Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Rujo King posted:

Going back to bizarre car finishes for a moment, if I took my steel hood, stripped it down and polished it up, would I theoretically be able to use a bluing process as is employed in gun finishing? Because having a blued steel Subaru would be absolutely bitching, theoretically speaking of course.

I suppose it would be possible, although most bluing is done in a tank, with a heated solution if I remember right. You'd need a much bigger tank then the average gunsmith is going to have to do body panels. I agree it would look cool though.
There's also cold bluing, but I don't know how much of a pain it would be to do something that big and get any kind of uniformity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Saw this thing the other day when I went out for lunch.
It might be hard to tell, but that body kit in the front is all scraped to poo poo, and the rear matched it. You can just about see the enormous wing it's got too.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Slavvy posted:

What is this?

Looks a lot like a Pontiac Sunfire to me.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Before I saw the link to the article, I thought it was someone trying to DIY walnut shell polishing.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

razorscooter posted:

In all fairness, that was meant to be bad for the cellphone ads it was in.

This wasn't.

Put a '70s brown and orange paint job on it and I'd drive that everywhere.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

What was the thought process leading up to this?

"oh gently caress, a speed bump! Better stomp my brakes and go over it at an angle."

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My '06 325i has that feature, and I agree it great for hot days so I can open the windows while I'm walking up. Mine doesnt' close the windows with the lock button though, which would actually be more useful when I invariably forget to roll the rear windows back up and get out of the car.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

No picture since I was driving, but I saw a matte black, murdered-out Audi TT today. It was sort of adorable, like a 10 year old white kid throwing gang signs.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Holy poo poo. Normally I hate sidecars because I can't help but fixate on how much better the bike would be without this great stupid third wheel thing attached. But in this case it's like...an organic, fundamental side car vehicle that you could never reduce to a motorcycle, and it uses an engine/drivetrain that was always more suited to a car than a bike in the first place. Magnificent in every way.

If you told me that thing was from that Battlestar Galactica 1980 movie they did, I would have believed it. I wanna ride that while wearing a Viper pilot helmet.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

iospace posted:

Could be worse, could be Toyota's version of the Smart Car with these stickers:

I am sad this is in my state.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I wonder how many other cars he's gouged by ramming those side pipe things in to them when he opens the doors.

Also, tool boxes on each end of the bed.
Any bets on whether that air box on the hood is connected to anything?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

To continue plate chat, I miss the old WI plates. Black letters on reflective yellow. The most boring utilitarian plates ever.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The headlights are really what makes it great.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Faster Blaster posted:

I really wish three had been more daylight when I happened upon this thing. It sounded awful.

I refuse to believe that garbage heap was moving under its own power.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I turned on "What's My Car Worth" after watching F1 Quali today. Holy poo poo is this terrible. I knew boomers had driven up muscle car prices, but drat.
Also, guy driving an '89 Ferrari 458 TB says he doesn't like gated shifters. Then the '50's Corvette from Cuba that had a fiberglass front end rebuilt after an accident and a bunch of other work done. It's Cuba, so no access to the right parts. They still valued it at $100k. What the gently caress is happening here?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've grown to hate the word "resto-mod"

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I have no idea, I just switched it on. The Cuba car wasn't a full segment, just one of their viewer email things.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Did they zip-tie a phone holder to the steering wheel?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Hope you don’t need those controls on the right side of the screen while driving.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Does that have a window net?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wait, are those stickers?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My neighbor has been out working on his project Honda today. By working on it I mean running it in his driveway for hours at a time, with the engine constantly surging up and down. I have no idea what he’s trying to accomplish, and I suspect he doesn’t either. He’s not actively doing anything during this, it just sits and revs up and down the whole time.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

GD_American posted:

Don’t yuck someone’s yum

I’m not trying to say his choice of project is bad. I just can’t figure out why he keeps leaving it running for hours at a time when he’s not actually working on it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

It has suicide doors doesn’t it?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Our former neighbor is a mail carrier with a RHD Jeep. He was out in his driveway replacing the brakes every couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

To be clear, he was working on the brakes all the time to replace pads worn down by driving a mail route.