Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Manwithastick posted:

You can't tease - what was the yo mamma joke he unleashed

Enjoy!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Entertainer13 posted:

As great as it is, it still doesn't address the fact she's fighting in high heels

Even if they could manage to fight in high heels and not fall over or break their ankles within 60 seconds they never take advantage of them. Have you ever had someone in high heels accidentally step on your foot? They're not called stilettos for nothin'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I see Porcupine in the very back.

And Charlie Chainsaw right in front of him, the exact two people you'd want in a group hug. :haw:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mimir posted:

Hey, the full version of Shoggoths in Bloom is available as a podcast on Starship Sofa.

Source: Unknown. O'Neil's Batman, I think. I don't know the specifics.

Brave and the Bold #102, written by Bob Haney, pencilled by Jim Aparo & Neal Adams and inked by Jim Aparo & Dick Giordano. Note that the second text box was originally in the next panel.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 24, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Naw, Frank makes art by manipulating/redrawing vintage comicbook panels. He posts his source in a link here but the tumblr trail eventually leads to a dead link.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Question IRL posted:

The best part of those pages is either

Also approximately a thousand cameo appearances by characters like Phone Ranger, Howard the Duck, Armadillo, Porcupine, etc etc..

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

prefect posted:

Hawkeye is "An Avenger's Day Off".

Hawkeye skips training and drives Coulson's flying car Lola to Chicago with Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch where he has many adventures (including singing "Twist and Shout" on a parade float) and all the while he has to avoid Nick Fury who is trying to bust him for truancy.

It'd look something like this.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sonic comics love homage covers.

Etc etc etc x 100.

Metal Loaf posted:

Only Uncanny X-Men #136 is more frequently homaged.

... and guess what Sonic did for issue 136? :v:

Say Nothing posted:

The bizarrely bad art of various Sonic comics has been mentioned before.
Sonic #156.

Hurr.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was also a homage to a classic cover but I can't quite place it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Then there was the time that the fresh new DC artist John Byrne decided to pay homage to the famous Marvel artist John Byrne

:v:

F4 #249 (whose cover has not only been redone by Byrne himself but many other artists) also includes this panel:

It's like a homage Babushka doll.

Edit: maybe we need a homage thread for all these, there's an almost endless supply of them

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 6, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Soonmot posted:

Yup, the "state at room temperature" clinched that. Then a Keaton Batman refrence with the "toys" line.

And almost an Avengers reference with the "post-battle burritos" line.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Judgement posted:

don't know the third guy

Has TV's Dr Phil ever appeared in a comic? It looks like it's supposed to be him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair, I'm totally siding with Wolverine on this one.

That guy was pretty old but not nearly as old as Wolverine so it was a totally fair fight.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dolash posted:

The big comic books have that roving continuity thing, don't they? Like, that's how Batman's always 35 or something? Maybe back when Wolverine was introduced decades ago, he was supposed to have been alive in time for the civil war, but now they've moved that up to more turn-of-the-century. In another couple decades, Wolverine will have cut his teeth on the Great War.

On the other hand, Scrooge McDuck was born in 1867 and he died in 1967.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Uthor posted:

Thanos and Darkseid are now carpooling with Doom:
http://plasticfarm.tumblr.com/post/67356039004/the-second-thanos-and-darkseid-carpool-buddies-of

Be sure to read part one (link at the bottom) if you haven't.

quote:

Inspired by two cosplayers at the 2012 Baltimore Comic Con.

Here's the two cosplayers if someone hasn't seen them:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That's not what I got from his question. What I got was the mental image of Colossus throwing Juggernaut, Fastball Special-style. And I think I'm okay with that.

Closest I've got is Colossus being thrown at Juggernaut, Fastball Special-style.

X-Men #102, 1976

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Did anyone else read those last few posts in JJJ and Spidey's voices or was it just me? That was great. :buddy:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

He's on neither the dark nor the far side, though given the positioning of the sun it looks like he just emerged from a lunar eclipse. So there was no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it was all dark.

There's a caption box on the panel saying "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON". I guess maybe he's chilling out listening to some Pink Floyd?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fuego Fish posted:

The X-Cats are, in order from left to right: Karima "Omega Sentinel" Shapandar (cyborg kitty at the back), Monet "M" (the gloves are the giveaway), Psylocke, Storm, Rachel "90s Costume" Grey, Jubilee, and the tiny guy down below her is Shogo (Jubilee's adopted son).

Easy to figure out who's who when you're keeping up with the book and know the whole cast :v:

Here it is for anyone who can't be bothered going back for the link and then clicking until they find it:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The perspective work is so bad on that cover. :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Transformers U.S. Comic was pretty dire, though.
Exhibit B:

An eeeevil carwash? :raise:

The Decepticons' plan here was to set up prefabricated carwashes at service stations which hypnotized the people who took their cars through it and made them drive to a Decepticon base and siphon off their fuel into their collection silos, meeting their fuel requirements one gas tank at a time. Why they just didn't hypnotize the owners of the service stations and make them hand over thousands and thousands of gallons in one hit was never explained ...

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 6, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dick Trauma posted:

Is that Doctor Bong in the front row? :psyduck:

Yep, and Hippo up the back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

d00gZ posted:

Such dicks!

"Cock rings, the bunch of ya!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dammit I want an armchair of death!

How about a rocket armchair of life instead?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Unlucky7 posted:

Huh, I always assumed MODOKs chair was a part of his body and he was a giant head with arms and legs attached.

Yeah he almost never gets shown without his chair. Here's one instance from wayyyyy back in 1967:

(Tales of Suspense #94)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the burgerFalcon on the poster (which is a callback to the anecdote that the Millenium Falcon's design was inspired by a hamburger with an olive next to it)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Godzilla King of Monsters Vol 1 #23

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wade Wilson posted:

So was that the only reference in the comic, or does Spider-man actually show up at some point?

The Avengers and the Fantastic Four slug it out with Godzilla so pretty much everyone except Spider-man is at the fight:

They battle him for two issues and eventually chase him off the island, which is the point that Spider-man decides to turn up:

Top work, Spidey! :thumbsup:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

In the last panel the knight looks more like Marmaduke than a horsey.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

theflyingorc posted:

There's one where she's tied to a buoy that is much, much worse than any of these.

This one?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

redbackground posted:

Why is all the text photoshopped away?

Here's an unedited version:

Here's a great source for WW covers:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/wonder-woman/4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nope, because it's going for the money shot.

Did someone say 'money shot'?

RELEASE THE BOOB-SEEKING MISSILE!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I like that it doesn't even look like Reed threw a punch at Doom so much that he just kind of casually stretched down and bapped him while he was trying to pose menacingly.

Right when the photographer was about to take their class photo.
"3 2 1 CHEEERS~dammit RICHARDS!!!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vargo posted:

What are the approximate years on these covers?

#205 is 1973.

#68 is 1954. To be fair, on the covers before this she was kicking the poo poo out of all sorts of villains and hardly ever tied up.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 10, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MikeJF posted:

Ice, however, is not polar.

Not since global warming anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

That only works when it doesn't interfere with your name.

He could change it by deed poll to 'Magento' and pretend he's a magician or something, his costume is already the correct colour.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

techknight posted:

Captain Britain (Marvel UK) v1 #11

Iron Man has nipples but Hulk doesn't. :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Metal claws come in real handy when you're so drunk you can't remember how to use a pull tab.

X-Men Annual #11

AnonSpore posted:

Okay, now we know that Logan always uses his claws instead of knives in the kitchen.

I remember an issue where Mojo needed some exciting footage so he decided to spy on the X-Men and broadcast their latest wacky adventure but they were just hanging out at the school playing basketball and poo poo and Wolverine was in the kitchen cutting up celery or something with one claw. Damned if I can remember which issue that was ....

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

What happens if she kills one of her ancestors?

What happens if she goes back in time and becomes her own ancestor and then commits suicide?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'm certain there's a scene in a comic where someone like Dr Doom unmasks a hero and has the exact same reaction.

Hal Jordan sucked at the whole secret identity business:

Secret Origins Vol 2 #36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

Part of that is because they never break character in public

They also don't break character on set if they gently caress up their lines, their blooper reels are amazing.

• Locked thread