Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Christ, I forgot how loving terrifying Zant's face was underneath the mask.
When I first saw Zant I figured he'd be kind of attractive underneath the mask, because that was a popular trend for Japanese game villains at the time. I was expecting him to look a bit like Vaati, maybe.

Instead he looks like Benedict Cumberbatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Dynasty Warriors Let's play would be the most boring thing on the planet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Dynasty Warriors would be fun to LP if you have a newcomer that needs explaining why the Yellow Turban has a magician as a leader or why one guy has a rocket lance.
"Because they're taking historical figures and warping and exaggerating them for dramatic/narrative/comedic effect."
"Oh."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maleketh posted:

Sounds exactly like Ken's Rage 2.

Maybe Hyrule Warriors isn't going to be so good.
The difference is Hyrule Warriors doesn't run at five frames per second.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maleketh posted:

Neither did Ken's Rage 2? :shrug:
I somehow remembered that game being laggy as hell and then looked it up and it apparently runs fine.

Maybe the game just felt like it had massive slowdown.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrPaper posted:

Man I'd kill for a Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Musou game. Was always surprised it never happened back when the movies were coming out and every one was making a LOTR game.
The Twin Towers and Return of the King PS2 games aren't quite Musou game levels of 'tons of bad guys,' but they're still 3D brawlers with co-op where you beat up lots of dudes. Might be worth a look.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

Marvel Musou. Do not Pursue Dr. Doo(m)!
Super Smash Musou.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Personally, I am angry because I bought Dynasty Warriors and did not become a member of a sequence of ruling descendants. False advertising, me thinks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Something Awful never mentions you having to pay for basic features that even invisionfree forums have, like changing your avatar or PMs anywhere. It says you're buying a forums account, not that the basic account is fairly limited compared to other forums.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

So what new characters do people want to see?
Vivi, Rob Lucci, Doflamingo, Bon Clay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flytrap posted:

Lack of Drac forces? Come on, you got Lugosi Dracula, White Hair Dracula, Monster Dracula, Gabriel Dracula, Mathias pseudo Dracula, all the Draculas!
Anime Dracula, Female Dracula, Revolver Dracula...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, they aren't that inacvessible. The wording's stilted in most translations and there's lots of names being thrown around, but being familiar with Dynasty Warriors is actually helpful for that, since you have a distinct face in mind for most of the major players.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best character is sterk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kraxxukalf posted:

If any of you want to read more about the characters historically, you can check out this blog: http://the-archlich.tumblr.com/character_analysis

He starts off with talking about the game side of the characters, so just scroll down in each analysis and you'll come to the history part and some comparisons between game and history. There's a lot to go through, but it's a pretty fun read.
His historical analysises are pretty decent, but his stuff about the games can be... weird. He literally calls the Koei character designers monsters at one point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

Yeah I'd err on the side of caution when reading the archlich's stuff. His personal biases are very apparent, and he tends to get into frothing rages regarding minor aspects of the games or characters he doesn't like. For example, he gives a lot of frankly unfair criticism regarding Koei's depiction of Shu, ignoring the near-two millennia of culture and folk lore that lead to Shu being cast as the protagonists. Him saying that Koei only made Shu the heroes because they are Guan Yu and Zhuge Liang fanboys is wrong and frankly baffling.
my favorite part is him complaining about that one cutscene of Zhao Yun knocking out a child soldier with the blunt of his spear. Like, the kid was out cold and all of Shu's soldiers rode past him, he got up and was fine, as opposed to him being conscious and probably getting himself killed in the fight. I'm not sure how you interpret that as Zhao Yun attacking a defenseless child.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

It might. The mainline DW series still gets physical releases. The others are digital only because Sony has weird rules about dubbing in retail releases, iirc (Yakuza was allowed to break them, but not sure why.)
I think Sony used to have those rules, but they relaxed them long ago. Tons of games get physical releases with no dubs these days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jibo posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I don't understand why the keep taking her dagger axe away. Does she have some kind of historical affiliation with bows or something? Because they gave her a bow in DW6 too if I recall correctly.
She doesn't even exist in history. Rather, Zhuge Liang obviously had a wife, and her name *might* have been Huang Yueying, but there's no real records about her existence. In folk lore, she's credited with some random inventions like Wooden Oxen, which is why she gets the invention schtick in the games, but pretty much any weapon they could give her would be made of whole cloth.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 18, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

They should just go ahead and make a Dynasty Warriors: Ravages of Time edition. Everyone gets a pretty fair shake there (even Lu bu :blush:)
The developers have mentioned that they don't read a lot of super historical stuff, but they do pay a lot of attention to adaptations and other things based off the three kingdoms for inspiration. They might have already taken a few things from Ravages of Time.

Though my personal favorite is when the 2010 Three Kingdoms series came out. DW8 contains multiple scenes basically ripped from it whole sale, especially in the Wei story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

XL adds those story modes, expands Ambition Mode, gives every character a new move, and adds Lu Lingqi, Fa Zheng, Zhu Ran, Yu Jin, and Chen Gong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

except chi bi, which runs like poo poo for some reason

i guess the water

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What're the odds of us getting that in the US? I'd be fine with a digital-only, no dub release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quakster posted:

PW3? I'm guessing 100%. There are still shitloads of players playing PW2 online.
Great news. I didn't know how well PW2 did, so that's what I was worried about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RentACop posted:

Yeah the second samurai warriors ended up being one of my favorite warriors games. It's kind of weird how some of the characterizations shifted from the first though (Hideyoshi going from drooling capering idiot to goofy guy, Masamune being a simple-minded midget to a hot-headed short dude, Tokugawa) thought maybe that was an after effect of the localization
characterizations shift a lot in the warriors series

yuan shao went from a pretty serious guy with a bit of an ego problem to a cartoon character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you care at all about having context, then eah, DW7 is the way to go. That game even has some decent writing in places, surprisingly.

If you just want to kill dudes, DW8 though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dynasty Warriors 6 is the worst game in the series by a landslide, so yeah, don't use it as a barometer for the series at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Impa doesn't have a fat relative who the game can't decide if they're her brother or her cousin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rirse posted:

DW8 is on sale on Steam. I bought the game from the sale, but any DLC worth getting?
None of the weapons are really that great (The Piercers are kind of cool), so unless you want all six of them just for new moves to play with it's pretty much down to if you want DLC costumes or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The DW5 costumes are nice, they fit well and everything. Though the characters who have gone massive personality shifts since DW5, like Yuan Shao, feel a little weird.

Also buy Pang Tong's DW6 costume because it's the best.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can move while guarding, which is why they call it guard/strafe. There isn't a dodge roll or anything, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

As someone who really enjoys Warriors titles, I also recognize that it is probably the worst implementation of its own idea possible. Adding anything, be it light strategic controls, campaign-based resource management, making siege weapons, forts, and supply lines actually important, or borrowing some ideas from DOTA (I believe Guilty Gear Overture did this? Never got to play it) would make a Warriors title far richer and more engaging, while not hampering the brawler save-the-day gameplay.
All of those things would distract from what makes Warriors games fun, though, which is just jumping in and killing tons of dudes. I don't want to worry about siege weapons, forts, and supply lines. I want to kill tons of dudes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raku posted:

I kind of miss the old bad dubs though. Lots of times I'm too busy to read the subtitles, and they never translate what people shout anyway. Also the old dubs for like the ps2 games seemed to be done by hobos off the street.
Please don't call Renowned Voice Actor Jamieson Price a hobo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's been a lot of Three Kingdoms shows, but the one people have been talking about is the 2010 live-action series. It's pretty good. The actors are hamming it up in a way that really works, and the action isn't overdone, which is a trap a lot of Three Kingdoms adaptations fall into.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I guess you mean overdone as in spam it every single episode, but when they do battle it's some DBZ poo poo that arguably makes it more ridiculous than Dynasty Warriors.
Yeah, I meant make it nothing more than a series of loosely related fights. The battles are overdramatic as gently caress but that fits with the tone, the whole thing is overdramatic as hell and it's great.

And nah, it's definitely not been picked up in the states - I can't think of many live action shows from other countries that have been - but it's been subbed. The whole thing is up on Youtube.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Oh my goodness some of the burst character designs.

Look at this motherfucker. Chen Gong has nothing on Li Jue

I think they accidentally put that guy in Hyrule Warriors instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Hyrule Warriors a remarkable Musou game even if I don't have strong feelings about the Zelda series?
It's a very good game with a lot to do but keep in mind that the roster is fairly small, compared to how ridiculous most other Warriors games have gotten.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

So yeah SW4-2 is looking like Xtreme Legends but with the markers shaved off so Capcom doesn't sue.
which just goes to show how dumb that lawsuit is to begin with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

People are expecting literally everything from that announcement. Dude worked on a lot of different games, and the fanbase of each is hoping the announcement is a sequel to THEIR series.
im hoping for dino crisis

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just want mr. 2 to be playable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pirate Warriors 2 is really good, especially if you're a fan of the series, but it might be worth waiting for 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

scissorman posted:

That's kind of lovely.
I'm somewhat familiar with the major names and I played DW Next and SW Chronicles but I think everyone who's not a super serious fan of these games will need at least a refresher now and then.
Especially since the Orochi series seems to have its own mythology and being able to look up who did what and what the relations between these characters are would be really useful.
Just go to the Koei Wiki.

Of course, having an in-game encyclopedia would be great, so I can understand that criticism, but the information exists online anyway.