Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Please do not do anything with Pokemon unless you are a super creative person of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Unless you can add silly drawings (you haven't) or you're a great writer (you aren't) you're probably going to rely on being informative.

I am wondering if we should make the new condition, even before asking permission, that you NEED to have demonstrable ability of some kind. Like some kind of CV for I Can Be Funny Here, Let Me Do Pokemon. Submit a writing sample and portfolio or some poo poo.

Because frankly ungulateman, nothing you have brought to the table has shown that you shouldn't just get your permission taken away :unsmigghh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Proteus, you whining about Pokemon LPs is literally starting to get more annoying than bad Pokemon test posts at this point. And those are pretty loving annoying.

Let's please stop talking about this, yes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

MeccaPrime posted:

It's obviously because I returned to LPing. :smug:

But seriously, that's a bit strange... more than Games? GBS? wow...

Part of it is that Diablo 3 is sapping views from other forums right now. Beyond that, I am just guessing it's because LPs are Internet Popular.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
As we say repeatedly, report people who are creepy. We hit for it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
This entire conversation is getting kind of stupid in both the self/LPer pity and the pointless amounts of "BETTER/WORSE/THE SAME AS YOUTUBE" arguing. The former is too late to matter, the latter just doesn't matter at all.

As I said, if you see someone being creepy about it, report them. Otherwise, who cares? It's not against the rules to discuss voices, it is against the rules to be creepy about it. That's it.

If you feel that much about it, maybe you should consider actually reporting people being creepy about it in the future. There's a thought.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It is awful that that happened, yes. We do not need everyone giving their own no-content "WHOAH OH MY THAT IS CREEPY AS HECK" reply. I'm pretty sure almost everyone finds that hosed up. But it happens occasionally. My apologies that you had to deal with that, PoorWeather!

But since some people seem to have some confusion about how our community works or whatever, let me say something:

All communities, societies, whatever, have undesirables or other elements that take advantage of or otherwise contradict the desired purpose of the community as a whole. In real life, removing "undesirables" is often a bad thing since it's often just prejudices and ignorance of general living conditions. Denying someone a right to live in a community "IRL" since ~ whatever ~ when it's non-criminal is bad, even if they're probably otherwise awful. But in an internet community like our own, a place for personal recreation and enjoyment of people that the community as a whole likes, there is little need for tolerating our "undesirables", be they weirdos, creeps, obnoxious folks, idiots, racists, children, lovely trolls, or whatever.

But it's not like people spending ten dollars to join our forum somehow makes them good and not a member of the aforementioned group. It doesn't automatically make the community a quality one. It just helps keeps out children and makes punishment possible for those that continually violate our rules (and even that isn't concrete, see the thousands of dollars IWC has spent on registering accounts).

The way Something Awful "works" and hopefully to you becomes something "good" is by actively taking stances against shittiness and being non-lovely yourself. This includes reporting people who break the rules so we can let them know how awful they are being by probating/banning them, personally discouraging lovely posting in ways that don't derail threads completely, and being a good example yourself by contributing "excellently". Hopefully by being funny!

Everything else is just unfiltered internet, unfiltered humanity. You'll find good content and good contributions, bad content and bad contributions, and plenty of people acting like loving weirdos because their mom will never know. That happens. Some people like that. Some of the people that like that are people we don't like. They don't have to be here. We try to filter things here so it's more enjoyable and less lovely. But that filtering process takes time and effort.

Something Awful as a community isn't this perfect place where everything is hunky dory 100% flawless. It's a funny website's forum where we try to keep things fun, interesting, and content-filled by routinely and actively trying to make the forum better on a continual basis. We're pursuing the platonic ideal of a funny and interesting internet forum. It won't ever be perfect or flawless, but we can keep at it and hopefully it will continue to improve over time.

Hopefully you will be by and large able to have fun here on Something Awful and help it keep being fun by being a Good Poster and helping stop Bad Posters. The power is yours.

:thumbsup:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is there an easy to way to report people without having Platinum, or should I just buy Platinum?

Platinum is the best way; it's the most organized, easiest, fastest way for both you and us to address problems, and it has admin supervision. The report function is limited to Platinum for the simple reason that having it "free" just resulted in an overflow of erroneous reports. It's a filter.

You can also email me or slowbeef, message either of us on AIM (check our profiles), or even contact me on IRC. You could also PM us but you need Platinum for that too. Just keep in mind that we aren't always around or able to deal with things we get sent to us this way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Why not then just record both windows, but crop and zoom onto the "active" play screen as the main resolution and view, and just do the double screen "letterboxed" when you need it? You can just transition between the two pretty smoothly I'd think.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

The "smooth transition" is the problem, as I'm just using AVISynth to edit the videos...I guess there are scripts to do anything, but I'm not really that into the program.

AviSynth has very simple video transition stuff you can do. It's pretty much one line things you can copy paste.

My approach to this kind of thing would be to record both screens at a doubled resolution on the emulator, then crop down for the bottom screen. Then when you want to show both screens, transition to the double-screen at a 50%-recorded-resolution and letterbox it. Then just transition to the main screen when not using it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Shoopuf posted:

There was a Sonic Rush LP around that did something like what you're describing. I can't seem to find it in the Master List, though, so I can't provide an example to help. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

fake edit: No wait, I found it. It was apparently abandoned, but the technique still stands. Is this what you mean?

Yeah that was basically my idea of approaching it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Guys holy poo poo get over it. Who cares that much? You. Should you? Absolutely loving not.

If you don't like the LP, that's fine. It can exist despite your own dislike. There's lots of LPs that exist that I don't care for for a myriad of reasons. I'm sure I have been involved in LPs that some of you rather disliked, too! The point of the Sandcastle is criticism and discussion. This really is not that.

Dave_o has his thread, people will either watch his LP or not at this point, the applicability of suggestions/criticism or whatever have passed. Move on.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

Guys holy poo poo get over it. Who cares that much? You. Should you? Absolutely loving not.

If you don't like the LP, that's fine. It can exist despite your own dislike. There's lots of LPs that exist that I don't care for for a myriad of reasons. I'm sure I have been involved in LPs that some of you rather disliked, too! The point of the Sandcastle is criticism and discussion. This really is not that.

Dave_o has his thread, people will either watch his LP or not at this point, the applicability of suggestions/criticism or whatever have passed. Move on.

Yo guys this was me telling you to stop talking about this. In case it wasn't clear enough or something.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'd just like to thank LP collectively for the major drop in drama we've been having lately. It's been awhile since we've really had any major flares in stupid infighting or offensively awful Let's Plays or abject creepiness or whatever. So thanks! Keep it up.

As a side note, slowbeef is going to be posting a slightly updated version of the Let's Play rules soon, so keep an eye out for that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Stratafyre posted:

Bubblegum Tank Police in the Shell - Let's Play Oni!

Your commentary audio is really muted and doesn't have a really natural "roundness" at the edges. Either your microphone is really cheap, or you've really overproduced your commentary audio when processing it. Possibly by overcompressing or by going too aggressive with noise reduction.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Stratafyre posted:

The sensitivity is definitely too high with my microphone, I'll see if I can get it down to a more manageable degree, I was picking up excess sounds even when I was recording at home, Noise Reduction just ate a lot less of my actual voice there.

Beyond what was said re: focusing only on the noise, a trick that exists is to be less agressive than you expect and leave a bit of noise in on the base commentary track. As games usually feature some level of background noise/music, it's often the case that if you leave a wee bit of noise in, it's totally inaudible when overlaid over a game anyway. So the end result is that your own audio would sound better and the noise, while present, would be so quiet that it's indistinguishable from game noise.

Make sure to have mic boost off! Never have mic boost on.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
:siren: PROBATION ESCALATION IS IN EFFECT FOR THE FOLLOWING INFRACTIONS: Violating Spoiler Rules :siren:

People keep ignoring spoiler rules! They simply can't not talk about Final Fantasy Events That Have Yet To Occur. The magnitude of them are so heavy on their very being that they can't be bothered to pay attention to things like OPs requesting that their threads be spoiler-free. And blind-ish LPs? poo poo, what better time to talk about Things That Have Yet To Happen!

So, in order to keep up with this Atlas-like burden on their shoulders, we're forced to escalate all probations for violation of spoiler rules for the near future. That means all such probations are level +1. When we feel a post would normally get a day, we'll give it three. Three, a week. A week? A month.

This may seem unfair to you, particularly if you don't actually pay attention to things like spoiler rules.

That's the point.

And please do not respond to said probations with any weird hysterics, such as, I don't know, PMing me pictures of you biting your arm and begging me to dictate how you should punish your balls and whatever to make up for your failure to follow the rules. Do not do this thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Do whatever works for you. Audience involvement is one way to get people, as obvious as it may seem, very involved in the LP as a whole. It forms a personal connection. It results in the sort of crowd sourced ridiculousness that can make things very amusing, even in the schizoid wandering path it may take. Carefully picking the best or silliest ideas out of suggestions is something of an "art" in and of itself, and it can create a very entertaining tale. That's how most early LPs worked, after all.

At the same time, focusing on your own thing can reduce the chance of people "ruining" your vision or hampering your attempt to very strictly or very accurately / completely capture a game. If keeping things entirely on yourself makes for a better LP, than certainly this is a good choice.

It really depends on the game, your personal approach, as well as your personal talents. And of course, how you execute audience participation can be very dynamic depending. Almost every LP involves audience participation in some way; after all, we are a discussion thread, and often the audience contributes interesting thoughts, art, ideas, or whatever. You can Energize Your LP Base in non-standard ways if you are creative and talented. Also entertaining.

Remember: LPs are a pseudoartform, a bunch of media-types piled ontop of videogames. You're using someone else's art to create something entertaining. Do whatever the hell you think will make it better than someone else just playing it themselves. If you can't, well, don't bother!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Proteus4994 posted:

You shouldn't be posting spoilers when the OP says no spoilers. You get whatever the mods hand out.

There's nobody out there going "Well, if I only get probated for 3 days, I'm gonna post some spoilers, but if it's for an entire week I won't!"

Bingo. I mentioned it more for everyone else who doesn't post spoilers so they know that we are getting more aggressive about it.

Sod those that do.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zain posted:

Alrighty, so I just got a little clip of everything people have addressed so far.

Dark Souls TEST CLIP I've lowered the gamma, decreased the game volume, and I hopefully got rid of the screen blending. Anything else is still subject to change from the original video.

Is there anything else?

Well, assuming this is the PC version, it's worth noting that the new content still is subject to the three month rule...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Does anyone get a lot of complaints off-site about the level of cursing present in the commentary? I presume Chorocojo and I aren't the only people who say "gently caress" a lot.

I mean admittedly yeah we do swear like, well, a sailor and a physicist, but seriously. Is this really a weird sticking point to people?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hey everyone: our good friend and LP Overlord Slowbeef is now married! Give him your congratulations!

(Congratulations Slowbeef!)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Akbar posted:

Tales of Game's Studios are making a sequel to the greatest indie RPG of all time. Prepare yourselves for Barkley 2.

I fully expect an LP for this treasure of treasures.

While this is great news, I'm not sure it's really worth mentioning in here. We have a whole actual Games forum for discussing games and games announcements.

Wow!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Poor fella missed the LP request thread by this much.

I would also not recommend posting LP requests for games that are barely even announced yet.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Akbar posted:

Yeah, I figured since LP was the forum that introduced me to CBB:SUJ:G in the first place (and that I had no idea where to post in Games since it's all megathreads now), I'd put up a little mention in the Sandcastle.

Here's a thought: you could have made a thread

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hey guys, while I've already posted this LP I'd really like to possibly get some feedback in terms of recording settings and quality for future recordings.

I am getting increasingly anal about tweaking the audio and video quality (probably too much so; hence why I've already gone ahead with posting it since it was getting a bit insane), but I realize there's only so much I can actually do with a Wii capture to make it look "good". I don't have any specific questions, but I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you lot have.

Nothing really sticks out to me to be concerned about, but I'm paranoid since I want this to be the best result possible for people, if only technically.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

flamedrake posted:

I've noticed that HD PVR captures tend to come out a little too grey and a little too soft by default. Adjusting the levels and sharpening it slightly help a lot; the level change in particular will really make the colors stand out a lot more. Here's the settings I cobbled together real quick:

code:
Levels(10, 1, 245, 0, 255)
Sharpen(0.2)
1. before - after
2. before - after
3. before - after (the sharpness change is most apparent in this one)

I'd recommend spending some time with it to find the best settings for this game.

Another thing that should help: the video is running at 60 fps (well ok, 59.94, but you know what I mean) whereas the game itself only renders in 30. Cutting the framerate down should help with the overall encoding quality; you're basically encoding 50% wasted frames. It's not gonna be an amazing change but it should help it stay more consistent.

I've noticed the color thing, this is actually after me already adjusting the brightness / contrast since for some reason the HD PVR default settings are wonky for that. I didn't try tweaking the colors though; I'll definitely give that a shot in the future.

I am concerned about the issue with oversharpening too much in post though, since it tends to emphasize artifacting.

And yeah, I should really dial down the FPS.

Thanks for the insight!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Ok here's the deal NoSuperman: an LP without an actual update is completely worthless and not worth looking at, period. There's no reason for the thread to exist or for a test post to exist without an update to show for it.

I understand wanting to get poo poo done early. That's fine! But you can spend time getting your updates ready before posting them, just saving them until everything is ready to show off.

I've been tweaking my Endless Ocean: Blue World LP since early September, thread and updates all. That's a bit unrealistic in terms of expectations for everyone, but it's an example of what I mean. You can have your thread and updates ready for when you post it, review the quality so on, without actually posting it.

Frankly unless you have nothing done to show for it, you shouldn't post about it. Period.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 17, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tithin Melias posted:

Has this been discussed itt yet? Basically sega is hitting every single Shining Force video they can find on Youtube with a takedown notice regardless of context, but mostly it's LP's being hit. (yeah, I know this is two weeks old or so, but I've not been reading this thread too dilligently lately)

This honestly doesn't surprise me. Sega is a pretty typical Japanese Media Industry Studio, which default to "deathly afraid of internet media" and don't comprehend that any stuff on YouTube etc ultimately serve just to advertise their game(s) and media.

It's the reason that many anime studios will aggressively take down openings and advertisements for their series on YouTube. You'd think having people able to see what their thing is would be good advertisement, but they'd rather nobody have "stolen" media than potentially reap the wind.

It's not going to change our policies regardless.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 8, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Please, just shut up OFS.

I hit people for derailing when it is awful and it is quite often awful. Is a derail is remotely interesting and doesn't break instructions or belong somewhere else, such a derail can exist. It almost always doesn't.

Silly things are fine. Lots of goofy fanart come out of those threads. The issue is people talking about things that really equivocate to "The gently caress is a megathread?" Which means they're largely contributing things that are of minimal worth and belong in a general discussion thread anyway, and have nothing at all to do with the LP in question.

General positive reinforcement posts are fine, I feel, since authors do need some level of positive feedback in order to continue. The line between that and white noise is admittedly thin, yes, but there is a line.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 28, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Please do not report people for criticizing your Sandcastle test post. It is very much in bad taste and is a very good way to receive a reversal of fortune.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to contest youtube account suspensions? I just got an email with three penalties from 2007 and a standard "multiple notifications from content owners" script.

Not unless you legitimately hold the right to that content, no.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Aaaaa there's a Visual Novel thread in ADTRW, just discuss poo poo in there. If you want to a LP a thing, whatever. Just don't LP offensively creepy poo poo.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

gunsage posted:

What I usually do with these is play them a bit without commentary to see if it's something I can even comment on at all. If it's something that's at least halfway fun that I can comment on, then I go back and do a one episode LP of it.

Here are some words I have said on Let's Plays in the past. I think they still hold.

Zorak posted:

What's important is effort. Effort can be you doing a really good playthrough, being really funny by yourself / with your friends, doing something unique, or even just doing a solid no-nonsense playthrough of a game with good production values that encapsulates the game in question well.

Effort is the crux of what is desired on Something Awful in terms of posting. People should be saying interesting things that add to discussions, or saying funny things, or just being insightful. Producing cool poo poo with your talents? That's incredibly effortful. Let's Plays are inherently an extension of that, and why they took off so much here.

The most popular Let's Plays on Something Awful are almost all uniformly ones that involve some modicum of effort or base talent. Ideally all Let's Plays involve some degree of effort / talent, but not all people are the same and so on.

I think the point where the "game" fits in is less that it's often the driving focus for the effort. If you enjoy or even hate a game, or just want to really present a game to people, that self-investment leads to great degrees of effort on the part of the author, one way or another, which tends to result in a good Let's Play. The game drives the author who drives the Let's Play.

Some examples of what I mean:
  • Pokecapn and gang have clearly been wanting to do 4 Swords for ages, and have spent quite a lot of time, and money, setting up their 4 Swords LP. The result after all the planning, technical design, and a bunch of funny dudes in a room? A really good and unique Let's Play that you'd never see ever from another group. It's a totally unique Let's Play that really fits. Lots of technical effort, but also people who are actually funny and are playing a game interestingly.
  • Psychadelic Eyeball clearly likes Super Meat Boy and is really loving good at it. He's clearly very thorough about capturing the experience of the game and presenting it in a really good way. Psyche is consistent about this throughout the games he's LPed: he plays often very hard games very well, is very interesting and has a lot of information, and is a funny guy. His Let's Plays are uniquely him, and he clearly likes the games he plays!
  • Research Indicates clearly did his research about Jurassic Park Trespasser, liked the game for its faults, knew the faults oh too well, and wanted to show a crucial piece of gaming history to everyone. He has a really good presentation voice as well, which when added upon his own interest in the game really produces an LP that still stands up well despite that it was made years ago.
  • Chip Cheezum clearly likes all the games he LPs a lot, he has interesting company, is a funny guy, and puts a lot of effort into producing and editing his LPs. He clearly picks games he likes and plays them because he wants to share them with people.
Let's Plays are not just about [here is game footage beep boop]. That's just a Long Play. Let's Plays are also not just Wacky Internet Sensation Man. Or at least, it shouldn't be, because that's dull and awful. Let's Plays are about expressing a game to people. It's about a game, and your self.

You should really be feeling something when Let's Play, and in turn you should put some effort into what you're doing. There's nothing worse than "hi, i'm guy, here's a thing, I guess." If you clearly don't feel anything at all while doing a Let's Play, your prospective audience isn't going to give a poo poo either.

You can be simply a "funny guy", yes. There are a lot of really funny Let's Players. But Let's Play isn't stand up, and generally speaking folks need something interesting to joke about, one way or another.

I am of the opinion that any game, any game, can effectively be Let's Played. But not everyone can effectively Let's Play any game. You have to use a style that matches and plays off the game in question.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 18, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I DON'T WANT PAN

but seriously no more pan puns

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
LP a thing you like. If you can't think of a thing you like enough that you particularly want to share it with people, don't make an LP.

Really bloody simple. There's no need to go over "candidates of things to LP" or whatever. If you seriously need to go wavering about on what to make a Let's Play, or otherwise need people giving you advise on what games to do, don't do one, because if you do it will most likely suck.

How about we get back to more Sandcastlesque topics rather than continuing this pointless topic of discussion?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Let's Play will die with a VLP of a new, ultra-realistic, character driven licensing of Oregon Trail.

BioWare Oregon Trail would probably cause all of the games forums simultaneously to catch fire.

Also, with regards to the "bringing something new to the table" thing: there is no rule or requirement for that by any means, no. It does sometimes seem rather pointless to do an LP of a game that has had a really solid LP of it before, but on the other hand: it doesn't really matter? If people enjoy watching it and you enjoy making it and it's interesting in some way, why not?

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 28, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
None of this is on topic.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'd warn to be careful with going a bit overkill with editing though; it's very easy to turn an LP into a second job that lasts forever if you decide you need to have every little thing be perfect. Put the effort in, but I wouldn't worry too hard about overworld music cutting in and out. If you clip the tracks properly and fade in / out, you can usually make transitions sound fairly natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is what it says. You can see the section of video which is clearly from the first Kingdom Hearts, and I put some dumb filters over. I have no idea if LP's count as fair use or not, but that would be the only thing I could dispute this on.

EDIT: It's a content ID claim and not a full copyright claim so if I delete the video, the claim goes away and there are no long-term repercussions.

Well, Square Enix does own the rights to it. You can't contest it. Just delete the section and move on.

It's a dick move but welcome to the machine.

• Locked thread