Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Zeether posted:

Behold the horror that is Mynheer.

Oh god I just realized this isn't even a Civic, it's a drat Volvo S70 with aftermarket Civic lights grafted on :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
All right, which one of you is this? Spotted on a red Kia Soul.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Moxie Omen posted:

sup virginia buddy, I got gas there a while ago while on a trip to/from lowesville

:hfive:

Fun fact, I used to live in the apartment above the store :haw:

Also, their gas is usually some of the most expensive in the county :ssh: but the food is good (cooked by my girlfriend's mom!) and I like the owners.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Raw_Beef posted:

As a rabid mopar fan, i must say this does not belong here :colbert:

As a fellow Mopar fan, I tend to agree, but the cell-phone pics thread has been rolled into this, so :shrug:

Also, the old white car in my post is a mopar as well (I think).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm sure LobsterboyX will be along to set us straight at some point. In the mean time, I'll just cross-post them to the other thread where they deserve to be.

edit: It's a 1959 Buick Electra :doh:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 22, 2012

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Since bluing is a form of rust you could still say that and then be all :smug: when they look confused.

A blued car is something I've never thought of, and I'm a little angry at myself for that. It would look so loving beautiful. Keeping it clean and corrosion free would be a motherfucker though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Safety Dance posted:

There should be a service called "My Friend Who's Good With Cars," where, for like $20 a month, a car-knowledgeable person will come by once a quarter and take 'er for a spin, perform a basic inspection, provide recommendations and note the mileage. They'll call you up and remind you about oil changes, and you can call them up and ask even the most retarded car-related question and receive an honest answer with no judgement.

My friends are all already on this service plan, maybe I should start charging a monthly fee...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I recently had a conversation with a friend thinking about replacing her Jetta with something not so failure-prone:

"You should be looking at Toyotas, Nissans, maybe Subarus if you need AWD, Hondas although the more recent ones don't seem quite as good quality for the money."

"Well, ok, but there's this sebring down the street for sale...."

:stonk:

What exactly is it that attracts people to Sebrings? One of my friends was looking for a good used car, and mentioned a 2001 in good shape. I told him what I thought about them, their usual issues (mainly the 41TE trans being a pile of poo poo), and that he could get much better car for the same price. He bought it anyway, and a year later the transmission ate itself. I'm sure he could hear the :smug: when I said "I told you so" on the phone. Then not a month later his brother-in-law asks me for car buying advice, and says "there's a Sebring just down the road..." :suicide:. At least I managed to talk him out of it. Now all three of them (including the wife) drive Passats :shepicide:. I...I just don't know why I bother trying anymore.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

duffbeer posted:

I have literally been away from the SAF for 4 years... just came back and spent an hour laughing my nuts off at this thread.

Welcome back. If you like this, here is the link to the first terrible car stuff thread. Nearly 600 pages of poo poo-tastic body kits and other :psyduck: mods/repairs (will eventually require Archives to read).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Shamelessly stolen from the funny pictures thread in PYF

I've been seeing more and more cars with this kind of exhaust arrangement, I hope it's not the beginning of some new, horrible fad.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm suddenly really glad that the only person I know that owns a 'vette is a swell guy that used to take his C5 to SCCA events and run the poo poo out of it (even has a few 3rd and 2nd place trophies). He takes ridiculously good care of it but had no problem driving it balls out on a track, at least until he got too old to feel safe doing it.

Now that I think about it, he has said before that other Corvette owners piss him off to no end because most are loving insufferably smug pricks that wipe their cars with diapers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
So this isn't a picture but today at the salvage yard, while waiting on my parts to be pulled (I hate places that don't let me get my own poo poo), a large Hick comes in, dressed literally head to foot in mossy-oak camo. He starts chatting with the counter dudes, and mentions that he's looking for a 1965 Lincoln Continental hard-top. I love this gen of Continental, so I mention how rare they are, and how difficult it tends to be to fix them up, hoping to strike up a conversation, but no dice. Counter guy asks if he plans on dropping a 460 in it, and the Hick replies, "poo poo no, I'll just throw an SBC in it!" Counter guy then asked him just what he planned to do with it if he found one, and the Hick says, "Demolition derby! Those old Lincolns are tough as nails, they've got a double lined floor pan, reckon I could do some serious damage with one! :haw:"

:suicide: gently caress I hate ignorant rednecks.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's a known glitch in the forums, but this is the first time I've seen it in action.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Earlier this year (or was it last year?) they had a recall on the Sonic because they forgot to install the front brake pads on a few thousand cars. How in the gently caress?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

From the first minute, nay, second one of riding a motorcycle, my biggest fear has been everyone else on the road, for the reasons you describe.

It's the biggest (only) reason I have for probably never owning a motorcycle, even though I'd really love to. People are scary stupid on the road.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Ten front lights, so that every one can be just as aggravated as the person sitting inside it!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Faerunner posted:

Yep... Tacky Hummers are a uniquely American phenomenon.

If you forget about everywhere else. Like this one in Dubai.

Finally, a car whose name perfectly describes it. The Bummer. :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh, are we doing Honda Odysseys with European car emblems? I can play:

Also satisfies the "replaces factory emblem" clause. And possibly the wheels as well? I'm not good with Honda or BMW wheels.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That poor FD has Elephantiasis :smith:.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

Whoever made the call to kill off the PT Cruiser did Good Taste such a favor. We'll be seeing them for years to come of course but eventually they will just find their way into the back rows of the wrecking yard and we will never speak of them again.

One day the PT Cruiser will become so rare that they will go for ridiculous 6 figure sums at auctions. On that day, I will know it is time to die.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

The value of the NSX will double in the next 5-10 years imo. They've already started increasing in price over here.

Nooo, don't tell me this. :( I was really beginning to believe I could afford one inside of this decade.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not really seeing what's so bad about that. A car that old could be some high schooler's car or something, and it's an individual look on the cheap. Lord knows no Civic of that vintage has OEM paint worth a drat anymore.

Funny you say that, I saw a Civic today of that exact generation that looked show-room new, a truly rare Honda. I also agree, that tape job isn't the worst thing someone could do to a car by a long shot.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MrChips posted:

So I don't know if I'm late to the party or not, but I just found out today that the guy who was responsible for the design of the PT Cruiser also designed the Chevy HHR.

Someone from this forum posted a page long rant (I want to say it was Muffinpox? Maybe?) about the designer, Bryan Nesbitt, going insane and locking himself in a whole floor of the Chevy design center with nothing but whiskey and cocaine for 18 months. I can't find it and my .doc that had the quote is corrupted. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't think it ever made it to a PYF quote thread.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh sweet gently caress I just noticed the seatbelts are attached to the exhaust-pipe cage with carabiners :gonk:. The amount you would have to pay me to sit in that while it was moving would bankrupt a small country.

e: a classic

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 2, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Nthing the hate for Ford's new look. It goes both ways too, the new Range Rovers look just like the old ones but with new Explorer headlights/tail-lights grafted on. Just awful.

e: or they're cribbing off Rover's new design and I just see a lot more new Explorers than I do Range Rovers. Either way, it looks bad.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 5, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BoostCreep posted:

My favorite part is that it's a Nissan Quest. GO AMERICA! THIS IS HOW GEORGE WASHINGTON DID IT! ALSO I DON"T SUPPORT MY OWN COUNTRY BUY BUYING AMERICAN BUT I'LL SURE AS HELL MAKE SURE YOU DO!

Except for the part where that generation Quest is built in Mississippi. :rolleyes:

My favorite thing to do whenever someone starts this poo poo is to show them that their "American" car is actually assembled in Mexico or Canada.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cenodoxus posted:

And even more :psyduck:

Remote location turbo, designed for vehicles that don't have much space in the engine bay (or owners with too much space in their head). I've always wondered how much they add to the lag, having all those extra feet of piping. Not that that lets them off the hook for that air filter arrangement.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

Feet of extra turbo piping actually surprisingly doesn't add much, if anything, to turbo lag. I mean, unless you're Holdbrooks and you're contemplating running it eight feet into the air and then five squiggly feet back.

He could incorporate it into the cars whole aesthetic; build up the boost and make them dance like steam pipes! :haw:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh hey, the new Katamari Damachi DLC looks loving dope.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those are those terrible dual-bladed wiper replacements, you can get them in a bunch of different colors. Probably the only reason the bottom of the windshield isn't white.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 14, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think it's pretty funny.

I wish I had thought of it first because I'd do some kind of breathless-prose blog like Speedhunters but for a specific kind of boring commuter car, doing intense technical profiles on "builds" and analyzing everyone's life story about their cars. Well... I guess I could do that anyway.

Both of those things are the perfect way to pass the time while stuck in traffic.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Your first pic is upside down, which made viewing it on my phone hilariously difficult. Also a CVPI/Caprice with that stance generally means they are in the process of being donked. That last car is just horrible.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Tap the pedal to flash brake lights, if that doesn't work drop down a gear and leave them far, far behind. I used to have awful road-rage, although never to the point of physical violence, I just would scream at morons until I thought my heart would explode. Now I either ignore them, maybe call them a shithead under my breath, and increase or decrease my speed until they aren't a problem anymore. Other people's stupidity (or actual malice) isn't generally worth having an accident (or aneurysm) over.

e: so I'm not just contributing to this derail:

The URL at the bottom there is a goldmine of horrible poo poo.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 17, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

iForge posted:

For content: Here, have a woody!

I love that they used the fancy wrought-iron gate hinges for it. So classy.

Edit: And a chain lock! This is totally in the wrong thread, sorry.

iForge posted:

The only thing that really ever gets me angry on the road is when someone pulls out on you on a 1 lane road, and then immediately stops traffic to make another turn 1 block away instead of waiting for you to pass first. :argh:

I had somebody do this to me just yesterday, only instead of going a block it was less than 100 feet. On a 55mph speed limit road. Of course they returned the middle finger they so richly deserved, clearly I was the rear end in a top hat for nearly turning their poo poo-heap Grand-Prix into a kei-car.

Must remember to breathe slow and deep, the shaking will go away soon...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Couldn't find the hellaflush thread, so here I am in this one. Went to a hellaflush show. I don't quite get the taste in colors the flush community has.

God help me, I'm really liking the Passat CC. The color is bad but the rest is really working for me at the moment. Time to schedule an appointment with the doctor, clearly something's wrong.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Kinda surprised at how well the AE86 seems to have held up, all things considered. Although it does look like somebody went through the windshield. :ohdear:

Saw this at my girlfriend's apartment complex. The rear spoiler had to be only a dozen or so degrees off vertical, I can only imagine it acts more like an air-brake and gas mileage destroyer. The rain makes the paint look much better than it was, it had pretty bad orange peal. I went to high school with this idiot. At least the rear window sticker is mostly truthful, I can totally believe he "built" this in his backyard.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

I'm positive that spoiler is wrong on purpose.

Eehhh, knowing the guy who owns this I could maybe see it being done ironicly, but I really don't think it is. I was amazed it didn't have a drift charm on it, all his buddies cars have them. They all gather at the only 24hr gas station in the entire county (conveniently next to the only traffic light) and sit in the parking lot for hours, occasionally making a solitary run down the highway and back, but never past the speed limit since it is also 1/8 mile away from the police station. It is the lamest loving thing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

GODDAMNIT, I came here to post exactly that. :argh:

What's bizarre is the parts car had a blown engine and straight body, the wrecked car had the exact same engine in running condition. Wouldn't it have been easier to just.. drop the good engine into the good body? :iiam:

Based on his level of skill displayed here, I'd be loving terrified to see what would happen if this guy attempted an engine swap.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Vigo327 posted:

As far as i can tell that's a pretty typical half-rear end roll bar/harness installation. There are ways it is not great but nothing that makes it abnormal. It's safer than it would be without a roll bar, certainly!

Actually an improperly designed and/or built cage makes a car even less safe in an accident, since you have added a bunch of steel tubes into your passenger compartment that will become a twisted pretzel of death around you when it inevitably fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
In what is maybe a first for this thread, the blue Civic I posted pictures of a while back has ditched the white 0 offset steelies that stuck past the fender a good 3 inches for some properly backspaced white Enkei RPF1s. Baby steps...:unsmith:.