Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Andrast posted:

Gladio is a dick though

gently caress him

He doesn't start out that way though and he only starts being that way after poo poo hits the fan and it's his way of venting while also trying to protect and motivate Noctis.

I'd lose my patience too if the future king I was supposed to protect kept being distant and careless and my friend was missing and another friend just lost his eyesight trying to help me do my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

So what's your favorite all-time moment of any Final Fantasy game?

Mine is in FF4 when you're trying to escape the Red Wings in the Underground post-Tower of Babil, when Cid decides to jump out of the airship and blow himself up, sealing off the underground and thus stopping your attackers from pursuing you. The guy literally blows himself up to save you, yet still survives. Literally immediately after Yang blows himself up to save the dwarves (and also survives). I mean, it takes some serious loving balls to jump out of an airship and explode yourself. FF4 Cid is loving awesome.

So what's your favorite all-time FF moment (from any FF game, including spin-offs)?

Lightning punching Snow. Twice. Then when he says "I'll save Serah and I'll protect Serah and be the hero" she says "Great job so far."

I'm not even kidding that's my favorite FF moment ever because I want to IRL punch delusional people who can't accept objective reality.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

Final Fantasy is dumb. Videogames are dumb

This but ironically.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

The worst birthday thing just comes across as Lightning being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe because not only is Snow the nicest guy in the game, she immediately dismisses her sister saying she has a death sentence on her head.

We've talked about this before and, you might say "well l'Cie are semi-mythical! Lightning hthinks her sister is just coming up with some BS lie!" Only the game starts with us all becoming l'Cie and everyone freaking the gently caress out because of a Pulse l'Cie. They were determined to kill, what, hundreds of people because of this "myth"? So being a l'Cie is never really conveyed to us as this something that never, ever happens and Lightning just comes off as an insensitive jerk. Which she is.

And I know her backstory.Oddly, even though she's often compared to Cloud, she's more like Squall. She thinks being a cold hard-rear end is how adults act.

No it's because that's how cops and soldiers are trained.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Snow is a dumb loving rear end in a top hat.

Not an emptyquote.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

If we are gonna do game specific moments:

FF1: Visiting the Dragon God and getting your class change. It was awesome to watch your party members turn from little kids to adult killing machines. Especially if you had a thief turn into a ninja.

This is a really good one too. My little 12 year old self was like :aaaaa:

Getting that rat tail SUCKED though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well I think that settles it. After I'm done with FF12 I was going to play FF9 because I never played it before (and I still am) but after that I'm replaying FF13. It's been 10 years jeez.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You only need 1 white mage. Red mages get access to some basic white magic so you'll always have access to 2 healers. You'll never need that though because the game is easy. You can always grind levels and LP and gil and XP and rare steals from trials.

Don't try to minmax. You'll have way less fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
How do I get ribbons in FF12 TZA?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Phantasium posted:

Get to level 49 of the trials and farm steals on Hashmal and don't kill him until you get one (i.e. if you fail to get one pause and return to the title screen and reload the autosave in Trial mode to go right back to level 49).

Well poo poo I can't even get to level 30 but thanks. I'll do that when I can get that far.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Haha I love that the TZA mini map feature completely ruins the snow field illusion puzzle thing.

When the door wouldn't open I figured I had to go back through the gates in a certain order so I looked it up and nope you just have to summon Belias at the gate then open the door.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Attitude Indicator posted:

Update on my FFT playthrough: it's inferior to Vandal Hearts by quite a bit, but enjoyable.

thanks for reading.

Lol

*pinches your cheek*

You're cute. :)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

I know it's a XIV thing or whatever but i do not like greg as a name for cool interdimensional swordsman Gilgamesh

I do.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah PS4 version is best because you can use speed up options.

This is the best reason to play the ps4 version.

Also yes item duping works.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Man. Enjoying games. That's wild.

hosed up if true.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Good. I'll buy it. I never played it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

I wanna buy FFIX but the store won't load :(

It's Tuesday. Maintenance.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Speaking of phones, why doesn't Lunafreya have one? Why do she and Noctis have to communicate through messenger dogs? Why don't side quest givers have phones? It's the dumbest thing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The upper section of the great crystal sucks but I found a good map and guide for getting all the best loot and spells.

The fight with Ultima was unfun bullshit but I got it first try by using a dark mote to finish it off.

Definitely not going for platinum on this. I just want to finish the story and move on to another FF. Still trying to decide which one. I want to replay FF13 and FFT but I never played 9 and it looks cool and fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That dude is an rear end in a top hat for not fixing that bug but in the specific context of how grimdark FF2 is it really is a good explanation. All that work for nothing. It's perfect.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

Cloud of Darkness confirmed for Dissidia NT. Does anyone know what kind of dialect or style of speaking she's using?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5mQy_QsYkU

Uhhh... Japanese?

Also why the hell doesn't it have green skin?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

not a one.

Isn't one of the pianos in a hidden room that you can only get to by walking through walls that aren't marked?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Thief passive marks them,but he meant permanently missable

Ah OK that's what I was thinking of. Thanks. I haven't played it in a couple years.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I finished the stupid great crystal and now I'm farming up a couple Ribbons from trial mode and then I'm going to finally finish this game (without platinum because lol) and move on to something else. Still trying to figure out if I want to replay FFT WotL or FF13. I picked up FF9 which I never played but I'm not in the mood for that one right now. I want some nostalgia up in this piece.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ninjewtsu posted:

sitting around doing nothing makes for a very bad game imo, but i'm glad that you guys figured out a way to tolerate it

Do people like you just never look around and appreciate the environments? FF15 has a gorgeous world design with all kinds of cool poo poo to look at and like everyone else said it's cool and fun to listen to old FF soundtracks while doing that.

Are you just always like "it's been 10 whole seconds since I pressed a button this game sucks ugh" with every game?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Countblanc posted:

gonna drop an "lmao" on this one

Yeah you sure humiliated me. Grow up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

People are still confused about the ending? Like....how?

Most gamers are the type of people who skip all cutscenes and then complain that the story sucked and wasn't interesting even though they intentionally avoided it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Frionnel posted:

Final Fantasy 12 is good.

I love it except for the endgame dungeons. That stupid loving Pharos tower is a really annoying slog and oh man if you want to bother trying to get all the best loot in the second part of the great crystal I did lol.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Nice giantess fetish

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Beat FF12 last night. Heck of a ride. I really liked it except for Pharos tower and the optional upper great crystal area which were unfun slogs. I wish they explained what happened to Venat and the Occurrians after the ending. Everyone claimed they broke free from Occurrian control but there's nothing that shows that.

I restarted FF13 after finishing FF12. Still a pretty drat good game after all these years. The graphics don't even seem as outdated as I thought they'd look and the music still completely loving owns. The story is still very poorly told and Snow is still the worst character ever.

Can't wait to get to the part where Lightning punches Snow for being a stupid shounen anime cliche :swoon:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I had thought that was the implication and for some reason I'd thought that the Occurians are somehow destroyed by what you do. I haven't yet beaten the Pharos yet in my playthrough of the Zodiac Age, so I'm remembering from years and years ago, but for whatever reason I finished FF12 thinking they were dead.

Except that after you destroy the Sun Cryst, Venat is still there and possesses Vayne to ostensibly fight against you for reasons I'm having trouble understanding.

It's also pretty important that Vayne says "Sorry Venat, I failed you and you need to find someone else to carry out your plans" then Venat replies with "Well actually you've been more successful than you can imagine", then possesses Vayne and attacks your party.

Was Venat's plan from the beginning to "help" humans break free from Occurrian control only to try to create his own World of Ruin to rule over using Vayne's body as a vessel?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

i can tell you what happened but you won't like it

someone sets off a magic nuke that destroys the entire world and sends it spiraling back into the stone age, literally, and wipes out all the non-human races. have a good day

Where is this mentioned in the game?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFXII is set about 1200 years before Tactics. It's indicated that a catastrophe struck Ivalice about a hundred years after the end of FFXII, taking out the majority of the races.

So it's mentioned in Tactics? I need to go back and play that again. I'll probably do that after I finish 13.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

No, it isn't. It's just a retcon

Again, where, and in what game, is this mentioned? Or is this just fan theory being tossed around in this thread like canon?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't worry, you can always play the DS sequel.

It's on my Christmas list!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What's the Sky Pirate Den? I only played the TZA version.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That sounds rad. Why did they take it out?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

They put in trophies for the same things so I guess it seemed pointless, but people were upset

Yeah they should have had both. I'm not upset over video games or whatever but trophies aren't a substitute for something like that.

Also we need more games that do that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Saint Freak posted:

"So who here has seen a woman before?"

*blank stares from the SE Team, in the back one man begins sobbing*

Oh come on it's all their wank fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was joking, don't play it.

You can't stop me.