Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

atomicthumbs posted:

BeamNG's paid alpha and tech demo are out!

I believe I've posted it here before; it's a driving game (and middleware) where you can drive cars. When you crash the cars, it fucks them up with soft-body physics simulation. Crumple processing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77cThD4vj8

My friend's the vehicle designer/modeler on this. Both the game and the cars are bitchin'.

More info here: http://www.beamng.com/content/

The "buy DRIVE" and "tech demo" pages linked on that page lead to what they sound like.

The dude making the "Gavril" cars is/was a modder for Rigs of Rods right? Pretty sure he's responsible for the music as well since it looks and sounds a lot like his YouTube videos, and his modded cars were always called Gavril as the make.
Bought the game without even trying it first because I've played so much Rigs of Rods already and loved it. A toy where you smash cars together, or see how hard you can trash the suspension and still move, or (insert destructive idea here).

EDIT
Specifically this video from Rigs of Rods of his, I really dig the music a lot.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

I messaged a guy who has a few Beats and he basically said "just because they're in the country doesn't mean it will be easy to register and drive it. And buy two because parts are non existent in this country."

So that's probably not the best idea.

This "guy" you know is a chump.
You find the part here and then buy the part here. Parts are not hard to get they are simply expensive to get because they were never meant for this country. Lucky for you there are a ton of resources, for my Acty the easiest and cheapest way is to do it the way I just described. Use jp-carparts.com to locate the part with its cool pictures and then amayama to buy them. Considering this is a Beat we are talking about that means it's the (mostly) same guts as my van which means you can use cool modern civic oil filters, a pass-through fuel filter is easy enough and you would probably want to replace the air cleaner box/canister with an aftermarket one because those things are expensive consumable parts. Other vehicle-specific bits? Easy enough, I've replaced the rotors and drums all around on mine. A bit pricey, but far from hard or impossible.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A truly unreal amount of Japanese goodness sat in Virginia...

http://jalopnik.com/have-your-mind-...dium=socialflow

This is good and bad and you are good and bad. I've been looking for a clean and un-modified Samurai for a few weeks now and they are impossible to find. So hard, in fact, that we've started looking at importing a Jimny since a Samurai is just a Jimny with a 4 cyl engine and some body cladding. And wouldn't you know it there are some for sale already here.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 22, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I would not have the balls to do this, kudos to you.

Wait, that cars only worth 5k?

It's Japan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Oh man, these are starting to hit the 25 year cutoff, aren't they? :getin:

The first ones are already in the US. They have already ~arrived~ although the price for them is probably very high considering only the very first ones are legal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

Lets pretend that I want a Mazdaspeed AZ-1 and I live in Texas. How much would it cost to buy, import, and register?

Expect around 12k or so according to this person that is also in Texas.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

I must have one... Or I guess 2 because parts will be impossible.

Parts shouldn't be too bad, the engines are the same kei engines they shoved in all sorts of stuff, especially Jimnys which are quite common.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

stick your foot out and push.

I seriously do this more than you'd think in my van just because it's easier that starting it and putting it in gear. The AZ-1 weighs even less.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BoostCreep posted:

A Facebook friend just posted this today. I have to assume these were the fastest American made cars in 1989?

Looks like less 'fastest' and more 'rad as hell'

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sagebrush posted:

What's the silver one second from the front that looks like an RX-7?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Laser

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It's rad as hell to see concepts like this become design points for cars afterward. This thing was directly responsible for the 90s Camaros and Firebirds.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

:colbert:

Digging up these pictures, apparently the whole internet is in a massive bitchfit over whether it's a real bentley or a mustang kit car.

lmao it's either a real Bentely or the best kit car anyone has ever seen before.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If I'm not mistaken the panel gap between the rear bumper and the rear quarter should be below the rear light, not through it on a real Conti GT?

Godholio posted:

Yeah the back is quite...Mustang-ish. Taillights are wrong, trunk lid is wrong, panel gap is wrong. Fender creases and wheel wells are wrong, but well-hidden by the cage and flares. Definitely a Mustang.

That said, I still loving love it.

I dunno guys I'm looking at this and wondering how they would nail all the details just so perfectly with a kit car when they could just get a real one and tart it up. It isn't like nobody has taken a Bentley in the dirt before, Top Gear comes to mind.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The idea that a car would be vandalized because of the color is hyper insane to me as an American. But I suppose I don't have enough ~class~

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Godholio posted:

He can be a dick and still be well within his rights. If people are literally stopping in that town to take a picture of that road and he doesn't give a gently caress that he's ruining it, that makes him kind of a dick. It doesn't mean he deserves to have his car vandalized, obviously.

But he's parking his car in front of his house? I fail to see how that's him being a dick and more just how reality works. If he wore shoes someone else didn't like or ate food someone else didn't like or kiss someone else that someone didn't like does that make him a dick?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Godholio posted:

THAT IS WHAT I SAID.

People are hung up on the detail of you calling the guy a dick for buying a car, within his rights or no.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

What a phenomenally bad rear end looking car.

You know in Battlestar Galactica when they show the scenes inside human cities and they used Citroen DSs to be the vaguely-familiar-but-classically future aesthetic vehicles around? I always thought the Toyota Crown Wagon from the early 70s was a car just like that.

Turns out they actually sold these in the US for a couple years but they sold poorly, turns out that they might have been a bit ahead of the times with it's neato future design. I don't even know if they are any good but gosh I think they look gorgeous.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

um excuse me posted:

Is the consensus for ugliest car still the Multipla?

I'd drive this though with this blasting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETfiUYij5UE

It sure is ugly but you can take that and spin it into 'man the Multipla is cool' because it's so ugly and do it ironically. Styling is super objective and multiple people out there are convinced that the PT Cruiser is a gorgeous car. Or my wife's boss from 10 years ago that said "What a beautiful car" about a goddamn Pontiac G6. Or the older man that told a friend of ours that his Dodge Nitro was great looking car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'd love to have a Jay Leno-esque garage with an NSX, GNX, SVO, mint 82 Toyota pickup, LP400 Countach, a Ferrari 328, and a big-rear end Colony Park wagon. There is so much rad poo poo from the 80s I can't imagine anyone getting all indignant when someone does or doesn't like a specific thing.

NSX is great, GNX is great and the aura and reverence around them proves that everyone else thinks so too, there is no objectivity.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

xzzy posted:

"Well we got the engines in but realized after the fact we forgot about fuel tanks."

That little bent nose cone is a fuel tank.

20ft of full throttle :haw:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Huh, the SC was always the car that stood out from the rest of Lexus styling-wise. Now it looks like every single other Lexus but it's got a fantastic engine note instead. Was the LFA the first Lexus to look like this? Is Lexus trying to make every car of theirs look like the LFA? How many people even know the LFA exists?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've always wanted a Honda City convertible.

:allears:

They come up on various auction sites and import sites too, tend to be pricey because they are desirable but the possibility is there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It's like the perfect car to give to one of your children you don't like. :allears:

"Here is a cute as heck 80s Honda convertible, I hate you"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I smuggly though this was a Japanese Dome car but NOPE I was wrong. Gorgeous.

glyph posted:

It's only in the last few months that I learned that the gran turismo ringer, the 1995 "monster" tajima Suzuki escudo was dual engine.

I don't know how I'd missed that.

Hilarious that he started with a Tracker and ended up with that thing. I didn't know it was twin-engined either but I suppose it makes sense with how much rear end it kicked in Gran Turismo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

eyebeem posted:

I drive my Abarth cabrio to work 1-2 days per week. It's the poor man's version of DDing an impractical car.

I don't care if it's cold as gently caress out (for SoCal standards), that top is DOWN.

You can expect your Abarth to start and drive to where you ask it to take you without drama. Traffic crawling in a 70s Lotus is impractical and perhaps dangerous to your health as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eat This Glob posted:

My grandpa was always a giant tech guy. He was a diesel mechanic by trade, but he always had the weirdest poo poo. When I was a youngster ][e's were standard kit in schools, but the first computer I ever hosed around with was my grandpa's machine that used god damned physical tapes. I wish I knew the specs. The first computer I ever had at home was his hand-me-down first gen Mac. For reasons passing understanding, he bought a cd-i because he thought it was cool. I never once saw him use it, but I remember trying out the Zelda game he had and being super underwhelmed with it

Nintendo was originally working with Sony to develop a CD-based add-on for the Super Nintendo. Sony wasn't willing to bend as far as Nintendo felt they should and jumped ship to work with Phillips on their CD-I. The fruit of that whole ordeal is that we got some awful licensed Nintendo games on the CD-I and Sony developed the Playstation. People bring up stuff like the Virtual Boy being a bad move by Nintendo but I'd claim the Playstation is their absolute biggest mistake.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Holy gently caress sign me up. That poo poo would sell like hotcakes in Florida.

Hells yeah, also make a tracking tint circle that follows the blinding sun flowing right into my face in the morning and at dusk. Just a tinted circle that blocks the sun specifically. Who needs a whole visor?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

I think this color combination is called "HOLY gently caress WHY IS IT SO ORANGE"
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-300009/1974-ford-pinto-squire-wagon/

God this is fantastic in a wholly unironic way.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Deteriorata posted:

:iia: that FCA deemed this necessary.

Countdown till someone wheelies it and careens off into a median at a Cars and Coffee and people can forget all about Mustangs.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some stuff I've seen locally recently.

The best quality, least expensive and best taken care of imports from Japan are all retired firetrucks.

1986 Hilux, 6835 miles, 3500 USD.

1985 Hilux, 5592 miles, 3600 USD.

Buy one and rip the modifications off and have a bitchin' truck that everyone lusts after from the time they lusted over it on the cheap and in phenomenal shape. I bet that (guessing) kei firetruck Hijet has around 15k miles on it if that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

What's the site for those again?
To get one already here and titled in Virgina yeah https://www.japaneseclassics.com is the most respected and highly regarded. I bought my Acty from there and it was excellent. Though if I bought it myself through say, https://www.japancardirect.com/ I would have probably paid close to $2500 for it rather than $6200.
Also I only suggested ripping the fire engine modifications off of the things because what can you do with a Japanese fire engine? I'm interested in having an unmolested, taken care of 80s Japanese truck or van that I could use, you know?

BlackMK4 posted:

What does it normally cost to ship and federalize?

Darchangel posted:

No federalizations of its over 25 years old. States are a little more picky regarding emissions, etc., but it's legal to import without modification.
Shopping is like $1000-1500 or so if I recall correctly. It helps if you can get in with a batch of other cars coming in with an importer.

This, rolling 25 year exemption rule based on the month it was manufactured. Generally the only state that is a toss up is California but that's only because they are the most strict. Federally anything 25 years to the month of manufacture is exempt from any and all federalization rules.
Depending on who you go with and what port you are bringing it to you are looking at around 1000~ dollars to get it to the country for a kei class car, more for larger vehicles.

I have this hitting Jacksonville, FL on the 15th of this month that I have to go pickup. I'll know more about the nebulous importation procedure after that but so far it's been smooth sailing as long as you are patient.

EDIT
Crossposting from the craigslist thread

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 2, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Since I can't imagine there are that many kei firetrucks running around Washington state I'm gonna assume that came from SODO Moto in Seattle. It sure looks like this one. A friend of mine works there, I've been meaning to stop by and gawk at their wares.

Wonder where that AZ-1 came from because unless that's used as some sort of museum exemption sort of thing it is not federally legal under any circumstances. When I see an import dealer in the US doing that it call into question absolutely everything else they do. Hopefully they didn't import and sell it.
October this year is when the very first ones manufactured become legal. And that's only the ones made in October 1992.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 5, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I grew up there :tinfoil: I'd ask where in Richland but that's getting a little too doxxy.

:shrug:

Yeah looks like they did sell it. Federally breaking the law there and that ain't cool. Absolutely zero ways around it. That car will never ever be legal and is now rolling contraband.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

Was it established whether it was as accurate as month/day of manufacture, rather than year? Or can you import a 1992 car in January?

I'm sure this came up relating to a Skyline at one point, and there's precedence for it.

From everything I've seen and heard and read it's the month of manufacture in the real world. So January every car manufactured 25 years ago in January is legal, February the same, etc.

https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import posted:

7. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old.
A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at https://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.

NHTSA says this however.

I don't expect any blowback to happen from hyper-niche kei cars as much as Skylines or Landrovers but it still is not legal as far as the law is concerned and it bums me out because it's dishonest, illegal and importers know absolutely what they are doing. Not to poo poo on Gay Nudist Dad's bud's place of work but I have been salivating at the thought of having an AZ-1 and have researched the balls out of this to hammer it down to the Federally-legal bone zone, which is 25 years to the day of manufacture with some minor wiggle room because of the NHTSA rules. Days within a month ehhh sure. Whole months no.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dee eight posted:

I had to go through this entire thread before I posted. Amazingly good stuff!

Here's what gave me my first auto boner:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_(automobile)
I bought a matchbox car 'models of yesteryear' 1917 Mercer Raceabout and my 12 y/o self was in love. Take a look at those things. Frame, wheels, engine, seat, and nothing much else. It's a total big big kid's go-cart.

And of course Jay Leno has one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L4Hj85Kb5o

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm going to buy one and de-badge it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How? The badge is thinner than dental floss.

SOS pad

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
To bring up fire engines again, this is going to be up for auction in about 24 hours

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-SO1x9RRCjBzl57.htm (you might need to register to see this, apologies if this is the case)

This is a fire-department maintained 1986 Landcruiser, 4WD and manual transmission with just under 5000 miles on the odometer. Diesel. Bidding starts at 440 bucks and I expect it to be sold for under $4k going by how these usually sell. Sadly the fire trucks never come with air conditioning.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cursedshitbox posted:

Nor is it new. Prelude with mechanical in 87. Volvo passives in the 90s. Gmc with the early 00 bodies.

Was that with the same direction 4-wheel steering or 'only for tighter turns' type?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Cross posting from the craigslist thread

Someone go buy this thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't really know cars of this (apparent) era but I found this in my phone and was wondering what it was. Let me know if I need to post it in the other thread and/or commit honorable sudoku.

De Tomaso Pantera

Owns

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 22, 2017