Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Gundam 3 is a shitload of fun but wears out its welcome super quickly because the stages are all small and basically the same. It's kind of a bummer, but I loved it while it lasted. If they could mesh its gameplay with the stages from its predecessors it'd be pretty amazing.
This is basically my opinion, also the DLC is ludicrously overpriced if I'm remembering right. Something like six dollars for one new pair of pilot + mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

What's the best Dynasty Warrior to play in couch co-op? Still 7? (or does that not have couch co-op?)

I played through all of DW:Gundam 3 in couch co-op with a buddy, and while it was fun, it ultimately felt like a really tacked on feature. Rather than being part of the story, the second player was more of just an additional stranger, whose presence was never ever recognized. Doing the Story Missions, as player 1, I was forced to use really terrible gundam mechs to follow the "story", while P2 was allowed to pick any gundam mech regardless of which side they were on in the story, or regardless of whether or not the character I was playing HATES his character.
I don't think any DW game outright forces player 2 to follow the plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Where's Rygar? Put Rygar in it, gently caress you Tecmo Koei.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5er posted:

Were I to hazard a guess, these WO3 guest characters are likely being selected from the lead developer's assortment of animu body pillows. Perhaps in order of magnitude of crusted body fluid stains.
He has a bodypillow of a 40 year old man? Because Sterk from the Atelier series is a 40 year old man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zou Ci might be an exception to that rule. He was also pretty ridiculous to unlock in DW5, if I remember right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'This is stupid.'

Lu Bu summarizes the entire series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Solve the problem by making a Fate/Musou.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chortles posted:

That the Musou franchise is actually on the better end of the spectrum I personally find horrifying for what that alludes to about "most Japanese games."
it's better than most western games too, to be honest. A lot of series wouldn't have had half these characters as playable, either due to not existing in history or not being fighters in history - the fact that they went out of their way to include them is kind of nice, even if the execution is a bit odd sometimes (and only a couple of female characters seem to have solved the mystery of pants)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Daikoku posted:

Holy poo poo, I know next to nothing about Kamen Rider but I am tempted to import this for the Abarenbo Shogun cross-over.
The Kamen Rider OOOs movie is an unofficial crossover with Abarenbo Shogun (not technically a crossover, but same actor playing the same historical figure in about the same way), hence the appearance here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Can anyone explain Taishi Ci to me? I am not familiar with the historical figure, but in both 7 and 8, all he does is fight against Wu once, joins and does nothing until he dies in a later battle. Couldn't they have found something for him to do in between?
Well, that's basically his role in the novels. He served under three separate people before joining Wu, and since Dynasty Warriors places so much importance on Wu, Wei, and Shu, that means that he's only really important at the end of his life. He's best remembered for how he joined Wu, more than anything, and for being honorable and all that jazz. He doesn't have any great military victories to cite.

That said, it's also funny that he was renowned as an archer in actual history, but the games have him swinging around rods. :v: I guess only Huang Zhong and Xiahou Yuan get to be archers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

When you're dealing with a history as heavily dramatized as The Three Kingdoms, there's no real 'correct' source. Like, obviously if you want actual history then you should seek that out, but if you want the dramatized version then you can check out a variety of sources to see what appeals to you most. The 2010 series is very good, mind, but it's not the only thing that exists. There's comics, cartoons, other live-action shows, plays, movies, whatever. Give the 2010 series a look, and if it doesn't appeal to you, move onto something else.

For instance, that series where everyone is a tiny Gundam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUWDRdywoA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me it's just seeing the ridiculous manglings of history they're gonna do. If there was a better action game series where I can be a crazy comic book version of dozens of historical figures, I'd be playing that instead.
Sengoku Basara?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kissekatt posted:

I'm pretty sure that was in the novel.
Thereupon he did a kicking rad spinkick. And the ships exploded.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

And then in one of the later titles, the bow-using player character ended up being unexpectedly awesome too. He had like a shotgun spread of arrows for his heavy attack.
If you're talking about Huang Zhong and not Xiahou Yuan, yeah, Huang Zhong was great. I loved how his jump charge move made him do a crazy flip while shooting arrows, I used that to get around half the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It was a decent grade, but I didn't focus much on Kessen besides as an example of how to really gently caress up historically. My favorite part was how most of the weird Japanese poo poo that got shoved in wouldn't have been accurate if the game was set in Japan either. It hosed up Chinese AND Japanese history, in a game where Japan plays no role.
To be fair, I don't really think it counts as 'loving up' if you're intentionally veering away from what actually happened. I'm pretty sure nobody working on the game thought Zhuge Liang was a wizard who fought japanese shrine maidens.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Out of all the things historically wrong in Kessen II, Xun Yu being a woman (AND the main love interest) is the definition of "because Japan."
Iunno, I don't really see the problem here. Once you enter the realm of 'this is fiction based very loosely off of history' that sort of thing seems fine to me. I haven't really played Kessen II, so if it's handled in a creepy or weird way that's one thing, but if it's just 'Xun Yu is a woman and wants to betray the world if you catch my drift' then whatever.

It isn't 'historically wrong' if you never intended to be historically right in the first place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

Question, if I wasn't a fan of DW7 because of the stiffness of the controls but liked Sengoku Basara, is DW8XL any better or just more of the same?
It plays like a Dynasty Warriors game. If you want a Sengoku Basara game, get a Sengoku Basara game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't mean that in a cockish way, I just meant that Dynasty Warriors is its own franchise and Sengoku Basara is its own franchise. No Dynasty Warriors game is ever gonna get to a point where it plays as fast as Sengoku Basara, so it's best not to get your hopes up for that if that's what you're looking for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The crashes are 'trying to load a second stage in one session,' but it only happens to a few people. You can generally fix it by fiddling with game or computer settings.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I'd reckon come DW9 Hua Xiong just might get his own unique look, but that prediction is based only on his helping Lu Bu in the Hypothetical.
Hua Xiong is pretty popular in the same 'who do you want upgraded to playable' polls that gave us Chen Gon and Lu Lingqi to begin with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

She's unnamed in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel, but she is mentioned. She was also in Dynasty Tactics 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

redreader posted:

The game presents cao cao as such a wise and noble man. The chapter someone linked earlier on showed that that wasn't the case at all. I should really read the three kingdoms book but currently I'm reading other stuff while stuck halfway through water margin.
One thing to point out is that Romance of the Three Kingdoms, while not quite as batshit as Dynasty Warriors, still isn't really an accurate historical record. It presents Shu as the protagonists and Wei as the antagonists, and therefore it's biased in favor of Shu and biased against Wei. It's a very interesting read that had a heavy influence on the popular image of these people, but if you want a historical read, there are more accurate sources. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is more like the folktale version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

Ugh, it's like finding out your favorite author was a horrible racist.
Honestly, it's warfare in the 2nd-3rd century. The Three Kingdoms era is positively civil by those standards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Belzac posted:

drunkmastrZhangFei -- Dong Zhuo says "Rarr! bow before my might or I kill you!! rarr!"
That might very well be the actual Zhang Fei's ghost, haunting the internet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I've started messing with ambition mode after going through the stories - when exactly do you get access to bodyguards? I've gone through a few sets of 3 or so maps but I still haven't gotten a tutorial about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poo poo, somehow I never noticed the bodyguards tab in the officer menu. Thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for the tip.

Also the best thing is when you finish a map with Zhang Chunhua's 1st musou. The dramatic slowmotion kicks in with everyone still in the air, so all the guys you knocked in the air just slowly float down to the ground while you just wander around in normal speed waiting for all the notifications to go off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Warriors Orochi 4 new additions: DW:Gundam.

:frog:
poo poo, just add all the other licenses. Luffy, Amuro, and Kenshiro teaming up to fight Hades and Ganondorf.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Considering Zuo Ci lived to the age of 300, I think it's a little more than three times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chewy Bitems posted:

The new DW:Gundam game out soon has me considering trying it out.

how similar do the DW:Gundam games play to regular DW? does it still feel like a DW game but with shooting or does it feel more like an Armoured Core game in controls?
I'm not sure about the others but DWG:3 had no real 'free mode,' you just sort of hit a mission and got a random-ish map with no real defining characteristics.

It plays basically like a Dynasty Warriors game, no real deference, the controls are nearly the exact same - the big thing is that instead of horses, you have a boost thruster, and you can boost mid-move for a sort of dash cancel. Combat is a lot quicker than in Dynasty Warriors games, even with the slower mechs, and since you're dealing with robots and not human bodies you get poo poo like dudes getting their heads cut off if you KO them with the right move. It's pretty badass to swing your beam sword and watch 50 mooks have their heads fly off as they explode. Shooting isn't really a big deal either, most mechs have a button that fires off a generic shot but even the more ranged focused mechs just play like Huang Zhong or Xiahou Yuan do in DW - they swing their sword a bit, then they shoot in a pattern.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And unlike Dynasty Warriors 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqF8mNNelFM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the idea with Fa Zheng was to give Shu a more 'morally grey' character so they aren't just the generic good guys, but he still needs to exist in a Shu that's 24/7 benevolence talk, so instead of morally grey he just comes across kind of bipolar.

Also 'Lie Bei' is an amazing typo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It comes down to shoddy translation work, basically: repeating 'Confucius' over and over still doesn't have much depth, but it at least makes a little more sense than just saying BENEVOLENCE. At the very least, have them say words other than Benevolence. A land of tranquility, a land of altruism, a land of cooperation, whatever. It'd still be childish, but hearing the word 'benevolence' over and over is grating, and it's not like anyone comes to Dynasty Warriors for deep moral and political insights.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Guys, guys.

Lord of the Rings Musou.

Would that work?
That was basically the PS2 movie tie-ins, just with slightly less orcs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

What's the story of Cai Wenji appearing in DW?
Well, she was in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I imagine they wanted to add a 'softer' female character to Wei, as well as try to make Cao Cao not literally hitler. It makes as much sense as the Qiaos.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Or Zhang He's ending in DW5.

Or his alternate costume in Dynasty Warriors 5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just watched the Nintendo E3 thing and Hyrule Warriors was in it. Pleasantly surprised by Midna being confirmed. Figured Zelda would be, but nice to get proof of that too. Hopefully there's more than seven playable characters though, especially since they mentioned in the promo that the Dynasty Warriors games have a lot of characters and they want people to be able to play as their favorites.

Oh also a release date, September 26.
They said that *Hyrule Warriors* has a lot of characters. In those words.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

Picked this up during the steam sale and after remapping the keyboard controls it's actually surprisingly playable.
Started out with the Wu story, picked the only guy with facial hair and I have only one question. - Are all these people on my side meant to die? They all seem to kind of gently caress off to do their own thing only to run into issues when i'm halfway across the map. Am I supposed to be playing better or is people on your side dying just how this game does?
The only person whose dying matters is your sides commander, unless the game specifically tells you to protect someone. Everyone else can just do whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, they could just change the backstory for the game. They changed stuff like the Sun Shang Xiang/Liu Bei thing, or the Diao Chan/Lu Bu/Dong Zhou situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I'm curious, is it possible to ever run out of time in a warriors game?
The final map of most Shu campaigns in DW5. The one where Zhuge Liang dies.