Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
new kickstarter idea: chastity belt with integrated bottle opener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sham bam bamina! posted:

you're supposed to stick them inside your shirt's collar

where they will never be seen by anybody

:rolleye:

when you carefully take them out of your starched collar and place them on a table next to the bed hosting your shameful one night stand, that "lucky" man/woman will observe two things:

1. you worry too much about collars

2. oh sweet you have an awkward tattoo-looking thing on your $0.35 plastic collar stays. that definitely reflects your unique personality !

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

coffeetable posted:

just looked up the JOBS act

its like enron 1929 never happened

don't forget the SEC's no-action letter about the goldman/facebook shennanigans. there are now essentially no limitations to a private stock offering

thanks, obama

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

fish in fish and chips is fried in batter, not breadcrumbs - basically the same stuff as pancake batter but slightly thicker and obviously unsweetened. it has to be heavily whisked to get air into it, otherwise you get a hard crust rather than a light crunchy one. for some reason every single "proper" chef manages to miss that step and it just loving ruins it

(alternatively they try and make a beer batter where the co2 from the beer replaces the whipping but they forget to let it stand and all that happens is all the co2 explodes out the moment it hits the oil so you're left with the same hard, stodgy crust but with the taste of stale beer too)

beer battered chicken is even better than beer battered fish

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

ive always wanted a system for bars and restaurants where you get to lock your phone away while it charges but im not a spergineer so i know you cant solve social problems with hardware

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there's a company that sells mobile phone charging lockers, you see them dotted around shopping centres and stuff - but nobody is ever going to lock their phone away in a bar because what else can you do if there's even the tiniest lapse in conversation but incessantly scroll through old emails trying to make it look to everyone else in your group that you have some sort of social life even though none of them are noticing it because they're doing the exact same loving thing?

i have seen charging stations in bars a few time, but they never have lockers.... you're expected to just plug in your $600 smartphone and i guess stand right next to the station so nobody steals the most-easily-fenced thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

WorkingPeer posted:

this is cook's illustrated's top recommended 12-inch non-stick pan. buy it and love it: http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Professional-Thermo-Spot-Indicator-Dishwasher/dp/B000GWG0T2

t-fal is not v. durable

(also most of them are made in china. idk about this particular model)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

incidentally, this is why everyone thinks people from nyc/the general area is "rude" and "mean". because the standard way to talk to a stranger is the way that full of themselves faux politeness areas reserve for talking to close friends.

new yorkers are perfectly nice people, but you will never hear "bless your heart"

i consider this a feature not a bug

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

what do you do on say a weekend if you and your SO want to go to different places

i did the math and owning a car was costing me about $600/mo. maybe you have cheaper insurance or drive crappier cars, but that was my number. is it seriously worth $600/mo to resolve a conflict that arises a maximum of four times a month? (the weekends)

i kept two cars despite having a train commute for a while, but when i did the numbers it was stupid. i was mostly keeping the second car just so i could have MY CAR. it was a weird ego thing

i think i put 10 miles on MY CAR the last year i owned it. i had to ask my wife to drive it to work occasionally just to stop it from rotting out in its parking spot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

one of my most favorite parts of that whole debacle is that its all generic mass produced ingredients hes just slapping together and trying to pass of as bespoke handmade hot dogs

i mean if he was even trying to make his own condiments (which isnt loving hard guys) id say ok, at least hes trying. nope. hes just getting thousand and thousands of dollars to open up a bachelor kitchen

it's rural alabama, dude

just using salt and pepper will blow minds

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tori CMOS posted:

Speaking of cars, we have a Mazda3 we owe $5k on and the girlfriend has a thing for the new 3 Wagon, any way we could roll that up without getting hosed over or should we just wait a year?

when you buy a new car, you are doing high stakes negotiating with a pair of professionals (the sales idiot in front of you and the guy in the tower). they negotiate $30k deals all day every day. you do it like, once every couple of years

the point is, you're at a huge disadvantage. every time you make the deal more complicated, you put yourself at a greater disadvantage. why put more balls in the air when you're already competing with a professional juggler?

if you buy cash (or with bank financing) you negotiate:
  • price

if you buy, and have a trade-in, you negotiate:
  • price
  • value of your trade-in

if you buy, and have a trade-in, and you want to roll up into a new loan:
  • price
  • value of your trade-in
  • interest on the loan
  • payment terms

if you lease:
  • lol gently caress this i don't even know all the words for things that get negotiated. this poo poo is complicated just for the sake of being complicated

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tori CMOS posted:

What I'm asking here isn't necessarily what we're buying, but the easiest way to get something else with a year or two left on the current loan. I'm sure there'd be a loving involved somewhere but she wants to know and she likes the people at her dealership and I'm not going to dictate to her where and what she buys unless it's an obvious and real loving.

if you pay off the loan on the current thing, that massively reduces the "surface area" for the dealer to gently caress with you
(if you can't afford to casually pay off a $5k auto loan, maybe you shouldn't be buying a new car)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

if you want a hatchback you can get something thats a few years old that will have plenty of space

owning new cars seems horribly unnecessary unless you have to spend the extra money

good used car deals are much harder to find than they were before the financial crisis. new car sales have slowed, new car leases have slowed even more. not nearly as many 1-2 year cars on the market, lots more people chasing after them.

i'm not sure i would buy/lease a new car but it's not as plumb stupid as it was 5 years ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

so do you willingly have no social life or did it arise accidentally

you post in yospos
pot, kettle, black

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

minivanmegafun posted:

"Okay, but we must bring Dead Inside Darwin with us. He is a terrible teetotaler but he wishes to be the designated driver."
Everyone has a terrible time because some horrendous spergoid has accompanied them.

nobody ever does this, and then they end up needing one of these after a few years. it's not a kickstarter but it's made by a company called quickstartaz so close enough right

http://interlockcup.com/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
hide your shameful dui conviction by pretending to be a goony pre-diabetic who drinks warm soda

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TOOT BOOT posted:

I swear, the LGBT acronym grows a couple letters every time I see it

you're getting old

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

after a lucrative career as a writer and being well respected as a teacher of creative writing, having a lovely wife and children and basically living the american dream he hanged himself

the most touching moments for me in infinite jest were DFW's discussions of depression and addiction. particularly the depression.

the author's suicide should not be a surprise to anyone.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spoiling the subject of The Entertainment gives away nothing and won't change the book for you at all hth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

took a lot of mushrooms and got the darkness so bad i was fortunate that i literally couldn't get off the ground to find a sharp thing to end it all

imagine this for the rest of your life

year after grinding year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

which he never found funny

it's not funny

infinite jest is often farcical in content, but the tone is so dark that it is pretty much never funny.

a book that features The Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment in the proud country of O.N.A.N. nevertheless manages to contain almost nothing that could fly as a joke

if you find yourself busting a gut consider whether you may in fact be a sociopath

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

i didn't say it was funny

critics did

the foreword and blurbs on the back of my copy wouldn't shut up about how riotously funny the book was

now, having read the book, i wonder if those critics being quoted aren't just pod people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

"large heatsink"

jesus loving christ even laptops dont only use passive cooling now

this is using flex funding and is 100% a scam

good job you loving morons

it's a 25 watt amd that is slower than your average cellphone. passive cooling and $300 price targets are not unreasonable

the product itself is bad though. a 2 ghz constantly-throttling amd mobile chip is just dogshit. i don't know what game you think you're gonna run on that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anthonypants posted:

"Play smooth and responsive Call of Duty(r) at 1080p" and there's a mention of someone playing COD4 on it, a game which came out seven years ago. truly a remarkable benchmark.

no loving way

maybe for three seconds before the chip throttles itself when it hits 65C

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

stoutfish posted:

finally, a safe space for gamers to avoid fursecution

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
video games targeted at adults exist, they're just not aaa blockbuster titles

spacechem is not going to set any sales records and that is at least partly because it is unlikely to set most teenage boys hearts athrob

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Proteus4994 posted:

i assume he lives with his mom and dad because 40k/yr is a pretty poo poo salary

e: in fact, i don't even see the point of a 20k target. if you work in your mom's basement you don't need any money. if you live on your own or actually want to start some sort of real business, 20k is hilariously, pretty much pointlessly, low

2k for cheetos, 18k for booth babes at the wrap party in mom's back yard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's actually just about average but he's still a shithead

average wage is around 28k

average salary is higher because salary implies a pretty good job. not really a fair measure

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Al! posted:

in america getting a salary is universally worse than being a high paid hourly employee. that's why unions almost universally reject salaries

unions represent hourly workers by definition. by the same token union work rules etc all revolve around hourly rates because go figure all their members are hourly.

you could in theory apply the same rules to a salary but it would make things more complicated for no reason

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

dont change my name posted:

agreed

salary = chump who is gonna be worked hard like a bitch with no recourse in america

in the u.s., salaried employees are still entitled to overtime pay
(but they ain't gonna ask for it)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yes, tech workers and doctors/nurses/EMTs are blanket exempted from ot requirements :( there are some other blanket carve-outs but those are the two biggies

but virtually no one else. overtime fraud by employers is really, really common. having a salary doesn't make you exempt. being on-call counts for overtime, even if you are not actually working. etc etc etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Al! posted:

do work 10 hours a week or do you occupy an office or a chair and work for only 10 hours of that because there is a huge difference

it's the sad one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

transfatphobic posted:

i lived alone in a nice apartment in baltimore with a brand new car on $40k a year while paying off student loans on time

but youre right i guess i was poor as gently caress because reasons

you lived in baltimore

holy gently caress yes every normal white collar person in america is looking at that behavior (brand new car, lives in baltimore) and saying "christ what dire straits drove him there?"

the answer is: 40k a year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hubris.height posted:

fwiw upper midwest 50k is basically middle class, and rent / mortgage is normally about 600-700 for a very nice two bed room or reasonably nice three

the median income is around 26k, so 50k would be a household with two average incomes in a place with completely average living costs

so no duh that is basically middle class

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Proteus4994 posted:

i mean, can you live on 40k/yr? yes

is it a comfortable life? no

should 40k/yr be a goal? maybe depending on your situation

should 40k/yr be a goal for someone with cs knowledge and a college degree? lol hell no

so here is the heart of it: average americans live like poo poo

but this is yospos so we all have computer careers and money flowing out of our ears and we argue about what kind of steak or beer to buy, not how the gently caress do we put food on the table

it is downright uncomfortable to confront how the average person lives. i suggest not making the attempt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Proteus4994 posted:

nyet

you got hosed homeboy

i assume he works in the middle of loving nowhere

that 63k average is like 80k on the coasts and 50k in the flyovers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

transfatphobic posted:

baltimore is OK on individual streets and then hosed up anywhere else

you know that this is how people describe mogadishu and kinshasa, right?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hubris.height posted:

yeah that's kinda my point

50k in wi is a lot different from 50k in maryland and ny god drat

median household income in nyc is not significantly different from the rest of the country, despite the cost of living.

most of maryland is meth country.

average americans suffer everywhere you go.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

transfatphobic posted:

why the actual gently caress would i know that

you talk about your hometown the way expats discuss tortured third-world capitals, i couldn't help but notice the similarity

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

best. kickstarter. ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

power botton posted:

just stopping into the thread to mention that I'm crazy rich welp hape you all have a nice day

yeah it was totally subtle and understated until now

• Locked thread