Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bought this game earlier in the week. It's pretty drat cool, ultrageneric and uninteresting setting aside.

I started out as a strider, maxed out that vocation, then switched to assassin which I'm also nearly finished with. I want to just keep playing strider/assassin, but the +20% and +10% strength augments from warrior and fighter look extremely appealing, and some of the others don't look bad either. Is there any way for me to grind those two vocations up to max real quickly so that I don't need to spend the next 20 hours or whatever playing classes I'm not interested in?

Also, any tips for a healing mage pawn? What inclinations should I be looking at, and which spells other than the obvious healing/curing/elemental weapon ones? I feel like maybe I have something on there that she's too busy casting all the time to bother giving me weapon buffs. It's pretty annoying when I'm trying to shoot a gryphon's wings and my pawn is doing who the gently caress knows what for several minutes rather than setting my bow on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is there any reason to use the dagger heavy attack when climbing an enemy? The big, slow stab. Feels like I get way, way less damage in spamming that than I do the light attack. And on a related note, just how much better is hundred kisses? I don't really like using the ability because there are way more fun ones and slots are so limited, but the 3 skills I'm taking along really don't do any good at all against bosses. I just wanna have fun comboing dudes all over the place without gimping myself :(

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Haha, I thought the Bluemoon griffin was just scripted to fly away shortly after you first encounter it outside Gran Soren, and there was no way to stop that from happening. Nope. This time I just jumped on his back and started dire gouging the poo poo out of his heart. Quest complete right then and there. A little less climactic than the first time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Apotheosis posted:

Speaking of which, do you have to talk to Aelinore to get the hat off? What happens if you just leave with it on, without talking to her?

It goes away when you leave the area.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I thought this game was easy as poo poo and didn't really understand what people were talking about when I first started as a Strider->Assassin. Recently I made a fighter and a Mage->Sorcerer though and it's been a lot tougher all around. I actually kind of have to rely on my pawns a bit, unlike playing one of the strider classes where you just zip around the battlefield and murder everybody while your pawns are mostly irrelevant, only serving to give you fire/holy affinity and cure your debuffs. Cutting wind and dodges give you so much mobility that enemies have a hard time keeping up, and since you have a bow there aren't many situations that you can't handle.

Speaking of relying on pawns, I really, really wish they were more aggressive. I make it a point to never take guardian/nexus ones along but they still spend far too much time hanging back or standing around indecisively. If enemies are even slightly far away they just won't bother. Would Pioneer inclination help them push forward, or is that purely for noncombat?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Murodese posted:

Don't forget that pawns of friends cost 0RC, go to the spreadsheet and send a bunch of friend requests and get some pawns.

Do higher level pawns really affect experience gain? I can't find anything that says that (though there is a bonus if pawns are much lower level).

They absolutely do. In fact, just today I was doing some afk vocation leveling in the usual spot on a level 40-ish character, and was getting around 60xp per kill with a level 83 pawn tagging along. When I ditched him for a pawn that was my level, I started getting a bit over 80xp per kill.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just spent the last 20 minutes cycling through dozens of pawns to try to find some without Guardian. I need a healer and something with a bow. At last I finally come across one. Utilitarian/Medicant, just what I wanted! Joyous day! Wait, that isn't a mage. That's a sorcerer. gently caress.

I like this game but the inclination system is an unbelievable load of horseshit.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I though this game was a Monster Hunter alike for the longest time, now I just got Dark Arisen. Hope it is worth it.

Any tips past the one in the OP?

Setting up and maintaining your pawn's inclinations through consumables from the encampment's RC merchant is pretty important. Make sure to check them before hiring a pawn as well. The game doesn't really explain it whatsoever. Avoid Guardian inclination like the plague.

TehGherkin posted:

Fixing to send some goon pawns back with fabulous prizes (I hope) and some well learned lessons.

Somehow you caught my fighter in her very brief and unfortunate "leveling up warrior to get augments" stage and I guess have been holding on to her ever since. Kinda weird seeing her with a 2-hander. Appreciate the RC though, I'm sure I'm going to need it when I hit BBI on my sorcerer here shortly.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 19, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zwippy posted:

Just hit level 117, BBI is blowing me away. I had to take a break after opening the 2nd shortcut. Those random spawns of creatures after killing a bunch of others are amazing. Took out a room of skeletons and BAM 3 big dogs just tore me apart. The only thing I wished they would do is an option for no helm grapics. Got a kickass helm for my pawn but my god its freaking hideous.

If anyone needs a tank pawn add me on PSN: Zwippy. She is set to scather/challenger so she just tears things up! Plus I could use some RC's

I finished BBI on my level ~100 assassin last night and just ended up skipping the random spawn minibosses. First one I got was an ogre and it took 15+ minutes to kill the thing, so from that point on I figured they weren't worth the time. I'd also just like to say that Death is a giant motherfucker. It seems next to impossible for him to hit you, but whenever he pops up it's time to say goodbye to your idiot pawns. Losing them all and going solo for a good stretch in your first time through the dungeon is pretty tense. Very Dark Souls.

Now I'm up to Daimon on my 69 magic character and I can't even dent the guy. It's pretty ridiculous how little damage I do to him. Tried going down there as a sorc, MA, and MK but none of them could do much of anything. MK in particular was a death sentence since Daimon seems insistent on never, ever attacking anybody but me which makes setting up holy cannons impossible. Everything else was pretty simple up to this point as a Mystic Knight :(. Guess I just need some more levels and better gear. If anyone wants to take my fighter around somewhere for some RCs and enemy knowledge so she blocks better, I'd appreciate it. GT is NZVargs2.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 20, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gonna start upgrading a new weapon on my Mystic Knight, but I have two and I'm not sure which. Should I upgrade Magebreaker for the higher physical damage, magic debilitation, and blunt properties, or should I upgrade Cursed Light because holy is more desirable than cold?

I wish I had even the slightest sense of what is weak/strong to blunt and slashing attacks. Presumably skeletons are weak to blunt, but past that? :iiam:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Karanas posted:

So I got some sort of greatshield for mystic knights from the Ur-Dragon and I have no use for it. If anyone interested just give me a shout. I'm on the 360, but I'm not sure how I can give it to a pawn that can't use it.

You can't trade hybrid specific gear, unfortunately. Pawns can't become Mystic Knights, so you can't equip it on them, which is the only way to trade armor/weapons.

Count Chocula posted:

Any tips on items or spells for my healbot mage main pawn? He just maxed out his Mage vocation, and he's pretty boring. Should I have him dip into sorcerer to pick up some more offensive spells while I rent a healer? And where can I find better armor so he's not so squishy?

Gamertag is ChrisBrimstone.

Going into Sorcerer is a fantastic idea. You want to max it out so that you can get the Conservation (less stamina used per spell), Acuity (20% more magic), and Articulacy (15% faster cast speed, stacks with Wyrmking's Ring) augments. When you pick those up and switch your pawn back to mage, he'll be significantly better off.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ARACHNOTRON posted:

I always check a pawn's skills first ever since I hired a level 80 fighter with the two starting skills and nothing else.

who the gently caress does this poo poo

On the subject of fighters with only 2 skills, I'd just like to mention that my fighter pawn's performance increased drastically when I got rid of everything except Dragon's Maw and Heavenward Lash (she uses this one extremely rarely, only to reach things above her). I also stick Shield Drum on there when I'm a sorcerer which isn't especially effective but every tiny bit that helps me finish casting High Gicel is alright by me.

Pawns seem to use other fighter skills very poorly. A lot of this seems to be because they don't tend to move your pawn forward with each strike like basic attacks do, so they end up missing a lot. Happens with Dragon's Maw too but it's good enough to be worth it. Burst Strike is a skill they use and land very often, but typically they'll end up doing more with normal attacks/more Dragon's Maw, and there seems to be this lovely AI quirk where they'll waste time moving a few feet away from a target they're attacking, then Burst Strike back to it. Defensive shield skills seem really terrible on them. They use them when they don't need to and don't use them when they need to. Better off relying on their enemy knowledge to let them perfect block stuff.

I feel like my pawn probably gets hired less because people see that I only have 2-3 skills equipped and think it's garbage, when it really works a lot better.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lotish posted:

The Trophy Jacket has a boob-window that would make Power Girl proud, and so many ranger-type pawns I see now forgo undershirts so they can flaunt it.

Which reminds me of my rule for recruiting pawns. They gotta be wearing clothes! Just passed a pawn in the streets who was stripped down to just her underthings. Why ya gotta do that, Arisen?

Switching vocations unequips all of your gear, which someone might have done so that they can trade certain items. Like making your main pawn a sorcerer so that it can be gifted an archstaff for your actual sorcerer character.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

I'm gonna go mystic knight as soon as I max sorc. I wanna make my guy as Paladin-esque as possible, any suggestions for MK skills to do that with?

The holy weapon and shield enchantments are both solid. And paladin or no, you'll likely want to take Abyssal Anguish, Great Cannon, and Ruinous Sigil. Abyssal really ups your melee output and can do a lot of damage to some things that would otherwise mostly shrug off your attacks, especially if you use the x-pause-xxx combo. GC gives you a fantastic ranged option. Ideally you use a weapon enchantment and then toss two down before attacking. Ruinous Sigil is great just for general disruption and defense, but if you toss down a couple Great Cannons next to an enemy and then keep spamming the Sigil, the Sigil's hits will continually trigger the Cannons and obliterate anything nearby.

CVagts posted:

Huge thanks to the people who sent my pawn back with awesome gear! I'll pay it forward as soon as I get strong enough to be able to do so.

Regarding the idols, I have the Golden and Silver Idols, and I just duped the Golden Idol. Between Caxton and Madeleine, who should I give what?

Whatever you do, don't give the forged one to either of them. One gets the gold, another gets the silver. Keep the duped one for yourself.

So anyways, a question: Does going into another round of NG+ reset the Riftstones that you've repaired in BBI, or are they permanent?

Vargs fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 21, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I liked the post-game plot stuff. The fact that there isn't really any plot at all before then doesn't bother me in the slightest. Kinda just served to make the end events seem even crazier.

Can't say I cared for BBI's story junk though. Following up the end of DD with some lame, convoluted love triangle thing didn't do it for me.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Crowetron posted:

I'm thinking of switching my pawn from a snake lady Sorcerer to a two-hander wielding Warrior and see if that gets her more hires. Is there a particular class that people find most useful in a hired pawn?

If you've been leveling your pawn as a Sorcerer for a long while, it'll make a very poor warrior due to lack of physical attack. Warriors in general are pretty poor, honestly, particularly as pawns where they're awful at using their skills. They're also melee, and melee pawns very often have issues sticking to a target or hitting weak points.

The classes I tend to find that I need the most are:
-Sorcerers with a nice variety of long/short casting offensive spells, holy affinity, voidspell, offensive inclinations (Scather, Mitigator, Challenger), and NO MAELSTROM. Grand Fulmination is a big plus.
-Support Mages with high (not grand) anodyne, holy affinity, halidom, support inclinations (preferably Utilitarian/Medicant), and some good offensive spells of varying elements.
-Rangers with offensive inclinations, tenfold flurry, and no stupid poo poo like great gamble. Honestly, if you slapped tenfold flurry on there and nothing else I'd love it. Save me some effort and unequip those daggers while you're at it. I just want an arrow machinegun for reliable, ranged physical damage.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 21, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Crowetron posted:

If you're still giving out Heaven Keys, I'd like one. I've gotten that drat staff from the Ur-Dragon three times now.

I'll send you one in a few minutes. Just make sure your pawn is a dagger-wielding vocation.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

Quick question: Is there a way to 'reset' the cursed item purification table or whatever it is? Level 3 weapons and armor are expensive, and if I could just Godsbane my way out, reset what it'll give me, and get back to it, that'd be a lot less taxing on the RC wallet

Not really, though you can influence what you get to some extent. No matter how many times you godsbane, if the game wants to give you a hammer, it's giving you a hammer. But it will only give you that hammer if you or your pawn are a "red" class, or a hybrid class that's half red (fighter, warrior, assassin, mystic knight). If you switch you and your pawn to a yellow one like strider, it might give you a longbow every time. If you switched to blue classes, it might give you an archstave every time.

If you do this switching vocations thing to get a weapon that's maybe slightly more appealing, the next time you get a L3 weapon it will be completely different and you likely won't get the hammer if you're a red class. Generally what I do is switch my and my pawn's vocations to the type of class I want a weapon for. If you aren't getting what you want, see what you can nab from all 3 vocation types. Maybe there's something in there for your pawn, or for a vocation that you switch to occasionally.

This works for armor and skill rings, too.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

Yeah, I did some experimenting with the two Level 3 cursed weapons I have. One set of vocations nets me a Mace and a Shield, the other gets me two Magick Bows, and the other gets me two Archstaves. None of these weapons I use in any capacity whatsoever. :negative:

So I guess I just need to purify those and do runs of Daimon until I get the weapons/equipment I'm looking for? Or can I just gift them away and have the next Level 3 weapon I pick up be picked randomly again?

If you gift them away, your next L3 weapons will be that mace/shield, double magic bow, or double archstave setup. Just gotta purify them, unfortunately.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Cowboybot posted:

To the owners of Gnorman and Mika, thank you. It's been a blast playing with those two pawns. Gnorman kept dying over and over, so I could never gift him, nor 5 star him, and Mika I sent back with a cursed item to purify.

I really owe those 2 more, so Next set of BBI weapons I get, I'll send over.

Save your BBI weapons for yourself/someone else, I've already got all of the ones I need. Glad you liked Gnorman though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Any advice for killing the dragons in BBI? Particularly when there's two of them at once. The only thing that I've found works at all is being a dagger class with adhesion, jumping on their torso, and trying to maneuver to their heart for hundred kisses spam in a really awkward and frustrating way, hoping I don't get hosed before I can kill them. This works really well when the controls and camera don't spaz out too much, and I don't get hit by a meteor or something. They die quite quickly and the one I'm attacking gets stunlocked the whole time, even if it's one of the durable fire ones.

Anything else, though? Ugh. Pawns are 100% useless and do literally nothing. Doesn't feel like I can do much on my sorc, since the charge shot doesn't go for their heart and against a lot of them there's no time to stand still and cast spells (which aren't effective anyways, unless I get an incredibly well placed maelstrom). My magick archer has similar issues, where my shots won't go for their heart and unlike my assassin I'm not completely specced out for dagger stab climbing with gloves of might, adhesion, opportunism, arm strength, very high stamina, and fully upgraded versions of the best daggers in the game.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 25, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've been having a lot of problems scrounging up enough RC on my sorcerer. How fortunate that I just got my fighter pawn back with around 500,000, as well as a bunch of knowledge of early/mid game areas, 5 stars across the board, and a "Saved us countless times" note. I wonder if someone picked her up a couple weeks ago when she was low level and took her through most of the game. :3:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

a kitten posted:

Also, gently caress Daimon in his ugly, cheap, face. I can't even believe how frustrated I am about a stupid game right now. :rant: Guess I'll just load everyone the gently caress up with healing gear and wakestones before I try again.

You may just need to gear/upgrade up more before you take on daimon, otherwise you'll be doing next to no damage to the guy. Be sure to take a lot of damage periapts along with you (they stack up to 4 times), and if you play a yellow class and really want to cheese it, blast arrows.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

a kitten posted:

I was having a hell of a time as Magic Knight getting him to leave me alone long enough to put my pile-o-cannons down*. After resupplying myself I got him down though, even though my main pawn got vortex'd (taking all my wakestones with her. :doh:). The periapts helped a ton, I had pretty much never bothered with them in the main game, but wow, they make a big difference.

Now I just have to figure out the best and most fun way to get more Lv3 cursed items.

*or even one, what a jerk that guy is.

You may want to just try doing charged holy shots with your staff rather than great cannons. Like you said, it can be difficult to find time to enchant your weapon and plop down 2 cannons without him wrecking you.

For L3 cursed items, I just use the second shortcut and make my way down. There's one place just past the 2 chained gore cyclopses where you can climb up some rubble to get a really great chance at a L3 gear and novelty. When you reach the city, there are 2 chests that can contain armor (ornate chest all the way west behind the house towards the end, and a plain chest on a roof in the middle of the area), one that can contain a weapon (ornate chest north of the start, on a small roof in between 2 bigger ones, close to the wakestone), and 2 that can contain gear/novelties (on a roof just above/south of the weapon one, and on a roof all the way to the southwest). All of it is L3. Then there's daimon right after, who has a bunch of chests and can drop stuff himself. You'll also need to kill the lightning dragon(s) if you plan on godsbaning.

Another option for equipment is to head in the front entrance, towards the place where you find your first chained gore cyclops and get the void key. In the area just before there, there's an ornate chest that almost always gives a L3 gear. It's in a side room just off the flooded area. If you haven't done so yet, you need to go further in and jump up some stuff to flip the switch to take down the gate. When you get to the gore cyclops room, the chest all the way at the top can contain L3 armor, as can the ornate chest in the back area where the big skeletons pop up. If this room contains a dragon and strigoi you'll need to kill them first, though. If it's the gore cyclops you can ignore him, and just kill whatever shadow pawn guys follow you to the upper chest. Taking pawns is not recommended because they gently caress around a lot and keep you in combat, unable to save your game for some godsbaning.

And yeah, prepare to do plenty of godsbaning. Save before opening chests that you really care about and start stabbin till you get what you want. Then purify it and get utter poo poo. A double dose of RNG!

Ciaphas posted:

Trying to convince myself to give this another try. Are any of the vocations particularly technical or complex? I was looking at magic knight and they look like they just spam attack on their orbs or whatever.

None of them really seem to stand out as being crazy complex compared to the others, but I really dislike magic knight for the reason you mentioned. A whole lot of smacking stationary orbs. If you want to get into melee you've also got to spend years standing still and buffing yourself every couple minutes as well. Maybe give fighter a shot? You've got to be on your game to perfect block everything coming at you.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 26, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I really like the romance portion of this game solely because so many people have inadvertently ended up with Asalam or Fournival as their one true love. Just the thought of someone walking into that room on their first playthrough, ready for the final showdown, with the dragon getting his serious speech mode on while Asalam flails around on the screen. And then, kisses. Cracks me up.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mystic Archer's Ricochet is absolutely ridiculous in BBI's many, many cramped spaces. Shreds everything near instantly while they're stuck in permanent stunlock. You don't even need to aim, and it hits everyone in the room. Only thing I hate is fighting dragons, since it's finicky/impossible to get your arrows to lock on to the heart.

Anyways, people sure do seem to love hiring healer mage pawns and not so much fighter ones. I'd have thought it would be the opposite, with most people having a support mage main pawn of their own. But my mage gets hired about 10x more than my fighter, which is a bummer because the mage account has around 4 million RC and the fighter one has around 500k, most of which I've gotten myself. My fighter has better gear, too! And is lower level, making that gear more appealing.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 26, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Prism_Pink posted:

Wooow, Buttermonster, thanks so much for the level 3 Bitterblack gear! :3:

Incidentally, I now have a spare level 3 Bitterblack Magick Bow for anyone on PS3 that needs it, let me know your PSN ID and I'll send it over.

You can't give people BBI gear, unfortunately. Just the unpurified stuff. Which is a bummer because I just need one specific pair of boots before I have all the armor in the game that I want, but after dozens of L3 armor rolls, I still haven't gotten it. Meanwhile, that exact item sits in storage on my other account being useless.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

"How did I perform? I tried my hardest."

Anteas, please.

I like to send pawns back in Feste's jester outfit. Definitely worth the 220k-ish gold I spend on them each time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SebastianK posted:

Guys my pawn just returned to me with a whole 56 rift crystals! I don't think I've ever been so loving excited.

I got like 4 the other day. 5 star reviews across the board. Guess my pawn did a real stellar job of watching some guy kill a rabbit.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

BBI is exactly what I want the main game to be. Two questions: how do I avoid being stoned by the cockatrice? And are Beholders (or whatever they call the giant eyeball things) immune to magic?

I wish they'd slightly rename Hundred Kisses so I could cut monsters a thousand kisses deep.

Maybe after purifying hundreds of bitterblack gears, you too can thousand kiss. And by you too, I mean just you. Because no matter how many of these loving things I throw at Olra, she won't stop giving me drench resistance Master Rings and Magick Archer garbage.

For the cockatrice, you can shoot the big puffy ballsack on its neck when it's about to breathe, and if you do an amount of damage that couldn't be described as "utterly pathetic", it should stop. This is all theoretical though. I find that unless I'm overpowered as gently caress, cockatrices are the absolute worst. Sometimes you can hang out on ledges and they'll end up really wanting to petrify the ground below you to no effect. I try to carry a few panceas on me at all times, which helps. Say goodbye to your pawns though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lunimeow posted:

Finally picked up this game for ps3 after being interested in it for a long time!! I'm super excited, it should be here tomorrow! I have been reading the OP and thread and looking at the wiki to try and get a basic grip on things, does anyone have any must know tips for starters?

I'm not sure what class I want to play, I thought warrior looked sweet but from reading the thread people are saying they are actually the weakest? I'm pretty sure i'm going to make a small character so maybe I should start as a stryder instead?

Warriors can only use 3 skills, as opposed to every other class' 6. They also can't switch to a different weapon type for more skill variety, like an assassin swapping his daggers for a sword, or a mystic knight changing out his sword for a staff. Of what few abilities warriors get to choose from, most of them are pretty loving terrible and you'll primarily be relying on basic and heavy jump attacks. No ranged weapons at all either, so prepare to spend plenty of time being near worthless, wishing your ranged pawns weren't such idiots. Not really anything in the way of neat side stuff, like double jumps, levitation, blocking, or dodging. I wouldn't recommend playing one, although in a lot of cases it's worth maxing out just to grab the great passive augments before ditching it forever.

Strider is probably a good starter vocation. They have some decent variety between being good at ranged, melee, and climbing. They're pretty fast paced and fun, with a lot of skills to let you pull off neat, if unnecessary combos. Their crowd control ability against small/medium sized enemies is unmatched, and they are quite solid against large ones when climbing to their weak points and spamming Hundred Kisses. Aside from fighting the rare physical immune enemy like wisps, they can handle any situation well. And their stat spread is very balanced, meaning you can transfer over to anything you want when you're done with strider and you won't be awful at it. That said, they don't really have much going for them over the very similar assassin or ranger vocations, who gain a fair bit over the strider while sacrificing pretty much nothing other than (the admittedly awesome) ensnare/implicate.

Count Chocula posted:

I just switched to MA, so I wouldn't mind some of that 'garbage' if you're on XBOX.

Can't trade purified BBI stuff, I'm afraid. Otherwise getting the things I want would be about a million times easier and less reliant on the cruel, cruel RNG.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 29, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

High level weapons definitely gently caress up your stamina. I'm not sure about armor, though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gear is probably more important than level for BBI. Make sure you have some upgraded everfall/Ur Dragon stuff going in. Weapons, especially. And if you need to grind up any vocations for augments, do so using the noble quarter trick in postgame before you finish and move into NG+. There's a wall you can jump up on in front of the Gran Soren church where infinite enemies will spawn that your pawns can kill while you go afk. Be sure to bring wakestones though. Very rarely pawn abilities will toss something up there where it will kill you. If you hang off the side of the wall on the highest point, you have 0 chance of dying, but your pawns kill much slower there, so I just go on top. Since these guys give less than 100 xp you also get maximum DP returns, which levels vocations quite quickly.

Also, if you are interested in grinding levels for BBI and are capable of downing offline Ur-Dragon without too much trouble, you aren't gonna find many faster ways than going into NG+ and repeatedly killing him from Cassardis while holding a blessed flower. You'll be getting several levels each kill, as well as poo poo tons of wakestones. Those wakestones come in handy for BBI and you can sell a bunch of them to pay for blessed flower forgeries. If you need a weapon capable of hurting him, I can send you one of the Ur drops if you want, depending on your vocation.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 31, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

That'd be amazing if you could, I'm going Mystic Knight unfortunately, and I hear hybrid weapons are hard to send, but MK can use fighter longswords and such I believe.

You'll need to switch your pawn to fighter for a bit so I can equip him with a sword. I've got plenty of spare ascalons though, so as soon as I seem him switch vocations I'll give him one.

Moola posted:

I just started playing this game last week and man do I feel stupid for buying one of those 2000 RC packs. :blush:

Just had my pawn return from someone using them for the first time; she came back with over 850,000 RC, full dragon forged gear and like three BBI items.

God drat! :stare:

If your pawn is pretty low level and this is some high end stuff like Abyssinal + Ur-Dragon weapons or something, be warned that there are stamina penalties for using them until you reach 50-ish.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

So apparently chest drops are completely random?

How often do chests refresh? Do they refresh at all?

Each chest has a pool of items it can pull from, with some results being weighted more heavily than others. For valuable stuff like everfall loot or cursed items, you can save in front of a chest and then keep killing yourself with the godsbane till you get what you want. It's pretty tedious, but good luck farming up a bunch of items with 4% drop rates otherwise.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You can see how stats develop for each vocation here. I like the strider class, but really don't care for its stat growth. Your damage gains are split between physical/magic attack, but hybridizing like that isn't a great idea unless you're going mystic knight. If you're really attached to implicate or the strider bow abilities though, go for it. You're not going to be unable to kill Daimon just because you have 400-500 less strength at max level than you would if you played an assassin the whole way through. That said, assassin is a pretty cool class too. Snakebite makes a good substitute for implicate, being single target but working on more types of enemies and doing significant damage. You can switch it up with a sword and/or shield when you want, as well.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 31, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Overbite posted:

I'm starting to think the snakeskin purse doesn't exist.

These are my favorite things to gift lowbie goons. Looks like you're on the PS3 though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

On the other hand, finishing the game and going into NG+ gives you super easy offline Ur-Dragon access from Cassardis, which makes gearing up for BBI much easier. Some of the BBI story stuff only really makes sense if you've finished the game anyways, and it seems like putting the last few minutes of the game on hold for potentially dozens of hours would ruin the pacing of the main plot.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Thievery posted:

Do any other assassins just use Sword/Bow? I did start the vocation out using Daggers but then after getting Gouge I switched and never looked back. In BBI though i'm having a harder time clinging onto enemies so i'm debating switching back. It just sucks that I have a sword that gives me like 3K strength and my best dagger is around a third of that.

Hundred kisses serves the same purpose as gouge. Though for a long while I actually used daggers under normal circumstances, passing on hundred kisses to free up a slot for something more fun, then switching to my sword to gouge when I was climbing. Going into a menu to swap like that was a little tedious, unfortunately, so I stopped doing it and kept hundred kisses on my bar.

If your dagger is way shittier than your sword, stick with the sword. You aren't even going to get past the damage reduction of half the enemies in BBI if they're really that much worse. Wait till you get something better. Going daggers isn't gonna help you with your climbing problems anyways. What will help you a whole lot is the adhesion augment, which you get from L3 novelties. Next to nothing can stop you from attacking when you have that enabled. They can flail around all they want; it doesn't matter. The +20% strength when climbing secret augment is pretty nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lunimeow posted:

Man it sure does take a lot of DP to buy every skill and augment... 4 more skills for magick archer and I'm done though!

What's a decent way to get something dragon forged if you can't beat the online ur-dragon? Is it even worth it to try and dragonforge if you don't have three stars?

Offline Ur-Dragon is fairly easy and has an okay chance at dragonforging, though you'll want to 3 star the stuff first. At least you get a poo poo ton of wakestones if luck isn't in your favor. If you're strong enough for BBI round 2, you can kill the dragon bishop for a very high chance at dragonforging, even if your items aren't upgraded at all. You'll need to go to Cassardis and rest for like a week to respawn him though. Summoning cursed dragons with rancid bait meat works nearly as well, and you can do it more often, but they're a bit tougher than the bishop and you'll have to clear out one of the rooms they can spawn in first, which tends to mean fighting other dragons - often two at a time.

• Locked thread