Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Lone Rogue posted:

You are not allowed to without the permission of the CSR which you usually will not get.

Um, no - Ontario is a one-party consent province for phone recordings.

One of the reasons that you're told when you call a call center that your call might be recorded for "quality control/etc" is that the rep you call might forget everything is recorded (as they don't hit a "record" button and it's a pretty mind numbing job) and therefore it would be illegal to do so. Or something along those lines - it's been a while since I worked with a bunch of call center pbx guys (their job was to know and cover weird cases like that).

So Martytoof, record away to your heart's (and disk drive's) fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Lexicon posted:

What's the best option these days for parking a Shaw home phone number at a cheap prepaid wireless account (post port)? I'm helping some family friends who are going to be out of the country for the best part of a year, and don't want to surrender the number, but also don't want to pay to keep it active for N months.

I was thinking Speakout Wireless, as the expiry duration for the minutes is a year?

Cheapest is to port to a voip provider, like thespout.ca or voip.ms and get all the extra features for free (forwarding, vmail to email, etc). The parking is basically $3/mo. Also if they've got a voip client, they can use it over the net for cheap calls.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I'm undecided if I want to get it from Rogers or the Play Store directly, I don't really care as I'd probably pay full price/off-contract either way. Just interested in which one would have stock first.

It's the same warehouse in the backend. There's a guy in a cage at the warehouse who activates the phone if you order via Rogers/Bell/whoever. (He's in a cage for security since he's got access to be able to change people's phone billings).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Lexicon posted:

Please elaborate

Last time I was there (okay, a while ago, so maybe they've changed it now but I doubt it), the process was the phone got picked off the warehouse shelf, handed to the guy in the cage who then programs the phone company's billing/activation system with it (and note - they could put it on anyone's account if they so wanted to - hence the physical security, also 1 computer per provider), hands it back out to the picker who then ships the phone to the end customer.

The logistics company dealt with all the providers at the same time.

Basically like any store, except there's a lot more staff running around who are paid minimum wage, so you have to control access to the important bits to just a few people.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I got to say, as a koodo $50/2GB member, that was an extremely painless transfer to the PM $40 plan. 5min total, and that includes acknowledgement from koodo that I left.

Only quirk is that you can't do a port of a koodo/telus number at the opening screen. So you get a new number, then log back into the PM portal, hit change number, and punch in your details.

Kapow, 30 seconds later number was ported and 30s after that got a "we're sorry you're leaving" email from koodo.

Seriously painless and getting the same speeds as I was before. Now I don't worry about running http://speedof.me tests any more.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I use it since it's HTML5 based, so works very well cross platform.

Like any of the speed testing apps, it depends on the server you're connecting to. Ookla (speedtest.net) has basically forced all the major providers to host their own servers (or have gobs of idle bandwidth to the nearest node). Speedof.me isn't that lucky.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Alternative number = "how do we contact you now that we screwed up your phone number with a failed port attempt?"

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They have home phone and one cell line from bell, recently down from two. They're way out in the boonies on Cape Breton. The home phone is because there's no coverage there, and they have satellite internet. Which I believe rules out double play and VoIP scenarios, just on rtt.

From a vacation I took last year (did the Cabot trail/pleasant bay) you're stuck with bell/Telus for cell coverage. But when you get signal it's full speed lte at least. Check out koodo or public Mobile - both are Telus infrastructure.

That being said, look to see if there's any cable tv provider - that's the best chance you've got for any consistent internet.

They're probably stuck with what they have otherwise.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Public Mobile is bringing back the 12GB/90 day promo - at a higher cost though ($141 instead of $120).

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-province-wide-talk-global-text-4gb-45-more-2127890/

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

If they are selling a service in BC that is to be used in BC they should still have to charge PST no?

that's a fight for the local provincial tax auditor - except if they don't have a bc office, it becomes a logistical nightmare for the local government. A very expensive fight that they might loose.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Public is doing another "deal" with referral bonus of 1Gig/1Gig. (ie: Referrer and referal each get a bonus 1G of data). Maxing out at 5G of bonus data. This is on top of the $1/mo credit too.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Sharing-is-Caring-Give-a-Gig-Get-a-Gig/m-p/196981

Of interest - if you have a plan without data - you will get 1G of LTE data (applied to both parties).

So $25/mo unlimited talk+text, becomes a $25/mo, talk+text+1Gig data plan. Which is selling from PM for $35/mo.

Edit: Actually, the way this is worded - you can end up with a $18/mo 5gig plan if you refer 5 people and add $2 autopay credit.
Edit2: Dammit, if someone is signing up, PM me.

unknown fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 8, 2017

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

well then - that is much more Canadian! If it was recurring, that would have been a phenomenal deal. What was I thinking? :eng99:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

tap the phone on it's side on a table. surprisingly it worked for my n5 - I'm still using it 6mo later.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Telus wants people to move so hard it's now $40 for 5gig monthly if you were on the $120/12G/3m (ie: $40/4G) PM plan.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-targeted-public-mobile-12-120-koodo-5gb-40-no-referrals-2173603/

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Shofixti posted:

I'm very skeptical of these offers. They wouldn't be trying so hard to move people off the PM plan and onto Koodo without some sort of strategy for eventually extracting more money from their customers.

It probably has more to do with financial reporting for Telus - prepaid accounts are different from postpaid accounts. And the financial markets only care about postpaid accounts which on average have an associated contract with them.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Just did the conversion from PM to Koodo, and the guy in the booth was saying they have done 137 switches this week alone. As I was working with him, 3 more people came up to do the switch.

I asked about the waving of the Sim card and he was like "did it in the past, but word came down for us to stop for the conversions".

Rogers booth had a hand written sign with 6gb deal for $65. Ouch.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Dillbag posted:

Switching from PM to Koodo has been fine here. A bit more expensive but the network seems to be noticeably faster.

Same - some areas that I had spotty LTE are now solid. I'm thinking that PM was deprioritized on the Telus network or something (if that's at all possible). (These are areas just out of Toronto)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know how spammers are able to go directly to voice mail without leaving me a number to block?

They're accessing the voicemail system directly and not calling you. Some systems allow you to do things like transfer messages and things like that. Other systems allow you to call directly to your voicemail using access numbers (and then selecting a vm box). Kind of how you get your voicemail.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Lexicon posted:

Is there a way to “freeze” your account in such a way that there’s a higher standard for any operation like this? Because that’s scary.

You can request your provider to put a porting lock on your account.

But the problem is that it's generally not checked since residential ports are effectively instant with the major providers having been forced to automate everything by the crtc.

Porting is done without confirmation by the losing party - the process assumes the initiating/receiving party is acting in good faith (hahaha). The loser eventually can object (ie: if there's a lock, or billing issue), and effectively port back the number at that point, but you'll have lost your number in the meantime. There is a mechanism to truly lock a number at the porting agency (the one that coordinates telco routing - I forget it's name), but that's rarely used as it's a manual process.

Sounds hosed? It is - fun thing is that there's companies who's business is truly just watch that routing database and if it sees a number change, it immediately changes it back (also do things like call center failovers, etc).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

First Rogers had a day long outage, now Distributel is trying to match it.

Their entire phone network cross Canada has been down since around 10am. (although it's mostly voip, so that really doesn't mean much).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Cocaine Bear posted:

E: anyone else getting buttloads of "hi" or "hey, can we talk?" texts from random area codes around the country? I'm pretty sure it's hot single women that want to get to know me but I'm too shy to respond.

The spammers are now sending these types of txts to random numbers in order to get the numbers whitelisted as good senders in the spam filters of the telcos.

Later they'll do a huge run to a provider with that source number.

(They're even doing it with phone calls now)

Remember the 00s for weird spam? It's hitting the telco world now.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

some kinda jackal posted:

Is Rogers starting to insert "Likely Spam" into caller ID for suspicious calls now or is this something I added to my phone without remembering it?

It's part of your phone OS.

:eng101: Yes, Apple/Google/etc are tracking your calls - they are making guesses on tagging spam calls when they attempt to do caller-id lookups.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Finally a plan that was the same cost as my legacy 6GB/$40 (now $45) with koodo. Easy to sign up online with the chat, but a touch slow (~35 person queue) and then the chat disconnected right at the end before confirmation, but the guy called me direct to make sure it went through. Those reps are just raking in the commissions on this deal.

If anyone cares, you get a temp/new number and when you get the sim in the mail you call in to port your old phone number over.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

If you are not locked in, there's a bunch of back to school byod 20gb/$45 deals going around from various providers - although you have to slog through retentions and stuff. Check out RedFlagDeals where they're generally posted.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

If you haven't noticed - Many of those recent 20G/$45 plans can now be upgraded to 50G/$45. There's a complete war in the consumer space happening right now in Canada for the US thanksgiving weekend.

Hit the redflagdeals forums for the latest, but there's 100G/$55 plans available from Bell/Rogers - Pixel 7 phones are going for $10/24mo - but even then kiosks are giving out $250 giftcards on top of that, so like free current gen phones.

Go get upgraded if you can!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

codo27 is right - I was on Koodo for quite a while too and did multiple upgrades as well. Koodo used to defined their plans (over multiple years) as small/medium/large/xl/etc, and depending on the phone you wanted you'd need a plan of a size or larger to get the discount and playment plan. The plan generation (ie: in/out market) itself didn't matter.

Edit: Obviously they don't give a poo poo any more.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

LOL, they'll probably keep that "$10/mo discount", but the new base rate is double or something.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Generally that's true, but occasionally there are deals when a new phone comes out (last time was the pixel7).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

The last big deal was the booth at the CNE in August. They were signing up people for bell 1 gig Fibe for $50/mo IIRC. Actually caused momentary competition in the market place with others (rogers/etc) to offer the same deal for like a day or two. Then the cne ended and so did the deals.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

That's unlimited in usage, but severely limited in speed (0.5mbps max). Like email/chat only kind of speeds and generic/non-video web pages.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Yowza, freedom pulling out the big guns already for boxing day/week. $34/30g and can&us.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Freedom upping it to 50gb/can+us data now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

There's a huge number of tiny exchanges in small towns that were setup eons ago and they exploited the fact that they can set the rates that other companies (bell) have to pay for incoming calls (ie to their tiny exchange). Bell didn't give a poo poo what the rate was back then (being the incumbent everywhere else) as they were flat rate to their customers.

Now days places that charge $2/min when the going rate is $0.001/min get filtered out.