Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Now I am actually really fascinated to see how they will fit it into Brave

Same way Sam Raimi fit the Delta 88 into The Quick and the Dead.

Make it a wagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

FourLeaf posted:

Sorry if this one is well-known, but it blew my mind when I found out. From Kill Bill:

The swordsman who finally kills O-Ren's father is Bill. He has the sword and the same rings you see on Bill's hand at the end. Why would O-Ren work for the man who killed her father? Well she never saw his face since she was hiding under the bed.

Wow, I never knew that. I always wondered what was up with that guy.

I always thought she saw his face, since they show her getting really mad right after panning from her father up to his face. Still, mind blown.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

They also pronounce Toronto correctly in the intro, even though Bill Hader who does the narration is American.

Wait, I can't place it in the movie. What is the correct pronunciation? I've always said "Terr-ron-no." Is that wrong?

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Dec 23, 2012

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

No, that's right.

Americans usually pronounce the second T. Canadians don't. Hell, some people don't even pronounce the first O and you get "Tronno".

I've been repeating it to myself and when I'm not enunciating and focusing on it I'm definitely saying Tronno. I've been told I sound like people in Windsor, which makes a little sense, I suppose.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

This isn't a Romero reference, but remember when Shaun is at work and he's the most senior person there?

quote:

I'm afraid Ash is feeling a little bit under the weather, so I will be taking charge

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

One of my favorite little moments comes from Inglorious Basterds. In the scene where Landa and Shoshanna are in the restaurant, Landa orders strudel for them both. This is rather innocent. However, before she can take a bite, Landa suddenly remembers that he forgot to order the whipped cream for the topping. He orders it and won't let Shoshanna eat until it comes. We get a heavy-handed shot of the cream being put onto the strudel, and then Landa eats. After watching her eat, he asks her about it, and you see her kinda grimace and swallow.

The reason for this, and him relaxing after her eating is because whipped cream wasn't readily made Kosher until the late 1950s. Before this, a large amount of cream was made with gelatin, which is decidedly non-Kosher. Now, it was possible to make it Kosher, without gelatin and with a blessed animal, but Shoshanna has no way of knowing if it is.

Now, non-dairy creams can more easily be Kosher, but that wasn't invented until 1945, so this has to be natural whipped cream. In addition, the likelihood of it being Kosher in German-occupied France is slim-to-none. Shoshanna being willing to eat this indicates that she's not a practicing jew. That said, I believe that Landa knew who she was and was just having fun with her, toying with the prey, so to speak.

They don't bring this scene up, or really talk about it at all. It's simply a nice little note and shows that Landa does his homework.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Nastyman posted:

Can't it be both? Landa above all LOVED to toy with his prey as much as he possibly could, in the creepiest way possible if the italian scene is any indication, although this bit from the opening sequence has me leaning mostly towards the latter interpretation.

Absolutely. In the Italian scene, look at the way he coaxes out the proper pronunciation and praises them when they get it right. The funny part about that scene is that Omar speaks the least amount of Italian, that is none, yet he only repeats once and gets a "Bravo" out of Landa. The interactions between Landa and the rest of the cast is amazing. He enjoys watching peoples' reactions.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

When Doc Brown tells Marty it's his kids that are the problem (in the future) (this incarnation of Dr. Brown is from the future) at the end of BTTF1, he is foreshadowing Back to the Future 2, in which Marty's son gets in trouble in the future and Marty has to save him

Throughout the beginning of Return of the Jedi, you find out that Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie, and the droids are all heading to Jabba's palace to save Han. How did they know to do this? Because at the end of Empire Strikes Back they talked about how they have to go track down Boba Fett to save Han.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Peanut President posted:

The thing about the Cubs beating Miami in the World Series is that they won't play in the World Series, they're in the same League.

The Marlins are going to switch leagues and become the Gators, and they're going to bring the Astros back. Clayton Kershaw is going to get the Cy Young and win 2 games in the World Series for us, and Anthony Rizzo will be the World Series MVP.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Even though I've seen it at least twenty times, I recently caught something in Hot Fuzz that I hadn't seen before.

When Nicolas Angel is kicking the underaged kids out of the bar on his first night in Sandford, it's not just the fact that they're young-looking, have glinting braces, and have that puberty squeal that tip him off to their age. They're all drinking the beer with straws, the sign of the inexperienced.

I can't believe I just saw it now.

They're just trying to make sure that the blanks don't get any DNA samples.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Everyone knows this scene from Jurassic Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The kids get away because one of the raptors slips in the freezer after Tim runs in there, right? Then they lock him in and run away while the other raptor is still dazed from running headlong into a cabinet. But, why is the freezer sitting there open in the first place, with ice on the ground?

Earlier in the film, we see Hammond sitting in the dining room eating lots of ice cream . He says it's because it's all melting. The power was knocked out by Nedry, and everything, including the freezers, are off. Hammond went into the freezer, got ice cream, and left it open because it doesn't matter since the power's out. Everything is melting in the freezer, including all the ice.

After the power is turned on, the freezer restarts. All that melted ice is now water on the floor, which re-freezes. The door is still open from Hammond leaving it open, allowing Tim to run into it. The raptor slips on the ice that was allowed to melt and refreeze because of Hammond's action letting the freezer warm up faster than it would have if it was sealed.

Hammond leaving the door open allowed Tim and Lex to survive the kitchen, by giving Tim somewhere to run, and giving the raptor somewhere to slip. His thinking about ice cream saved his grandchildren.

One further than that, actually. Lex surviving the kitchen allows her to be able to be in the control center when the raptors attack again. This allows her to use the computer to lock all the doors. By locking the doors, Grant and Ellie survive. Hammond's desire for ice cream saves everybody.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Sep 23, 2015

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There's nothing subtle about "I've been feeling a little flat EHEHEHEHEHHEHE" whatsoever, but gently caress me if I haven't laughed at it every single time I've seen it in the last 27 years.

So, are you saying that it keeps getting FUNNIER. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you've seen it?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Lotish posted:

Were people so distracted by han's death that they didn't notice Ren get shot or something? Do they somehow think being shot shouldn't have affected his performance when he holds his side throughout the fight and even hits the wound a few times in frustration over the distraction?. People are getting real hung up over this easy to explain thing.

I heard somewhere that him hitting the wound was supposed to be him revving up his dark side power, because pain and suffering leads to the dark side as well. If he's hitting it, he's causing more pain, which will help to strengthen his power. I thought that was an interesting take on it. When I watched it, I saw anger and frustration as well.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Xenoletum posted:

Yeah they through a bone to KotOR fans with that, suggesting that his Lightsaber has a cracked Kyber crystal and that the design in and of itself is something that they were able to crudely assemble based off a design from Malachor V, which is a planet from KotOR 2.

But they also mostly probably thought it looked cool.

I'm glad they didn't explain all of this in the movie, though. One of the problems in the prequels is the desire to explain every single little thing, and it just gets stupid and wastes time.

No one knew what the Clone Wars were after watching the original movie, and that was ok. All we knew was that Anakin and Obi-Wan fought, and Obi-Wan was a general who served Leia's father. We didn't need a scene explaining everything.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

I still say his cameo in the Avengers was a call back to this.

He was worried about Banner being an Alien because of his prior dealings with one.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Jedit posted:

The main reason to watch the extended cut of The Blues Brothers is still that it contains the full version of John Lee Hooker's "Baby Talk".

I love the extended cut, but it has that stupid "Park the Bluesmobile inside the power transformer" scene. It goes on for way too long, isn't funny, and apparently is meant to show why the Bluesmobile is special and powerful, but it isn't explained at all.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm willing to say it is my favorite. The scene between Landa and Shoshanna where he orders her milk and she screams internally is maybe the best single scene of his career.

Honestly Landa is probably some of the best synergy between writer, actor and character he's had.

That scene is doubly impressive when you realize that kosher whipped cream wasn't around yet, so that cream wasn't kosher. Cool whip and the like are kosher, but they weren't invented until after the war. That would have been actual whipped cream which would have been impossible to have been made in a kosher facility.

She had to eat it in order to maintain her cover, but by doing so she was violating Kashrut dietary law.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Memento posted:

Same as not keeping Halal if you're Islamic. You can eat it if it means survival, you just have to make atonement afterwards.

Gromit posted:

I'm far from being an expert in religious dietary law, but surely it is just something she would need to atone in some small way about later, or use as an experience to strengthen her ties to God? It's not like eating non-kosher sends her straight to hell or requires a blood sacrifice.

Absolutely, but it would catch her off guard. It was another of Landa's games.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also they dubbed everyone's voices back before America's brief love affair with Australia.

The Road Warrior had a dub? I knew Mad Max did, but I never knew that Road Warrior did.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Of course Max existed. He just died in the desert after spinning Gulag on the Wheel.

I love the idea of him being a folk hero. He definitely was in Road Warrior.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Like the Continental in John Wick or the entirety of Buckaroo Banzai, the flashbacks are better left unexplained

This is why I never want a sequel/remake of Big Trouble in Little China, and why I wish Prometheus wasn't made.

The Space Jockey was a big alien elephant, and that's all we needed to know.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Kramdar posted:

That’s kind of the feeling I had when I was a kid. Never having watched Doctor Who but having seen neighbor kids watching it on public television and catching bits and pieces, I finally see buckaroo bonzai around the same time and I’m like is this the same thing?

Check out The Venture Bros' episode "Escape from the House of Mummies Part 2." There wasn't a part one, and the entire episode is a continuing adventure that we never saw.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

It's a shame they didn't do poo poo like that more often. Venture Brothers was always best when it wasn't leaning on itself too hard.

I enjoy the entire series, but it got stuck up its own rear end big time. Sometimes you don't want to have to worry about having seen every episode of the past four seasons. The standalone episodes were amazing.

It's why I think episodes like Ghosts of the Sargasso are the best, even though that one requires backstory as well.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

During the first "Witness!" scene Slit tries to killsteal Marsov, the warboy who does the suicide attack, and he shouts "Mediocre!" afterwards cause hes the Warboy equiv. of that dude on your Overwatch Team who loses and won't stop screaming about how many elims he got

Thats Slit on the left there at the end.

I always saw Slit throwing the spear, but I never thought of it as killstealing until now. I didn't know it was him yelling "Mediocre." It makes perfect sense considering his attitude throughout.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

oldpainless posted:

I remember Miller gave an interview saying that Max was more of a human cheat code than anything else. Basically, if max is on your side, you’re almost guaranteed victory.

Just at a massive cost to your people. Basically the entire leadership is killed off in Road Warrior. I mean, they were all on the distraction truck with Max, so there was already a big risk to them, but they all died.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

That movie has a lot of problems, but casting isn't one of them. Kelsey Grammer is perfect as Beast, and even Vinnie Jones is good as Juggernaut.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Not Operator posted:

Which makes the intro fight against The Hulk all the better, because you know its pure Thanos.

You never see the power stone light up during that fight? I know he already has it at that point.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

CrRoMa posted:

I've read 108 pages of thread without wanting to post but i just wanted to say this is brilliant.

Wow, I was trying to remember when I wrote that post, and it was three years ago?? Crazy.

I'm definitely stretching the "Hammond's ice cream eating saved everybody" but I definitely think that they wrote in Hammond eating the ice cream leading to Tim being able to survive in the kitchen.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

I have to say, turning The Vulture into an actually frightening and powerful villain is not something I expected.

I mean, I thought the best person to play Vulture was Ben Kingsley before this movie came out.

Consider what I remember

Versus what we got

IIRC, John Malkovich was in talks to play Vulture in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 4. I would have been down with that.

That said, Michael Keaton was loving awesome as Vulture and one of the best MCU villians overall. I like that they made the Vulture into a guy who made his money through scavenging instead of just being another mad scientist with a super suit, though.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I would pay good money for "Hippocrates, a friend of Socrates" to be played out on the big screen.

I still say this on occasion, followed up by a parrot sqwack.

Edit: just looked for the clip, and apparently it's Hermocrates, not Hippocrates.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jun 27, 2018

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Temple of Doom is a whole lot of great scenes wrapped together in a not-so-great movie, but it's still better than Crystal Skull.

The Shanghai scenes are great, the trek through the jungle is great, the bug tunnel/Spike room is great, Mola Ram is great. Everything after they enter the bug tunnel works well, and Short Round is a really fun sidekick.

Kate Capshaw is bad, but she's supposed to be the antithesis of Marion. She isn't capable. She's a showgirl. Unfortunately, she's annoying as hell.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She got unkilled in a post credits scene. :ssh:

The theater we saw it in burst out cheering when "Turn Back Time" started playing. Apparently it was an older skewing theater, because it was instantly recognized.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

No Hail to the Chimp.

7/10

"Monkey see, monkey coup" brings it right back to 10/10 though. That's absolutely perfect.

While Star Wars may not like his puns, I'm glad Star Trek lets him go nuts. Here's the tracklist from Star Trek Beyond:

quote:

1."Logo and Prosper"
2."Thank Your Lucky Star Date"
3."Night on the Yorktown"
4."The Dance of the Nebula"
5."A Swarm Reception"
6."Hitting the Saucer a Little Hard"
7."Jaylah Damage"
8."In Artifacts as in Life"
9."Franklin, My Dear"
10."A Lesson in Vulcan Mineralogy"
11."MotorCycles of Relief"
12."Mocking Jaylah"
13."Crash Decisions"
14."Krall-y Krall-y Oxen Free"
15."Shutdown Happens"
16."Cater-Krall in Zero G"
17."Par-tay for the Course"
18."Star Trek Main Theme"

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Sep 1, 2018

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's another thing I just noticed about Starship Troopers.

All the main guys are from Buenos Aires, yet at high school they play a future version of American Football, instead of a future version of Soccer.

In no way shape or form, I don't care how fascist and controlling the over-reaching government is, would Argentina give up playing Soccer in favour of Gridiron.

Edit: I am an idiot who momentarily forgot simple Geography. I am worthy of nothing but scorn and ridicule.

Remember, all the main characters are whiter than white, and the movie even says "nothing lives in what was once called the Latin Paradise." We don't see a Latin Paradise. We just see lots of white kids, even though they have the last names of Rico, Flores, and Ibanez. Argentina may be the whitest of the South American countries, but it's not that white. Something happened to keep that post-WWII European immigration going.

Also, we tend to forget that during WWII Argentina was a fascist country that was technically neutral, but only declared for the Allies and declared war on the Axis in March of 1945. They were Axis sympathizers until we bullied them into joining the Allies. They would have welcomed an Axis victory.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Sep 11, 2018

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

rydiafan posted:

In the final fight against Roger Moore the main character is literally "a big cop in a small town".

It was crazy when it turned out George Lazenby was the bad guy all along.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Hockles posted:

So, he wanted the movie to end like Return of the Jedi and Happy Gilmore?

Between this and the "Gladiator II is resurrected Russell Crowe as a god of war fighting through all of history's wars" I'd love to see all the crazy ideas that Hollywood could come up with.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Cleretic posted:

But they did cast Mike Myers as the record exec who tries to argue against releasing Bohemian Rhapsody as a single, because they want a single that kids will play in their car driving down the freeway, and Bohemian Rhapsody can't be that.

Yeah,they created a role for that joke, and to make an antagonist, because EMI's chief actually loved Queen and felt bad about Bohemian Rhapsody being too long for a single, but he was trying to be realistic about it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Also he's constipated because of all the heroin.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

syscall girl posted:

gently caress Spielberg generally (Schindler's List and uh a bunch of other things notwithstanding) but watch AI

It's Pinocchio but with Oedipal issues!

Not really sure where this mentality is coming from. First, Raiders of the Lost Ark basically gives Spielberg a pass for everything ever in my view, but he's made a lot of great popcorn movies. Yeah, his movies haven't been as good recently, but he still has a good eye and even his bad movies are still very watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

My favorite movies are Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, and Army of Darkness. Do your worst, subtle movie thread.