Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

Stuff White People Like: Giving themselves ecological guilt complexes and trying to buy their way out.

(on an Evoque)

I'm So buying a few of those emblems to put on my refinery huggin' p38.

I was looking for vacuum adjust Bosch E spec lights for my w124 and saw this.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Fullsize pickups are a tool to me, not a toy.

This a thousand times over.

Besides, If its shooting past me at 80+ on the freeway, I KNOW it won't be keeping up off road.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have an ancient as hell fox twinclicker on the fzr. Love the thing.

To add content:

I still wanna bring home a maser. even after seeing this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I understand how slushboxes work and have built a handful.

Women...Now that is black magic. ::v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kill-9 posted:

Thanks again for looking out for me, cursedshitbox. Beer is on me if we ever manage to be in the same place at the same time.

I always look out for fellow rover buddies and help when I can. Plus its keeping a classic on the roads.

Theres a portofino red classic locally thats almost pristine for 650 with a shot engine. I might pick it up and bring it back to health.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll keep an eye out for a P type. I'm in the yards atleast once a week.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Theres a few in LA as well. I'm on the fence about going back to a classic or just returning this one to running and sell it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Huge list of poo poo. "lightstone" knee bolster, glove box, and console from a 99-02 p38. a non-buckled p38 dash would also be great. the plastic thing that flips open with the tailgate. Gen3 ford 21 lb injectors (yellow with a 4 hole spray pattern), I'll likely get a rebuilt set from ebay though.

I'm hunting for GRD boxes for the baja, but that thing is on hold until I move though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I typically score shitloads of tools at the yards, and change. tons and tons of change.

Yeah lightstone is the color, its the cream colored poo poo. if you cant find that, the "walnut" (tan) door cards from the 99-02 models will have parts I need.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

West SAAB Story posted:

Pretty sure that the Germans and South Africa still have better technologies than the UK..

Considering Bmw Owns Rolls and VAG owns Bentley. whaddya expect!

Still under BMW ownership apparently :v:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 7, 2013

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Las Vegas.

I also saw a ford aerostar with the roof/doors cut off yesterday, but no photo of that pile.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

I can't be completely certain but it looks like there is a rope/strap securing those mattresses longitudinally as well as laterally; what's so terrible as long as they're not going 70?

Beats the hell out of those landscaping trucks that litter our roads with unsecured tools...

only one rope. also on the highway, so 70 or better.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
:stonk: that poor merkur.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Plates aren't art, they serve to identify your vehicle, show that you paid the correct road tax, etc. Anything beyond that is a waste of taxpayer money.

Might as well get something for the 300 god drat dollars I gave them.

Bad dmv worker attitude alone isn't worth it man.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
most of what he has there looks fine to me.

Good parts even.

the spacers, eh. the Y bar should really be upgraded though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
holy loving poo poo.

Now the same needs to be done to the little shits that did that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Case in point. 200lb trailer, each tire/wheel is around 100-150lb. gutless 190e pulled it without much care.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A lot of euro/asian stuff was under rated to not compete with the american truck market.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
How does poo poo like that pass inspection there but toiletjeep isn't allowed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
its a Ford!

:suicide:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why not? Its certainly a thing to throw "range rover grilles" on OBS chevies.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chuu posted:

I'm trying to imagine what driving around in winter would be like in a world where ABS wasn't standard.

It'd be like a snowy winter in the south.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all just reminded me that this new years, it's projected to snow here in Vegas.

We have one of the largest outdoor crowds that day, and drivers who lose their God damned minds in a quarter inch of rain.

Fuckers here lose their goddamn minds with the first flashing light, much less loving anything else.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I knew a guy several years ago that was driving his sandrail on a public road, he got a little too careless with the throttle and flipped it.

His arm ended up between the cage and road.

he didn't lose his arm, but man the scar was god drat ugly as gently caress.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

Clearly back problems are terrible car stuff.

And Terrible seats. You can NOT forget terrible unsupportive lovely loving seats.

Sinestro posted:

It was the oddest thing growing up. My dad used to hoon the poo poo out of his cars when they were slow and terrible, including a loving terrifying memory of going 110 mph on the highway in a rust-riddled Kia Spectra that literally wobbled and flexed at the middle at that speed, but he finally got a good, fast car and now refuses to go over 70 mph or go around a corner with any sort of force, and yells at me when he is driving with me for doing that. I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU, DAD!

I have fond memories of my father doing stoppies in a 80s conversion van sending all of us from the rearmost seat flying into the backs of the front seats. Good times!
Mothers driving? Prior to the accident she'd flat foot the thing everywhere. Ditches included. Post the incident? She'd do 40 on the god drat interstate.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

This is 80+% of it: DON'T LIFT OR YOU WILL BE PUNISHED ACCORDINGLY

People who haven't has the opportunity to learn any sort of car handling or performance driving that end up behind the wheel of a car with a decent amount of horsepower and try to hoon are asking for it.

Put em in a aircooled porsche and let em lift. :smuggo:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

I thought the B16b cams were more aggressive than what came in an ITR anyway.

Yeah but if they're spinning at 1/3 the crank speed instead of 1/2....

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Looks like exhaust pipe.

I've seen better welds with two car batteries!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Everyday Lurker posted:

That's poor people thinking. You're thinking like a poor person. :colbert:

Garage parking supremacy. No icy windows, no icy mirrors.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I still love all that imperial threadding with metric heads on Rover V8s. Brilliant idea your midland drunkards.

It was imp/imp before bmw got involved. :D

GM is a nasty offender of the metric/imperial mashup too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ford superduties are hilariously easy to break into as well.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

What? That's clearly the passenger door.

Good thing you're pretty.

Sudo Echo posted:

Just gonna savor this post

Yeeeeuuuup.

he's obviously from a place that drives on the wrong side of the road

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I didn't know Mary had a thing for bad boys.

Seriously though why put a mural on your pickup of you being pursued by the police, and if you're going to do that, why put the Virgin Mary on it?

To bless the 4 threads holding the sparkplugs in.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

OK, smart rear end - fix your TV. Or MIG welder.
OR, for the vast majority of people, your car/truck.

No prob!

Good. gently caress em.

Motronic posted:

It's not just pulling codes. It's replacing parts that need to be "paired", and replacing ECMs that come blank that need software loaded on them and configured.

This is not a new problem. My skid steer is from the mid 2000s. The right side joystick went bad. I got a new one. It cost $300 to get Bobcat to plug their laptop in and "pair" the new joystick that I had already installed. Yes, I had to bring it to them. No, I didn't even bother taking it off the trailer nor was it necessary.

Does it make sense for the joystick to require pairing in a technical sense? Maybe - I assume it's on a canbus or something similar, and perhaps there is no good way to identify it to the ECU without saying "use the device with ID number <blah>" as the right side stick". That could be technically reasonable, or it could be complete bullshit.

If one could buy the interface cable and software for a reasonable price it wouldn't matter. But very often you can't buy either at ANY price as availability is limited to authorized dealership service shops only.

Something like a joystick in my opinion shouldn't need that. loving thing should have a handshake with the controller and set it self up. Plug it in, run it through the min/max. It's not even hard to implement, but nope, gently caress the guy trying to fix his poo poo hisself. This is likely done from a liability perspective. If Joe Dingus blows his poo poo up he's likely gonna blame the manufacturer for his mistake. This is also not new at all. Laptops and dealer servicing are the modern equivalent of special sockets, wrenches, and other assorted tools to keep the average individual from digging in places they shouldn't.
Software or hardware as a service isn't anything new. The issue comes from integrating one with the other in markets where it's completely unreasonable to do such. Like everything else goin' right now, this is driven by data. Not being able to fix it yourself is a byproduct of the advanced controllers on the machine gathering information and phoning it home.

That said, it's all loving bullshit. I'm all for right to repair. If you can't fix it, you don't own it. This applies to a hell of a lot more than just Teslas and John Deeres.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Isn't that all restorations?

Yup. for about 99% of em.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

a primate posted:

What is going on here? Front and back were both lower on the right side.

EAS things. Partial system failure, Each corner has its own valve and height sensor.
Who the gently caress knows.
EAS controller in a bad mood.
Fault on the network.
Old airbags
Shithead owner.
British piece of poo poo.
goes on and on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

gently caress.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

I've got a buncha scars from crashing those loving things as a kid.

They're deathtraps, and absolutely own.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

redgubbinz posted:

Underpowered cars are great, I paid for the whole tach and all forward gears, I'm gonna fuckin use em

We do it for the noise. The sweet sweet noise. There's no better thrill than driving some underpowered piece of poo poo at 140% of its abilities.

100hp to the ground. 7000 lb.
then a huge fuckoff turbo came along.
so probably 101hp on the ground. and a camper. so it's now 11000lb.
5 forward gears on stick one. 2 on stick two. It'll twin stick just fine.

now riddle me this. WHY IS THIS THE FASTEST loving THING ON THE ROADS. Biturbo shitbox mershitties v8 with 650 hp? WHY AM I OUTPULLING THEM ON A 6% GRADE OR A loving ENTRANCE RAMP. You got the power. loving. USE. IT.

bike? ~100 something hp to the ground, 470lb, on knobbies and a pre-runners amount of suspension travel. it's big and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

ili posted:

How do you get a 4wd stuck on flat wet grass? I'm not doubting you, just curious having done a fair bit of off road driving and also driving falcadore utes on grass and unpaved tracks and never managing to get stuck myself.

Walmart budget (m)all-terrains.