Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gropes posted:

I work at a craft cocktail bar and one of the most rewarding things about it is coming up with a dink for someone on the spot that you've never made and seeing them light up once they taste it because it's essentially "their" drink. It can be a lot of fun and good money of you're in the right place.

I see people light up after tasting a Rum Runner, I don't really see your point there.

If I REALLY want to see them light up I pour the floater down the straw :v:

Shooting Blanks posted:

This conversation firmly reminds me why I always enjoyed working really high volume as opposed to cocktails. I'm probably in the minority here on that one, though.

Probably not. High volume is where the money is, not saying there's anything wrong with craft, but when you're talking tip percentages I'd rather have more sales.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gropes posted:

I'm trying to come up with a new cocktail for our summer menu. What are some rum cocktails you guys enjoy during the hotter season? As of now I'm thinking of using Zaya rum and making a mango cordial since they're in season here but want some inspiration to fill the blanks.

Classic Blue Hawaiians are great. People love blue drinks for some reason, whenever I make a blue Long Island or Hawaiian everybody at the bar wants one.

In other news, the economy must be doing better because tip percentages are consistently fuckin crazy here even after season going into the summer. I've never done this well during the week it's awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

"I'm looking for the potential to make more money" Is all you really have to say, you'll have to feel out the interview to see if it's cool to go into details or not. If you're not comfortable doing it, don't.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I read an article about a guy who quit being a hipster because it was too expensive. Funny poo poo.

[edit] Found it http://lettucefold.com/2014/06/30/hipster-finds-lifestyle-too-expensive-reverts-back-to-mainstream/

Former Hipster posted:

“Do I miss hanging out at a brewery, drinking with a scarf on and talking about Radiohead tattoos? Actually, no. No I don’t. I’m finally free to go to a Buffalo Wild Wings and watch sports on Sunday, while drinking a giant Budweiser.”

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 25, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks to Fireball our Rumpleminze got dusted off for fire&ice shots otherwise it's never used.

Anyone know a good cheater recipe for Mojitos if you don't have mint?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Best mojito recipe, with or without mint:

"Sorry, we don't make those here."

Well yeah that's what I always say, but sometimes I feel bad and want to offer something similar without the mint.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mooyashi posted:

You run a beach bar, right? Gold rum, pineapple, maybe a splash of orange. I love Mount Gay.

Yep. My favorite is Mount Gay Miami Vices with a Myers floater.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does she have a "following"? I love it when bartenders brag about their "following", move to a new bar and nobody follows them :v:

Welp it's the off season for me now, won't be getting that sweet tip percentage until spring :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nah it's just the opposite, during the holidays and winter in general it's dead. The snowbirds come down, but they don't stay at beach resorts, they stay in their trailers/condos/timeshares. We'll get a little push on new years and that's about it. Spring break is when it picks back up again.

Contrary to popular belief, Florida isn't all that great during the winter, yeah it's warmer but people aren't going to waste their vacation time on temps in the 50's/60's with the Gulf too cold to swim in when they can come in the spring or fall and the weather is perfect and the Gulf is warm.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dirnok posted:

Hi, thread. I've been feeling pretty burnt out lately and decided to go back and read through this hoping to find.. something. A rekindling of the fire, some inspiration, some nostalgia to remind me why this is an awesome gig and why I love it. I dunno which of those I found but I do feel better. Thanks guys.

Burn out happens yo. I quit bartending after getting burned out, didn't go back to it for almost ten years. I'm happy now doing it part time, dunno if I'd want to do it full time again although I have definitely thought about it. I'm just getting too old, my back can't take 40-50 hours a week of high volume bartending. It would have to be at a chill place that wasn't to busy but then I wouldn't make as much.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Buybacks don't apply much here because we don't need to do it, we are a tourist driven bar. However we tend to do it for the few local regulars because they keep us going in the off season, and there's no code just "this one's on the house"

Cash on the bar is dumb because I somehow end up being responsible for it. Keep it in your drat wallet or start a tab.

And I usually don't do shots because I take pain killers and that would be very bad. Sometimes I do dummy shots :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

40 OZ posted:

What's wrong with that? That is a great way to make hella bank, and make it so you are less at the mercy of being placed at X or Y bar that night.

The staff loves you for it too, because other BTs know that if they are put on a 2 person bar with you, they are doing good no matter what.

edit- Even better is if your following is because you are a fun host and person to party with, and not because you give away the bar.

I never said there's anything wrong with it, I was just poking fun at bartenders thinking they have a following then realizing they really didn't when they move to another bar. I see it all the time on the beach where bar location trumps any kind of awesome personality you think you have. I know of only a few good local bartenders that people would actually follow to another location, but they're not dumb enough to move from their prime location, and would deny they had a fan club to begin with because they aren't full of themselves.

PT6A posted:

My buddy just opened a bar (his first one, but he's not trying to manage it alone) and so far, all of the people that claim they have thousands of social media followers and whatnot are insufferable assholes, and one has already been fired for being a useless rear end in a top hat prima donna prick.

Also this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Social media is never brought up with my bar ever, and I would never work at a bar that required that bullshit from a bartender. That should be the responsibility of the owners and managers.

[edit] The people that like you and want to come see you know when you work, there's no need for going on twitter and begging people to come to the bar that's tacky as hell. It's a manager's job to update twitter/fb with specials and what band is playing or whatever, that's all that should really be done.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 12, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

JawKnee posted:

I agree with you entirely, the point of that particular post was: why pay for it if you can get it for free. And if you haven't met owners/managers like that, then you're lucky and I envy you.

I live in a hospitality/tourist dominated area on the Gulf coast of Florida. Most of the people working in the business have done so for a long time and know what they are doing, and the smart managers/owners know to leave the loving bartenders alone if they are doing what they're supposed to do and liquor costs are on par. Promotion is not the bartenders job, and any owner or manager that thinks otherwise is an idiot and/or lazy and you probably shouldn't work for them.

[edit] That being said, if you want to do it then knock yourself out if you think it helps, but you should never be pressured to if you have no interest in it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 12, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing it if that's what the bartender wants to do, but it should be voluntary and not required imo. And like I mentioned before, good bartenders that have following don't need social media because the people that come to see them know when they work and don't need to be reminded. A bartender that's doing well to begin with probably wouldn't feel the need to use social media as promotion, I currently don't know of any bartenders in my area that do it, and I've never heard of anyone being asked or forced to. (This is an area with lots of beach bars/restaurants/bar&grill)

However I don't have experience with nightclubs so I could see that being a completely different animal because they seem to depend on promotion a hell of a lot more than any other kinds of bars.

I don't think you're being mean, this is actually a good discussion to have. I just think as tipped employees we have to be careful about how much responsibility is put on us because some owners/managers tend to take advantage, as I'm sure some of the posters in this thread have dealt with before.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 12, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm a dude bro.

Yes our peak season starts in march but it's not a big college crowd at all, and it's usually ten orders at once slinging frozen Margaritas and Rum Runners :v:

[edit] and FIREBALL shots of course

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 13, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

[e] nevermind

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 14, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Spring break is officially here, I just did 1800 in sales in five hours from 12 to 5 on a loving Wednesday afternoon. Our sales so far are crushing last year's numbers, it's a bit overwhelming in this tiny bar :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

40 OZ posted:

Silly question- does he know how to bartend? If he does, then he should lie and say he has experience and try to get on somewhere.

Lying is generally a bad idea, because (here at least) it's REAL easy to tell if someone has no clue what they are doing behind a bar and will promptly be fired for lying.

Starting as a barback is the best way to get your foot in the door and gain experience.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

89 posted:

We have to squeeze a lemon in the shaker, pour sugar in it as well, sugar the lemon, and then immediately wash the shakers because of the sugar which we rarely have to do. Guess the vodka used. Guess.

....heaven hill.

($1 for employees)

Get management to allow $1 Fireball shots. Problem solved.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Helluva lot better than making lemon drops like that for a freaking dollar, I hope they at least tip him good, they drat well better :colbert:

Fireball is cheap and everybody drinks the liquid garbage, might as well make it easy on yourself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just banned an insufferable local after I cut her off and she face planted trying to cross the street going to the next bar. Smashed her face up real good, thankfully wasn't on our property. You're done bitch! I also love banning smug douche bags that harass the patrons that are minding their own business. GTFO and don't come back :wave:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Booties posted:

Just an FYI, but you are liable for her injuries even if she get in a car and drive off for 50 miles before hitting a tree. At least in most states you are.

No I'm not because I cut her off and kicked her out as soon as I realized she had too much to begin with. She had obviously been drinking before she got to the bar, it just took me a few drinks to figure that out. I didn't willingly over serve her, there's a big difference.

Besides, this is Florida and I've never heard of RAMP so ymmv I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I understand that, but that's pretty much a risk we all take isn't it? The way I look at it is I did my part, I cut the bitch off, if she wanted to sue the resort fine. She'd be wasting her time suing me so I'm not worried about it. I'm never going to willingly over serve anyone, and I don't think anyone here would either but what are you gonna do? The only way to completely avoid that slim to none possibility is by not bartending.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

Dram shop laws and TIPS certification.

Never heard of TIPS until I googled it just now.

bloody ghost titty posted:

And now that I've sobered up, I'm happy to be the pedantic poo poo who patiently explains the American civil justice laws regarding liability for giving someone an intoxicant versus criminal liability for said someone's actions under the influence.

I'm not responsible for my actions if I strangle someone that tips me $10 on a $200 tab am I?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bar manager has been butt hurt that we haven't been stocking the bar to his liking lately, so for his next shift when he opens the door he won't be able to walk through the wall of beer cases topped with straws and cups to the ceiling. Should be fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I miss working bars a lot less the older I get. I do miss shooting the poo poo with other bartenders though, but that's what this thread is for.

Yep, my wife just got a great paying full time job after being a stay at home mom for awhile, so I recently gave up my bar shifts. It's loving awesome, three days off a week now!

I work security full time at the same resort the bar is in, so I still get to shoot the poo poo and help out when the guys get in the weeds and they tip me out good for it so it's a win/win :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 11, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Every employer is dogshit.

True. I think there's a lot of people that get into bartending expecting to immediately make bank and being thoroughly disappointed with how tough it really is. It's only a part of the battle, the other part is finding a good bar with a good shift where you can actually make decent money and that bar not being run by retards. Good luck with that part and if you find it don't ever leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

The general reasons you should look to get out of bar-tending as you get older: 1) less jobs for older bartenders, 2) of those jobs many fewer pay a tolerable amount of money, 3) your friends become less and less willing to talk to you if you work nights as you get older, 4) your friends become less and less available on non-weekends as you get older, 5) anything said for friends also goes for potential girlfriends, 6) the job has physical elements like being on your feet and noise and stooping and cleaning that get more tiresome as you get older, 7) the places that do hire you will often try to push you into being a bar manager after a while anyway and that job is usually worse than just bartending.

Precisely the reasons I stopped bartending. I do miss the money, but I don't miss all the other things. I worked weekends my entire bartending career and now that I have weekends off I'd never go back to it full time, I'm not making the kind of money I was when I was behind a bar but the other things make up for it.

• Locked thread