Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LLSix posted:

Thank you! It's cool that the Bergenhus is free. It sounds like it's also an active military base? That link says the military police have authority there.

Akershus Fortress is also an active military base. I was there when I was first drafted. There's also the Medieval Park. Ekeberg also have some historical sites. It also have some really cool sculptures:

(the buttplug gnome isn't even among the top ten weirdest sculptures in the park).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taishi Ci posted:

There is a trope about times of peace and prosperity in Chinese history that "cities left their gates open even at night and travelers did not take anything which had been forgotten by the wayside".
There's a guy who sells honey in the street where I work who often leave his stand unattended with a sign that says where people can send their money if they want to buy some.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

malaria was worldwide pre contact iirc

We think about malaria as a tropical disease today but even Norway had a malaria epidemic in 1850.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably a big part of it is if someone is that effective a bandit, better to have them on your side.

Pretty much the reasoning behind privateers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Noting, of course, that the ancient world did not think specific groups of people were subhuman.

That's a truth with some qualifiers. It's true that they didn't rank people by the color of their skin but they still thought that specific groups were subhuman. Germanic tribes for example was considered, as a whole, primitive drunks and the romans hated the gauls so much that Caesar could commit what in our days would be considered genocide against them and be considered a great hero for it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmegin posted:

That's the thing, though. As a German, you could learn Latin/Greek, stop wearing trousers, shave and become 'civilised' and that would work just fine. That's something that just doesn't apply to black people in the 19th century US, for example.

That's, again, a truth with some qualifiers. Stilicho for example was a brilliant general who was completely loyal to the idiot emperor Honorius. Yet he couldn't be completely trusted because he was part barbarian.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

skasion posted:

She became witch-queen of the shortass eastern barbarians and…apparently did a pretty good job.

Seems to me that they kept her locked up and killed everyone that knew after her death.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Coinage is a funny thing since in both ancient and modern times, currency is a tricky thing to deal with as a country and an individual. It takes a certain level of resources and organisation to be able to mint currency after all. (and now I want to play Civ again...)

Fun fact: It took a long time for vikings to get their own coins. They were completely dependent on arabic dirhams. So when the arabic silver mines ran dry the entire norse economic basically collapsed, trading ports like Birka were abandoned and there were civil wars.
To solve this the vikings then decided to invade the British Isles again in order to get more silver.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Medenmath posted:

As far as Roman coins go, are there any that would actually be considered rare and important just on their own, even without the context of where they were found? I assume there are a lot more coins with Marcus Aurelius' face on them than, like, Otho's.

Coins with well known emperors like Augustus and Caesar is going to be worth a lot more than emperors that no one has heard of. Then there's the gold coins that's gonna be worth a lot simply because they're made of gold.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:nm

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Aztecs had it right by sacrificing warriors. Children are useless and easy to make more. A good warrior? Now that takes time and talent.

The aztecs did sacrifice children though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grevling posted:

Probably a lot of expeditions in the past were just some captain getting hired or ordered to scout an area, he goes there, he comes back and submits a report, gets paid, says "well, that was crazy" and lives out his life, his report if written down ends up unread in some archive and eventually lost forever.

Or in the case of Xu Fu, using it as a way to escape from a clearly insane ruler and becoming a king in Japan.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

How about "I know that I know nothing, and am therefore the wisest of all."

The teacher sighs as he unlocks the hemlock cabinet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

niche question: does anyone have a lot to say itt about the history of color? a professor i knew from way back when was on the university's social media talking about how not only did homer not have a word for the color blue--he described the seas as the color of "wine dark"--but neither did ancient hebrey and assyrian texts, icelandic sagas, or hindu vedas. blue was mentioned in ancient egyptian texts though.
The vikings actually called africans "the blue men".

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I heard an NPR piece on how you actually can see a similar thing happening with language in general with the birth of a new sign language. Basically when you get a bunch of deaf people who don't already know sign language into the same room, they will all on their own start developing gestures to communicate, and the later generations of people using that language will start developing more complex ideas to have words for. I'm not sure how much of that is that it takes time for more words to develop or if older generations get complacent with the language after a point and stop developing, leaving work for the next generation to do.

There's a village in the Middle East where a new sign language emerged because a lot of the population was deaf and the village was isolated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Sayyid_Bedouin_Sign_Language

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ScienceSeagull posted:

The isekai chat reminds me, there was a Reddit thread about how you would survive if you woke up in Medieval Europe with only the clothes on your back, no modern technology. Someone posted an elaborate plan for how he'd steal a horse, pretend to be a monk who'd taken a vow of silence (to avoid the language barrier), and use his modern knowledge to conquer all of Eurasia and then the New World. The most important stage in his plan? Inventing pasta! There might have been a thread on some other subreddit mocking it, but I can't find either that or the original.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a parody of this trope where Arthur Dent ends up in a foreign civilization and realizes that the only practical skill he has is to make a decent sandwich.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"I, the mighty Ashurnasirpal, made monkeys gently caress."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

not sure i've read a single argument about how bad blimps/airships/zeppelins are here that counteracts "they look really cool"

Ice Cube agrees.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

However we do have one very big example of helmets being reintroduced to an army en masse, which is WWI. And in that war there were certainly a whole bunch of people complaining about the "pussification" of soldiers by giving them helmets instead of hats, so I can certainly imagine if there were any major changes to equipment for whatever reason there would be a bunch of of people both high up and on the ground complaining about it.

I'm guessing that the ones making those complaints did not fight in the front lines?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jazerus posted:

imagine being the monk that erased lives of famous whores to get parchment for your cheese recipes

A hero:colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ughhhh posted:

Is there a visual indicator that identifies someone as a prostitute in Roman frescos during the late republican or early imperial period? Other than being naked and doing sex stuff ofc.

I don't know if it's portrayed in roman frescos, but female prostitutes were required to wear togas.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 2, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tias posted:

Pyramids: built by drafted freemen or slaves - and why?

They were built by fremen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Here's a random question I've been wondering about for a while (mostly due to having to plan an upcoming trip to Germany). How did leisure travel work in the ancient Roman world? I've read somewhere that there was a surprising amount of tourism, especially by the rich, but did they have, like, private travel agents or local administration set up to facilitate travelers or did you just show up with cash and hire some random people to show you around? If I'm some random rich Roman who shows up in Alexandria and wants to see the sights, how would I even go about finding a guide? (I guess I'd tell my slave to work it out but how would he or she do that?) Was it exclusively the rich who vacationed or would working people also travel?

Anyways, if there are any good articles or books on ancient travel you'd recommend I'd be much obliged, thanks.

Somewaht related: I love that even in ancient Rome they had lovely tourist souvenirs like 'I went to Rome and all I got you was this stylus".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Here in Iceland anything older than a hundred years is automatically protected and can't be owned privately and must be surrendered to the National Museum.

Same in Norway. It doesn't even have to be that old, the wreck of the Blücher for example is officially protected as both a cultural heritage site and a burial site.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

most royals did this kind of poo poo

The Aeneid is basically pro-Caesar propaganda.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Randarkman posted:

German names are easy street. I've never met a single foreigner who managed to pronounce my Norwegian name, even after hearing it said, and written out they just give up, it's not really hard, but the "Ø" and dipthong. It's not really difficult, it just seems people don't know where to start and give up on the "Ø" (which is like "u" in urge).

Not only is my name difficult for foreigners to pronounce, even norwegians have trouble with it because it's pronounced differently depending on which parts of Norway you were born.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like the Discworld books where the main setting Ankh Morpork (fantasy Victorian London if it was also a renaissance Italian city state) is built on it self several times because of centuries of silt from the River Ankh building up so there's city on city on city (most of it filled with mud). This becomes a plot point several times when people use the former ground floor (now sub-basement) to get up to no good.

Old underground cities comes up a lot in fiction. Judge Dredd has Old New York populated with subterranean vampires, Futurama got one populated with mutants and even Duckburg has an old Duckburg underground (mainly used by the Beagle Boys to hide in).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Locally produced dildos not good enough then?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is there somewhere good to read up on this kind of stuff about the Vikings?
Kim Hjardar's books Vikings and Vikings at War is considered to be pretty good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that's basically how it goes though, since history is full of exactly that happening. especially steppe societies threatening the Greeks, Romans, Persians, and Chinese with invasions and being paid off to go home.

This was what the vikings established with "danegeld" which literally means the "danish tax". The vikings made a deal with the british rulers that if they paid a set amount of silver each year the vikings wouldn't raid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tulip posted:

(the symbolism of making sure that military aristocrats were visibly at war and literally elevated being well above that).

It's weird how it took so long before people realized that that is a terrible idea. To have your leader exposed like that, fully knowing that your army will collapse if he's killed and leaving your country without someone in charge.