Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
The whole dark ages/renaissance/early modern/modern terminology sequence is pure propaganda, convincing people that society inevitably progresses forward (forward toward the current status quo of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Squizzle posted:

over a long enough timeline, all societies trend toward temporarily wearing interesting hats
Interesting hats are what are truly inevitable in society, that's right.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FAUXTON posted:

hey let's hear more about what your idea of progress looks like
*looks at current world* Not like this? lol

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FAUXTON posted:

Oh come now, not even a little bit of detail on what you're arguing against here?
Not in the ancient history thread, no. I was only commenting on the terminology, not the nature of progress itself.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Grand Fromage posted:

Let's not do this in here actually.
Of course, thank you for the reminder.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Tunicate posted:

When the game mechanics stop working well
So at game start then? :v: (jk, I love paradox games)

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Squizzle posted:

glad to encounter a fellow ritually pure interpreter of omens
Heck yeah. Love to never confuse favourable signs with unfavourable ones, like those fool diviners do

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

zoux posted:

*Eagle flying north shot out of the sky by skilled bowshot, also has my exact face*
*turns to harsupex* Is that bad
Diviner: Nah dude it's chill

*The Babylonians proceed to invade and conquer the city*

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

sullat posted:

Yeah there were multiple mass death plague events over the 400 years or so; however it seems like the first one(s) that spread in the early 1500s were extremely devastating. Although there aren't ya know, extensive written records it's hard to get precise figures but thanks to the early conquistadors being like "hey, there's a ton of people here" and the later ones being like, "wow, there's nobody here but a lot of arable land, weird, eh?" seems to point that way.
That's possible, but the latter could also point to the extensive colonial efforts to draw in more settlers and investment, more than there actually being nobody there.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

I don't follow, it sounds like a lot of these regions had been cultivated and had been fairly recently abandoned (if perhaps not like literally last week, or even last year). Do you mean that the expansion moved so fast that those areas didn't have time to revert to wilderness with much less sign of previous habitation?
I meant more that the settler reports may have exaggerated how extensive the abandonment really was, so they could get more people in.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I'm more impressed by how economically valuable North Africa, that is the thin strip of land from present day Algeria to Libya, was to the Roman metropole. I mean I get it was built on top of Carthage, but still, it's not a huge amount of land and it abuts the desert. Was it a case of a high proportion of coastal access supporting intensive market-oriented agriculture? Or was it a case of a longer growing season making the territory just that much more agriculturally productive.
Aside from the protection against raids, the outposts might also have given them more control over the trans-Sahara trade routes, which have existed for a really long time.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Radia posted:

no, that's not true. none of those places are coastal
Wait, they're not? I thought the mediterranean coastline counted, at least as far as shipping and trade go.

edit:
oh hell yes

How! posted:

Going through my dads coin collection- thought this thread might appreciate this!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Radia posted:

you're not thinking with like.. your wider mind, maaan. the only places coastal are those that we WANT to be coastal

Radia posted:

it was the land locked nature of the western roman empire that made it collapse. the east, where they knew mesopotamia was part of the mediterranean coast, was able to survive far longer.
Ahhh, of course. Thank you.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Elissimpark posted:

condimentum speciale, but it's garum. Cheese would be Romano. Lettuce is Egyptian, apparently. Sesame seeds also used by ancient Egyptians.

gently caress, I'm working nightshift and now craving garum burger.
Garum is so delicious. I got to try the sauce once when a high school Latin teacher made a recipe of it for us. Very salty as I remember, but adds a ton of flavor to lots of things when used right. I also now want a garum burger, that sounds amazing.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FreudianSlippers posted:

Garum is proof that Thailand is the true successor to Rome.
:hmmyes:

(Sorry I don't have more to contribute right now than a hmm yes to all these great and informative posts/questions. I'm just, I admit, kind of exhausted with academic/historical reading at the moment and need a little while to rest my eyes/brain. Plus I'm just a very interested/hyperfixated amateur anyway, not a professional with credentials and experience. Anyway that's one thing bookmarks are for of course, so I appreciate all the things mentioned here, and I'm bookmarking it all to save for when I can handle them. Thanks all!)

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

I think the big difference was the missionary impulse. A little witnessing goes a long way. As does having your western outlying territories colonize and expropriate several large continents
Not just the missionary impulse, but also the imperialist impulse, I think. Christianity getting wrapped up as the official state religion of Rome was one of the best (in terms of recruitment) and worst (in terms of the actual intended message and work) things that ever happened to Christianity historically. And then that imperial flavored Christianity spread to many other expansionistic empires who could use such a strong religious form of control in their expansion, such as the United Kingdom, France, United States, etc.

There is actually a lot of scholarship about the Abrahamic god's/other religions' historical places in the world. It's just hard to find sometimes, especially in places where such research might offend deep believers. I will try to dig some up for the thread though when I have time, if no one else has references on hand.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Gaius Marius posted:

And the same thing with Islam
Exactly. Although Islam is an interesting special case, in that much of its imperialism seems to have been for a long time, a sort of quasi-anti-imperialism, centered around opposing what were viewed as the evil parts of Rome.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

bob dobbs is dead posted:

rome declared for centuries that it had never and would never fight an offensive war, neither. that's more of an instance of the general tendency for states to baldfacedly lie
I mean they were kind of lying with that, like states do. You're right. But Rome as a culture was also sometimes uniquely obsessed with this idea of always being the defensive, heroic good guys in war. I've read about how if they wanted to aggressively invade someone with little justification, they would often just do a special diplomatic ritual that would basically symbolically invent a noble, defensive justification for their invasion, before they declared war. One example that sticks out from my reading is they would have a single Roman guy, representing the potential enemy, throw a single weapon at Rome/Roman stuff, making Rome now under attack by that group. Spiritually.) It was kind of legalistic and silly, but many took it seriously from what I can tell, because they thought it did metaphysically make their violence more justified.

It's a bit like the "I'm not touching you" of imperialism. Go wherever you want with huge aggressive armies, purely to help the local population/your allies of course. Then if any of the locals resent that (and your taxes), and try to resist or fight back, then you have all the reason you need to conquer them all and take their stuff, whenever you have the time and ability.

Nessus posted:

How’d that hold up once they got east of Afghanistan (everyone forgets about the huge numbers of Malaysian and Indonesian Muslims)
I don't recall exactly at the moment, but not very well as far as avoiding actual imperialism, no. That's why I said "quasi-imperial", and meant to imply that it wasn't always the case throughout Muslim history.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

euphronius posted:

The Egyptians invented it. The Persians invented it. Celtic beliefs were erased who knows. There are monotheistic interpretations of Hinduism. Sikhism is arguably monotheistic. I don’t know about Chinese religions.

And I still argue Christianity is not monotheistic. If it monotheistic is then Hinduism is too

Edit

Forgot Rastafarianism
It might apply to Hinduism... but a lot of that may be due to colonizers like the British coming in and completely misinterpreting what Brahma is meant to be (on purpose or by accident). They basically acted like it's obviously just yet another expression of their one multipart God, this time with "funny" details from India. But my understanding is that Brahma is meant to be more like a fabric, a godhead that all the other beings draw power and magic from, not necessarily above or below, but just in community with them. I don't think it was ever intended to be their Creator God who rules over all the other polytheistic gods, at least not until colonial revisionism really got going.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are a number of monotheistic religions outside of Aten and Abraham, even if they aren't as big. I think you could also see polytheism as something that could be forced onto religions externally even if it can be a lot less chaotic to just shoehorn in the existence of other gods into somebody else's theological framework.

It's also not like polytheism totally prevents religious conflict either; while it sure is nice and convenient where everybody just decides that somebody else's gods are either different names for their own or distant members of the same pantheon that are being worshipped in a weird and funky way, that is not the only possible response, and there's plenty of room to cause offenses over taboos. There were five sacred wars over Delphi.
Oh yeah, absolutely not. Most polytheism historically doesn't really do much about the human tendencies toward violence. (Nor do monotheistic faiths that act like they do, I would argue- the most they can manage is temporarily repressing or redirecting violence.) But even then, polytheistic violence was rarely about wiping out the other "nonbelievers" and converting anyone who refused to accept it. Maybe a bit, but never to the extent of a lot of imperial monotheistic religions. The most that usually happened with polytheisms is a tribe or city gets conquered, and all their gods and relics get moved to be securely "worshipped" somewhere else in the imperial core, as a lowkey method of religious control. That certainly isn't pretty and would suck, but I think it would suck less than Christians slaughtering my entire family and society, then turning and acting like they're doing me a huge, transcendentally awesome favor for it.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Squizzle posted:

the idea of monotheïsm/ploytheïsm as distinct and knowable aspects of a belief system or culture—that this became so widespread and unquestioned is to me the weirder, more fundamentally transformative thing. know who believes in an ultimate source of all reality??? a whole buncha peoples!!! a lot of them have names for it and impute some character, or at least moral preference, to it!!!! and everything else in reality, including many supernatural entities, is/are existentially downstream from that ultimate reality. “our encompassing reality and its divine servants and doings are monotheïsm and angels and miracles; their encompassing reality and its divine servants and doings are polytheïsm and magic” is not the sorta neutral position that it is uncritically taken to be by [gestures expansively around]
I'm happy to take this (quite interesting!) discussion over to the religion thread since that may be more appropriate, but I did want to first mention that this is a pretty good point too, that I'm taking some time to sit with and process. I think I largely agree with this sentiment.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Jazerus posted:

what's not to love? these freaks that love to go to war handle all of the business of defending your poo poo for you and even have the courtesy to set up reliable supply lines so they aren't constantly devastating friendly territory just by walking through it. you're connected into a trade network that might as well be globalized by the standards of the ancient world. you don't get hassled about religion* or culture or anything really. sucks that your great-grandparents had to live through a nasty conquest and all that it entails but it's done, might as well enjoy the upsides. that's not to say that roman rule didn't suck tremendously for some people, sometimes, or that the lovely parts of roman society like slavery weren't lovely. but the durability of the empire depended on making it not suck for most people most of the time and the imperial elite were generally aware that that was the implicit social contract everything rested on

*monotheism not included
That's a very succinct way of putting the ideas I kind of think about this too, thank you. I don't have a concrete source on hand, but this checks out with my understanding. Life could be lovely for many under the Romans, but it was an improvement in life for so many more, leading to their society managing to stick around for a very long time. I still don't like the idea of empire that much, ancient or modern, but the Roman take on it seems less harmful than others, like the Neo-Assyrian etc. ones mentioned by other posters.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

MeatRocket8 posted:

Movies never show barbarians with moustaches. Probably because it would look too modern. But moustaches were definitely popular among them.
We should bring them back. A good well-maintained moustache has many advantages.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
It would make sense for boats to have names, especially big, important ones like triremes. Ships take a lot of effort to build and maintain, and that effort is usually toward a specific intentional purpose. That's the kind of endeavor that always seems to make humans want to go "we should name this thing, this great complex endeavor we're doing."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Brawnfire posted:

"This... This enterprise."
lmao to all, but especially to this, as a huge Star Trek nerd

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Elissimpark posted:

"Stone...uh..henge?"
"Fucks sake, Steve, it's not a henge!"
I wonder what the original name of that monument was, I don't think it was Stonehenge iirc. I bet the original name was way more rad.

Mad Hamish posted:

Actually, while I'm thinking of it, the pyramids in ancient Egypt also had names. The Great Pyramid's proper name is Khufu's Horizon, and the name of Djedefre's pyramid (Khufu's successor) is Djedefre's Starry Sky.
I forgot that detail, that's awesome. Thank you.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Random and/or horrific violence can happen in any era, I think studying history bears that out. There is no societal or technological advancement that takes that possibility away, because other people still make their own choices, regardless of our own.

Living in any era would be fine for me, because I know that existence is as good for us as we make it together, and that was just as much the case in prehistory as it is today. Like yeah, maybe there were a lot of ancient ugly neolithic massacres, but there are also a lot of ugly modern massacres too. Any insulation I think I have from them is an illusion of safety that doesn't actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to me i think its the conflict between human altruism and limited resources. In the prehistorical period, people were absolutely altruistic. They cared for the sick or the disabled and they valued old and infirm members of their tribe/band/village. however when they are forced to migrate, or some event causes resources to no longer be as prevalent and other groups are now direct rivals, its literally a survival situation. That same willingness to protect their own will lead to taking very drastic and harsh actions against rival groups because there is no safety net, no one to look out for your tribe if poo poo goes south.

if things are not too desperate, border clashes and skirmishes might settle disputes over hunting/foraging grounds, or access to chert or other resources. but if one or both groups have their backs to the wall, doing something as nasty as killing the rival group in their sleep becomes a valid and "necessary" act. Not doing so might mean your loved ones starve, and if the rival band is similarly desperate, its a matter of when, not if, one of those exceedingly violent acts is done to you.
I think I agree that one of the conflicts is our desire to be altruistic versus the material reality of limited resources. That's one reason it would be good to spread an abundance of resources wide, so that everyone can 'afford' to be more altruistic to each other.

But that's present/future stuff. It is interesting to think about how changes in resource distribution have driven history, although from what I understand it can be very difficult to get reliable data on things like economic and (lower class) social history. A lot of what is out there in the popular sphere relies on what basically amounts to guesswork. (Of course, if any historians in the thread have better information, feel free to share, this is just based on what I've seen.)

Also hell yes. (I think I know how he returned though-- he scammed Death, who owes him many mina of silver and can't take his soul until Death pays the debt.)