Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

those are just shuffle bolts.

on a shuffle wheel

the better to help you shuffle off that pesky mortal coil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Off of a friend's S2000 at a track day. He did a tour through california doing 12 track days in two months. He had spare rotors with him and finished his lap before pitting in to change it out.

Goddamn :stare: How many pad sets did he go through? Is he going to be looking at improving brake ventilation or a rotor upgrade?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think he has any upgrades planned for his brakes and I'm not sure how many sets he went through but probably 3 or 4.

The guy brakes essentially at the absolute last moment and is right on the limit of the tires locking up each time, like he's in a qualifying heat on every track day lap. He was my driving instructor at my first track day recently and is quite skilled, but I'd hate to pay for his maintenance items.

Yeah I figured anyone that can put that kind of a hurting on an already excellent stock setup is a hot-shoe late-braking sonofabitch but that's a legit driving style for the S2K and it gets the job done.

3-4 sets of pads is definitely pushing it, as is obvious. The heat damage to those is scary as poo poo, and if he gets a rotor with a defect, the first time it gets as hot as those obviously got they're gonna frag. I'm sure he's buying top quality but there are limits in metallurgy we have to obey here :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

surebet posted:

Is that a metal chrome coathanger at the bottom?

It's a subtle commentary on the fact that you could have eliminated the problem before it came to term.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Squeeze posted:

Saw this last night. Not sure if it's awesome or horrible. Looks like it was a hearse in a previous life, but it sure isn't anymore. Hopefully.

I'm in love :swoon:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

neckbeard posted:

Repairs on a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet convertible top not working:
http://imgur.com/a/nYbRg

Oh dear god :stonklol:

Can you imagine getting billed flat rate for that job? :suicide:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When I wrecked the Volvo I got a 2013 Chevy Cruze with about 3k on the clock. It had the 1.6L turbo I4, full interior with goodies, and goddamn was it a hoot to drive while getting 35MPG.

I liked it so much I went to the dealership and priced one out (just a smidge over 22k), but ended up buying an NA Miata instead.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 30, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The saddest part about that car is that everything looks really well done. It's just terrible.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Random, what's the real world range on the Volt without dipping into the engine? A tiny part of me thinks it'd be the perfect car for my job (delivery). No way in hell could I afford one, but I can always dream. :allears:

I would think that your charge time in between deliveries wouldn't be sufficient to prevent hitting the charge motor.

Now, if each pizza place had a whole fleet of them...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That happened to me in the truck. Hot oil dripping down your leg is a very unpleasant way to start the morning.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Even so, I don't see how that would be cheaper than a sending unit that threads into the same port once you get done running tubing (or is it hard line?)

Even when I tapped the stock oil-pressure port (idiot light port) for the E30, I couldn't get a sender in there. I used a tee and a length of hose to mount the sender to the block and keep the idiot light as well.

So what if it's cheaper; it's cheaper in the long run to keep hot fluid out of the cabin, especially the one of the fluids that is hardest to clean up.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You can even see the warning label right there in bold block letters: "JAGUAR V12"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rscott posted:

Do you know what an actual E30 looks like because I feel like if you don't that's the only reason why you would say something like this

So what you're saying here is that if that were a completely unique car you wouldn't have a problem with his liking it? You just don't like that he likes it because it blemishes one of your precious E30s?

I'm one hell of an E30 fanboy (I've had three, and will have another if I can find a nice example), but if that's his thing, that's his thing.

I personally fuckin' hate it (E30M3 is the best looking car ever), but drat dude.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

anonumos posted:

...into a tree...backwards...on fire...

Like there's any other way you'd want to go if you got to choose the method of conveyance :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

This is also good.

We did this with a race-weight CRX once. Two guys on each wheel and we moved turned it around in the spot.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

I wanna see what sort of damage years of being stood on two corners on a curvy shelf does to nice expensive hardback books. :allears:

One advantage: round objects will always roll to stay onto the shelf.

No you see there's also a matching set of hardcover factory service manuals contoured to the spoiler for £500

The joke is that all the pages are blank because anyone who would buy such a thing would never loving open them.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The most :texas: thing about this post is the photo size.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

I was editing it when you posted, champ. Thanks for the tip.

Hey man you can't pass up these kinds of opportunities :v:

In terrible car news, I was passed by a Honda CRV this morning that was doing at least 90.

I crest a hill just before my exit and see the CRV on the right side of the road. About 500yds down on the LEFT side of the road is a wheel. No pictures, of course, being that it was hard enough to drive and laugh at the same time at 70mph, much less take a picture.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 19, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah I'm not seeing the issue with towing a bike across country with a Miata either. Granted, I keep up on the maintenance schedule for mine rather religiously and use high quality lubricants in the diff/trans/motor. I'd say as long as the gross weight isn't above 1500lb he's probably alright.

I have a hitch on my Miata for my Hobie Cat, and I once towed a 2.5ton pickup truck across town. The only thing that was permanently damaged was the clutch disc; taking off from stoplights was a real doozy :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

No hills where you live?

North Florida so not really. I also planned my route to minimize taking off uphill at a light.

I did get a lot of folks taking pictures or pointing/laughing/:stonk:'ing so I expect to see my car posted here from Jalopnik or something any day now.

kastein posted:

I would probably try something like that... if I knew anyone in florida I trusted enough to send paperwork for vehicles to. I don't.

Hey there buddy :heysexy:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 21, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

No such thing as bad publicity. :v:

The goddamn truth on the roads these days. Anything that makes another motorist look up from their game of Angry Birds to actually acknowledge the existence of my vehicle is a good thing.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

So it's just slapped together with whatever bits of metal they found lying around the plant?

It's like that's what Chrysler is all about...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

bandman posted:

I'm going to guess it involved a PTO forklift on a tractor, hi-lift jack on a stack of cinder blocks, or six large men variously named Bubba, Tiny, Jimbo, Big Mike, Billy Bob, and/or Jethro.

Let me tell you about the time I watched some guys at work use the Nissan forklift to change the tire on a Ram 1500...

Basically they both got their forklift licenses revoked and one drat near got fired.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
They had the frame on the very tip of the forks. A stiff breeze would have had it slip off and puncture the floorpan. They were also mucking about under the truck.

I understand that you can do "bad" things in the "best" way, but these two were being best-in-class idiots.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Road rally and street rally are two different things :ssh:

(Also: :thejoke:)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

eyebeem posted:

These would go well with my TREK fish emblem
I am so glad I wasn't the only one.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

Walmart lot. Of course, Walmart lot.

I was terribly disappointed that this didn't have a pair of truck nutz hanging from the rear bumper.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

While out on my bicycle, I find that there is an interesting amount of brake pad backing plates lying in the shoulder.

"Hey Clark, come over here and tell me what's wrong with this picture." #240drivers

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Them see through pads yo! Very hot with the kids in Japan right now.

My buddy was hella ahead of the curve then, I took that picture nearly two years ago :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tonton Macoute posted:

This E36 wagon (not sure whether it's 325td or tds, but it's a manual) is currently on sale and can be bought for €3950. I am not really tempted though.

Swap the wheels/tires to something not stretched and blue, dip the blue lip with matte black, krylon the rack black and I'd rock the poo poo out of it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
This is only AI application of a SMART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Zemyla posted:

Sweet Jesus, you could stick a football player down those.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
This is what happens when the drift crowd gets old enough to start getting up the ladder at these companies.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I dunno man maybe I'm just an E30 fanboy but that car looks pretty legit. If you look at the rear camber it's not ridiculous which means it's had somewhat involved modding to correct the poo poo that is the semi-trailing arm suspension geometry back there when you get low. Add in the GCs it claims to have and I bet it would be pretty fun at an AutoX.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Geoj posted:

No tire shop could be that incompetent...

:lol:

Tell that to the shop across from where I work.

:words:"I want a cross rotation with mount/dismount to swap inside/outside due to the camber I have on the car."
:raise:"What?"
:words:"Give me a work order form and I'll show you. Swap THESE two tires, and THESE two tires, while making sure that you keep current rotation."
:raise:"But those aren't directional-biased tires!"
:words:"Please go get your manager."

Manager knew what was up and took care of it. Granted, he had to mark the sidewalls with a paint marker to make sure they didn't gently caress it up but he made sure it was done properly.

It ALMOST makes up for the fact that the shop in question almost threw away one of my DOT slick take-offs I have for AutoX. I had a flat and got my father to bring me one of my race wheels, so I slapped it on and tossed the flat into the trunk. I show up at the shop to buy the new tires, we make a deal, and I specifically mention that the wheel in the trunk is the wheel I want on the car, and that the front-left needs to go in the trunk. I come back and find that they've tossed my race tire and hadn't even touched the wheel in the trunk. I raised hell and the manager fixed the problem.

I need to stop talking to anyone other than that manager.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Das Volk posted:

No one wants that thing anyway, they're safe.

350s may be pigs but I still think they're fun :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Not my car, but belongs to the mother of one of the local car dudes. loving college students in my town :argh: "I was adjusting the radio and didn't see the stoplight"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fart Pipe posted:

If he has Hagerty or some kind of good collector car insurance they will fix that. I saw a Camaro with the same kind of damage getting fixed with Hagerty.

I don't know what kind of insurance she's carrying on it, but I'll ask the next time I see her son at one of the meets. Dude said "totaled" so the appraisal and poo poo might already be over with. I hope for the best, of course.

xzzy posted:

It's pretty normal for cars of that era to keep their shape in a wreck. The issues are a lack of seat belts, no head rests, a tendency for the engine to enter the passenger area in a front collision, and the steering wheel crushing the driver.

So even if the doors work when everything comes to a rest, it doesn't matter because you're hamburger.

She has some pretty wicked whiplash from what I heard from the son. I recommended an attorney my family knows.

Das Volk posted:

Adjust the kid's face with a full DIN radio :toughguy:

Tommychu posted:

'66 is my favorite year Chevelle :(
YOU BASTARDS :argh:

Trust me, the local forum is pretty fuckin' livid. I was just saying the other day that I am driving outside of "normal" commute hours so I don't have to deal with the idiots out there when students are in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tactical Bonnet posted:

:10bux: says he jumps in over the door "like a fighter pilot."

If you own a convertible and don't do this whenever you get a chance you sound really boring.