Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I was under the impression that the host using Estus was supposed to heal summoned phantoms, but when I tried to summon Solaire and Lautrec to fight the Gaping Dragon (a bad idea in retrospect) this didn't seem to work. Is there a short radius to the effect or something?

Also, how do I aim bows and other ranged weapons? I've seen pictures of aiming with bows and whatnot to do things like hit the Hellkite's tail, but nothing I've tried has let me do that. I'm using a gamepad, not keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If I'm planning to make my (PvE) character Int/Dex focused, should I be trying to get the weapons I plan to use made into Magic/Enchanted weapons once I get my Int higher than the early Str boost I took so I could use the Zweihander?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

(You can get the Zwei very early in the game if you have the gumption to run past a bunch of skeletons in the graveyard)
I'm only on my first run through the game, and I got this and a bunch of other stuff from the graveyard quite easily. I didn't even die doing it. Just run to the glowies and don't stop for any longer than needed to grab them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are there any general principles for when a weapon should be made magic/elemental instead of taking it to +15?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sarkozymandias posted:

Pyromancer set with Boar helm is basically the sexiest outfit imo.
Boar helm, hollow soldier armor, pyromancer gauntlets/pants. Who run Bartertown?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:argh:

The worst part of this is that I was running a build that should have made them a cakewalk (high END shield tanking) but I thought I couldn't block Smough at all due to his size, so kept trying to dodge and getting killed. Turns out that know, you can do it just fine, and suddenly it's a cakewalk.
Figuring that out was what finally allowed me to beat the Capra Demon for the first time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Got a Man-Serpent Greatsword while just doing an ordinary first run through Sen's. Didn't even have any held humanity to boost the drop rate. Naturally, this is my Int/Dex Pyromancer/Sorcerer who has just enough strength to two-hand the Zwei as a way to plant things in the ground until my magic damage gets better. :v:

How many Attunement slots are suggested? I have three right now, for Fire Orbs, Great Soul Arrow, and Magic Weapon.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Co-op Dark Souls:

What gesture is that?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

gently caress, all I want to do is kindle my fires so I can fight O and S so I keep getting pooped on by invaders. A sparkly blue one came along and one-shot me :negative:
Shoulda paid a visit to Oswald?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

It's good to know I'm not the only one doing co-op for that boss in that same outfit tonight. Only with a bastard sword instead of the baldur side sword.
I'm rocking something close to the same outfit, only with the Zweihander and the Antiquated Gloves to feel pretty. Is the Crimson set just really good as far as light armor goes?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

If you are having trouble taking them solo and you are out of humanity, put your sign down and get summoned! You'll get souls and a humanity for it and it will give you more practice against them. Anor Londo has a lot of invaders, but unless you are unlucky you should be able to summon a couple dudes at the bonfire to help before you get invaded.
I've never been terribly clear on this; I know I need to be human to summon, but do I need to be human to be summoned?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Fair enough, that's pretty cool then that you can get stuff like that if you where where to go and have the skills to do it early on.
They probably also took the Master Key.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do silver knights with spears just ignore your shields when they attack? I've had them go through my +10 Balder Shield like it wasn't there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Genocyber posted:

Also, how do you use an Estus flask on a coop person.
Use it normally, and it will heal them as well (if they're actual people, not NPCs).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I got invaded for the first time today, twice. The first guy I kinda steamrolled, but the second looked like he was wearing the Thorns set and just rolled around endlessly and was generally impossible to get a hit on until he backstabbed me a couple times.

Also I'm kinda sad that Havel's helm is much better in almost every way than my slightly upgraded Fang Boar helm, including being lighter. I'm going to miss that thing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Shima Honnou posted:

Wearing armor for any reason other than looks and possibly poise sometimes is doing it wrong.

But my blue numbers! :qq:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do people like the Moonlight Butterfly Horn for somewhat Int-heavy characters? I'm trying to decide which thing to make with the boss soul. My primary weapons right now are Quelaag's Furysword +5 and Zweihander +10.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I saw a weird thing when bringing in a sunbro. They dropped an item that promptly disappeared, but seemed to play a clip of someone going "Hello!". Anyone ever see anything like that? It seems like an odd thing to hack.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is the Jagged Ghost Blade supposed to be better than the regular Ghost Blade, despite the former being more common? Just looking at the numbers, the Jagged has a lot more power and does bleed damage, while the regular does slightly more on backstabs. Is there something I'm missing here?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've seen plenty of signs in the Parish, Depths, and Anor Londo in the past few weeks.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

I really didn't want to kill that Sunlight dude, he looked like such a chill guy that you want to cheer for. But I want that loving armor and shield, god damnit.
Too bad his gear is pretty mediocre and his power was due to his skill alone!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I know that invaders don't draw aggro from enemies, but can they kill the enemies? It seems like it might be fun to play as a "friendly" invader in the Burg, killing tough enemies for drops, unlocking shortcuts, and showing where items are.

And then dropping a humanity for them to pick up and one-shotting them with a backstab once you get to a good stopping place.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is your appearance on the summon sign locked in when you place it, or does it reflect whatever your character is holding at that moment? I.e., can you hold a catalyst in your left hand when you drop the sign to show that you have sorcery, then hold a shield in that hand while running around waiting to be summoned, but still have the image on the sign reflect the catalyst?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm willing to cut From a lot of slack in that regard, because they're a small foreign studio turning out offbeat games. BioWare, on the other hand, is a big-deal English-speaking studio, and the documentation in their games is even worse.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It seems like ranged attacks in general are hindered by the short lock-on range, especially since dumb-firing sorcery or thrown weapons like knives is almost certain to miss, pyromancy and firebombs have short effective ranges, and bows are sufficiently awkward to use that they're only useful when you've set a trap or can guarantee that the enemy won't be able to reach you for at least a few seconds. When there's a large enemy clearly visible with nothing obstructing your line of sight that you want to get the drop on, it can be really frustrating to know that you basically can't aim manually and are going to have to get much closer than you'd like.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm having a bit of a problem with Solaire in Lost Izalith. I opened up the shortcut and killed 9 bugs before going into LI, but then died like a chump to the Titanite Demon before returning. Now when I come back to the passageway, I can only find 8 bugs and no sign of Solaire, hollowed or otherwise. Have I not triggered something, completely missed out on him, or what?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
:v: Man, this Lost Izalith sure has been a cakewalk! I haven't even seen any sign of that invader that came a few minutes ago. Hey! A crystal lizard! I'm already sprinting, I bet I still have enough time to

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

(I did beat the invader (not Kirk, a dickwraith) pretty handily, but the floor collapsing and seeing all those Cth'ulu guys down in the pit sure was a thing.)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The only thing that was challenging about the Seath fight for me was getting the tail, because he likes to shove that thing right through the wall or smash it up and down on the rare occasions it's exposed. It took a bunch of tries to actually get that thing, and then he went down real quick the run when I got the tail. A Great Fireball with a maxed out ascended pyro hand takes off around 1/6 of his HP.

His tail weapon was totally worth it for my Int character, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cthulhuchan posted:

Easiest way to get his tail solo is to charge right up to his crystal right at the start, then wait. As soon as he rears back to blast you fulla crystals, start running to his backside tentacle. By the time you reach it, he'll have accidentally shattered his crystal and will be reeling just long enough for you to get in a few good swings, and probably just sever the thing entirely.
That's what I was doing, but he had this nasty habit of starting to turn or thrashing his tail right as I reached it, even though he was supposed to be reeling.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Before I go become Darkwraith, I figured it was worth joining the Chaos Servants just to get their pyromancy skills. Is Chaos Storm and the Izalith shortcut worth 30 humanity?
If you aren't a Darkwraith yet, you don't have access to the shortcut because you haven't placed the Lordvessel, right?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do Manus and Kalameet have really high magic resist? Nothing I've seen suggests that they do, but with 44 Int my Moonlight Greatsword +4 and Crystal Soul Spear with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring are doing rather pitiful damage, less than a third of what they do to most enemies. As a result, I'm having a stupidly hard time dealing anything more than chip damage to them, and that's not really cutting it.

Also Kalameet seems to be moving differently than I've seen him do in "how to get the tail videos." He always spins around immediately after charging instead of slamming his tail once. Was his behavior patched or is there something to trigger the slam I'm not seeing?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think the only way to do dickwraithing wrong is to lose to an actual beginner unintentionally. Everything else is just emergent gameplay.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I never got invaded until I hit Anor Londo, and I've only been invaded three times. Two of them were rather ordinary and I beat them pretty handily (no, this isn't counting NPC invasions), even though it was my first run through the game, the other was rolling around infinitely and was impossible to hit.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ElProducto posted:

I'm new and I have a question, go figure. I'm trying to figure out as much as possible on my own but I'm a little frustrated. Bonfires seem pretty far apart and usually have monsters I have never seen before who pretty handily clean all of my various clocks. I lose all my souls and then usually I can get back to my stain but I almost never get to keep them, only maybe the last two or three runs before I hit a bonfire. I always spend my souls, but I lose so many in the process of getting to the next bonfire that I end up wasting a lot. Should I be going back to a bonfire when I get a certain number of souls so I don't lose them?
Don't sweat losing souls, there are always more to get.

quote:

Also some dude told me to ring a bell in a church but I'm off in some loving enchanted forest. Did I miss the bell? Is it behind that huge dragon?
That depends which dragon you're talking about, because either you took the master key as your starting gift (in which case we're talking about a large zombie dragon perched on a cliff edge and you're taking a very roundabout route), or you need to have gotten past the red dragon above a bridge in order to get to the forest at all (usually by taking a route under him and going through the street where there's a big armored boar), in which case you seem to have gone right by the church and a blacksmith on your way to the forest.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tallgeese posted:

You'd also be surprised at how many people say they "outplayed" you, when you then take a look at their stats in the Book of the Guilty and see an awful lot of 99s for an SL1 invader.
Then there are those with 60k sin in the Book, or 60k Humanity given in the Servant Roster. I'm sure those are 100% legit.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think the skull lantern dropped from a Necromancer that suicided when I was nowhere near him, because I saw a mysterious +1000 souls at one point and I haven't gotten one from any of the ones I've seen. The TotG is going to be... fun. Especially since I really want to go there as early as I can and get Rhea to sell me miracles.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Beard Yawn posted:

I feel like such a chump compared to you guys. :( I'm just now trying my second time against the Capra Demon.
I think it took me about ten tries to beat the Capra Demon the first time through.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Just spent 2 hours trying to navigate Tomb of the Giants. Then, found out I really don't need to be there for a long time. Is it worth the frustration to grab the XP ring?
Are you using miracles in your build? If so, there's someone down there you should rescue before leaving (and then make sure you buy their stuff before you defeat the next couple of bosses).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I spent so long trying to hit that Titanite Demon in Anor Londo from above with magic and failing that I'm almost annoyed to have figured out that you can hit him with sunbro lightning from that same angle fairly easily.

45 is a decent level to drop your sign for O+S, right? I haven't had much luck getting bites, and I only need two more medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

scamtank posted:

Long enough that you sorta lose track just as they run out. 90 seconds, two minutes?
It's actually 5 minutes.

• Locked thread