Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I know 'scene' is just another way of saying 'stupid' but these cars look like some sort of ADHD cargo cult effort.

It's like the owner saw something on a car and thought, hey that looks good, and then decided to cover his own car with them without ever finding out what that thing was actually for or where it needed to go.

How else do you explain a snorkel coming out of the van's door? Or having snorkels at all, because I'm guessing they run on petrol, never cross rivers or own a water bra.

See also: lovely cars covered in spoilers made out of pvc pipe, plywood or old metalwork loveseats. Or cars with five hundred fake shark fin mobile phone antennas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Warcabbit posted:

It could be worse!

Using science, I can now reveal what it would be like driving within ten miles of thing on a sunny day:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

kastein posted:

I dunno, somehow I like it, though the roofline needs to be higher at the back and those headlights look incredibly dumb.

I was in traffic behind a Range Rover Evoque a few weeks ago and before I recognised it, I honestly thought the owner had either put two tonnes of lead in the back of had jacked up the front by half a metre.

Their roofline at the back is beyond ridiculous. It honestly looks like it about to fall over backwards when you see it from behind. I've tried to find a decent picture to illustrate my point, but all of Rover's images of the car from the rear have been taken from around knee height.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Memento1979 posted:

Holden Torana Hatch Hutch. This was sold by the factory, to take advantage of the inexplicable Australian fascination with camping.

Camping rocks :argh:

Of course, camping is a lot more fun if you get to do it in something like this:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Astroman posted:

This looks like something I'd be toodling around a post apocalyptic landscape in, going from one dystopian city to another, destroying evil computers and having wacky adventures while wearing polyester jumpsuits. :allears:

Perhaps with highly trained crew of Young People (and a talking chimpanzee)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63_lcQUdxxE

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Wow! How fast must that guy have been driving in reverse?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

KozmoNaut posted:

Someone mentioned people trying to commit insurance fraud by throwing themselves on the hoods of cars. Here's a compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFZVIwW8kY

The part at 3 minutes in almost had me in tears. Given the state of driving in Russia, I've always wondered why the drivers don't just haul off and smack the scammers.

Finally one did.

I know it's wrong to laugh at what is basically an assault, but I can well imagine how pissed I would be if someone tried that on with me. Add to that the fact that all Russians seem at least slightly insane (and drunk) at all times, I'm surprised more videos of the accident scammers don't end with the 'victim' getting kicked in the head and thrown into the gutter.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I remember when I first heard about the PT Cruiser, I thought it was great that a major car manufacturer was finally looking back to the incredible, organic styling of the beautiful cars of the 60s for inspiration.

Boy, was I wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Shai-Hulud posted:

Thats why, as a nerd, i love the interior of the Citroen DS5:

Switches in the roof! :dance:

I'd be constantly playing airline pilot if I had those in my car.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mister Kingdom posted:

How about a terrible video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z2AJkRUNIo

That's not gone well.

For me the worst thing in that video was right at the start. I hate, hate, hate people who try to merge onto a highway at stupidly slow speeds :argh:

Accelerate to match speed with traffic, then merge. NOT the other way around.

I get that the car with the camera in it probably knew the other car, given the Ferrari badge in their own car. And I can guess that the car that crashed may just have been slowing down to allow the other one to overtake it, but that's almost equally stupid. You don't overtake on the onramp! Especially not right at the part where it meets the highway.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Every part of me says to hate those horrible little cars, but I just can't. They're too adorable :allears:

Look, a ute version:

Adorable!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

PainterofCrap posted:

Purpose built...much stouter.

Multiply by ten and you get this:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Boomerjinks posted:

Turbo Herkimer from the Mystery Men sequel I can only watch in my mind. :smith:

For a movie that was so thoroughly panned when it came out and lost so much money at the box office (cost $65m, made back $33m), it's amazing how whenever someone posts a picture of an unpainted vaguely van-shaped vehicle there will be a comment referencing Herkimer Battle Jitneys.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Post your biggest wheel gap!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

Whoops....

When they go bad, they go very bad.

Perspective:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Devyl posted:

Holy poo poo. Is that the (probably) dead driver floating in the second?

No, it's a buoy or something*. If the shot was taken just after the truck fell in, the water would be all messed up with dust.

*I hope!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Seat Safety Switch posted:

To be fair, maybe the Micra owner parked after some other cars arrived, and the other cars left before you arrived, thus making the Micra owner look like a douche.

I hate when that happens to me. I always want to leave a little note of the side of my car saying, "I'm not a gigantic douche, honest! There was another car here forcing me to park like this."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I looks like the owner was going for a hohloma effect. And failed miserably, which is a pity because hohloma can be really pretty.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

InitialDave posted:

All classic British vehicles use total loss oiling systems. The dividing line is whether or not it's intentional.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson was talking about a new Jag once and mentioned how they outsourced the onboard computer system to the Germans because Jaguar engineers couldn't figure out a way to make it leak oil.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Not my photo, but I sure hope they don't get rearended

You see explosion danger, I see a sign saying "FREE FUEL!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Smoked tailights are one of those things where I like the idea of it, but never the execution.

Making your indicators blend in with the rest of your car for aesthetic reasons, I can understand. But it's always done so drat poorly. Maybe if they used an LCD screen and set it to black when they weren't using their turn or brake signals and had it turn transparent when they were?

Like the glasses they use for some 3D effects:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Serperoth posted:

Pretty much what veedub said I think. All the Red Bull people I've seen handing cans at my university have been hot girls, and it seems like a very low-stress thing, considering that most uni students like free stuff and Red Bull, making free Red Bull a very easy "sell". Raises brand presence, they make money, uni students get free Red Bull. The Minis they use don't even look particularly ugly.

Minis? Those poor college girls are getting ripped off. Around here, they drive these:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

kastein posted:

I'm with DV on this, except swap the crossed out word for the not crossed out one.

e: I'm assuming by the fact that they use Volvo Suggas that this is in Sweden, so that goes double.

Nope, Australia. Came as a big surprise to see them all the way over here being used for Red Bull promos. They used to have little utes with a golf tournament cheque-sized Red Bull can in the back. Now it's all sexy old Vovos.

EDIT - I just found out from a workmate that Red Bull is actually a bit naughty. Only a very few are actually Suggos. The majority are modified Land Rover Pumas. I had noticed there were differences between the cars, but had never been close enough to get a good look before.

Not a Volvo:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 24, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kill-9 posted:

That's a good idea. And more importantly, cheap! I've always distrusted the magnetic boxes. I'll do that tonite. Thx.

A hitch safe is great for securing stuff:

It even comes with a cover so people can't see that it's there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

88h88 posted:

I seem to recall this particular Rolls was designed around you having a chauffeur (and he was sat open to the elements).

*edit: here we go:

They should have just called it the Rolls Royce gently caress You Pleb concept car.

I'll be comfy inside my million dollar cocoon, you sit out there in the rain and suffer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Boomerjinks posted:

Always worth bringing up

Oh god, I can hear the loving promo for it right now. "And there's even room for a garden hose!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cakefool posted:

It makes a hell of a difference in sound levels both inside and out as well.

Then the manufacturer should build form-fitting sound dampening material directly into the bonnet so it all lifts out of your way when you open it :colbert:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ironblock posted:

:wtc: Why would you intentionally reupholster your Corvette's interior in barf colored velour?

Ohhh, that's velour. I honestly thought the interior was all mouldy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

Nearly every cop I've ever met has one of these to plug in (to turn off the seat belt dinger).

Now that's a good idea.

I loving HATE the seatbelt chime. If I get into a car and it starts making an alarm noise, I expect it to be something important, like my car has just given birth to my air-conditioner or I'm on fire. Being the owner of many lovely cars in my time, my seatbelt is always the last thing I put on before I drive and that beeping just gets right under my skin.

I currently use a seatbelt clip which prevent the seatbelt from fully retracting and it does stop the chimes.

The downside is that this leaves the drat belt too long and it's always getting caught in the door when I get out and is slowly damaging the belt.

Now I'm going to have to decide if I'm willing to take the hit to my dignity and buy one of those extenders.

EDIT - aannnd it doesn't work on my car :(

I just tried the idea out by removing the clips from my seatbelt and fully retracting it. Then I plugged in the belt from the passenger side into the driver's side buckle and the car still beeped when I turned the engine on. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with a too-long seatbelt.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 27, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Safety Dance posted:

If it irks you that badly, just unplug the sensor.

It would involve pulling the interior off the side of the car to get at the plugs attached to the seat belt tensioner :effort:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

FogHelmut posted:

Where can I buy one of those? I have a broken one, never could figure out what they're called.

Seat Belt Stop Clips aka Seat Belt Stoppers

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Does your car have a way to stop it? My car has a "code" where you turn the key to on, off, on and hit the trip reset or something to that effect to turn off the annoyance.

I've been hunting around with google since I last posted here and I found this in the US versions of my car's manual. I don't know if it'll work on my Australian version (and it's not included in my manual) and it's after midnight here so I won't be checking until tomorrow.

This is some insane voodoo poo poo:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Why not simply put the seat belt on before starting the car?

As I said, I've owned a lot of old lovely cars in my time where putting on your belt last was just what you had to do. In the face of weird engine noises, unexpected temp gauge spikes and the like, every time you started the car you needed to be ready to hop back out and kick it.

Even now that I drive a reliable car, 50% of the time I'll open the door and put the keys straight into the ignition and turn the engine on even before I get in, just so that I can hear it turn over.

Also, the two hands thing xzzy mentioned.

quote:

I don't mind the chime too much, but it would be better if it only woke up after the car was put into drive

And this would be a perfectly acceptable solution. I never go anywhere without my seatbelt on so it would let me keep the safety feature active while not having it smack my across the head every time I go for a drive.

And I've started a huge derail, so I'll stop here. It's more of a "trivial annoyances" than "terrible car stuff".

Here's something we can all agree on:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The only car accident I've ever had in my life was doing this. I was reversing a ute full of crap up to a porch to make it easier to unload and decided it would be a great idea to lean right out so that I could get as close as possible, rather than being smart and getting out and physically checking the distance.

Of course, I leaned too far, stomped the pedal trying to get my balance and put a lovely dent in the back of my car.

Life lesson learned - never take the lazy route, it's a lot more effort. And more expensive :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

dissss posted:

I'm immediately reminded of my late uncle's XJ12

Just looking at this, there's something inherently wrong about what you're seeing. It's like the first time you ever see a Rat King

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/yeBZyWb.jpg:nms:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

poo poo, better slow down the guy in front's brake lights just came on. Wait, what?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Linedance posted:

The Best License Plates. End of discussion.

Not even going to try to argue with this. When you're right, you're right.

Love to get me a goddamn polar bear licence plate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

revmoo posted:

ELO may actually be the one classic rock band that NOBODY hates.

You can find entire albums by ELO and a tonne of other prog rock bands on youtube.

Pardon me while I go listen to Out of the Blue :rock:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

davebo posted:

This is exactly why I hate hellaflush. People can do whatever they want to their cars for fun or aesthetics but if your car can't handle driving on poorly maintained public roads with unforeseen bumps and construction, and you end up broken down in the middle of the road then that's now affecting everyone else because they cut corners on their dumb hobby. I think the same can be said of people unwilling to pay to properly maintain their vehicle and not drive on bald tires. If you can't afford to make your car not dangerous then it shouldn't be on public roads.

It horrifies me that there are places that don't have safety checks and enforceable road worthy standards that the police actively check.

I'm not talking petty poo poo like an indicator out and the cop being a dick and not letting you duck into a petrol station and buy a new globe, I talking the people who drive vehicles which are going to kill someone.

The guy who has a jerry car on the passenger seat for a fuel tank. The person who broke their steering wheel and replaced it with a monkey wrench. The person driving a car whose frame is held together by loving timber. The person who lost a wheel and replaced it with an entire upright trolley. The other guy who lost a wheel and welded a wheelbarrow wheel in there. The guy who added air conditioning to his car by stuffing an actual A/C unit to a window and bolting a small generator to his boot.

I wish I was joking

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I would never buy one, accept one as a gift, or be seen dead in one. But part of me wishes I could be someone else for a day and just gently caress around in this tiny piece of poo poo because it's so drat stupid it has to be fun.

It looks like a Micro Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Puddin posted:

How the gently caress did they get that last one off whatever it was attached to.

The only thing I can think of is that the bolt was even more rusted and the nut just fell off.