Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is Warpath any good? My FLGS has a bunch for next to nothing so I might pick it up if it's any fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

The beta rules for, what I guess they're going to call the 1st edition, are up for testing at the moment. Not sure if anyone here has tried them yet, but they're a fair bit different from the previous two releases, so tough to say. There's going to be two rule sets, one for apocalypse style mass battle - which is the current beta - and one for bolt action sized platoon to company battles, which is still being written.

Some of what your FLGS is selling will have been replaced by stuff under design/production from the Kickstarter. Depends how cheap it is and how much you like them, really, but all of it will be usable.

Guess I'll get some of it just for the hell of it. It's ~$15 for a 2 player starter set so I can't really go wrong.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's Fate of the Forgestar. They also have a bunch of army boxes and some smaller boxes, which might be a better deal than buying multiple starter sets.
I didn't know about the loyalty points, that's pretty cool. I already have a small pile from the Kings of War sets I bought at the same price so I'll what they have on offer.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are Mantic's customer service manned by idiots? I asked for an order for a science fiction crazy box to be cancelled, because I wanted an uber crazy box instead. It clearly says 'cancelled' in my order view, but now they won't refund me because I should have cancelled it myself through the website, which seems impossible. They even say that they shipped it, even though it says cancelled.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Daedleh posted:

Who are you speaking with?

Rich. I got through to someone else through facebook, and got another reply from Rich shortly after. He couldn't tell a 5 from a 7 so he was looking at the wrong order. At least he's looking into it for real now.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think that's just some kind of default response. As in 'we haven't responded yet'. It really confused me when I had an open ticket a while ago.
Things only really started happening when I got mad at them on their facebook page.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are those complete 2000 point armies? If so, I really need to get into this. That seems both affordable and like an amount I'd actually assemble and paint before I get sick of it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That all sounds great. I'll check out the free rules and break out all the first editions skeletons and dwarves that I picked up.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Interestingly, Car Wars 6e was just announced at gencon - introduces factions and HO scale cars.

Finally I can convert an insanely expensive model train into something from Mad Max without looking like a weirdo.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I never learn so I bought a crazy box bundle again this year. I haven't checked it all yet but I'm not disappointed this year! Might be because I didn't get any of their old elves again.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Weirdo posted:

What'd you get? I also could not resist the siren song of the box.

The complete list:
Sci-fi:
2 Astarian drones
4 Asterian guys
vermyn broodmother
Metal enforcer shield guy
2 enforcer jetbikes
a Dreadball orc player
a Dreadball Trontek player
a Dreadball forge father player
Reek Rolat Dreadball MVP
Blaine in boardgame plastic
2 sprues of terrain
5 Forge Father Stormrage Veterans
2 chainsaw mawbeasts
2 marauder snipers
2 marauder commandos
9 Plague 3rd gen guys
2 Plague dog things

Fantasy:
Dungeon saga demon set
2 Forces of the Abyss sprues. 1 is succubi, not sure about the other.
Orc chariot
Undead Revenant Cavalry standard bearer
Lady Ilona
Dungeon saga orc dog monster
Undead Revenant sprue
2 Dungeon Saga Doors

I'm pretty sure my big box was the sci-fi one. I guy I know got a bunch of dwarven badger cavalry in his box and I'm super jealous.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

A guy I know got a bunch of dwarven badger cavalry in his box and I'm super jealous.

Slimnoid posted:

...and a whole goddamn bag of those dwarf badger riders.
I'm super jealous!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

So I've been wanting a unit of abyssal half-breeds for my abyssal dwarf army and I'm in the market for ten of either the half-breeds or orc gore riders*. If you happen to have either of those I'd be down for doing a trade. Unpainted and unassembled would be preferable, but I've done more than my fair share of ebay rescues that it doesn't really bother me so long as they're in good condition.

* I'd actually prefer these because I've converted so much of the AD army at this point that I may as well go full-hog with it.
I don't have anything like that, only a ton of dwarves and undead. Anyway, I'm in Denmark so posting anything anywhere is almost as expensive as buying things from new. It's really killed the trading around here.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

Dang, that sucks. If shipping wasn't so murderous I'd send the badgers your way anyway.

No worries, I'll get a pile of them from somewhere :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Turns out 2 people got me mystery boxes in secret santas. Still no badgers, but lots of other stuff.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new-gear-new-game/product/trident-realm-of-neritica-mega-force.html
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new-gear-new-game/product/trident-realm-of-neritica-army.html

The Snorks army and mega army are up for preorder, and I think for the first time, the smaller army has a unit the mega army doesn't have - water elementals - rather than than the mega army being double a normal army plus a leader and a fancy unit.
That is one of the blandest colorschemes I've ever seen. Who the hell decides that that's great for showing off the great new models.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In Kings of War, how screwed am I if I don't have any ranged or cavalry units? I'm working on an undead army and just noticed that I don't have anything to fill those niches.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Great, thanks! I just traded some stuff for a couple of Balefire catapults, and I rummaged through all my crazy boxes and found 3 Orc Fightwagons and a few sprues of Abyssal flamebearers for allies. That gives me a few more options :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there an overview of the KoW heroes that's in the Destiny of Kings supplement anywhere online? I don't really want to get the book just for that.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I posted:

Can you tell me what happened with the Kings of War painting competition that ran until May 28?
It's still listed under events on your website, but I haven't been able to find anything about the results anywhere.

Mantic posted:

Unfortunately, we didn't receive many entries for the competition - so we're going to relaunch again and have people enter individual units and heroes.

Keep your eye on the blog/social media for more details!

Kind regards,

The Mantic Team
Come on Mantic. I like you guys but at least announce it to the people who did enter the competition instead of just pretending like it never happened. Maybe promote it next time you run something.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone get the crazy boxes this year and can tell what they got? I skipped them this time around, but I still hear their calling in my sleep.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drgnvale posted:

I got the fantasy box, and it's shipped but I have no idea when it will arrive (because Mantic is continuing to not invest in tracking numbers). I'll post an update in the next four months whenever it shows up.
Great! Then I won't be tempted to buy one of them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hellboy boardgame coming to kickstarter: https://manticblog.com/2018/01/05/mantic-games-hellboy-board-game/
I'm semi-psyched.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Not a viking posted:

I had a hard time making it visible, and I don't feel the blue dots is the answer.
You could make it a snowy owl or something like that rainbow owl hoax that circulated some years ago.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

A mate at the FLGS just found a few bags of Undead from "Dwarf King's Hold: Dead Rising" that he's going to dump on me for free. Anyone have any familiarity with these models?
It's a mix of normal skeletons and revenants. I think it's a normal sprue of each, but I could be wrong.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I painted a salamander for my girlfriends D&D game. Pretty nice figure, but it's obvious that it's intended for a bigger unit.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got the Armada 2-playet set as well! I'm a little annoyed that the cards for the tiny ships aren't included, as I don't want to buy the booster boxes just to get them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Easyarmy has Armada list building now, complete with all the cards. It looks like it cost a few $ a month to use it though.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I get that they don't want the usual gyrochopter style for their dwarves, but how does flying giant worms make any sense at all? Just give me a mechanical dragon or something.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm sold on the rulebook bundle. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait getting it because of an insane import fee in combination with an incompetent postal service :(

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Their undead are all pretty great! I consider the skeletons, zombies, and ghouls to be the gold standard for affordable undead minis.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What do I need to be up to date on the Kings of War rules? I bought the Compendium, so I figure that Clash of Kings 2024 cover most of the updates. Are there anything in between the two that I should look at?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

That's it. COK24 is the most up to date army lists, and the online "app" will let you build the armies/check the rules.

No three books to play here!
I'm crying tears of happiness over here! Seriously, that's awesome.

No-one plays it around here, but with the influx of Warhammer Fantasy nerds, I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a few to try it out.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Too late for me to get a free one! I'll be printing my minis, so I only need the clash book. I'll get it from my FLGS, so at least I won't have to pay shipping.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I settled on a Herd army for Kings of War, using One Page Rules' Ratmen. I know there's an actual Ratkin army, but I like druids and stuff better, and I finally have a reason to print some of the fox riders (as chariots).
I've roped a pal into trying out a game, so now I just need to churn out a bunch of minis. Hopefully it stick this time, I've tried to get into the game several times. No one else was interested before, so it's looking bright-ish.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I strongly recommend you give Ambush a try first. It's only 750 points or so that you need to get started and it has fairly straightforward list building. It's a more manageable target for collecting, building, and painting an army (though I guess with 3D printing it's just about wait times for the printer) and it plays very fast while using the majority of the rules in the full game. I played a game this weekend using my old Bretonnians as Kingdoms of Men against my buddy's Undead and it was a lot of fun. I only needed to make space for a 4x4 table as well! Another bonus in tight living conditions.
That's the plan! I found a suggested list of 2 regiments of Spirit Walkers, 1 troop of Longhorns, 1 regiment of Brutes, and a troop of Harpies. And a Druid. That seems pretty good, and has some pieces to move around.
Then I'll add in some more stuff to get to a full list later.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, I should watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there a rules only tier? That's all I want.