork posted:

DLSS + RTX to me looks better than native 1440p without RTX.

Same. I went back and forth between 1440p with no RTX and DLSS 1440p Quality+RTX and while native is noticeably sharper, the ray traced lighting and reflections keep me on DLSS.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Cables for high-refresh monitors (DP1.4 and HDMI 2.1) are an absolute shitshow, the best advice anybody can give you is to buy a couple and return the ones that don’t work. Stay at no more than 2 meters/6 feet if at all humanly possible, 3 meter cables are incredibly flaky. 1 meter/3 foot cables are even better if you have the PC on your desk.

“Certified” cables mean nothing and can still have problems.

My PC is in the living room connected to the tv and due to the weird not at all possible to rectify layout of the room, the cable needs to be at least 8 feet. Both cables I've purchased have random artifacting, flicker, and blackouts. At first I thought it was the quality of the cable but you are correct in that really anything over 5feet for 2.1 is a total poo poo show.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Thoom posted:

Well, that's distressing. I'm in a similar boat in terms of living room layout (TV and inputs are on perpendicular walls), and I was planning to upgrade to a 4K TV next year. Guess I'm just screwed.

I bought my tv a few months ago specifically for the 4k120hz capabilities so yeah I'm kinda bummed too.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Nm I saw the list.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

shrike82 posted:

lol at this patch note

Was this the hex edit that people claimed ga love them a fps boost?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

TheCoach posted:

So uh, would anyone be willing to hunt down and ship a 3080 to Europe for me? I'd pay a 100$ upfront for the hunting effort and would cover shipping costs, the budget would be ~800$

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950980&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a useful list of ray tracing games available right now? While I wait in the Cyberpunk patch, I want to play something else. Most of the lists I'm finding on google are things like "List of ray tracing games you can play right now" and then half the games aren't out yet.

So far I've played Cyberpunk and World of Warcraft with ray tracing. WoW's support seems more like a non-useful novelty more than anything else. I've got Control, I'm waiting on that for now, though.

Metro Exodus

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Regrettable posted:

Or maybe the game actually is just fine on PC? I'm 45 hours in and the only bugs I've run into are not being able to pick some random junk items up off the ground and a character having a gun stuck to their forehead in one cinematic.

40 hours in on pc and I've had a similar experience. Some weird graphical glitches but those are rare and not all effecting my enjoyment.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Back to the HDMI 2.1 chat...I bought this exact same 15ft cable from Amazon that Vincent used figuring that despite the warnings of going over 5ft it worked for him so it was worth a try. It arrived today and after a few hours of play with Cyberpunk and RDR2 I can say definitively that it does work great. No flicker, blackouts, or other graphical issues at 4k/120hz. RDR2 was the most egregious offender with my prior 2.1 cables and it worked flawlessly. I would say it's worth a buy.

repiv posted:

oh nice they've finally started certifying HDMI 2.1 cables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6SguHsfv3M

https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Compa...194&sr=8-3&th=1

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Mercrom posted:

Can you use VRR/G-sync at 4K/120hz? What TV do you have?

I got a LG C9 and use this cable connected to an ASUS TUF 3080 and it's very far from flawless. It can do 4K/120hz but it randomly loses connection when switching resolution or refresh rate, and it can't handle G-sync at 4K or even 1440p with HDR.

I don't know how cables work. Is it possible that the cable handles high bandwidth but is still somehow too unstable for VRR at higher than 1440p 120hz?

My tv is a Sony Bravia X900h which after a firmware update handles 4k/120hz. The update for VRR is supposed to come out this winter so I cannot speak to that.

The previous two cables I used would not let me switch to 1440p at all. 10/10 times it would blackout completely. So far I have been able to use 1440/120 on the desktop and in RDR2. I have also been able to switch back and forth between 1440/120 to 4k/120 from the desktop and in-game with no issues, so as far as that it appears to be a good cable paired with my Asus Tuf 3070.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

21sr birthday ended with me (according to someone who walked into my room at that moment) pissing all over the bottom front of my pc and the carpet all around it. Rough night.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

You folks getting them from Best Buy, are you grabbing them online or just hitting the actual store every morning or what?

I grabbed mine online and as far as I know they don't sell the cards in-store.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

I had 3 different 3080s in my cart with 3 different browsers during the Best Buy drop. Couldn't get any of them to go through. I was going to sell them to needy goons anyway so I apologize for my failure from the bottom of my heart.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

nordichammer posted:

I'm kind of tired of playing the refresh game for 3080 alone.

If I have a Ryzen 5600x, is it worth looking into the newest Ryzen cards as well? Basically I just want to roll 60 fps on my 60 refresh rate TV at 4k. My 1070 often hits under 30 fps.

It certainly won't hurt to look into it but you'll have less of a chance grabbing an AMD card than any of the RTX ones.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I did it. I might have lost my 3080 but I got a RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming. I can finally rest now. Also sending that puppy to the post office to be picked up because I am not going through with that poo poo again!

Good to hear!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Oops I'm an idiot!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

AirRaid posted:

CP was part of my decision to upgrade when I did, and I am happy with the result, on a 3080. It mostly brute forces any optimisation issues and lets me play with all the bells and whistles.

This was the case for me. I didn't upgrade solely because of the game but it did largely dictate when I did and it worked out great. Started the game with a 3070 and finished with a 3080. What made me realize my i5-7600k /1060 6gb build was getting long in the tooth was having to turn down settings on RDR2 in 1080p. Moving into a new place and getting a 4k/120hz tv shortly before Cyberpunk's release also made it easier to just do a full blown upgrade.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

got my poo poo, hallelujah no lips

wow this thing has loud fans compared to the strix 1080 it replaced.

I have the same card and can verify that yes it is a good card but is loud as hell.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

buglord posted:

Not that it really changes the outcome of my GPU purchase, but RTX-High in Control is kind of a personal letdown for me. I can spot the difference of RTX on/off, but in a way I can’t put into words, I can’t bring myself to care about it. Game still looks completely amazing without it on.

I was just playing this a few minutes ago having not played it since Cyberpunk came out and I think that game spoiled RT for me because Control doesn't look as good with it on high as I remembered it. Still a great looking game, thoug but I get what you are saying.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

New Egg marketplace sellers have no qualms with advertising AMD coolers as new when every review states they received an obviously used product.

Best buy doesn't have the biggest selection of components but it's now the first place I look when I'm too lazy to drive the 30 mins to Microcenter.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

change my name posted:

I feel like the Gamestop squeeze is going to push GPU prices higher too, it's mainly redditors and more online people cashing out

If/when the proposed $1400 Covid checks are cut....yikes for who is still looking for a 3000 series then.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Romes128 posted:

I’ve had windows put my 144hz monitor to 60hz after game crashes and things like that. I check it every so often just to make sure even though it hasn’t happened in a while.

In my quest to find a functioning hdmi 2.1 cable this would happen to me quite a bit but without the crashes. I would have to unplug/plug the cable for it to read right. Now I have a cable that keeps the refesh rate at 120hz as designed but I still check it from time to time because getting burned on cables has made me somewhat paranoid that it will reset again.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

There are no rules in 2020.1 and if you wanna drop 2k on a gpu and can afford it, you ain’t gotta justify a thing

This. I spent a lot of money to build a new pc but in this current shitstorm we are all living in if I can do it...gently caress it, why not?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

spunkshui posted:

I think what you have to remember with fans is how long they’re going to last and how long they’re going to be quiet

Youtubers open brand new packages and test them out but what you’re paying for is that it’s going to keep doing that after four or five years of continual use.

After about 2 years of use 2 of the fans that came in my old NZXT case started sounding like metal grinding. I couldn't wait to get rid of that case for a Fractal Design which is much quieter.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Doomtrain posted:

Any day now we should be getting that late October flood of cards...

Followed by the late december flood, right?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

No cards for you! Next!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

AirRaid posted:

GPU Megathread: gently caress You Got Mine

...no? :ninja:

Nope. I have a 3080 but still look for cards on Best Buy in order to grab one for any needy goons.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

ufarn posted:

Speaking of power settings, how well can I run a 3080+5900X on 750W? I'm not going to do manual overclocking; if anything, I'm going to mess with undervolting, but it still looks like the power budget is a little hairy, especially for all my USB connections and drives.

750w is the recommended minimum for a 3080 you would probably want to go a little higher or just spring for 1000w to sleep easier, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Rinkles posted:

hah, i was about to ask how extended mining could affect the long term health of a home pc

My Phenom II rig is holding up just fine toiling away with a 2070.