Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I love the magazines in Blade Runner, they're crazy as poo poo.

Death penalty snuffs 12 jurors in freak accident. With a full color spread too.

Scratch & sniff centerfold :gonk:

More here: http://sciencefiction.tumblr.com/post/23608072333/these-are-fictional-magazine-covers-from-blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's especially funny cause he goes "schiess den fenster" a couple times but the henchmen don't get it. The he yells "shoot the glass" and they do.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ProfessorProf posted:

Any points Jurrasic Park gets elsewhere for decent representations of technology, it loses for 3D Flight Simulator UNIX Shell. :colbert:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070409024417/http://www.sgi.com/fun/freeware/3d_navigator.html

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was gonna say, once you read about how Ken Kesey thought that mental illness literally did not exist and was just The Man keeping people down for being different it completely changes how you perceive the Chief's scizophrenic ramblings.

What no please don't say this is true

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cakefool posted:

View the take you want to follow, trim and light another cigarette to match.

They don't necessarily know which takes will be used during filming.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

krnhotwings posted:

In Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when Joel and Clementine meet in the train at the beginning of the movie, Clementine mentions Huckleberry Hound and "My Darling, Clementine," and Joel says that he has no idea what she's talking about.

At the end of the movie at the beach party where Joel and Clementine actually first met, it was Joel who came up with the Huckleberry Hound thing. (So after having their memories erased, Joel forgot about the joke while Clementine remembered it.)

I took it as meaning he didn't even remember the show any more (not just the reference), because they were deleting any memory that was connected to her.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jabby posted:

It always kind of bugged me that Ellen Paige's character showed that the 'builder' had almost total conscious control over the dream world, but they never use that to their tactical advantage against the projections. Maybe they're afraid it will make it worse or something, but they should have nearly godlike power dammit.

JGL does the staircase perspective trick to one of the projections before he sets up the elevator kick, but that's it I think.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

If they had never seen anything flying, why would they have the word "flight?"

So, telepathy & telekinesis exist? Or did when the words were thought up?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

For the sake of everybody; stop puttting like super hero movie poo poo in spoiler tags.

If people are really worried about being spoiled on super hero movies, it's just that they haven't realized which issue that's been turned into a movie, literally, because they are giant nerds that own every single issue of every single comic book. Literally, there is no middle ground. If you care about comic book movies, you are a comic book.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's a big pool with underwater lighting, but the water isn't going crazy really. Just ripply.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That poo poo wouldn't go through QA for my childhood legos.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hockles posted:

re:Gypsy --

It's also where the term "I got gypped" came from.

lol at citing urban dictionary, even if it happens to be correct.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Danes sounds kinda nasal when their speaking American/English, it's the same with Viggo Mortensen.

Viggo was born and raised in America and has a heavy American accent when speaking Danish.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MindlessHavok posted:

Whenever I get drunk I affect a british accent and I've never even been to europe.

Ugh, you're That Guy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

What the gently caress is up with the perspective there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Watched '71 with the family. It's really well made imo. A nice touch that may be spoilery:

When Hook gets his wound sewed up by the guy in the flat, the daughter puts her hand on his chest to calm him. Later, Hook stabs a guy in the chest, and as his lungs fill with blood, Hook puts his hand on his chest and he calms.

Also, the phrase "The situation is confused" is repeatedly used as a way to smokescreen the reality.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think some of the posters are using subtle to mean "understated", which a thing can easily be without being subtle as "not obvious". Haven't seen the movie, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Coffee And Pie posted:

What's with fashionable old dudes in translucent glasses nowadays? Is that a thing in places other than superhero movies?

Non-translucent glasses tend to stymie whatever they're trying to accomplish

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krispy Kareem posted:

Okay okay, I'll watch it this weekend.

I mean, I enjoy John Carpenter movies (watched Christine just last night) and I like Kurt Russell. Again, I have no idea why I haven't seen it except I remember reading bad reviews about it back when I still cared what movie critics said about movies.

One of the first things I learned about movie reviews is that it doesn't matter if the movie gets a bad or a good review. If you are familiar with a reviewer's likes and dislikes, their pet peeves and such, reading their review can tell you with like 95% certainty if you'll like the movie or not. Doesn't matter if they hate the movie or love it. Being familiar with the reviewer is enough to translate their verdict into a recommendation pro or con.

It's why I'm sad Danish reviewer Ole Michelsen retired. He was very much an arthouse fan, but he reviewed everything. It blew my mind when he gave the first Matrix 4 "hats" but he was right. It's very much a "ramashang" movie, but it delivers on everything. I wonder if he actually was still around when the sequels came out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Crow Jane posted:

For whatever reason, I don't usually read movie reviews until after I've seen it. I guess sometimes it helps me make sense of things?

I still miss reading what Roger Ebert has to say. I bet he would've loved Mad Max :smith:

I don't really either to be honest. But if I'm in doubt, I'll check out a review from a familiar reviwer and know for sure.

Here's a simulation of Ole Michelsen (from a demo scene produciton, he provides the actual voice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-KjY2NVB7g

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Red Bones posted:

To get away from the mystery phrase chat, someone in another thread linked the scene in Indiana Jones where he's teaching a class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmkJ0lrCpLQ

I don't think I noticed before but while never get a wide shot of the entire classroom to emphasise this, it becomes clear by the end of the scene that the class is like 90% young girls. It's a good little joke that builds on the rest of the scene.

It's clear from the first shot of the class that they're mostly young girls, and when you consider how adamant George Lucas was on Indiana Jones being a pedophile, it's not that surprising.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.
Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.
Kasdan: And he was forty-two.
Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.
Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.
Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.
Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.
Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...
Spielberg: She has pictures of him.
Lucas: There would be a picture on the mantle of her, her father, and him. She was madly in love with him at the time and he left her because obviously it wouldn't work out. Now she's twenty-five and she's been living in Nepal since she was eighteen. It's not only that they like each other, it's a very bizarre thing, it puts a whole new perspective on this whole thing. It gives you lots of stuff to play off of between them. Maybe she still likes him. It's something he'd rather forget about and not have come up again. This gives her a lot of ammunition to fight with.
Spielberg: In a way, she could say, "You've made me this hard."

http://maddogmovies.com/almost/scripts/raidersstoryconference1978.pdf

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shades of the same joke really. The dudes are there to highlight the women, without them it could be a girls college.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Professor Shark posted:

I cannot get over how Lucas had his entire career fall into his lap despite his best efforts :psyduck:

Really it's a miracle. It's a really good movie too, just pretend it's from the 80s :D

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

LES COUSINS DANGEREUX

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The animatronic T-Rex was stationary. They'd need to do something like have it on a moving platform and CGI away the platform and put in legs for it to drag the jeep, seems a bit out of reach at the time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HenryEx posted:

:raise: Am i missing a joke? Of course he does.

its p subtle though, like the fact that Bob Hoskins isn't drawn, he's a real guy in real life.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

One time I saw him walking down the streat

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EmmyOk posted:

What are mooncrickets and tar babies?

http://www.rsdb.org/races (search is broken apparently, just use ctrl-f or cmd-f)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MariusLecter posted:

Oh, so that flattened out guy with tire treads on him threw himself into traffic. lol

Ironically he ran into a mailbox

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Steve Martin is very pleased with having John Candy's hands in his rear end until he wakes up and has to put on his macho businessman facade. Also the awkward kiss when he finally gets home to his beard. Yeah.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I like the one where he tricks a mentally impaired Drew Barrymore into having sex.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Memento posted:

One of the things I've gotten better at as I get older is turning poo poo off. My wife and I have been enjoying The Blacklist because we like James Spader's performance in it, so we decided to check out some of his older stuff.

Secretary got about 25 minutes of our life before we turned it off. What a shitpile that movie is.

I agree with your sentiment, but Secretary was worth a watch. It's weird and creepy, but the acting is superb. It's like Night Crawler in a way.

Generally though, I hells of agree. It's like when people say "oh don't worry, it gets good by season 3". gently caress if I'm going to watch 3 seasons before it gets good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Professor Shark posted:

I normally agree with this, but I've been telling whoever will listen to me to watch Season 1 of The Leftovers so that they can see Season 2

I actually watched all of Season 1 because I was bored & hoping for something to latch onto at the time. I think I understand that the event will never be explained, but I just hate every single character. I get that the event hosed everyone up & I shouldn't expect them to act rationally whatever, but they are just not my kind of people. Except perhaps Christopher Eccleston's priest, he had some heart.

I especially did not like the cop and his family. I'll say I got some guilty enjoyment from that horrible person being killed with rocks.

How do you envisage my theoretical enjoyment of season 2, if I were to watch it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I did not care for the dog man either. All in all those things sound like I'll try and ep or two, but if I don't like it I will gently caress you up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I feel like I have disproven myself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Not right now jeez, give me at least a couple days or something. I got poo poo to do.

I meant that I started out complaining about people wanting me to watch just a little more, and now you've convinced me to watch just a little more. Mine petard hath hoisted me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Professor Shark posted:

Those people were stupid, I wouldn't have believed anyone who told me to watch Season 1 because it got better.

But I'm Professor Shark telling you to watch Season 2 because it's better, and if you don't believe me Google "The Leftovers Season 2 Better" and you'll quickly see that most critics agree and that the change in quality was unexpectedly awesome

Pretty sure you can even google like "Star Wars New Trilogy Better" and find arguments for that, so nice try. Also you're starting to dissuade me. You seem too invested in me watching it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jon Lovitz is cool imo.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070813010926/http://stu.wccnet.org/~dlane24/whatadick.swf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

kizudarake posted:

To be fair, I always recommend that you power through 1st season of Trailer Park Boys because season 1 is ok, but season 2 is where it gets really good.

But season 1 is only 6 half hour episodes.

True, but it's a comedy series with some continuity. You can hook people with a random great episode without having to worry about explaining tons of relationships..

Like Always Sunny, you can basically skip the first season and watch it later. It's like a pilot season. There's some good stuff, but it isn't until Frank is introduced that it really gets good. I like to show newcomers "Who Pooped the Bed" because it's so strange, and the wolf-hair/credit cards/inconclusive bit.