Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

shortprsn posted:

Unfortunately, I lost most of the pics I had saved up from the LF days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nanomashoes posted:

IIRC, that was the bar bill for the NHL team that won the Stanley Cup a few years back. Most of it was a 100K bottle of champagne anyway.

EDIT: actually no, that's a receipt from England. Same brand of champagne though. Eat the rich.

Here's that Bruins Stanley Cup bottle service tab:

And have some UN:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Peven Stan posted:

I'm a former Progress Missouri staffer. Assuming they're all part of the same franchise, Progress _______ is basically a labor backed progressive political action group.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rhandhali posted:

You do if you live in a city like New Orleans where they still haven't figured out how to build roads yet. There are holes in the roads bigger than a hatchback, conditions which are considered normal and acceptable.

Those darn New Orleans engineers really need to figure out how to design roads properly! I certainly refuse to blame pervasive inadequate soil conditions or maintenance prioritization for stormwater mitigation infrastructure.

No, they're just lazy about roads.

That's I-10 during hurricane Isaac last year; specifically the elevated section just before LaPlace - water is overtopping around 30 ft high or so.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yep; our soil conditions are some of the worst in the world. Yazoo clay is pretty bad, but I think we've got you beat with I believe is the most expansive soil in the world: Kenner Muck. It's basically layers of marsh soil that accreted over thin layers of vegetation like peat. The stuff is capable of expanding a dozen feet after a good rainfall. It's actually impressive that we're able to design anything at all that can work here for more than a few years, especially when you consider the huge amount of heavy vehicle traffic the local roads must endure from servicing one of the largest ports in the world.

Right now there's a push going on to lift the state's moratorium on permeable pavement for state roadways, in order to help make stormwater drainage cheaper. They banned it back in the 70s after trying to skimp on the bituminous binder (because the energy crisis made the stuff quite expensive at the time) which threw off the durability and caused the roadways to fail catastrophically - which here means that they fail within a few weeks at the end of their operational life.

It's really cool stuff and overall much cheaper than standard superpave asphalt when you take the drainage structures into account, but there's still quite a bit of political stigma associated with it. Recently Brad Pitt mentioned how their driveway was paved with it, so it's gotten a little positive cache which is nice:

When I was still doing my internship, my bosses made sure to harp on the highly political nature of roads. It's certainly not something they cover in school very much.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Photo of the White House in 1907

Look at President Teddy with his bourgeois electricity.

Article

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

emfive posted:

Another notable Rhodes scholar

Yet another notable Rhodes scholar:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Peven Stan posted:

unitarian church down the street

post the unitarianest churches u got

Unity Temple, St. Charles Ave., New Orleans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SurgicalOntologist posted:

How about signchat?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bro Dad posted:

Loving all the goons who think "redneck" is offensive because it might have been over a hundred years ago.

It's just a way rural people (usually from the south) refer to themselves and its not any way comparable to a slur.

Though I'm glad such enlightened folk are ready to defend against any perceived insult on my people's behalf :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyT-jmVswbw

Yes, the properly insulting term you want is "hick"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ryonguy posted:

Nah it's

As in, the goddamn ignorant motherfuckers I am forced to spend my life around because being a raging alcoholic through my 20's destroyed any chance of ever leaving this shithole of a town, complete with them voting for dumbfuck ideologies which continue to destroy my chances of having a living wage or healthcare. You haven't lived until you've heard a shithead co-worker tell you why the minimum wage shouldn't be raised while you and him are working for barely a dollar an hour above the current one, or have somebody blame Obama for their short work hours because their company cut them instead of paying for health coverage. I have heard both in the last month.

You can just call them trash; the qualifier makes it unnecessarily racist. Unless you're not white, then go nuts because you can probably pull some slurs outta them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

dev null posted:

What the hell are you talking about? You know nothing about programming. If you do know how to program, you've obviously never developed anything in a professional environment. It requires constant collaboration and meetings etc.

Well he is also conflating software dev/programming with legit engineering, so what do you think?

• Locked thread