Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Saw this turd at the junkyard. Note the windshield markings... my only question is WHO THE HELL STEALS SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

It's a civic. It most likely had expensive RIMS, a body kit, and some sort of motor that is highly desirable to thieves who are trying to hit the deadline for Race Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

assfucker420 posted:

3000GT I presume? I sincerely hope that isn't a VR4.....

It's a Dodge Stealth. He wouldn't pop the hood, so I can only assume and hope it's a non-turbo. Interesting use for Scion headlights... and what looks like tractor trailer taillights.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Challenge accepted. $8.64 (US) for a US gallon. $8.96 for premium. And I'm using premium at a rate of 12-15mpg. :rodimus:

I only paid $4.49 yesterday for premium (91 octane) here in Los Angeles, but I also pay $165 a month for the privilege to see a doctor if I'm sick. (and then have to pay more once I'm actually there, for all medications, etc.) So it all works out in the end.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrPain posted:

I watched Goldfinger for the first time in a long time last night.

This scene still makes me cry every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0H0C6FNO5U

It was nearly a new car at the time and they were making plenty more. After reading the description in that video, they didn't even destroy the '64 picture car. They went and bought a used '63 to crush, and it was only one.

It's like seeing a brand new Aston Martin being smashed in a new Bond film now. Nobody gets all upset when it's a brand new model in a modern film. Yes it's a gorgeous amazing car, but it's not rare yet and you can go purchase another brand new one right now if you wanted to. Plus now they typically have 12-15 identical cars since they all have to be made to look a certain way for each scene, and they are often ordered from the manufacturer specifically for the film to reduce cost. Still you don't see people getting all upset when a modern car gets destroyed in a film.

Now if an original '63 Continental was being crushed in a new movie today I'd be all up in arms over it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hashal posted:

I could have sworn I saw something where pretty much any car is a shell in a modern day movie (that is completely destroyed).

Absolutely not. It is much cheaper just to buy a real car and destroy it than pay someone to create a replica. In the film industry nobody cares about vintage this or classic that. Why spend $20,000 on a replica of a classic muscle car when you can buy the real thing for 10? It all comes down to the bottom line and what fits in the budget. You should see how many real vintage items are used as props and then thrown away after a shoot because it's cheaper and easier to dump them in a dumpster than go through the process of selling them off again.

I've witnessed conversations like this first hand:

"what should we do with these perfect condition 1930's deco radio and refrigerator?"
"we're done with that scene. just trash 'em."

The film industry is extremely wasteful.

This was a very real '70 Charger that was destroyed. In fact they destroyed quite a few of them for the first film alone.

What is common is building a replica of a super rare car out of another vintage car because the original version is usually too expensive to buy for the film. They would buy, for example, a base model '67 Mustang with a 6 cylinder engine and build it to look like a GT500 instead of buying an actual expensive Shelby car. While this is somewhat better, they are still destroying probably several classic mustangs in the process.

Here's a good video showcasing the cars that were built for the 4th Fast and Furious movie. They built 240 cars for the film and destroyed pretty much all of them. Don't click if you don't want to see piles of wrecked Gran Torinos. They bought 9 of them for the movie, built them all to look the same, and then wrecked 8 of them during filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778mkceE0UQ

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw this today. I think it belongs here.

I always knew used car prices were inflated in California, but this is ridiculous.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Passenger car tires/rims are light as hell... just hold it up and put the bolts in? No reason to try and balance it.

I had to help someone mount his 19" competition package BBS M3 wheels with lug bolts and it sucked even with two people.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Just leaving this here.

Maybe you could just leave it here a tiny bit smaller?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You can leave the IMG tags, just put a lowercase "L" before the ".jpeg" and it will become a thumbnail.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So you just really hate the Impreza wagon then? Other than the taillights and badging on the hatch, they look pretty identical to me.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bung posted:

I wouldn't put a ring sticker on unless the particular car had been driven there.

Which is a shame, because the whole point of that sticker is to hopefully strike up conversation with another enthusiast who has also raced on the ring, regardless of happening to live in Nurburg or thousands of miles away. So basically people in the US who have been there but in a rental car since they can't bring their actual car to Germany (like me) can't identify themselves.

This is a stupid rule.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Poing posted:

Your 'Ring sticker is about as likely to strike a conversation as your 26.2 sticker.

My old roommate who ran marathons talked to people with that sticker all the time. :shrug:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is so awful. :(

What is a funny prank to one person is $1,500 to someone else.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

Meanwhile, at WalMart..

(not my photo)

My favorite part is that it's a Nissan Quest. GO AMERICA! THIS IS HOW GEORGE WASHINGTON DID IT! ALSO I DON"T SUPPORT MY OWN COUNTRY BUY BUYING AMERICAN BUT I'LL SURE AS HELL MAKE SURE YOU DO!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lovely phone pic, but this was ridiculous. Looks exactly like a power wheels.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Das Volk posted:

I'm not usually one to borrow from Reddit, but HOLY poo poo

Layin' frame!

Is there a story to this for us non-redditors?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's a really terribly designed rally stage I found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCLofvvuDo

Look at that pile of cars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBjtfhj8VFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzn4d7LTmqw

At least some people managed to avoid it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wChLlD9fkeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEC7sLymOGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J256z3TgGIs

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fucknag posted:

Seriously, this is an even more vivid demonstration than that vid from a few years back where they filmed an offset crash between an 09 Malibu and a 59 Bel Air.

I wish they would have left the engine and transmission in the 59 so it would be an actual worthwhile test. The people in the Bel Air would be dead regardless, but it sure would have done a lot more damage to the Malibu. The test ended up being more like "here is what happens when you put some thin sheet metal in front of a full weight 2009 Chevrolet at speed"

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

The car had it's engine and transmission intact and was in drivable condition.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/?_r=0

Fair enough.

Though I'd argue that car WAS museum quality.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Best I can figure is that it ran head-on into the pole in front, and it looks like it did so offset to the left side of the car, so it pivoted slightly around the one in front with enough force to smush the rear bumper against the smaller pole in back.

That's exactly what went through my mind as soon as I saw it. The fluids on the ground under the engine pretty much confirm that.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess this counts as terrible. How do you even do this? Mistake the gas for the brake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hStcyDj830Q

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angryhampster posted:

I'd still love to have a 300M Special:

I think this is still a GREAT looking car.

It should have had an Eagle badge on the front if Chrysler hadn't killed it off. It's the spiritual successor to the Vision.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Popped up on my Facebook feed.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neptr posted:

That was one of my favorite vinyls on Need for Speed: Underground

Look closer.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

Good lord.

Even the girls are like "really?".

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Uhhh...OK. But, no. The US got this overweight pig in turbo trim as well. It still isn't all that impressive nor as fast as it looked from the outside (any holy poo poo that plastic interior and soup-stirring-reminiscent 5-speed).

I owned one for about 5 minutes some some back in the early 90s when I was flipping auction cars.

If yours was turbo and a 5 speed, it was a pre '94 model since 94+(2nd generation) received the 6 speed and a huge power increase from 296hp to 320, as well as a host of other changes. Believe it or not, the later model 3000GTs, while heavy, we're actually pretty darn quick for their heft at 3,800lbs. Driving a 1st gen and making blanket statements of how terrible the car is is like driving a C4 corvette and saying the C5 is just as lovely.

Edit: it was also desiged as a touring car. It was supposed to take you quickly where you wanted to go while looking good and feeling luxurious. Hence the digital climate control, active aero, leather, power seats, and other stuff that made it high tech and heavy. If you wanted a lighter nimbler car, they had the FTO and Eclipse to choose from.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 24, 2013

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

The (DSM)Eclipse and the Evo weren't ever sold in the same markets, except for a few convertibles sold outside of NA because Mitsubishi didn't have a convertible anywhere else in their lineup. The FTO came much later too (1996?).

Both 1g and 2g DSMs were exported from the US all over. Japan got eclipses, as well as Europe, Russia, Middle East, etc. They were almost always FWD though. That's why the eclipse in the Gran Turismo games is called the Eclipse GT, is only FWD, and had amber colored rear turn lenses.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

NOW YOU TOO CAN SUFFER AS WE HAVE. :getin:

Seriously though, why would anyone want to import the shittiest car GM has cranked out in a while. I mean, it looks kinda cool, but it sucks to drive, seems to break down a lot, and has a horrible interior even by GM standards.

You mean the Chrysler PT Cruiser? Made by Chrysler?

It did make them a making GBS threads TON of money though, as terrible as it is.

Edit: Also I can't say I've seen one broken down before. I know a guy who had a hand-me-down PT Cruiser with almost 300k miles on the original engine and transmission. The interior was fairly trashed, but mechanically it was sound after 10 years of abuse.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 8, 2014

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

my darling feet posted:

I ran over a curb with my '13 Ford Focus, and now my decorative undercarriage is hanging off the driver's side. I can't just leave it, because experience shows it would bounce up and down with my car driving and I'd eventually be driving over it (not good).

If I go to the body shop, will they charge me to replace the whole front, or can I glue it back or tape or blow torch? I hate to hit up my insurance company for this, since I was in a fender bender with a kid in a grocery store parking lot in October.

Pictures would help tremendously.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blood Magnet posted:

Looks pretty secure to me. I like the large appliance just hanging off the tailgate, with just some rope holding it on.

Ooh they used rope! Fancy. Most of the small trucks overfilled with probably stolen bikes in SoCal just use good old gravity and the fact that there is so much intertwined metal that it if they did fall off they'd have to do it as one huge connected pile. Like a rat king of bikes.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Would it kill people to just buy smaller cars, if they have to park in the city every day?

The same thing would happen, you'd just fit more cars in the same space.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bring Back Noid posted:

Oh god...

And the donor car...

Shoot me

IT SOLD FOR ALMOST 8 K

But he's so happy with himself!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

I have no idea.

It's certainly an improvement. I kinda like it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
An ex-lady friend just texted me because her 97 Explorer just overheated and died in the middle of rush hour. Her dad said that you are supposed to pour water on an engine when it overheats to cool it down, so she bought a gallon of water, popped the hood, and dumped it on the engine.

Notice I said ex-lady friend.

Amazing how car dumb the general population is.

Edit:
Just two weeks ago I said she should sell the thing while it still runs since it's at 205k miles and probably won't make it much longer without a pretty expensive problem. I said the same thing to my brother months before his 02 Outback blew a head gasket.

Moral of the story: LISTEN TO YOUR CAR GUY FRIENDS.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 23, 2014

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I would guess that by the time she walked to a store to get a gallon of water and walked back, the engine had cooled enough that it didn't crack anything. Still stupid though.

Unless she had a gallon of water in the trunk for the eventuality. :downs:

It happened on Sunset Blvd in the middle of Los Angeles. She couldn't have been more than a few blocks from a gas station or 7-11. She did say a huge blast of steam came off the engine, so it was definitely still pretty hot. Obviously the exhaust manifolds.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone had a really bad day.

The hood was jumped on, the roof was caved in, windows smashed, and various bits ripped off.

Cheating boyfriend? This was in a really nice part of LA in a quiet expensive neighborhood, and judging by the glass on the ground, this damage happened right where it's parked.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FuzzKill posted:

What is trying to escape from under the hood!?

Part of the side mirror was jammed in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This just popped up on Imgur. Normally I don't repost stuff, but this is too :psypop: not to.