Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

The Gunslinger posted:

They are very slow at updating the official coverage map so I would check it out every so often on forums or Coveragemapper. My town was added for like 3 months but they still hadn't updated the coverage map, I found out totally by accident.
Yeah they were putting up a tower between Fort Erie and Port Colborne, which apparently was some big huge secret because it took several months before they would admit anything in Niagara was online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

In the near future, I'll be traveling during the weekends to the Southern Ontario area and would like to keep a pre-paid phone on-hand that will work there. I'm American so I'm clueless to the Canadian telecommunications providers (although I have heard how bad they actually are). My purchasing location options are a Rogers store and a Walmart just across the border. Here's what I'm looking for:

• A dumb phone with a pre-paid plan that has coverage in the Port Colborne/Wainfleet areas
  • The ability to add minutes and not have to worry about them expiring for as long as humanly possible when the phone is left unused
  • Hopefully not get charged out the rear end if I have to make calls to the USA

I have Virgin Mobile USA now and it's been fantastic. However, the phone is pretty much a paperweight once I cross the border unless I stumble upon free Wi-Fi access. Even then I can't make calls unless I get some VoIP service but I really don't want to bother with that. I think it would be easier to just keep a pre-paid Canadian phone on the side when I travel but maybe I'm wrong.
I live in Port Colborne and there is service from everyone here including WIND but I'm not sure how expansive that is. They have coverage in Welland and a tower at the edge of Fort Erie. The main WIND store is at the Pen Centre in St. Catharines but if a cheap poo poo phone is all you need just get one at Walmart/Rogers in Fort Erie.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 1, 2012

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

So I took the plunge and went to Walmart in Canada to buy a pre-paid phone. I had taken into consideration a couple of the suggestions here. However, only one really helped me (gently caress Rogers was the only thing that helped). The reason for that is I just found out that Walmart really only carries Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido and Virgin Mobile.

So I basically thought gently caress Rogers, I'll talk to this female Walmart employee and also read the boxes on the phones. I explained to her that I want a pre-paid phone/plan that won't expire quickly and will also work fairly well in the Port Colborne area. Without hesitation she recommended Telus because they apparently work well in that area due to a decent number of cell towers. I had narrowed it down to Telus and Virgin Mobile, but her comment, the $100/365 day expiry, and the fact that the Telus phone came with a $20 credit sold me. Hopefully I made the right choice.

Cell reception in Port Colborne is not a big issue.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

WIND Mobile: It's Good Enough, Get Over It

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

HipGnosis posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is for data roaming within Canada? My iPhone 3GS has a data block on it right now (long story, I asked Telus to put it on and found it was saving me loads of money so I never told them to take it off) but I'm thinking of having it taken off while on vacation in Banff next month. I have a Toronto number.

Do we get charged extra for data roaming within Canada with Telus? I'm going to be driving around that area so I'd like to have maps and data on in case I get lost but if its going to be US or International rates for data roaming, forget it.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I loving think he's asking because he's not loving clear on what roaming actually is, which was already loving answered a week ago, so why the gently caress are you asking him?

Edit: Ah, the rap sheet explains all.

I'm sure we should all look up to your squeaky-clean posting record, Internet Forums Police Officer Happy_Misanthrope. Tell us about that time you posted only a wall of text in a "post only pictures" thread.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 21, 2012

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm probably gonna order the Nexus 4 right from Google. I have to go to a Fido kiosk to switch to a micro sim, don't I? :smith:

Just go up and ask for a sim. Probably a $10 fee.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Alctel posted:

That's where I am - but its not showing on the coverage map

They lit up my town 2 years ago and it's still showing as "future coverage".

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Sorry to be that guy, but "free market" has no place in any paragraph describing Canada

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Maybe I don't understand people, but that doesn't even make any sense to me. Do rural residents/voters get annoyed at various products/services that enter the market and primarily/exclusively focus on the urban market? If so, they must have to cope with constant disappointment.

You're right you don't understand people.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Terebus posted:

I apologize if this has been talked about and I've missed it. I'm currently on a 3 year Telus plan with 200 anytime/unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited texting and 500MB of data that's ending in October. I'm looking to pick myself up an S4 and I went and shopped around at a bunch of different carriers. They all have the samey plans that will end in me paying upwards of 70 dollars for what I currently have with no benefits besides a small price cut off the phone.

The main option I've been considering is going with Wind mobile but I'm not sure if that's a good choice. I'm currently in Vancouver and I've checked the maps at http://coveragemapper.com/maps.php and Wind seems to have decent coverage in all the places I'm interested in except my house. At my house wind has red signal but so do all the other carriers so I believe it has something to do with the location of my house rather than the Wind network specifically.

The current Wind plan that I'm looking at is $33 for unlimited everything, but after 15GB the data is throttled. Compared to my current $63 Telus plan that's amazing. I'm curious as to other goons' experiences with Wind. I've tried to read about them online and from what I've gathered they're a decent carrier with somewhat spotty coverage but that's to be expected since they're smaller. Apparently their customer service is poor but I hope they have improved in that department. They are offering the S4 for $400 with a $50 trade in bonus for my old phone.

I'm currently inclined to take this offer and if I do have problems with Wind as a carrier, buy the phone outright and move to a different carrier with the bring your own phone promo. What I'm worried about with this plan is if the Wind phone that I'm buying can transfer to any of the big networks without a problem. From what I understand the Wind network operates on a higher frequency than Rogers Bell or Telus so I'm wondering if the phone I purchase from them is specifically designed for the Wind network or if it can work on any Canadian cellular carrier. I'm just asking because from what I understand some American phone models won't work on European networks, so I'm wondering if there's possibly the same restrictions on North American phones.

My other option is to upgrade through Telus but they want me to add an additional $7 dollars to my plan bringing it up to $70 and I don't want any of the addons. They will sell me the S4 for $179 which isn't that much cheaper than the Wind option so I don't like that option, but it is the more well tested network.

Any help will be appreciated. Just to sum up because that was a long post. Is wind a good enough price for $33? If I buy an S4 from Wind mobile will I be able to use it on other Canadian networks if necessary. Is there any better option than Telus otherwise?(From what I've read and seen it seems the answer to this is no)
I can't speak for Vancouver, but I'm on WIND in southern Ontario, outside of the GTA in an area that they've recently thrown up some new towers and expanded their presence. When you go and sign up to their store (or mall kiosk) they will pull up coveragemapper.com and review your neighbourhood to see if you're going to be hosed for signal or not.

It works pretty well. Throttling after 15GB is a total non-issue for me as I don't use that much data.

Remember there is no LTE on WIND and voicemail is only like 8 bucks now.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Is it safe to assume that for the next 5 years the best option is to find the cleanest dick to suck in terms of providers?
I asked in a Wind store and they said that pretty much past Brampton it's $1/MB.

Where past Brampton? North? You're fairly good until you hit Barrie but hosed after that. Also it's just $0.05/MB now but obv you posted this before the 21st.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

eXXon posted:

first, the voice quality is not great. Voices tend to sound tinny/metallic.
This must be your phone.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

When they say they share towers, someone owns the tower and the other provider has a deal where they can put their own equipment on that same tower, so the signal won't always be the same from providers on the same tower.
No it's legit combined into the same equipment (bell/telus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Pivo posted:

I used to work for the company that owns Ting, if you want an occasional runabout pay-as-you-go thing, call the people at Ting, they're great, they'll help you.

If you don't use it, you still have to pay like $6 to keep the line active, but otherwise, yeah, Ting will hook you up. I worked on a totally different product so I can't give you details but Ting prides itself on good customer service so just call them. I think the SIMs are in Kroger or whatever, I don't know your American grocery stores, but basically they're an MVNO on Sprint and T-Mobile (although we're not allowed to use the T-Mobile name)

are you in st. catharines and do support for tucows