Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Earwicker posted:

I wish they would make Medieval 3 but just completely replace the strategic/political portion of the game with Crusader Kings 2. Like the game would be identical to CK2 except whenever there's a battle you go into a nice realtime TotalWar battle with great graphics etc. They can take the resources they'll save from not having to do a strategic game and use them on making more funny speeches based on commanders' traits.

Yup, this is basically my dream game. One problem though (apart from it unfortunately never, ever happening) is that battles in CK2 have to potential to be way, WAY bigger than what even a good computer could run with Total War's engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

In NTW, is Napoleon himself unkillable? I'm playing as Austria, which means I'm literally the only Coalition member that shares a direct border with France. Britain spends all of its time rearranging its troops in London, Russia sends out a regiment every now and then that dicks around in Bavaria doing nothing, and Prussia won't declare war on France no matter how much I beg and plead.

Really, nothing would satisfy me more than watching that puny Corsican's head get blown off by a cannonball.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

My favorite Empire memory was sieging a city and the enemy decided to sally forth with a full stack of troops and militia. For those unfamiliar: Empire's battle AI tactics were inevitably the same very single battle: put all of your infantry into one gigantic line and march directly ahead. Problem is that in a siege battle, all of their men start inside the fortress, so one by one their entire stack files out of the fort and makes a gigantic line that intersects directly with the fort itself, but they don't care. A full half-hour later (don't want to tire out your troops by running, natch) they're ready to attack, and naturally when they start marching forward the part of the line inside the fort gets caught on the wall and has to file out one man at a time. :eng99:

The entire battle took about 45 minutes, including maybe three minutes of actual shooting and ten minutes of picking off the men who were befuddled by the fort wall one by one.

Empire was my introduction to Total War and still the one I have the most hours on, although I do agree with the thread that Shogun 2 is probably the best one.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I picked up Total Warhammer when it was in the Humble Bundle a couple of months ago, but unfortunately that was just a hot second before I started getting back into a Crusader Kings mood. I'm sure I'll give it another try in a few hundred hours.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

"Bayonet mod" makes the gun troops in FotS use bayonets in melee combat (As opposed to yari)

IIRC this one works by having bayoneted rifles use spear animations, resulting in this:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

So the HISTORY one, Vikings do you reckon?

A Great Heathen Army total war game/campaign focused on the British Isles would be loving sweet. Two or three different Viking factions, Wessex, Mercia, Gwynedd, Scots.... if you want to go down alt-history, you could even face invasions from the Norwegians or Normans or Carolingians.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

maybe Alfred the Great.

My money's on this. A semi-historical King Arthur vs. the Saxons campaign would be sweet, though.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That dude's armor looking pop-romanesque makes me think more King Arthur/romano-britons vs saxons.

Also, that'd be a good period to include "heroes" with skill trees like in Warhammer. Pseudo-mythical dudes with cool skills would be really fun, nothing as OTT as in TWW but the same system with scaled-back abilites.

gently caress yeah this would own. You could even have quest battles where you get Excalibur and the Holy Grail and stuff. If they threw in Shogun II-style aesthetic customization for Arthur where you could pimp out his armor and horse I might never play another game.

EDIT: or, better yet, quest battles to recruit more Knights of the Round Table, after which they give you missions to level them up or get unique abilities. "Hey Art, it's Lance. There's this Saxon dickhead up in York whose rear end I want to kick. After this I can duel-wield swords like I did in that one Clive Owen movie. You in?"

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 6, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Fangz posted:

I hope ACW: Total War would let me win the war as the Canadians.

Civil War: Total War focusing on all of North America would be pretty cool, actually. In addition to the Union and Confederacy you could have Canada, Imperial Mexico, Republican Mexico, and a native tribe or two as playable factions, with Britain, France, and/or Spain as late-game interventions in either the American or Mexican wars.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I would hope an ACW TW would cover North America. There should at least be more than 2 playable factions.

...maybe make each state as a separate playable faction?

Maybe not at the beginning of the game, but it'd be cool if states could secede and become their own faction if the war is going shittily enough. Not all states, necessarily, but definitely Texas or California or New England. Hell, maybe Quebec gets fed up with this whole 'ruled by the Anglophones' thing.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Rookersh posted:

And that seems to be a pretty common divide now. I'm seeing people say they can't play Warhammer because of the lack of complexity, and seeing people say they don't want to play Rome 2/Attila anymore because they've become too complex. How the hell does CA work through that? How do they make a game that appeals to both groups now.

Focus entirely on the war side. It's called Total War for a reason. If people want more complex politics/trade/character interactions, play a Paradox game. :ms:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Announcement tomorrow, tagline being “Kings will rise”.

Great Heathen Army would be sweet (and is probably the most likely) but I'd kill for a low-fantasy King Arthur game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Awesome. I'm digging the completely different depictions of Alfred in The Last Kingdom vs here: shrewd, canny negotiator vs. hulking sword-wielding asskicker. If nothing else this game will crank out some kickin' rad concept art:

Hopefully the Total War version manages to capture some of Alfred's subtleties too, the dude really was a superhuman administrator.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 14, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't understand Shogun 2 ships at all, the damage you take/do is dependent on the little guys positioning on the ship itself, which you don't control. No clue what the deal is.

Honestly, the Shogun naval combat is pretty simple.

1. Convert to Christianity
2. Acquire Nanban trade ships
3. Kill everything

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

From now on I will always refer to Nottingham as Snotingham.

I wonder if they'll take a page from CK2's book and change province/city names depending on who's holding them. I always liked how if the Welsh conquered England they'd call it Lloegyr, for example.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

BBJoey posted:

i’ve been playing rome 2 (the empire divided campaign) and there’s not many synced animations and soldiers keep formation to sometimes absurd degrees. did they backport the warhammer system or are you guys crazy

Hopefully they manage to keep this for Thrones of Britannia, because the shield wall was the go-to strategy for pretty much everybody at the time.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cao Cao did nothing wrong. Wei for life.

Unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeSMpetv34M

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 11, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

For a while I thought it was "welcome to Earf" because I hadn't seen the movie in years and misremembered Will Smith saying it with a giant cigar in his mouth. Turns out I was confusing that with the much better line that comes a few moments later.. :shrug:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 12, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hell yeah to formable kingdoms.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

3K now delayed to Spring 2019 :(

Also first in engine trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhhHecSt3LM

Xiahou Dun confirmed! If there's not a day-1 gigantic scimitar mod I'll be very disappointed.

Also, new dev blog, which confirms both Lame Historically Accurate Mode and Totally Kickass Dynasty Warriors Mode

quote:

How does Classic Mode differ?

Janos: A big difference is how these iconic heroes behave on the battlefield. By default, we adhere to the romanticised view: these characters can hold their own against hundreds of rank-and-file warriors. They’ll appear as single character units and fight like the heroes from Luo Guanzhong’s epic. In Classic Mode, they’ll appear in battle the way you might expect a classic Total War general to do: they’re only human, and will march into battle at the centre of a bodyguard unit.

In short: by default, characters in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS take centre stage in battle, helping to turn the tide with their flamboyant Wushu martial arts or strategic prowess. But Classic Mode focuses more on historical troop manoeuvres, where victory is defined by superior army composition and battle tactics.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

there's no loving shortage of them

there's a decent number of characters and factions who are brought up solely so one of the Big Boys can demonstrate the largeness and aggressive nature of their sons. biggest one is probably Dong Zhuo, who is straight out of central Evil Vizier casting

Dong Zhou is a huge deal though, and he's got a whole roster of vassals and other characters associated him like Lu Bu. Pontus is more like Liu Biao or Zhang Xiu or someone who didn't even get a unique character model in Dynasty Warriors

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-07-hands-on-with-the-romantic-battles-of-total-war-three-kingdoms

Unfff this sounds incredible

Eurogamer posted:

Leaning even further into the emphasis on characters in the romance mode is the introduction of Duels - strictly one-on-one wushu combat between two opposing generals. At just about any time, you can select any combat-based general in battle and click the "Duel" button to bring up options of duellable enemy commanders. Select one - in this case my only option was Lu Bu - and they'll run off to face them. Nearby warriors will clear off, and the camera will zoom into a kind of cinematic showdown. You can affect this by pressing any active abilities that your commander might have, and by weakening the opponent first in standard combat, but from what I saw that's about it - once they're locked in combat it's a fight to the death (or someone running away), and it can be absolutely decisive.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hopefully they bring back the Shogun 2 animations where swords and spears actually clash and every kill is a sync kill, as opposed to Warhammer where for the most part dudes just wave their weapons around and people die.

Should be doable, now that everyone is just a normal human again and there aren't as many animation rigs to sync up.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Those mid-battle insults are Dynasty Warriors as gently caress. Zhang Liao :allears:

And the Xiahou Dun-Lu Bu duel is everything I hoped for with the general duels. Hopefully if you jack Lu Bu's horse and spear your ingame model actually changes to include them-- Warhammer was kinda disappointing in that regard.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

You can see some more of the duelling at the end of this interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFQHDRXiyfM

Xu Zhu not fat, preorder cancelled

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

otomo are fun if you like guns, their unique unit is basically katana samurai with guns

Otomo owns. gently caress diplomacy, praise the Lord, and blow everyone away with gunpowder, Portuguese mercenaries, and massive warships. :catholic: :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Plan Z posted:

I just really hope 3K doesn't have the garbage-looking melee of the Empire-through-Britannia engine. Warhammer was just such a breath of fresh air after the doofy-looking bowling pin people bouncing off each other.

I've got close to 100 hours in Warhammer 1 and I probably ought to try more factions than just the Empire or Bretonnia, but a well-executed cavalry charge is so goddamn satisfying I can't bring myself to play anyone else.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Anno posted:

Honorable characters also don’t kill characters they defeat in a duel.

Huh. Note to self: when I run into Zhuge Liang, make sure to engage him with a dishonorable general who won't hesitate to take that punk's head clean off

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I would do shameful things for a Total War with a Nemesis system :allears:

"Hey Xiahou! Last time we met you death-stomped my archers with your cavalry, so now I brought pikes! Time to take your other eye, sucker!"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Can't wait for the rest of China to feel the power of my ~maaaaaaaagiiiiiiiiic~

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Creative Assembly posted:

What kind of player is Yuan Shao for?

The kind of player that likes cao cao to beat their rear end like a drum lmao

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Chortles posted:

what would you say if I told you that the Peach Garden Oath brothers don't actually hold any commanderies at the start of the campaign and appear to be a Warhammer 2-style horde?

That's actually the first thing I've heard so far that would make me actually want to play them. Conquering your own dominion from nothing sounds pretty loving badass, in fact

E: only if Liu Bei gets to dual-wield swords like he does in the novel, though

EDIT2: According to this if you don't have a son you can pick one of your brothers to be your heir instead, so uh, goodbye lame holier-than-thou Liu Bei Shu, hello drunken partying Zhang Fei Shu

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 13, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

How hard will it be to get the swarthy bandit and guan yu out of the criminal liu bei’s faction and into whatever cool one I’m playing instead?

Me, next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucRAzxS9r0c&t=152s

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The closest game to a TW knockoff was the King Arthur game, the first one was pretty decent but the sequel went in a different direction. Anyway so ended the only real competitor to Creative Assembly games.

Man, it's a shame that CA did a Britain-focused game so recently, because the gameplay of Three Kingdoms looks like the perfect frame for a low-fantasy King Arthur: Total War.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Picking this up tonight -- how easy would it be, theoretically, to name Guan Yu as the heir to Shu and then get that limpdick Liu Bei killed, giving you the kickass omega-beard God of War as your king instead of some whiner about BENEVOLENCE?

Asking for a friend.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

I'm playing Cao Cao. Xiahou Dun is failing me!

Same, but my Xiahou Dun's whooping rear end, got four enemy officer kills under his belt and it's only 194. Anyone know how to get his eyepatch?

Also, the unit markings turning black on snow maps is a godsend.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Devorum posted:

Should I be trying to match up my officers with troops that match their type, or does that matter so much?

Yeah I'm wondering this too. Currently I have Cao Cao and Xiahou Yuan anchoring my front lines while Xiahou Dun leads the cavalry but maybe the Xiahou cousins should be swapped?

EDIT: now that I say that out loud they absolutely should be even if the units didn't matter, Yuan gets an insane charge bonus as his special ability and Dun should be as close to the front as possible so he can hunt down and kill enemy officers

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 24, 2019

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

My Cao Cao campaign has been a bit of a mixed bag so far.

On one hand, Yuan Shao has conquered or vassalized pretty much everyone north of the Yangtze, and has four doomstacks beelining towards my territory. Meanwhile, Sun Jian has taken the entire south and it's only a matter of time before he decides I'm the next target.

On the other hand, I just hired Lu Bu.

:getin:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wonder if you can mod in portraits for historical characters who currently just have generic protraits. I wonder how long until someone makes a Koei portrait mod.

I'd love a Koei weapons mod too. Xiahou Dun is still the Baddest Dude in China, but he'd be even cooler with his gigantic scimitar. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Does it work if you're already at war with their overlord? I tried getting Kong Rong to rebel against Yuan Shao and it did squat, although that might be in part due to the bugged Yuan vassal fuckery.