Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
From what I've seen, I actually like the dress up system quite a bit mechanically. Each outfit has ATB traits (seems to be in battle starting ATB and bonuses to max ATB) and some skills attached to it, with some offering specialization in magic or other thing. The 13 and 13-2 outfits are plain slates, for example. Nothing locked or special, but probably nice for customization.

Then the equipment, the sword and shield, also have stats and can have skills locked on them. Aerith's flower bouquet shield for example has some upgraded Mediguard attached. Cloud's outfit provides a heavy attack that upgrades itself during the Stagger equivalent in this game. Seems really useful in the early game. (I'm guessing DLC outfits get some close to endgame skills Sso you can use them for most of the game?

Mixing equipment and outfits is also possible, so you can have Cloud with the Flower Bouquet and the Moogle Staff. Then you can set and upgrade the attacks you put on each outfit.

Summary: I'll be spending lots of time in menus in this game.

Fake edit: Looking for a picture of the equipment screen, but I'm pretty sure its one fashion accessory per outfit - so glasses or moustache. Although you can switch between them in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Having trouble linking to a picture from my phone, but it looks like there's two slots for accessories attributed to stats, abilities, ect. and one for just visual items. No idea if all three are visible.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Gaseous Snake posted:

There's a chance we in the not-Japan will be able to get it without the guide but I'm not crossing my fingers.

All that means is it'll be DLC or a location specific pre-order instead.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
They've preassembled sets for you in the demo. You can group together any outfit, weapon, shield and set of four skills to assemble a role or costume. The exception being some equipment have skills locked into them.

The outfits themselves are geared towards strength or magic or whatever, but nothing's stopping you from dressing like a black mage with a buster sword and physical skills.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Veks posted:

That was Serah's gift. You would know this if you had read the datalog or the novels (Which are only available as fan translations). :v:

I think Snow mentions it to Hope that it was Serah's gift to Lightning after their dramatic confrontation.

Also, why couldn't Serah just rip off her bandage and show Lightning the brand? The way the public seemed to react to l'cie made it seem like no one would believe it just like that coupled with casually mentioning you're marrying Snow.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

W.T. Fits posted:

Not really. Even without needing to look it up in the datalogs, you could tell that Lightning was really not comfortable with Hope's plan to kill Snow as soon as he told her about it. She just doesn't actively attempt to talk him out of it until after her "Oh my god we're all pets" epiphany.

Snow and Serah are really lucky she didn't open the present while they were still there. Because then she would have definitely been on board with the plan.

"Hi Sis! I'm calling you sis since I'm marrying your sister! By the way she's a Pulse l'Cie now. We got you this knife! I bought you salad."

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Solice Kirsk posted:

So could any one spoil the plot of Lightning Returns for me? Or point me to a previous post with a run down? I need it to spoil some one in my fantasy football league...its a long stupid story.

No idea what you want to spoil, but here's all I know about the plot. Pretty sure this spoils everything, so....

So Bhunivelse (Light God and totally not evil) revives Lightning as the world enters the last 13 days. The gods have decided that welp, we can't beat Chaos or whatever so we'll just make a new world. Don't want to get new people so Light can deliver the souls to the new world. Lightning agrees so she can save Serah.

Bhunivelse recruits Hope and turns him in to his young form from XIII cause apparently the staff voted for young Hope? There's a weird reason provided later. So Lightning goes around collecting souls with Hope's help.

The four lands each have a story, Luxerion has Noel who is all BLAH BLAH YUEL BE SORRY, and has given up hope. Party City Snowville(not the actual name) has Snow, who is so depressed his underage girlfriend is dead he's being consumed by Chaos, and is obviously saved by Lightning. Noel and Snow reveal at the end of FFXIII-2, they all decided to find a way to stop chaos. Didn't work out.

The Dead Dunes has Fang, who isn't ridiculously depressed for a change, and is looking for Vanille, who is some magical priestess now. The Wildlands has a MAGICAL CHOCOBO which is actually ODIN. You can apparently name it. It also has Sazh, who is depressed since Dajh is gone and Mog, who is sad for failing to protect Serah. I think Caius is here as well as Yuel?

Throughout this whole thing, Lightning is being annoyed by Lumina, who looks exactly like Serah pretty much. She turns out to be a sealed away part of Lightning when she had to grow up when she lost her parents or something.

Anyways, close to the end of the 13 days, Vanille needs to preform a ritual to purge all sorts of dead souls, but then Lightning and Snow and everyone come help and Fang helps guide the souls to Bhunivelse. Surprise, he's twisted and evil and apparently kidnaps/kills/steals the souls of Lightning's friends.

Hope is the vessel for Bunny since he is a symbol of purity (??????) and he's more of a symbol when he's young, which explains (???) why Bunny made all the effort to change him to his younger self.

Dramatic battle time, Lightning uses that dagger from the first game to stab BunnyVase in order to awaken Hope since it's symbolic. It works, Hope gets to see Nora and Bart for like a second, but comes back since Lightning is being all self-sacrificial. Then literally EVERYONE shows up to finish up Bunny including the Eidolons from the first game, there are dramatic space explosions. Serah is back and everything is happy.

The souls of the world form a giant crystal, and then everyone says goodbye as Lightning makes a NEW WORLD, which is Earth. Mog and the Eidolons aren't allowed. Epilogue is CLAIRE/ECLAIR waking up and getting off a train in France.

Short version
World is screwed. Lighting kills a bad god, makes a new world which is our world, lives in France now.

Could have mistakes, but honestly, how much do you care?

Fake edit:
Completely forgot about Caius, who stays behind because only he can hold back the Chaos or something, along with like 50 Yeuls. So he's dead. The "Last" Yeul, or the one Noel has the hots for, gets to go to the new world. No idea where Raines comes in. I think somewhere in the Vanille plot.

Remember Bhakti? Even he gets a sidequest. Apparently sort of emotional for some reason.

Actual edit:^ I should have posted sooner - hope you're not typing up too much. Sorry... Actually gonna rewrite some of this to make it a bit clearer.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 30, 2013

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Could it be this one? I think it's partly pre-release, but it didn't get that much better.

Squallege posted:

Stoic and awkward sexy pose all at once. Like a beautiful rose.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I want Lightning to be added to every FF remake, sequel, spin-off and port. :unsmigghh:
And then for it to be revealed that she retroactively helped them, with the most asinine, retconnish poo poo the writers can pull out of their asses.

In FFTA, Lightning inspires Marche to guide all the souls and destroy Ivalice to a new world where she is the goddess.

In Crystal Chronicles Lightning dispels all the Miasma and becomes a magical crystal to keep it at bay forever.

In Chocobo Tales, Lightning writes the ultimate storybook that saves the world.

She also somehow becomes a Princess of Heart in Kingdom Hearts 3.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Schwartzcough posted:

That being said, I watched a couple minutes of some streams, and people were getting like .04 EP per battle, and battles were rare. That would require 25 battles to get a single EP for Chronostasis. I'm guessing you can't use it all that liberally early on.

The EP received depends on difficulty and what you're fighting. Easy mode will almost double your gains, while lowering the EP costs for some abilities, and you don't have a time penalty for escaping from battles - so you'll have a lot more time on Easy if you want to take it slow.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Fedule posted:

The game's got flaws, too. EG: I don't like how several sidequests don't give you map markers even when they really should; it makes finding vaguely described places we've ostensibly been given directions to a bit irritating.

It's a small thing, but it took me a really long time to realize you can actually place markers on the map. Made Luka and Armand (multi-day Luxerion quests) less annoying, especially when you try searching for them at the wrong time and can't tell whether you can find them or if they're just not there.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

That loving Sned posted:

Do any of the game's costumes do anything with her hair?

Outside of sticking an afro in her hair as an accessory, and hats slightly smoothing out her hair, no.

Chose stuff at random for the picture.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
The Veo Lu Sluice song (Promised Grace - from Crystal Chronicles) is going to be DLC in Curtain Call. I'm unreasonably excited about this game now.

Source

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

precision posted:

Lightning Returns question: I know I'm not supposed to be worrying about running out of time, but are there any (or many) quests I'll get locked out of by letting time progress?

Just to add on to what other people said, there are a few sidequests that happen during the Yusnaan Main Quest to collect fireworks - I believe you get locked out of those once you complete the Main Quest.

It's pretty easy to get 10 fireworks too so you could miss some of these pretty easily.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I don't think anything tops the Ritardando Sewers in Eternal Sonata for sewer levels. It's a combination of being the first dungeon so the level is short and it's as pretty as a sewer could ever get.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Every Battle on the Big Bridge is the best Battle on the Big Bridge in the series.

I was super stoked when I realized the second song you unlock from Chocobo Dungeon in Curtain Call is a remix I'd never heard before.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-EoYkiabo

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Gologle posted:

Why would you do that.

If you miss the plot relevant characters you need to talk to at the beginning of the game, you might actually think being told to introduce yourself to the people in the mall means talk to everyone.

I think you only actually need to find the Cafe and talk to Nokia, but it's weird to navigate the mall first time with the one way escalator that brings you up two floors and the changing camera angles.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Oxxidation posted:

Velvet Bouncer will always have a place in my heart, though it really shows off Lightning's bizarre noodly proportions.

I can't find my Velvet Bouncer screenshot right now so have a second fiddle instead.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

AlphaKretin posted:

E: ...were those Meonektons there before? Guess that exact claim is inaccurate but it was 3 in short succession.

Meonektons are the replacement monster pretty much. They have a impossibly high count to extinct (65535, I think?) so they'll show up more as you beat more Lost Ones. There's another way to deal with them specifically along with any other Lost Ones you might have missed.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
9 starts off really strong, so while I do think Disc 3 and 4 are slightly weaker, they're still pretty great. I could see some frustration coming from the Desert Palace and forced Quina sections of Disc 3. It also starts off with Tetra Master and I know a lot of people gate that.

As someone who liked Quina and had Level 5 Death for the Desert Palace, I had none of these problems.

One of the Roos is my low point, I think Fossil Roo? I don't remember liking either though.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Mega64 posted:

So that's, what, all the mainline FF's on Steam now besides 1, 2, and 12?

e: And all the sequels too (besides Revenant Wings and the FF5 anime but who even remembers those two exist anyway)

Vaan gets a shirt so I remember Revenant Wings (and FFTA2). It also makes Ashe a Time Mage who equips Bombs which is a cool choice.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Hamsterlady posted:

The worst voice actor is easily Yuna, who has no emotions whatsoever in any of her lines.

Other than her, I thought they were all acceptable, if taking a noticeable dip when lip flaps were complicated.

Yuna only gets Real Emotion in FFX-2, and even then not really :v:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Sarah/Sara/Serah is the main recurring FF name right?

1, 3, 9 and 13 had one off the top of my head.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Well, other then Cid that is. :v:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who was it in 9? Drawing a blank here.

Garnet.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Gologle posted:

What does the P stand for?

Police, apparently.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I was addicted to the auction house when I played to get all the best items. Also unlocking the second continent is the flag for getting Gria and Seeq available for recruiting so I spent a lot of time getting them too.

I think I was always overlevelled in A2. The side stuff is too much fun, and the main story is less interesting then most of the sidequests plots.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I think Sazh ends up the best SEN in your party. Even with just Provoke, having a SEN in your party reduces party damage taken so SEN/MED/MED will still work okay without a ridiculous investment in Sazh's SEN Crystarium.

I spent a good portion of the game with Hope/Vanille/Sazh AKA team Launch-less and still had fun with it, so don't worry too much. I did give Hope Commando since he learns Ruin really quickly (it might be the first node?) and before learning Attack.

Generally sub roles are avoidable, but if it's giving your party a role you're missing it's not that bad, or giving Fang Ravager.

Edit: But probably don't go past the first stage of the Crystarium, unlocking the role is the bigger thing. The CP costs get really big and it's more worth it to invest in your primary roles.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 9, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
If the game just let you tank through whatever and take a long time on bosses the game would get exponentially worse with each passing boss. If Dahaka just let you pass by tanking through, every boss after would just get longer and longer and there are some challenging bosses up ahead. Roach's mech thing would be a nightmare if you didn't understand the game mechanics.

I think the game has a bigger issue not explaining stagger mechanics well. The game is needlessly wordy and embellished when trying to explain things at times, but also expects you to pick up all the subtle mechanics without explanation.

Like, the first Sazh/Vanille section is probably there to teach you that you need Commandos to stagger things properly since Sazh doesn't have it yet, and how without COMs the stagger bar grows really quickly but drains even faster.

A lot of the bosses of the two person segments tend to become easier with using new skills you've gained in the last Crystarium segment, like Hope's Bar-element skills for Astrabulbasaurion, Protect and Shell for Odin, Slow for almost any boss after getting Fang because it's the only debuff they bothered giving her beside Curse early on. It's an attempt at teaching? If you pay attention, things begin to click and you get better, but it's really easy to miss a lot of these things and the battles just get harder.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Artix posted:

The first Sazh/Vanille section is to teach you that Saboteurs are almost as good as Commandos at stopping the stagger gauge (with a side helping of making you figure out how to stagger folks with double Ravagers). FF13 is actually really good about making you learn by doing rather than shove a giant tutorial in your face, but the things it does give you a tutorial for are borderline useless and it doesn't tell you a lot of poo poo it really should.

I think it would've gone better if they put you in control of Vanille to teach that though. If she gets lucky getting debuffs to land, she'll switch targets quickly then do nothing so staggering could still be hard, if I'm remembering the SAB AI properly. Or you can be the type of person who does SYN/SAB to RAV/RAV to get the buffs and debuffs out of the way quickly and never stumble upon RAV/SAB, although there are only 6 possible paradigm combinations at that point so you probably should be trying it eventually.

It also immediately follows up with the 3 way battles where you could mix up the SABs stagger effects with what the other enemies are doing since they also act as COMs a little for staggering.

I honestly did enjoy when the game was subtle in teaching something, it just contrasts so wildly with the over explained simple stuff it seemed unintentional at times.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 11, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
My first was Crystal Chronicles, and while it's not my favourite, it's still my favourite Moogle design. FFTA was the second one I played and I loved it, but FFIX is my favourite game. I played that only last year, so it doesn't really fit the trend.

Also, my first mainline FF was Dawn of Souls of FF I & II, so other then liking II more then most people, I don't really put them up as my favourites.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Would you rather have desert or sewer levels?

Ice levels with sliding puzzles please.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I can't believe XIII didn't get Sunleth Waterscape. I guess vocal tracks could be harder to get rights to use or something? Battle on the Big Bridge being represented in 3 ways is great though.

Also, I wish XIII-2 was featured because I just want to blast Crazy Chocobo from my car all the time.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait wait wait

Does the FFX (in XV) soundtrack really not have To Zanarkand?

WHAT.

You have the Dissidia version of Movement in Green, which is pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GrYUm6m3PI

Captain Baal posted:

Amazing WOFF music

Honestly so many of the WoFF remixed tracks are great. I even like Chocolatte's theme for probably my favourite rendition of the XIII-2 theme mixed into the Chocobo music.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Good question!

On arcade! :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqnAQD5ba7I

edit: too slow.

Also, I do like how in the background of every stage, there seems to just be Chocobos running around no matter where the stage is. The fake album art for the songs with the Theatrhythm art style are pretty cool too.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 5, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Schwartzcough posted:

Is there a way to move between songs in FFXV other than advancing one song at a time through your entire collection? Being able to advance an album at a time or something would be nice.

You can hold down to switch between albums instead of songs.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I ran into the Naga yesterday and just gave up and hopped out. I'm building up EXP so I can stay in the expensive hotel, but once that's done I'm going to a campground, cooking the status resistance food and running back in to finish the job.

I've had enough trouble with status effects in the Camp battles (only time I've hated Prompto, although him singing the FF Victory Music to preempt his 1-hit k.o. attack is amazing sound design but seriously stop turning me into a frog).

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Pureauthor posted:

Apparently FFXV has a bit of an update roadmap planned out.

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201612070039/

Short Term: Improving Chapter 13's gameplay

Mid Term: More cutscenes to explain more about Ravus

Long Term: More playable characters, it looks like. Possible 'Original Character/Avatar' system.

Just sticking it in spoilers to be safe:
A little too late on the Chapter 13 stuff, but if they do go through with the New Game Plus update, just making the ring charge faster, and letting you actually run in Chapter 13 would be amazing. I understand what they were trying, but I ended up playing it like a Zelda game and rolling to make Noctis move faster.

I personally didn't care about Ravus, but he should probably get something in between "I'm super strong and hate Noctis" and "I was good all along and I'm a monster now please kill me". I was really surprised he didn't get a proper boss fight like Aranea did.

If you can stick Iris, Cor and Aranea in the party permanently for the post game stuff that would be fun. If only for more photo opportunities.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Considering adding cutscenes require voice acting (in four languages for XV), and if they go through with avatar creation for multiplayer they'd need voices for that too.

Not really the best about estimating game dev times, but It could be a year before all of these roll out. :v:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Pretty much. He does nothing. He's there just for some exposition then goes off to "spy on the imperials", and shows up for the goodbye boat scene.

Maybe if he wasn't so lazy he could save everyone's favourite and most important character, Jared.

I think Talcott says he works with Iris hunting Daemons or trained Prompto and the others while Noctis was gone or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ImpAtom posted:

IIRC Ayesha was the last one that Nippon-Ichi had any translation assistance on. Since then Atelier games have been done entirely by K-T (and their translation quality has suffered comparatively! Atelier Shallie literally released with a game-breaking bug. Not that NISA is a stranger to that...)

I'm still pissed about how they managed to launch Totori Plus on PSN with literally no announcement. The weird translation mistakes and inconsistencies and the bug in Shallie were just icing on the cake.

Sophie is on sale on PSN and I'm trying to decide whether to buy it. They're porting Sophie and Firis to steam too.

That said, K-T is bringing Opoona back for a Musou game though so I'm contractually obligated to love them. I miss Opoona.